How to clean cosmoline inside M1 Carbine magazine

PDA

SanduneCC
March 27, 2003, 10:17 AM
I got some NIW M1 Carbine mags with cosmoline goo all over, inside and out. I can clean the outside but don't know how to get to the inside. There's no intuitively obvious way to disassemble them. Help.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to clean cosmoline inside M1 Carbine magazine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve F
March 27, 2003, 10:25 AM
WD-40 and/or automotive brake cleaner work just fine:cool:

Tropical Z
March 27, 2003, 10:37 AM
Im not familiar with your mags,but you can always soak something in mineral spirits for a day or two and that will remove cosmoline.Just swish em around once in a while.

9mmepiphany
March 27, 2003, 01:42 PM
A. brake cleaner and wd-40 works well for the actively inclined...spray it until it runs clear

B. mineral spirits works better for the zen folks or if you have a large quantity of mags to be cleaned.
1. spirits in a bucket or pan enough to cover the mags.
2. insert mags and let them sit, to break down the grease
3. allow time to pass
4. agitate to loosen any stuburn stuff
5. allow time to pass
6. take them out
7. blow them dry with an air hose
8. remeber to relube

SanduneCC
March 27, 2003, 02:54 PM
Awesome. Thanks all.

Johnny Guest
March 27, 2003, 05:04 PM
For disassembly - - -

The only M1 Carbine mags I have here in the office are old GI, still in wrappers--
I unwrapped one, just for you.:p

At forward end of the base plate, there is a little half-moon shaped indention. This is to keep the plate from sliding forward.

Insert a knife blade or the like between front of base plate and body of the mag. This lifts the little indentation clear of the body.

Use another blade at rear of base plate, ur a small pin punch thru hold toward rear of plate (not sure they all have this hole) and slide plate forward and out of engagement with the folder lips on bottom of the body.

Use due care to capture the spring as the plate clears the lips on the bottom. Spring and follower come right out the bottom of the mag body.

Removal of the gunk: As others have suggested above. Large bristle brush with solvent works okay.
Heavy duty soap and warm water work even better--I like Simple Green or Industrial Purple TM, properly diluted. Rinse throughly, and lube very lightly before reassembly.

Don't forget sides of the follower and the spring itsself.

Best,
Johnny

If you enjoyed reading about "How to clean cosmoline inside M1 Carbine magazine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!