Sacramento Shoot 4-27-03

PDA

45R
March 27, 2003, 11:48 AM
Okay guys here is the reschedule from the last shoot. I'm setting it up for 4-27-03. (Sunday)

Let me know what you guys think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sacramento Shoot 4-27-03" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
QuarterBoreGunner
March 27, 2003, 11:57 AM
I’m in.

I’ve never been to any of those ranges so any of them will do for me as long as we can shoot center fire rifle.

Topgun
March 27, 2003, 12:25 PM
say him be there.

;)

Yolo for me.....and maybe RIBS.

Try try again......

March 27, 2003, 12:56 PM
I'd like to try and come over for it. I'll be moving to Sacramento by August and would like to meet some fellow shooters in the area. Also gives a good excuse to ride the bike over. I have no clue where any of the ranges are, so if someone would be so kind as to give directions I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

9mmepiphany
March 27, 2003, 01:20 PM
doesn't look good yet, but...

i have a job committment every other weekend, but

maybe i can get someone to cover for me...well see how the weather is looking as the date gets closer...see, i really want to meet some of you guys

Sactown
March 27, 2003, 01:59 PM
Looks good for me. Anyone gonna be at Yolo this weekend? Suppose to be real nice weather.

Poohgyrr
March 27, 2003, 07:28 PM
I wrote it in my calendar for 04-27-03 at Yolo.

Now what to bring ??:cool:

45R
March 27, 2003, 07:44 PM
461-

Here is the contact information for Yolo Sportsmans Association.

Yolo Sportsman Association
24189 Aviation Ave
Davis, CA

(530) 662-2349

Do a search for "Sacramento Shoot" and you will find out all the information you need to know about the range.

45R

BTW: Bring all your Benchmade knives and tell everyone your going to do a 2 for 1 special. It will be a great way to meet some shooters in Sacramento. :) Or we can shoot bulls eyes for Benchmades. :)

March 27, 2003, 08:06 PM
My Benchmades? Heck I can't afford to buy 'em, I'm barely makin'a dime selling them. :banghead:
It's like the old saying, " I lose a dollar a unit, but I'm hoping to make it up in volume." :D

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely try to make it.

Poohgyrr
March 29, 2003, 02:57 AM
Hey 9mm,

If you give up food you don't have to work so much ;)......

I gave up food once. But I gained weight, couldn't sleep, and got all grumpy.. So now I'll try living under a bridge so I can work less and shoot more :)... News at eleven.....;)

pittspilot
March 30, 2003, 05:19 PM
Ahhhhh. I may have to miss the shoot again.

I have to go to see NASCAR at Fontana that weekend. Oh well.

9mmepiphany
March 31, 2003, 01:33 PM
i already gave up food to pay for child care. all the money from my offduty gose to daycare for a todler

45R
April 8, 2003, 12:40 AM
9mm-
Can you bring the toy with the rib?

TIA

45R

9mmepiphany
April 8, 2003, 12:45 PM
iwas just thinking that as i was reading the other thread...

i'm hoping to make the shoot, still looking likely...

i'll be happy to bring it out. it is a bull barreled smith m-14...and you'll see how really deficient my cleaning is.

Poohgyrr
April 8, 2003, 02:55 PM
9mm,

Is this one of those fancy bulls eye .38's 45R is asking about ????

You know, the ones that good shooters (not me) shoot tiny groups 'way far away with ?

9mmepiphany
April 8, 2003, 03:25 PM
ayup it is...economy model

1+" diameter barrel (light underlug), full rib, 3 point lock-up, DAO w/trigger stop, white trigger, shaved cylinder release, beveled chambers and a DA trigger pull you'd swear would misfire.

bill davis' shop put it together for me back in the day. that's why i can't understand why anyone would go SA at less than 25 yards with a wheelgun. i sorta doubt i can still get great groups out at 50 yards anymore.

shall i bring extra match ammo too?

QuarterBoreGunner
April 8, 2003, 04:20 PM
bill davis' shop put it together for me back in the day

I can testify also to Bill Davis's work- I have a S&W 625 he did a butter smooth double action and scary light single.

9mmepiphany
April 8, 2003, 05:17 PM
now for a REAL scary light SA...i have a smith m-27 (8.375") that bob chow (s.f.) worked on.

he put a trigger shoe on the narrow trigger. if you can feel the valleys between the ridges on the shoe face, the shot is gone :uhoh:

45R
April 9, 2003, 02:33 PM
Stopppppp I just got my first wheel gun yesturday. I am starting to get ideas now. I just love the way it sounds when I pull the hammer back.

9mm dont worry about how bad your cleaning is. We can boresnake the gun and it'll be good to go. :)

Now did you guys still want to do breakfast before the shoot? All in favor vote A or vote B to meet up at the range. As usual and customary the option of ribs after the shoot is open!!!! We just have to hope to goood weather!

Shalako
April 9, 2003, 05:00 PM
Is Bill Davis the guy from Sacramento? I believe he was off Florin Road...? I've got a 1911 that is sorely in need of a trigger job and I really like the idea of keeping it local.

Is he still there?

Thanks!

ps. sign me up for the shoot!

9mmepiphany
April 9, 2003, 05:14 PM
he's had shops off:
1. legrande
2. in west sac
3. matherfield road

he is has been out of the business for awhile...retired i believe. the last 1911 smith i used in town was dale from DM in north highlands...but he moved to oregon.

you might try paul hattersley, i think he is out in elk grove...i don't have a number at hand just now. he is more combat than target oriented

Shalako
April 9, 2003, 06:45 PM
Thanks 9mm. I'm always a little cautious about my 'baby' and may just consider getting a Nowlin drop in trigger and doing it myself. When you mentioned a reputable gunsmith in Sac I got fired up. Its too bad DM moved to Oregun but who could blame them.
My friend tells of a $40 triggerjob up in Oroville but... I also found a thread telling of an Oroville Gun Butcher. That makes me pause.

Thanks again,
Tim

9mmepiphany
April 9, 2003, 07:13 PM
i'll check and get back to you tomarrow with a number and price or better referals

if i had a 1911 that needed work, i'd let paul do mine...i'd even let him weld up the lugs

Shalako
April 9, 2003, 08:18 PM
Excellent!
(a google search turned up that Paul was/is the armorer for Sac Co Sheriff Dept. Hmmmm......impressive. I could not find contact info though.....)

I'll be interested to see if you can find something on this.....

Thanks again!

Poohgyrr
April 10, 2003, 01:18 PM
I don't know if the Bill Davis shop off Florin Mall Drive across from the Florin Mall shopping center is still open. I understand Branden's bought the Davis business a few years back when Davis himself retired.

I know Mark Kearns was the gunsmith there (with Eric running the front desk) when I took some of my revolvers there for work. I don't have Kearns contact numbers with me, but you should be able to get them from Tom Smith of TNT Gun Sales. Kearns has worked on quite a few pistols for me without any problems. Tom's number should be in the Sacramento phone book, or email me for it. Tom is the Wilson master dealer in Sacramento now.

Shalako
April 10, 2003, 01:44 PM
Hey, thanks! I guess there are more local options than I had realized. I'll search on TNT and see what turns up.

Later,
Tim

45R
April 10, 2003, 08:17 PM
Ohhhh no here comes the pain. Your wallet is going to hate you!!!
But Fun Factor will be increased by 10.
:neener:

Roboshred
April 13, 2003, 12:47 AM
Gary Thirey:Thiry I forgot his last name put he did a steller job on a Colt I had. His office is across the street from KFC on J st.. He carries/distributes King's custom items.

9mmepiphany
April 14, 2003, 06:36 PM
sorry it took me awhile to get back with the number.

shalako - yes that is the same gunsmith. i checked with him and he does take outside work. i've only seen his work on 1911s and sigs...have him show you the 1911 he used to carry on duty. his phone number is:

916 684-9091

Shalako
April 14, 2003, 07:18 PM
Thank you!

I'll definitely give him a call. After shooting Topgun's Colt and 45R's Kimber, my SA trigger feels like 10lbs +or- lots of creep.

Uh oh, but then I won't have an excuse for my crummy shooting anymore...
:uhoh:

45R
April 20, 2003, 12:59 PM
Okay Gentleman! The Shoot is one week away. Roll Call!!

The shoot will at 10am on 4-27-03

Yolo Sportsman Association
24189 Aviation Ave
Davis, CA

(530) 662-2349

I know that some of the regulars cant make it but I hope to see everyone else!!!! Bring the significant other, shooting buddys or introduce shooting to a newbie!!!!

Admission is 7 dollars which comes with two targets. There is a 7, 25 and 50 yard range for pistols, 50 and 100 yard for rifles.

Slug shotugns can be shot on the 25 yard range.

Topgun
April 20, 2003, 01:33 PM
BUT.....can give good advice. If 45R sidles up to you with a big grin and asks if you wanna shoot that 870, GET OUT THE LINIMENT!

WOW! ree-COIL!

But......with the SLUGS.....whooie! I think they may be lighter than the shot and ACCURATE. I was amazed. And not as much recoil as the shot.

Shooting at the 50 yd berm, I aimed at a 2" piece of shiny stuff and pulled the trigger. No more shiny stuff. You GOTTA take some slugs and shoot dat gun.

Makes ya wish dere was tigers around.

45R
April 20, 2003, 02:47 PM
BTW- I will definetly be bringing out the 870 if anyone wants to shoot it.

Topgun shot it with a 20 inch slug barrel setup. The slugs were Remington Reduced Recoil variety and the shotshells were # 7 1/2 Estate shot. They are alot of fun to shoot.

Dr. Jones and I have been waiting to get out to the patterning board to pattern out the shotguns. If anyone wants to play with the shotgun I'll be the one with the big grin on my face. :evil:

45R

gumshoe4
April 20, 2003, 06:56 PM
You guys aren't gonna ditch me again, are ya???:(

Just kidding-I will try to be there, although we've got some difficult stuff happening at work and I may be out of town.

If I can get there, I'm going to try the Fed EFMJs in the Sig and also a new/old Walther/Manurhin PP I got a little while ago. I may also bring the PA-63 and, of course, the Ruger autos.

If I don't get there, then I'll do it next time. :D

Bob

QuarterBoreGunner
April 21, 2003, 11:54 AM
Sorry guys- gonna be in Vegas this weekend.

45R
April 21, 2003, 07:31 PM
Nooooooooooooooo, whose going to bring the evil black gun!!?! Hope that you can make it next time!!!

45R

45R
April 23, 2003, 01:28 PM
Hey guys it has come to my attention that alot of people arent going to be able to make the shoot this time around. If your able to make it Sunday please drop a line on the tread to confirm.

TIA

45R

Topgun
April 23, 2003, 02:03 PM
it's lookin like RAIN agin.

:banghead:

Topgun
April 23, 2003, 02:09 PM
for the FOLLOWING month.............

I am gonna put together a bunch of guns FOR SALE and BRING em.

And KNIVES too. Just got tooooo many.

Sumpin for every taste. Collectible to tactical. Common to RARE!

Start savin up.

And all PRIVATE PARTY transfers so no limits.

See y'all.

Poohgyrr
April 23, 2003, 02:22 PM
I'm aiming to be there........;)

Drjones
April 23, 2003, 03:59 PM
I am gonna put together a bunch of guns FOR SALE and BRING em.

And KNIVES too. Just got tooooo many.

Sumpin for every taste. Collectible to tactical. Common to RARE!

Start savin up.

And all PRIVATE PARTY transfers so no limits.

STOP....THREATENING.......ME!!!!

:cuss:

:D ;)

45R
April 24, 2003, 07:16 PM
Bump

Coastey
April 26, 2003, 12:59 PM
I will be there. Thanks for putting the shoot together.

45R
April 27, 2003, 01:40 AM
See you all tomorrow. I picked up about 30 rounds of full power slugs for the 870. :)
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Drjones
April 27, 2003, 01:42 AM
Hey:

what time???

10am???

I think I could make that....I'd have to leave early, but you and I could get some quality time with my PG shottie!!! :D

April 27, 2003, 09:51 AM
So how was the shoot? Wish I could've made it, but when a guy calls and wants to look at a truck you've been trying to sell for a year you kinda have to go for it. Sorry I missed the shoot, but I did sell the truck.:)

45R
April 27, 2003, 10:17 AM
Ladies and Gentleman its a beatiful morning. Do you know were your guns are?

Hey 461. The Shoot is today! Lol so if you get a chance to pack up your bags and come say hi. :)

BTW bring your BMs hehehe.

Best

45R

April 27, 2003, 08:08 PM
Man I could of sworn it was Saturday!!! I was ticked off all day yesterday because I was going to miss it, and now I have because I haven't been on the board since this morning. :banghead:

Oh well, next time for sure. Hope you all had a good time.

Coastey
April 27, 2003, 08:51 PM
Got to YSA a little early and started shooting at the Pistol Range. Got so involved that I didn't stop shooting until after 11:00 and didn't say "hi" to anyone. Sorry about that, but thanks for getting me to the range. Next time I'll take a break at 10 and look for who else is there.

gumshoe4
April 28, 2003, 12:48 AM
Had a good time today with you at YSA, although lotsa gun malfunctions. The P225 is still choking on JHPs and EFMJ Federal and the PA-63 had several light hammer strikes on Russian JHP ammo. The SP101 bit me hard when I ran some 158-grain .357 JSP through it just for giggles. The 645 had an odd occurrence with the slide release, which locked the gun up until I figured out how to unmash it. The new Walther PP ran perfectly with MagTech 71 grain JHP.

45R and friends patched up my war wound from the SP101 with a bandaid and some neosporin and I was good to go after that.

When I got home, I replaced the aftermarket grips on the SP101 with the factory grips and put in a heavier mainspring in the PA-63. The 645's little problem I'm not gonna worry about, as it's never malfunctioned before in the 5 years I've owned it-I think it just had a brain fartage.

The P225 is probably going to go. I think I'm done fooling with it, particularly when there are so many other fine 9mm guns out there which are CCW-size. I may look at a Kahr or the Glock 26 (hopefully I'll have better luck with the G-26 than I did with the G-27 I previously owned-but that's another story). The P-225 is a fine firearm, very accurate and reliable with ball ammo, but simply don't like SD ammo of any kind I've tried so far.

Anyway, had fun and will be at the next one if I can, hopefully with more reliable bangsticks.

Thanks for your medical care, 45R and K.

Bob

45R
April 28, 2003, 01:14 AM
Gumshoe
No problem on the patching up. I always keep some supplies onhand for occasions like today. Shooting that little .357 of yours was a blast. I'm glad you had a chance to put a few rounds through the GP100. That is one fun round gun to shoot. Low recoil and very accurate. Not to mention it makes a really big bang.

Its a bummer that the surplus Sig didnt work out to your liking the bright side is that there is another excuse to get a new toy.

Sactown: Thanks for letting me shoot the .308, I'm getting better with that pep sight on each outting.

I'll be setting up another shoot soon!!! Thanks to everyone who came out!

9mmepiphany
April 28, 2003, 12:30 PM
i've yet to make one of these shoots and i'm starting to feel like a ghost here...especially with the great weather on sunday :banghead:

gumshoe4 - don't sell it yet, lets get together and if we can't get it to run...i'll buy it at a HUGE discount :rolleyes:

Drjones
April 28, 2003, 12:40 PM
Darn!

I'm sorry I had to miss this one.

I feel like such a flake: First Spenceville, now I miss this!!! :mad:

I thought I might have been able to make it yesterday, but as I told you 45R, it was Greek Easter, and we ended up leaving town earlier than I thought we would.

:(

*sigh*

To next time...

45R
April 28, 2003, 01:53 PM
Dr.Jones-
Dont worry it was Greek Easter so that will be your get out of jail free card. I had the chance to shoot the SG with Sactown. It was alot of fun but shooing slugs at 50 yards with the Remington sights was hard. The bead covered up the whole bulls eye.

Theres always next time!!!

Take care and I hope that you had a great time!

45R

Poohgyrr
April 28, 2003, 02:54 PM
I don't like missing a chance to shoot :( especially with the 300 gr loads I made for my 16" .44 lever.. And some .44 Specials in my 4" M24.

I needed to stay home & help my sweetheart, the back pain was bad again. I also wanted to touch base with Coastey again.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sacramento Shoot 4-27-03" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!