I will not buy any more guns!

PDA

Min
March 27, 2003, 02:25 PM
I have about 22 (give or take) firearms now. And I sat down with a spreadsheet and calculated the total worth of my collection. Whew!

Anyway, I just have to stop. I can't continue to spend money like this. It's harder than I thought - to stop I mean.

But, I've got to reallocate my resources to other things. Can any of you sympathize, or feel this way yourselves?

If you enjoyed reading about "I will not buy any more guns!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bonker
March 27, 2003, 02:34 PM
Just the opposite for me!

As guns become more and more banned and demonized, their value will only go up if you bought the right ones.

My dad and I did a spreadsheet to show how our gun and classic car collections have gone up in value compared to our 401k.

Let's just say we should have bought a house full of AK's when they are 300 bucks each!

My 2 AK's with all the pre-ban (30-100rd) magazines cost me about 800 bucks new. They are now worth several times that amount. Glad I didn't buy stocks!

I bought 4 dozen 33rd Glock magazines before the Brady Ban (and I don't even own a Glock!). They are now selling for 100 bucks + at gun shows.

I refer to my guns as my retirement fund. Clinton ridiculous bans have made me enough money in the last 9 years to nearly pay off my house. :)

I only wish I had bought a lot of class3 recievers before 1986! I remember turning down a full auto shotgun for 300 bucks in the early 80's that now sells for about 6 grand!

The cases of AP 7.62 ammo I bought in the early 90's for 60 bucks a case are now going for insane prices.

If your guns aren't going up in value then you are buying the wrong guns. Avoid "collectibles" and stick to guns you like and I bet you'll do great.

Also don't start buying banned stuff until we know what will happen next year when Brady might sunset.

Buy low and sell high!

Jesse H
March 27, 2003, 02:34 PM
Well, if u enjoy it and can afford it, there's no reason to stop.

I don't have that many to begin with, but I'm stopping for now since I need to allocate funds for more important things in my life right now.

No Skunk, I don't mean beer.

CZ-75
March 27, 2003, 02:37 PM
I figure my addiction can't be cured, but can be controlled. I buy one gun a year, roughly.

Bonker
March 27, 2003, 02:43 PM
Me too CZ! I buy exactly one per year now for CHristmas in protest of the Brady Ban which happened in December.

M1911
March 27, 2003, 02:47 PM
I have about 22 (give or take) firearms now. And I sat down with a spreadsheet and calculated the total worth of my collection.Well, there was your first mistake. Never, ever do that. That's one of those questions you just don't want to know. Sort of like how much money you would have now if you had sold all your stock options a couple years ago at the height of the market.

Nothing good can come out of it. Especially if the missus finds that spreadsheet:what:

Mike Irwin
March 27, 2003, 02:51 PM
Only 22?

Piker.

I've been saying this since, oh... about gun number 30.

I'm up around gun number 50, now, still saying it, still buying.

Dream on.

shermacman
March 27, 2003, 02:54 PM
I don't have a gun buying problem. Not at all, not me! I can stop any time I want!

benewton
March 27, 2003, 02:54 PM
As for me, I no longer buy weapons for myself.

After all, in any given class, with the exception of the shotgun, I've already purchased my prefered weapon.

On the other hand, I do have to outfit the wife, since her dowery had none, and, since I'm not female, it's very hard to get it right the first time....

So, I must buy a P32 to replace the Baretta .22, but, since that's not really a shooter, I'll also need to get something a bit more durable for those "outside of the purse" times... Rifle's a problem too, since while she might like the shorty AR, I've problems with its effectiveness. So, get the AR right now, but look into the 6x45. Too, I think that the M1A can be had in .243 ....
No idea on shotfguns, yet, although I guess I could download to 1 oz and work from there.
Still, it might not fit, so it looks like a couple of 20s???

Mind you, I need nothing, and have ammo available for each caliber I shoot and reload for all, but how could I possibly leave her less protected than myself?

BerettaNut92
March 27, 2003, 02:57 PM
Move to California. 95% of the long guns I want are no-nos here, and we can only buy one handgun per 30 days. If you want to carjack someone, you'll just have to use your other guns while you 'cool off'. :rolleyes:

Min
March 27, 2003, 03:05 PM
I am not prone to addictions, but this took me by suprise. I just love buying guns! Can't have enough of them! :D Wow, where did this addiction come from?

It's like I know what I want, and I put feelers out for them on the gun boards/local paper/gun show. And then, when one does come along at a good price, it's sold (to me)!

I gotta avoid the gunboard classifieds/gun shows/local paper! :)

Blackhawk
March 27, 2003, 03:09 PM
I will not buy any more guns! Right. I believe that. Sure.... :rolleyes:

blades67
March 27, 2003, 03:15 PM
I'm not buying anymore guns either! Well, not until I get done building my El Camino. Unless I find one I just have to have before then.:D

Bonker
March 27, 2003, 03:21 PM
"Well, not until I get done building my El Camino."

Hey Blades! I am building an El Camino right now too! Woot!

I'm building up my grandfather's old 1984 Camino. It has all 2001 CamaroSS drivetrain and is made to look like an Oldsmobile 442. It has an Olds fromt clip, Olds badging, and a 1984 Hurst Olds interior.

I got the idea from my friend, Murphy Walker, who built this 1970 Olds W-30/ El Camino hybrid:

http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/ntexasoca/ZoneShow02/Images/zone02_15.jpg

Looks easy but that car cost mose that $40k to build!

Topgun
March 27, 2003, 03:24 PM
is to develop an interest in rare coins. THEN you can spend some money.
I'm done with guns, too.

...........unless...............

I'm not.

Devonai
March 27, 2003, 03:37 PM
I feel guilty buying firearms that I don't "need." For instance, buying a Glock 22 when I already had a USP .40 with three full capacity mags, or buying an M1 Carbine when I already owned an AR-15.

Or, buying weapons that I don't feel are useful for defense applications, such as the 10/22 I used to own. The same reason has kept my from buying a S&W Victory model .38.

I know half of you are screaming at me for that last paragraph, especially in regards to the .38. I don't want to hijack the thread so suffice it to say that IMHO only, I don't consider them as effective for defense applications as other weapons I own.

But back on the subject, I don't regret buying the M1 Carbine one wit, in fact it has become more valuable to me than my AR-15 for sentimental reasons.

It's the factor of spending money on firearms that I want but don't need that makes me feel guilty. That's why my collection right now is a meager 6 firearms. Weapons that I don't need or have lost interest in don't last long in my house, unfortunately. Not when there's a big dollar sign hanging around their barrels and it's time to pay the bills.

Bonker
March 27, 2003, 03:46 PM
"Not when there's a big dollar sign hanging around their barrels and it's time to pay the bills."

I thnk of it as insurance against a catastrophy. The same reason I keep a little gold in the bank. If we ever have a major economic depression I know I can trade guns for money, food, and any other resources I'll potentially need.

In fact, if there's ever a true emergency, guns will be probably more vauled than gold. Same things for generators, water filters, gasoline, food, solar panels, windmills, etc...

coonan357
March 27, 2003, 03:59 PM
not till you are away from your kiddies do you realize how much you miss your sport. I can't wait till I get back into some money again so I can get my .22 cal conversion for my para . then theres the fal , then the Kgp141 , and the ... and the.... never enough toys :D

sm
March 27, 2003, 04:27 PM
"I will not buy anymore guns"
1) you switched coffee brands -didn't ya ;)
2) Firearms retain value better than most items one can purchase.

3)If your going to play spreadsheet, consider this--when you get up in the morning add everthing up you use, wear, just to get ready in the morning. (insurance co. idea, clothes, underwear, pot, pans , linens...used to figure base for ins. ...event of fire, and replace). Expensive just to get ready in the morning, huh? These items you outgrow, wear out, disposable in design from get-go.

4) Besides picking out guns that appreciate in value is more fun than underwear and socks...we also don't allow pics of underwear and socks on this forum.:D

El Tejon
March 27, 2003, 04:30 PM
Min, waaay ahead of you. When you buy your 3rd safe, you realize you need to focus.

Ummmmmm. Now to go stand on one leg.:D

Stevie-Ray
March 27, 2003, 04:42 PM
But, I've got to reallocate my resources to other things. Can any of you sympathize, or feel this way yourselves Yes, of course, but many of us are simply not as strong as you. But I don't think I have a real problem. After all, I haven't bought one for weeks.

telewinz
March 27, 2003, 04:42 PM
The older you get the worse it gets. There is always one more gun "I always wanted to get that" "haven't seen one of those in years" "had one of those years ago and always wanted another"
"thats the one gun I'll shoot all the time, I can get rid or the rest"
"at that price it's a steal, if I don't get it someone else will". It goes on and on.....if there is just $1 left half will go towards food and the other half for a gun.:)

standingbear
March 27, 2003, 04:45 PM
feel free to send me any boring guns that you no longer shoot,itll give you an excuse to get more.:D

philupcolt
March 27, 2003, 05:02 PM
My problem is that I want to re-acquire all of the guns that I sold over the years. I know that I had a darn good reason to buy the gun in the first place, but I can't think of the good reasons why I sold them. So I want them back.:banghead:

Pendragon
March 27, 2003, 05:13 PM
You guys with all the valuable pre ban stuff should sell off now.

Once they start cranking out standard mags, your $150 mags are going to be worth $39 again...

WhoKnowsWho
March 27, 2003, 05:56 PM
I haven't gotten to the time to stop amount yet. At the range the other day, I was just kinda standing there looking at which one I wanted to shoot next, couldn't make a decision... there are certain must haves in my want list, then I will be pretty much done and I can just pick up deals that I see if it is a nice piece. But it is so dificult to stop... they all look good, (with a few exceptions) and they are all fun and useful.

M1911
March 27, 2003, 06:09 PM
My problem is that I want to re-acquire all of the guns that I sold over the years. Which is why I seldom sell any guns.

hksw
March 27, 2003, 06:09 PM
I'm in the same boat. I've been saying 'I'll stop now' every year on New Years Day as a resolution for the past 10 or 11 years.

Bonker
March 27, 2003, 06:11 PM
"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My problem is that I want to re-acquire all of the guns that I sold over the years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which is why I seldom sell any guns."

Same for me. Mine are either ones I love too much to sell or they have too much sentimental value to sell.

The only time I've ever sold a gun was to trade up to something better and that's only been twice in my life I think.

benewton
March 27, 2003, 06:27 PM
OK, I know how to buy guns.

A PIA, but doable, if I want it bad enough.

But, what is this "sell guns" thing that you speak of?

jsalcedo
March 27, 2003, 07:49 PM
I just buy cheaper guns now. Old military beaters are fun, cheap to shoot and work on.

I pick up on deals when I find them even though there is no burning desire for any particular item out there.

I've got a 40 gun collection thats worth retail about 9k
Much much less if I had to sell quickly.

I'm going to hold onto them cause I like most of them but buying is going to be a lot slower now.

vertigo7
March 27, 2003, 09:16 PM
I made up my mind I was going to devote all my resources to paying down debt as quickly as I could, and that I'd stop buying guns until it was done. And then I discovered Cowboy Action Shooting and gee whiz... I absolutely must have a new pair of sixguns, and a rifle, and a shotgun, and lots of .45LC, and gear to match, and a stag-handled bowie knife, and and and...

(For those in the audience who will point out I could borrow instead of buying gear, don't pester me with facts :evil: )

Well, I *was* gonna stop buying guns for a while.... :)

vertigo7

crewzer
March 28, 2003, 12:13 AM
I agree. I am not going to buy any more guns.....unless it falls into a special category:Something that I have always wanted, Something new out that is sharp as can be, one that is on sale(hey women use this excuse all the time), and the last but best one, If it is such a good deal that I it would kill me to know someone else got that deal! Whew, other than that I will be alright on purchasing anymore firearms:D But I am open to other people purchasing firearms for me. Buy good quality firearms as cheap as you can from reputable sources and it will always be win-win situation.

Giant
March 28, 2003, 12:41 AM
Me too! No more guns for awhile... Several months back I was looking at my 1903A1 and thought it would look neat with an original WWII era bayonet. So I bought a bayonet, then discovered I needed a scabbard. Next was bayonet and scabbard for my M1 Garand, then it became clear I needed a bayonet and scabbard for my Mauser M48. Then I thought it would be neat if I had an original military holster for my 1911A1 .45... Yup, no more guns for me, just equipment!! Well, maybe a few more guns, but only a few...

Giant

Lennyjoe
March 28, 2003, 04:18 AM
I on the other hand plan on buying a few guns this year. Been in this darn country for almost a year and when I get back Im spoiling myself. Gonna be getting a 1911 style .45, Rifle and a new compound bow.

Wife says I have too many expensive hobbies. What is she talking about. I only play golf, shoot guns and archery tournaments. Doesnt she know that it doesnt cost much to do that?

Yea, that would work if I had a wife that wasnt interested in my hobbies but heck I cant keep her hands off my stuff. :D

samualt
March 28, 2003, 04:40 AM
I'm OK untill I get to a gun show. I always know exactly what I'm Not looking for and end up buying it! :D

I'd probably buy even more guns if I had a job. :rolleyes:
But ya know, those Makarov's sure are cheap; I could use an extra pop gun. And I could use an extra SKS also. And then there is this little Taurus titanium revolver that I could really use and....

Drjones
March 28, 2003, 01:23 PM
I have about 22 (give or take) firearms now.
Well THERE'S your problem!!! I've only got 5! You need to give me some of yours, and then you will feel better!!! :D

Anyway, I just have to stop. I can't continue to spend money like this. It's harder than I thought - to stop I mean. Do NOT, repeat, DO NOT start buying knives.

Especially Striders.

At around $400 a pop, they're just as addictive as guns, and just as expensive. :banghead:

But, I've got to reallocate my resources to other things. Can any of you sympathize, or feel this way yourselves?

No, I have no clue what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

;)

Seriously, I do understand completely.

I too have had to "reallocate resources."

You see, the trick is to pace yourself, then you won't feel as bad.

Others make very good points about guns not only maintaining value, but appreciating as well. :)

However, living in CA, I fear it getting more and more difficult to purchase guns, so that is why I try to buy so many. (I bought all five of my guns between july and december of last year...that's kind of a lot!)

Anyhow, if firearms truly interest you, we all have to have hobbies.

And there definitely are worse hobbies you could have, and worse things you could be addicted to. :D

Bonker
March 28, 2003, 04:08 PM
"Old military beaters are fun, cheap to shoot and work on."

Man no kidding! We have a store here in Dallas called Ammo Depot that has 2 racks full of old military guns. All are in the 60-120 dollar range and they are all pretty nifty slices of history. They can be extremely well crafted too!

"Bonker- $2400 for an AK47?"

EASILY! Pre-ban AK can sell for what...600 to a grand? Post ban is maybe 300-400?

Remember I have one of each.

Add in a dozen 75rd drums at 100 bucks a pop, 5 100rd drums at 150 bucks a pop, 20, 30rd magazines at 20 bucks a pop, a dozen 40 rd mags at 50 bucks a pop....

See how it adds up?

firestar
March 28, 2003, 04:16 PM
If I had all the guns I ever sold, I could pay off half my house!:what:

I don't regret selling most of them but it would be nice to have all that money in one lump sum! Selling them all at once will probably incure some major tax penelties so maybe it is not such a bad thing.

Bob Locke
March 28, 2003, 04:55 PM
Had to make a list for myself so I'd know when I was done. Still working my way down it. Should have a similar number to you (~20 or so) once I'm done.

illuminatus99
March 28, 2003, 05:01 PM
nevermind

If you enjoyed reading about "I will not buy any more guns!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!