help with identifying an old rifle (1800's)


March 27, 2003, 02:41 PM
this is my friends rifle and we were wondering if anyone knows a little about its history and what type of ammunition it used (black powder, musket, cartridge :confused: ) , or anything else that might be intresting about it. on the rifle it says:

PAT.MAY 30 NOV. 15TH 1864 APRIL 17TH 1866
AUG 27TH 1967 NOV.7TH 1871

so we know its a remington, figuring first produced in 1864, this is maybe an 1871 model ?

here are some pictures of it

If you enjoyed reading about "help with identifying an old rifle (1800's)" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
March 27, 2003, 02:44 PM
That is a Remington Rolling Block. Do you know the caliber? That would help a rolling block knowledgeable person be more specific.

March 27, 2003, 02:48 PM
i have a coupel more :cool:

March 27, 2003, 02:54 PM
here is a picture down the barrel from behind what i guess you would call the breach, that's as close as i can get to telling you the caliber, sorry :o

March 27, 2003, 02:56 PM
also.. does anyone have a clue if its worth anything ?

March 27, 2003, 03:00 PM
one last shot for you to enjoy :)

Jim Watson
March 27, 2003, 04:05 PM
Certainly a Remington Rolling Block No 1 military model. They made over a million of those for sale to many different armies in their own calibers. The dates are patent dates and say nothing about the actual time of manufacture, except that it was sometime after the latest patent.

If the "US" bayonet frog is original to the gun, it might be a New York National Guard rifle of 1872. If so, it is a .50-70, same as an 1870 Springfield Trapdoor. But that is a big IF, there were only 15,000 sold to NY out of over a million worldwide.

Are there any other markings on the gun? US military rifles usually have an inspector's stamp on the stock, usually on the left side of the grip area. What is the barrel length? A NY rifle would be 36", most others are 39", but vary down to 32".

It will take close inspection by a knowledgeable person to ID the actual model and caliber. Value depends on ID and condition. There is a NY gun on GunsAmerica for $750, but assorted foreign contract rolling blocks start at $365 in their ads.

March 27, 2003, 04:49 PM
I bet its a 50/70:) However some were factory chambered in 7mm Mauser and should never be fired!:uhoh:

Jim K
March 27, 2003, 09:15 PM
Unless there has been some alteration, that is the NY state musket. The distinctive feature is that the finger piece on the breech block sticks out to the right instead of straight up.

A stock marking of HRH or US NY would confirm it. Those usually bring more than the value quoted in some books if in good condition. In average condition (and the one shown appears to have a fair amount of rust) they only go for $400 or so; in near perfect, $800-1000 is possible. The rifle has a 36" barrel; there is a saddle ring carbine with a 22" barrel, which is quite rare.


March 27, 2003, 11:45 PM
I just viewed this but Jim is correct but price is $500-$600 in the shape yours is in.:)

March 28, 2003, 07:08 AM
This is what I have on the rolling Block:

Also known as:

The rider Rifle
Remington Rider

See jpeg attached from Military Small Arms 20 Cen


March 28, 2003, 07:10 AM
Rolling Block


If you enjoyed reading about "help with identifying an old rifle (1800's)" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!