Looking for a new duty pistol?

PDA

tavo94
September 18, 2005, 11:52 PM
My Agency is in the process on getting us new pistols for duty, we will be replacing our old S&W 5904. We narrow our choices down to Beretta 92FS, Glock 17, Springfield XD, Walther P99 AS and Ruger P95, any comments will be appreciate it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a new duty pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MAGNUMMAN
September 19, 2005, 01:54 AM
Out of those you listed, I would only consider the G17 and P95. I voted for the G17, but would also trust my life with the P95.

CZF
September 19, 2005, 02:12 AM
Odd that you don't include a CZ P-01. compact and safe. very reliable..
just not your average USA police type gun.

denfoote
September 19, 2005, 03:48 AM
It's hot and sticky down there in Panama, ain't it??

All the above mentioned pistols are good reliable guns.
However, the tennifer heat treat on the Glock or the walther make them the front runners because of corrosion resistance. The Walther has the advantage of having an adjustable grip by way of various inserts. The Glock may be had cheaper due to their policy of giving discounts to agencies making large orders!! Half a dozen of one, six of the other!!

At least I've narrowed it down to two for ya!!

GotGlock
September 19, 2005, 04:06 AM
Go with the Glock, you can never go worng with one, its basically idiot proof in terms of maintence, and will always go bang when you pull the trigger. :o

Boss Spearman
September 19, 2005, 05:30 AM
I don't like Glocks because they have no safety. I've read so many times about accidental discharges involving LEO's and Glocks.

Universal
September 19, 2005, 10:33 AM
The GLOCK 17 gets my vote. Second choice would be the Beretta.

DirksterG30
September 19, 2005, 10:55 AM
A CZ P-01 or SP-01

litework
September 19, 2005, 11:06 AM
I voted "other." Depending on caliber, I'd prefer an HK USP or P2000. Also, I'd postpone making my decision and see how Beretta's PX4 and S&W's M&P turn out. These guns look like real winners.

Of the guns on your list...I'd opt for a variation of the Beretta.

CombatArmsUSAF
September 19, 2005, 11:10 AM
Although heavy for concealed carry, the beretta is a great duty gun. Accurate right out of the box, and I have fired thousands of rounds with an assortment of brands of ammo without a single malfunction. I try to find ammo that the beretta won't eat and so far have been unsuccessful.

armoredman
September 19, 2005, 11:11 AM
Ditto for CZ PO1.

Vitamin G
September 19, 2005, 11:26 AM
Last week I would have voted for a Glock, but this weekend I got to shoot a Springfield XD.

Cheaper, better ergonomics, and has a grip safety...

cookekdjr
September 19, 2005, 11:31 AM
Go with the XD or Glock. Both are reasonably accurate, and very reliable. The XD has better ergos, but the Glock is lighter, although both score well in both areas.
There are many other excellent guns (the CZ's and Sigs come to mind) but I'd go with the XD or Glock.
-David

Nate_m
September 19, 2005, 01:11 PM
SIG P229 hands down

Ala Dan
September 19, 2005, 02:46 PM
Sig P228 :D

Shipwreck
September 19, 2005, 05:42 PM
If you go w/ XD, I think ya better get the stainless slide version. I hear a lot of stories about rust on the slide.

I'd vote for the Walther. I've been attracted to the gun recently after I've rented it a few times. No more low and to the left shooting for me as with a Glock (only my Glock 34 w/ lighter pull doesn't do that to me - but as a duty gun, you don't want too light of a trigger pull)

shield20
September 19, 2005, 06:11 PM
Beretta 92f in stainless - awesome duty weapon - no jams, gets smoother the more you shoot it, accurate, good grip angle, made of metal.

dakotasin
September 19, 2005, 07:01 PM
is it legal to say 'duty pistol' and omit the sig 229???

i like the xd, but i don't think it is as refined as the beretta or sig - and contrary to popular internet legend, don't think it shoots as accurately or as comfortably as either the 229 or 92...

don't know anything about the glock or walther, but am just astounded that ruger makes the short list at all, but especially considering sig was omitted...

good luck.

Dorian
September 19, 2005, 08:15 PM
Sig.

P226, P228, P229 - doesn't matter

Or

HK USP

albanian
September 19, 2005, 08:18 PM
Beretta 92fs. It is all metal so it won't melt in the tropical heat. :D They are heavier than the Glock or XD but I would trust one more than any other pistol based on my excellent history with them.

dpesec
September 19, 2005, 09:08 PM
First choice is Glock, pull the trigger and it goes BANG. With the 92 you might need to fiddle with the decocking lever.
I tried to use my old M9 at an IDPA match and it was a total mess. Glock 26 would have been better

camper
September 19, 2005, 09:13 PM
Sig 228 or XD.

Shipwreck
September 19, 2005, 11:16 PM
They stopped importing the Walther A/S. You can still find them at some places, but they've been on the shelf a while. If you settle on that, you'd have to get the new QA trigger or buy the Smith and Wesson version of the 99 (same gun, just decorated a bit differently).

MikeIsaj
September 19, 2005, 11:21 PM
I have to say any Sig. IMHO and from admittedly limited experience with Glocks, the Glock is more accurate but the Sig is more likely to work.

perception
September 20, 2005, 01:01 AM
Since those pistols for the msot part appear to be high capacity nines, I would have to go with the sig 226.

Boss Spearman
September 20, 2005, 01:45 AM
I've owned all sorts of different semiautos:

Glocks, Springfields (1911s and XDs), Walthers, Sigs, Browning HPs, Witnesses,
Tauruses, a Colt Commander, Kimber Ultra Carry II, and Berettas.

The Beretta is the one I keep going back to. I had a 92FS and a 96, sold them, and have regretted it ever since. I found another used 92FS this past week and picked it up.

The Berettas, Taurus 92, and the Glocks have been the most reliable, and I don't like the Glock because it has no safety, so the Beretta 92FS (and Taurus version) gets my vote.

SRFL
September 20, 2005, 02:00 AM
My vote is "other"....I'd look into the either the new Beretta Px4 or S&W M&P 40.

ruger270man
September 20, 2005, 07:05 AM
Ruger of course

HSMITH
September 20, 2005, 09:49 AM
Glock all the way. Of the choices you list I would take it first.

Ken Rainey
September 20, 2005, 09:02 PM
Glock is by far the best choice because of the extreme user friendliness and ease of maintenance. Your department's armorers will become bored with the ease and lack of required maintenance on a Glock 17. They are the most durable handguns available and company support is a given.

The only drawback, as with any issued weapon, is that it may not fit everyones hands...but even with this, the Glock is still usually able to be adapted to. This is where a thinking department would allow the officer the choice of a weapon better suited to him/her personally that still fell with the guidelines of a duty weapon....like maybe allowing an officer to keep using a S&W that did fit their hand and they were proficient with. I've seen a female officer trying to adapt to an issued pistol (in this case a Beretta 92FS) that was clearly too large for their hands and the struggle they went through....not a good thing to have a handgun that you have to "fight" with to manipulate....especially in a stressful situation.

Seven High
September 20, 2005, 09:32 PM
Given the level of firearms training the average police officer receives in a years time and their interest in firearms on the average, I would issue a DAO weapon of some type. Probably the Ruger P95. I have seen one too many accidential discharges by police officers.

MachIVshooter
September 20, 2005, 10:49 PM
My Agency is in the process on getting us new pistols for duty, we will be replacing our old S&W 5904. We narrow our choices down to Beretta 92FS, Glock 17, Springfield XD, Walther P99 AS and Ruger P95, any comments will be appreciate it?

What does the 5904 lack that one of these other pistols has, aside from a couple extra rounds in the Glock? I personally would rather keep the Smith, but I voted for 92FS. 9mm as a duty weapon doesn't appeal to me on the whole, either.

tavo94
September 20, 2005, 11:13 PM
MachIVshooter:

Our smiths are at least 10 years old, and they have been abuse to no extent. We though about replacing them with new S&W, but the they do not offer this model anymore.

I will have to agree with most of the guys, the Glock 17 sounds to be the better choice. Personally I like the Beretta 92FS, but I think it will be better to K.I.S.S.. Training will be much easier with a DAO pistol, but still I will appreciate your comments.

ny32182
September 20, 2005, 11:54 PM
For a duty Sig, you might as well go for the full size. P226 if you are picking a SIG.

Moonclip
September 21, 2005, 02:21 AM
Does the gun have to be a 9x19? And how are funds for purchasing new weapons? If funds are limited the Ruger P95 in stainless seems to be a fine choice.

Also this gun comes in double action only if desired or with a manual safety if you choose to go that route.

WarMachine
September 21, 2005, 02:45 AM
Ruger P95 or GLOCK 17 would be my duty gun. The other guns may be more pleasing to the eye, but these two are just as reliable and I wouldn't mind getting them banged up.

jashobeam
September 21, 2005, 04:15 AM
I have had a Glock 17 for twelve or thirteen years and really enjoy how it shoots. My friend, however, who is a police officer was issued a Glock with a heavy "New York" trigger (I don't know if it's still referred to as such). He did not like it at all and bought himself an HK USP. He loves to shoot my Glock which has the standard, lighter trigger-pull. I have never had a problem with the fact that the Glock has no external safety. Perhaps if it was my daily sidearm, opportunities to demonstrate the importance of having such a safety may have presented themselves and left me wishing that it did indeed have such a feature. I am always very careful when holstering my loaded Glock, making certain that nothing is able to enter the trigger guard and depress the trigger.

I am used to the Glock, but I am aware that other guns, like the Sigs, have grip designs that seem more natural and make target acquisition automatic; such guns naturally point, as a finger would, wherever the eye is looking.

Also, I mean no offense to anyone but I personally find the Ruger P95, though it may have excellent qualities as a firearm, to be an ugly gun. Sorry, but I absolutely had to say it. I know that a gun is a tool, but is there anything wrong with wanting a gun that is pleasing to look at?

Thin Black Line
September 21, 2005, 01:41 PM
Sig 226

Working Man
September 21, 2005, 02:39 PM
Beretta or Ruger

eclipse1
September 21, 2005, 04:33 PM
92fs gets my vote

Nate_m
September 21, 2005, 05:16 PM
if you're worried about only learnign one trigger Sig P229 DAK

Wynterbourne
September 21, 2005, 05:55 PM
My vote is "other"....I'd look into the either the new Beretta Px4

Ditto that.

I picked one up last Friday. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet pistol!

Dienekes
September 22, 2005, 12:15 AM
Glock 17 as they have the track record, support, work, and are suited to the "lowest common denominator. That's not to say that I like them personally--I don't.

Spent a career as an LEO/firearms instructor. Police firearms have gone from being a working man's prized tool to soul-less bottom feeders. Picked up a minty 1969 Model 10 S&W the other day and it was a work of art compared to black ninja guns.

Needless to say I prefer radial engines to jets too.

askikr
September 22, 2005, 03:06 AM
my vote goes to the glock. my sig pro jammed on the last round left in the clip EVERY time! :fire: it had less that 1000 rounds through it... but my glock, although not quite accurate in my hands, always went bang.

i eventually traded my sig for a ruger gp100. i am however looking closely at the hk p2000 :evil: . does anyone have any expirience with one?

ny32182
September 22, 2005, 11:17 AM
What do you mean it "jammed on the last round"?

kahr404life
September 22, 2005, 11:51 AM
You can't go wrong with a glock. Great finish: you will rust before the glock will. Simple to operate: slide take down lever, slide lock, magazine release, and trigger nothing else. Easy to maintain: easy to take apart, to clean, and fix (glock does not break). Quick to get into action: draw weapon, aim weapon, pull the trigger, glock goes bang, bad guy gets shot! :D Hopefully.
HK p2000 is also a good gun. There are only 2 things I do not like about it. Number one is the decock lever is beside the hammer (don't accidently pull trigger while decocking or your thumb will hurt). Number two is the right side (ambi slide lock) slide lock looks flimsy and can be lost during disassembly if not careful.

P0832177
September 22, 2005, 12:00 PM
HK P2000

TMM
September 22, 2005, 08:10 PM
SIG 220, HK USP or 1911 would get my vote.

~TMM

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for a new duty pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!