1911 SC and a Bobtail conversion

PDA

Bail Agent
September 19, 2005, 02:15 AM
Did a search but didn't come up with anything...

Anyone how difficult it would be to do a bobtail conversion on a S&W 1911sc? Would it be cost prohibitive?

Thanks

Geno

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 SC and a Bobtail conversion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
W Turner
September 20, 2005, 02:23 PM
From what I understand, this is not a diffcult mod for an experienced gunsmith. The alloy that SW uses is not that much different from a traditional alloy frame for a government model. The Scandium just makes it a little more durable, but it is still mostly aluminum with small amounts of other metals thrown in.

Just make sure that the gunsmith has performed this mod before and ask for references!

W

Jim Watson
September 20, 2005, 02:49 PM
And of course about the only way to touch up the finish on cut aluminum is with paint. Reanodizing is a large project that few shops will tackle.

at-home-daddy
September 21, 2005, 01:35 PM
I've seen a picture of one on another forum, so I know it's at least possible. How difficult and how expensive, I've no idea, however.

Vern Humphrey
September 21, 2005, 01:55 PM
You might be better off finding the gun you want and trading what you have.

Guns_and_Labs
September 21, 2005, 03:00 PM
I have one. It's amazing how much better the 1911SC works for concealment with the bobtail.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 SC and a Bobtail conversion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!