P3AT questions?

PDA

thesheetrockman
September 19, 2005, 12:32 PM
One of the local shops has a couple of used P3ATs for $185. I looked around for a little bit but I couldnít answer all of my questions.

1. What is the difference between a first generation and a second generation. All I could figure out was the extractor was different. (Ugly extractor on the new one).
2. Do they use the same holsters?
3. The price sounds good to me or should I spend $240 on a new one. (I am a cheep bastard and know the answer to this question already.
greg

If you enjoyed reading about "P3AT questions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
procomps
September 19, 2005, 02:06 PM
1. Extractor is different, different ejector, sights not quite as good, slide is more squared, weight slightly greater in second generation (SG) P-3AT. "Ugly" extractor seems to work better per most people. Weight difference is not noticeable in use or when carrying.

2. "Loose" holsters (not form-fitted leather or Kydex) work with either model. Be sure to test fit to holster if possible; if not, confirm that vendor knows which model you have and that he is aware of the slide shape differences.

3. I bought a used SG that looked like new. It shoots everthing I have fed it, but it doesn't like flat-nosed WWB.

I recommend you go for the used one. It will have a lifetime warranty regardless of owner.

MICHAEL T
September 19, 2005, 02:18 PM
Buy the used one. and if doesn't work you can send it in. As well as you can the new one. They do have a good warrenty program and seems any sent in for repair come back working just fine. Offer a 160 and see.

Wilson 17&26
September 19, 2005, 06:01 PM
I have a couple of Second-Generation P-3ATs and a bunch of First-Generation P-3ATs. I prefer the looks and feel of the First-Generation but the Second-Generation is easier to fix due to fewer parts.

Having Kel-Tec replace a First-Generation slide or barrel may be difficult for a second owner (technically not covered under the warranty) as Kel-Tec has used up its inventory of theses discontinued parts. They may or may not be willing to give a brand new pistol to a subsequent owner. Replacement parts for a SG P-3AT would be relatively cheap, as there would be thousands of them in the parts bin.

Just some thought for those that donít already have a big box of First-Generation parts. :)

Bobo
September 19, 2005, 10:36 PM
procomps,I recommend you go for the used one. It will have a lifetime warranty regardless of owner.

This is from the Kel-Tec web site (the bold type is mine):

Kel-Tec offers a lifetime warranty to the original owner of all P-3AT handguns and will continue to honor this warranty.

Should there be difficulty with a Kel-Tec handgun and you are the original owner. Please return it to Kel-Tec, following the directions in the owner's manual.

In order to expedite service, please include your name, address, phone number, copy of the bill of sale in the owner's name, or a copy of form 4473, indicating the date of purchase, difficulty experienced, model, serial number, and the brands and types of ammunitions used.

Return transportation and insurance charges via U.S. Priority Parcel Service for return to owner will be paid by Kel-Tec if the claim is covered by the warranty.

Kel-Tec will not be responsible for defects resulting from careless handling, unauthorized adjustments or modifications, defective of improper ammunition, corrosion, neglect, abuse, ordinary wear and tear, or unreasonable use. (posted 3-7-2005, updated 7-28-05)

procomps
September 19, 2005, 11:43 PM
Bobo:

Thanks for correcting me. I must have been thinking Hi-Point.

I would still go for the used KT as many people at KTOG and KTRange are very willing to help with problems, etc. According to KTOG site, KT will still do repairs and/or send replacement parts for little or no costs. KT also has great customer support.

Bobo
September 20, 2005, 12:15 AM
procomp,

You would have been perfectly right up to a few months ago.

There was no high-profile announcement but Kel-Tec changed their long-standing warranty a few months back.

The change hasn't become general knowledge yet.

You're right about their helpful and liberal repair policies.

Jim101
September 20, 2005, 12:18 AM
I have a new KT 32 that I really like, no problems, I just ordered a pocket holster fron Ron Graham (Pale Horse).........

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "P3AT questions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!