Moving to Rifle Reloading

PDA

johnmcl
September 20, 2005, 06:02 PM
Hi all,

After quite a while of loading pistol, including a move to a progressive press (blue), the time has come to expand into rifle reloading.

So when I bought a set of 223 dies from Dillon, I find a warning that they strongly suggest that a headspace gage be used to correctly adjust the size die.

This is being loaded for an Armalite A2 (223 Remington). What kind of headspace gage do I need and do you have any advice on use?

Confused in Phoenix,

John

If you enjoyed reading about "Moving to Rifle Reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
30Cal
September 20, 2005, 06:53 PM
You need a case gage a.k.a. case headspace gage, like the ones made by Lyman or Wilson. This will tell you if your sized brass is within the SAAMI spec. If your die doesn't push the shoulder back far enough, you'll have function problems. If it pushes it back too far, you'll see premature case head separations. The difference between those two conditions is pretty fine.

Get the RCBS Precision Case Mic (or borrow one--you won't need it everyday) if you want to go all out. This will give you an actual measurement instead of a Go/NoGo sort of reading you get with the typically case gage.

Ideally, you want to take your fired brass and push the shoulder back by 0.002-0.005". Unfortunately, the Wilson gage I have won't swallow fired cases (the necks don't fit), so if I use that gage, I just set the die so that sized brass comes out somewhere between the max and the min.

Ty

Cosmoline
September 20, 2005, 07:03 PM
I would think you could just use ballistic calipers on the brass after it's been through the press. That will tell you exactly what the dimensions are.

johnmcl
September 20, 2005, 07:18 PM
Ok,

Now I have it. I didn't think we were talking about a case gage (gauge?). I had in mind some time of measurement device that went into my rifle. Between the information here, and a phone call to Dillon's let's consider this one closed.

John

30Cal
September 20, 2005, 07:30 PM
I would think you could just use ballistic calipers on the brass after it's been through the press. That will tell you exactly what the dimensions are.

There's no way to measure the distance to the case shoulder with just a set of calipers (at least not with the accuracy that you need).

USSR
September 20, 2005, 09:19 PM
I use the RCBS Precision Case Mic for all the cartridges I reload. I have one in .223 that I have never used and would be willing to sell, since I sold my AR-15 without shooting it. Price is $25 plus shipping. Email me if interested.

Don

Numinous
September 22, 2005, 12:30 AM
Don,

If no one else is interested I am. Have my AR parts coming in the mail in the next month or so and I'm looking at getting my reloading rig setup for .223.

Send me an email and we can work on the details. Shipping should be cheap too since I'm in Buffalo, NY :)

asg1@buffalo.edu

EDIT: And if you have any dies or the like I'd be interested in those too.

USSR
September 22, 2005, 12:54 PM
Numinous,

I'll email you when I get home. I have lots of .223/AR15 stuff, since I got rid of my AR15. I will be going to the Rochester Gun Show on Saturday, so if you want to meet me there, you can skip shipping charges altogether. I'll include my phone # in my email, so you can call me if you like.

Don

milanuk
September 22, 2005, 01:29 PM
There's no way to measure the distance to the case shoulder with just a set of calipers (at least not with the accuracy that you need).

I would say that w/ the addition of a Stoney Point tool w/ the appropriate insert, calipers would work just fine (and cheaper per caliber/cartridge than the RCBS Precision Mic).

Monte

If you enjoyed reading about "Moving to Rifle Reloading" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!