.40S&W

PDA

Jhorn
September 21, 2005, 01:16 PM
I am trying to load some 135gr plated Ranier bullets to 1225fps for IPSC shooting from a STI 2011 w/5" barrel, does anyone have a powder that they would recommend for me to start with?

If you enjoyed reading about ".40S&W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mrapathy2000
September 21, 2005, 05:41 PM
VvN320,titegroup,hp38 or win231. max loads will do 1250 in 4" barrel.
max loads at 6.4gr-7.0gr.

Universal might work.

HSMITH
September 21, 2005, 05:46 PM
I would start with Power Pistol. I would also try some Tite Group, Winchester Super Field, VV N350, Unique, and MAYBE some Universal Clays and regular Clays IF I could find at least a couple mainstream manuals with data.

I KNOW Power Pistol will get you there with a good safety cushion, as I have used it with 135 Nosler JHP in a G22.

With your plated bullets start with jacketed bullet data and chronograph the loads. I wouldn't go over the max listed for jacketed bullets, and you shouldn't need to.

BTW, if you would update us on your progress I would appreciate it. I will be doing the same thing this winter for an STI 5" but with Nosler JHP bullets.

Jeeper
September 21, 2005, 06:00 PM
Curious why you are going with such a light bullet.

Jhorn
September 22, 2005, 10:42 AM
I have been using some AA#5 for the first 100rds, they shot good but I haven't had time to chrony them yet. I have some unique and 231 so I'll give that a try next.

I have been using 180's and wanted to try the lightest possible to see any difference in the recoil, it is a compensated gun and I wanted to see if it was more effective with a lighter full power load.

Thanks for the info and I'll let you know how they perform.

Jerry

Jeeper
September 22, 2005, 11:04 AM
Makes sense.

If you enjoyed reading about ".40S&W" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!