DARN IT!! I bought a p228 with rust on it...doh

PDA

silverlance
September 21, 2005, 02:59 PM
I just discovered that there's a little rust on the magazine catch (the non-button side) of my p228 that i bought used in CA for 499. sigh*

i guess i got taken for a bit. here in cali though guns are expensive and there isn't much competition...

oh well.

anybody got any suggestions other than replacing it? and if so, is this something that i have to take to a gunsmith? and anybody know a gunsmith in Los angeles?

"honest business" my foot! =(

then again, it's my fault for not going over the gun with a fine tooth comb.

If you enjoyed reading about "DARN IT!! I bought a p228 with rust on it...doh" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HighVelocity
September 21, 2005, 03:01 PM
Do a search for "rust removal" and you'll find all the info you want.

nextjoe
September 21, 2005, 03:01 PM
Sounds like a good excuse to send it off to Tripp Research for a full hard-chrome job :D

Fine steel wool and a little bit of oil will usually take off surface rust specks without damaging the bluing.

eclipse1
September 21, 2005, 03:42 PM
try kings in glendale they may have a cure for you pistol
good luck

Amadeus
September 21, 2005, 03:49 PM
If a little oil and some careful scrubbing doesn't do it try Gunsight in Fullerton. George DiLeo is the owner and has an excellent reputation.

Arkady
September 22, 2005, 10:10 PM
When it was still wearing the factory bluing, I used to find spots of rust on my P228 (learned to pick up brass AFTER i put the gun away).

It happens. Unless their is pitting, it isn't really a problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "DARN IT!! I bought a p228 with rust on it...doh" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!