Dating and guns...

PDA

bogie
March 27, 2003, 09:48 PM
Okay, campers, I'm gonna try it again... And since I don't have a great life outside work (won't date anyone from work), don't dig the bar/singles scene, etc., I'm figuring that the online thing is the best bet...

Now, I don't want to pull up to pick someone up, have 'em notice the NRA sticker on the car, and go nutso on me. Nor do I want to meet someone who can't otherwise deal with this facet of me. It's the way I am...

Now, I've tried this before, with a modest amount of success (met Tammy that way), but that's irrevocably over (after a coupla years). Thing is, a short time ago, someone answered an online ad, and I think that they were SERIOUS in that they wanted someone with a gun around, due to ex troubles... NOT my scene, you know?

So, anywho, could I ask y'all critique on this? I've posted an ad on Match.com, under the name bogiestl. Am I being too into the gun thing on it? Or how would you do it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Dating and guns..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Navy joe
March 27, 2003, 10:09 PM
No, you handled it pretty well. And you cleaned up. Seriously, how many times a decade do you get caught in a suit? :D

I'm about to get more blunt about my needs since I too stoop to online dating as a result of giving every waking hour to Uncle Sam.

Wanted: Good woman. Progressive reloading skills a plus. Send a color pic of the reloader. Exxtra points if you can hand me a Dillon catolog with both you and the reloader in it.

I'm not asking fer too much am I?

Mastrogiacomo
March 27, 2003, 10:13 PM
I don't know how guys would react to me. A woman into martial arts, canto-pop, martial art films and Beretta guns? I've met a few that can handle the martial art aspect but firearms...I dread what they'll think of me.:rolleyes:

Mike Irwin
March 27, 2003, 10:25 PM
The photo with the rifle?

Scary as hell.

Navy joe
March 27, 2003, 10:56 PM
It is scary Mike, kinda like a Jerry Garcia silences the critics moment. (Think "Touch of Gray")He won't sur-vive...

QuarterBoreGunner
March 27, 2003, 11:02 PM
And this is why I thank god I'm married to a woman that can put up with my gun weirdness.

We even have a system; every firearm I buy, she gets an equivalent monetary amount in shoes.

And it works out pretty well- she brings home a pair of black shoes and I say “Don’t you already have a pair like that?” And she says “Well yes, but these are flats/pumps/whatever…”

I bring home another 1911 and she says “Don’t you already have a 1911?” And I say “Yes…but this is a Kimber/Colt/whatever…”

It works for us.

Tamara
March 27, 2003, 11:11 PM
Dating and guns...

Of course! I always try to find out what year my guns were made. :)

:uhoh:

Er, um, that wasn't the question, was it? :o

Quartus
March 27, 2003, 11:23 PM
Hmmm.

Say, Tamara, do you prefer to date older guns?

:D

Steve Smith
March 27, 2003, 11:27 PM
Hey, I never knew Jerry Garcia was a Benchrester! Got some ice cream?

I don't think the BR pic is "scary" but its not a good pic, IMHO. Try again with the new grooming practices. ;)

sm
March 27, 2003, 11:29 PM
bogie, good luck!

dating, marriage, guns...
IMNSHO the later is by far the least expensive,

"...next time I find a woman, gonna just hand her the keys to the house...gonna get it anyway, cut out the lawyers..." -paraphrased,Lewis Grizzard

Croyance
March 28, 2003, 02:47 AM
Mastrogiacomo, the guys that cannot handle the gun thing. Would you say that is because you are in Boston, or is that something you find elsewhere?

Dr.Rob
March 28, 2003, 05:37 AM
Best mentioned casually and early.

Lets see I like Scrabble, french films, Dennis Miller, Scuba, Target shooting, long walks in the rain, laughter and dogs.. what about you?

It's a shame to have your would be paramour freak when she sees your gun safe. De-mystify it.

You shoot guns?

Yeah.

Don't you think that's odd?

Nope I think GOLF is odd.. you see the way those guys dress?

stockpile
March 28, 2003, 08:35 AM
stockpile.

shermacman
March 28, 2003, 09:14 AM
I think the fact that women are interested in firearms is a great thing! Both my wife and my girl friend have CCW's!
...wait a minute...:what:

Mastrogiacomo
March 28, 2003, 11:52 AM
The gun issue with guys here isn't a Boston thing -- I think. I doubt an Italian guy would be troubled by a girlfriend that knows how to use a Beretta...;) I think it's more of a shock -- maybe they see it as unlady-like and wonder whether to take me out to dinner or rock climbing? One guy commented my arms were big -- they're natually built looking which runs in the family, and has nothing to do with weight lifting. Chinese martial arts don't push hard weight training and I do more time on the treadmill than anything else. I actually get more stares from other women when they hear I have guns. "How can you do that. I'm mean with a gun you have to point and everything." Thank God I'm not gay...I can the guys better.:D

Mastrogiacomo
March 28, 2003, 11:55 AM
I meant to say I can handle the guys better...:o But you know Croyance, you may be right yet. Boston isn't exactly a gun friendly state. I've been pushing for a Class A for a while and now a Class A restricted; no reply from the station. Maybe the Chief of police doesn't think guns are lady-like either...:scrutiny:

coonan357
March 28, 2003, 01:03 PM
well Bogie I can speak from experiance on this on , I met my ex-fiance from being on match.com, but beware , there are soccor mommie types that will critize you for being on there with a gun , I mentioned I target shoot in my ad ( which has been withdrawled for over a year ) and I actually got hate mail (which you turn over to the admin.) but then again this is chicago . if your honest and up front about every thing it works out better than the" I like walks on the beach and look at the stars types of lies" .. (sorry for the line el tej but had to steal it ) and when you meet the person don't flood them with gun stats .. j/k leave the nra stickers on the bogiemobile if they cannot handle it then they are not the one , otherwise they will try to make you give up something you enjoy and make you misserable , I met a lady just recently and on the first date I told he about my target shooting hobbie and she wasn't scared off , I asked her if it bothers her knowing that I target shoot or own firearms ( use this word instead of guns a litle gun Pc works in certain cases ) she said no and asked me what I shoot . she actually thought it was kind of interesting , also if they seem interested ask them if they would like to learn or try it sometime, (shooting sicko's ) you might be suprised most women don't know what a handgn or rifle feels like or how much they weigh ( except our lovelys here which are all taken) :( :banghead: just beeing up front and patient you might get what you are looking for oh BTW Match is the most liberal board out there , try several others like Emode , and freind finders . good luck

illuminatus99
March 28, 2003, 01:22 PM
generally if she goes to the range with you on your first date then things are good, it's even better if she brings her own guns. :D

there's enough women out there that one should never have to compromise. I got lucky, my wife wasn't really into guns until after we'd been together for a while, she grew up with guns in the house but was never much of a shooter, I proposed to her not too long after she bought me a rifle for my birthday :) there was more where that came from too, she put up half the money for my AK and for our favorite pistol and bought me a range membership for valentines day. if you hang in there you can find one like that too.

rennaissancemann
March 28, 2003, 02:21 PM
bogie
Like you and Navy joe, I've done the online dating thing due to the small tight circles that I orbit in due to vocation and lifestyle. If guns and gun related issues are a part of who you are and how you look at the world, then you need to put it in your personal ad. Look at it this way, you personal ad performs the same function for dating as a résumé does for a job interview. Your résumé's sole function is to get you a personal interview. Your personal ad's sole function is to get you a date. You don't send your résumé to a company you don't want to work for and you don't want to date someone who doesn't share your core beliefs. Best of luck.

Mastrogiacomo
There are a lot of guys in this world who look for an attractive wall flower as dating material. Insecure, simpering, girliemen. There are other men who view a woman who studies martial arts and carries a gun as someone who is confident, secure, and responsible. If a guy has problems with that, he's probably not the kind of fellow who is worth your time.

bogie
March 28, 2003, 02:38 PM
Thanks, guys...

This year at the Supershoot, I'll probably get another "short haired with target rifle" picture, and put it up.

280PLUS
March 28, 2003, 02:38 PM
too bad i hadn't met you before the present SO,

we could have had our first date at the s&w range...

oh well, maybe she'll throw me out some day...

:evil:

i don't have a problem with girls that know martial arts and have guns...or even ones with big arms

as long as they're not beating up on and/or shooting me,,,

and their arms aren't quite as big as mine...

Mastrogiacomo
March 28, 2003, 05:40 PM
Not to worry, my arms aren't THAT big...:D I think the guy that said that to me was a lanky, skinny type. I just look fit and always have been active with riding my bike and Chinese martial arts. It doesn't make me look any different from another woman running on the treadmill in the gym.

No guy at the moment, except my Berettas "Giuliano" and "Triddu.":p

SquirrelNuts
March 28, 2003, 06:00 PM
Check out...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?=&threadid=13715

I have taken many girls shooting before on dates. Read the whole thread, it is about two different girls.

I read your Match.com listing. I would simply leave it as "I am a target shooter." Don't give away too much information, you need to have something else to talk about when you meet someone. Leave a little mystery. If the person is seriously anti, they will pass up the listing then.

-SquirrelNuts

SquirrelNuts
March 28, 2003, 06:04 PM
One more thing. It is generally not good to talk about past relationships with a new date.Came close to marriage a coupla times, but hey, life happens...

-SquirrelNuts

Standing Wolf
March 28, 2003, 06:46 PM
One of the reasons I left the People's Republic of California to return to the United States last year was that I couldn't seem to meet women who weren't a.) grossly overweight; b.) horrendously self-centered; c.) whacko leftist extremists, or d.) all the above.

My social life may not be entirely satisfying here, but it's a vast improvement.

I've dated two women who were involved in the martial arts, and had the pleasure of introducing one to shooting.

Mastrogiacomo
March 28, 2003, 08:09 PM
Us Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Rothrock types can be fun! I love Tango, the Ballet, nice Italian restaurants -- just because we kick butt doesn't make us butch. You get to know me, there's really nothing to be afraid of...well, except Giuliano and Truddu. :scrutiny: :D

coonan357
March 28, 2003, 08:44 PM
I am digging up my files on match to see how I exacly worded it .. I think i said something to the fact of I have a unussuall hobby and its not something illegal either . i'll let you know when I find it I don't believe this I am recieving something about a class action lawsuit against match.com for residents of illinois..

edit : found it this is what I said ". I target shoot so dealing with a person who shoots guns is a must ,I am willing to teach also ."
I guess I am rather blunt and to the point .

Coronach
March 28, 2003, 10:03 PM
Funny. My Administrator Control Program just told me that Mastrogiacomo's PM box just filled up, and the bounced PM subroutine on the overflow is seriously degrading server performance.

Mike

:neener:

Mastrogiacomo
March 28, 2003, 10:09 PM
:uhoh: Who knew that was possible?:D :p

Wylycoyte
March 28, 2003, 11:21 PM
Which martial arts do you study? I've been at hsing yi, ba gua and wing chun for about 7 years now.

ENC
March 28, 2003, 11:32 PM
Rules for dating Women

1 Single

2 Attractive

3 Mentally stable

Pick any two.

Note I am not one to give advice on Women

280PLUS
March 29, 2003, 09:10 AM
is it ok to talk about present relationships with a new date?
:evil:

wolf, i know what you mean about cali...

i was engaged to a girl there many years ago. we're talking the "holistic" lifestyle vegetarian (not that theres anything wrong with that) :barf: granola and yogurt, zucchini lasagna, uh meanwhile she was a senior at san diego state and couldn't spell her way out of a paper bag, but she was a phys ed major so i guess it didn't matter. :D

mastro-i'm seriously thinking of april 6 - 10 a.m at s&w range in springfield if you feel like taking a ride. just to hook up and pop a few off, i want to see what they got and might want to try that .50 (compensated please). in case you don't know for $25 they will give you any gun in the case, a box of rounds and some targets, plus you can bring your own toys, of course

this offer goes to anyone else close enough to springfield mass. (not missouri) if you want to hook up at S&W sunday april 6 im pretty sure they open at ten, i will check. we can rent a few different guns and trade around. just show up there i guess or at least let me know you'll be there.

tried this before, not much response the first time...

m

280PLUS
March 29, 2003, 09:12 AM
sounds like all the boys found out mastro is single...

:what:

TekChef
March 29, 2003, 02:19 PM
If were close to Boston(I am moving to PA out of the PRK in a month,,Freeee at last!!!), I would too.
you gotta admit..a tough, gun shooting, butt kicking female is hard to resist!

280PLUS
March 29, 2003, 02:24 PM
skip pa move to boston

shorty...

TekChef
March 29, 2003, 03:15 PM
Nah....Pa felt right at home when I went there...

and sides, my GF in Philly would kill me!:D

coonan357
March 29, 2003, 09:28 PM
I 'd move to baaasston but my accent won't let me ( mixed southern Ind/ Cicero Il ) :D

Mastrogiacomo
March 29, 2003, 09:45 PM
Wing Chun for five years with some Arnis. Looking to get back into it when I get working including studying Jeet Kune Do. A teacher in my area was certified under Ted Wong out in California, so I'm excited about getting a chance to study privately with him.:)

Jedi_7.62
March 30, 2003, 02:26 AM
Personally I think it makes you more interesting. The problem I've encountered is women usualy seem O.K. with hunting but get freeked when they realise I carry and the mention of an AK 47 sends them running.

Met one girl told me she was involved with PETA and a Vegan. Went straight home dropped her on corner.
I was in a good mood I actually used the brakes.

What do ya do?:D

atek3
March 30, 2003, 03:20 AM
I go to UC-Berkeley. Not exactly prime recruiting ground for a gun-nut libertarian girlfriend. My ex-gf started as a non-shooting communist, and after a year and a half she was a libertarian shooter, however I had to end things in order to stay sane. I have no clue how i'm going to find a girlfriend.

atek3

280PLUS
March 30, 2003, 06:43 AM
just do things that interest you and be yourself and sooner or later you'll run into somebody that shares the same interests.
get out, do stuff, meet people...
be patient

thats all...

m

besides, like i tell my son, you aint there for the party, you there to LEARN,,, all else is second to that till you got that pice o' paper in your hand.

Feanaro
March 30, 2003, 07:06 AM
Why not just marry your favorite gun? Or have a harem, for those who can't decide. They never talk back, unless you push the wrong buttons and they are always in the mood for a little fun. :)

Wylycoyte
March 30, 2003, 12:59 PM
Wing Chun for five years with some Arnis.

Sa-weet! I've been at playing with the sticks for a while myself, catching some rattan goodness in Chicago with Nate Defensor & Co.! Good luck with your training!

SodaPop
March 30, 2003, 02:07 PM
I'm a single never been married male who has started dating older divorced females. So far its been working.

Young chics are stupid.

FNFiveSeven
March 30, 2003, 02:50 PM
atek3,

A fellow Berkeley student, huh? I actually graduated a few years ago and am a grad student at UCLA these days. I know exactly what you mean about the girls up there, most, if not all of them, are total left wing liberal nut cases. Yes it's true, the woman scene up there is hopeless, ESPECIALLY if you're an EECS/Chem/Physics/etc. major. All the anti gun BS up there is what drove me and my buddy to form the Berkeley Gun Club, man, that club realllly mad people mad. Of course, what they didn't understand was, the more angry they got at me, the more motivated I was to make the club a reality.

If you can, check out the club, see if it still exists... I'd love to hear that it does but I doubt it's still around.

Bainx
March 30, 2003, 04:29 PM
sorry Bogie but, I repeatedly read your origional posting and I simply do not understand your question. Can you re-phrase it in simpler terms?

Quartus
March 30, 2003, 04:54 PM
sounds like all the boys found out mastro is single...

How can you date a girl who's name is unpronounciatable? :confused:

BerettaNut92
March 30, 2003, 06:50 PM
A woman into martial arts, canto-pop, martial art films and Beretta guns? I've met a few that can handle the martial art aspect but firearms...I dread what they'll think of me.

What's canto-pop? Cantonese???!?!

Go to Hong Kong, lots of twin-Beretta wielding chop sockey types there :D

280PLUS
March 30, 2003, 06:51 PM
you just hope her first name is easier...

besides, for us "americans of italian descent" her name IS one of the easier ones...

you folkies would NEVER get mine right

Marko Kloos
March 30, 2003, 06:54 PM
How can you date a girl who's name is unpronounciatable?

That's probably part of her eligibility requirements for dating her...you have to be able to pronounce her screen name. ;)

aikidoka-mks
March 30, 2003, 11:23 PM
Mastrogiacomo,

If only I could find a woman like that in NW Indiana. A co-worker who grew up in wisconsin is fine with guns but she is married. An ex-gf is studies kempo but the terrible thing is that she lives in Chicago now!

Mark

coonan357
March 30, 2003, 11:35 PM
mark they are there in Nw Ind but you have to go a little more to the east . Valpo area ... why do you think I want to go back "home"

aikidoka-mks
March 31, 2003, 12:09 AM
Yep east and south of where I am at (Hammond). Valpo is nice, My aunt & uncle live there.

Mark

If you enjoyed reading about "Dating and guns..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!