Let's see your Bullseye shooter's boxes.

PDA

JackOfAllTradesMasterAtNone
September 22, 2005, 02:47 AM
Thinking about building my own. Did you build your own or buy one? Most I've seen are just plywood, have clamps for pistols, or drawers. What have you found works for you? If you'd change anything about yours, What?

(Photos encouraged)

-Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "Let's see your Bullseye shooter's boxes." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ClarkEMyers
September 22, 2005, 03:58 AM
When I was shooting I used a 4 gun on advice from the Gil Hebard catalog - big enough to carry everything you need and not too big to actually carry. 3 gun is plenty big enough and handier for shooting around home in weekly league matches but 4 gun is better for traveling away from home.

Sold my original many years ago and recently bought a 5 gun Pachmayr new in box to replace it - I'd buy another Pachmayr off E-Bay before I tried to build my own but the 5 gun is definitely too bulky for regular use.

Pretty sure that one of the older Monte Burch books - yellow cover? Outdoorsman's Workshop (?) had some quite good plans and bills of material for a first rate plywood box - if not Monte Burch I'm still pretty sure it was a yellow cover but all my books from that era are in dead storage - used to be a lot more such when Winchester Press was making an effort.

Sunray
September 25, 2005, 04:06 AM
"...just plywood, have clamps for pistols, or drawers..." Other than a mount for a spotting scope, what else would you need? Even the expensive commercial boxes have nothing more than that. Mind you, a brief case with padding has always worked for me. Used a wooden ammo box for a long time too. Don't have a spotting scope. when I was shooting bullseye regularly I needed a .22 and a centre fire. A two gun box will do. Plus space for ammo. 50 rounds of each will do. Mind you, I was shooting a specific course of fire.
3/8" to 1/2" plywood works just fine for a guy making his own box. It's inexpensive and a bit of padding(think blue foam sleeping mats) is easy to put on. 10 oz, cotton(blue jean weight) isn't expensive either as an internal liner. Or just leave it as is. Padded canvas or garment suede with a butterfly screw on threaded rod to keep the guns from moving will do.
A net search might turn up some gun box plans.

September 26, 2005, 04:43 AM
Well, I guess that's what a friend and I are thinking. Building something like the Packmayr. But I'd prefer drawers for four pistols. I currently use two Ruger MkII's, one with red dot, one open sights. I have a .45 on the way, and will surely add another centerfire match pistol. I figure that we can build two out of plywood with quality piano hinges and other hardware to make the task cost effective. Not to mention the personal touches we desire. Building "one" might not be any better than just buying a commercial shooters box. If anyone has plans for a regulation box, (if there is such a thing), or if you can provide what a limitation is in size on the firing line, that would be most helpful.

-Steve

Brian Williams
September 26, 2005, 09:35 AM
I got some plans from here, I did not make it yet.
http://www.again.net/~steve/table3.html
http://www.again.net/~steve/jpg/gunbox.jpg

jaybar
September 27, 2005, 03:01 PM
The plans shown by Brian are a good starting point. I think they were conceived before shooters started mounting an optical sight on our bullseye guns. By my calculations the distance from the top of the gun tray to the bottom of the drawer is about 5 1/2" to 6"" which is fine for iron sighted guns. In my experience you need a minimum of 7 1/2" clearance to accomodate most scoped guns. Ideally, you should have 8"of clearance. That translates to a 16 3/4" height dimension for the side panel instead of the 14 1/4" on the drawing. I have modified several old Pachmayrs to accomodate scoped guns by moving the gun tray shelf down. You are restricted as to how far you can lower the gun tray shelf and still have sufficient room for the average spotting scope to fit under the shelf. Most pistol box scopes are slightly more than 2 " in diameter (50mm objective lens). I move the gun tray shelf down so there is 3" of clearance under it for the spotting scope which leaves 7 1/2" of clearance above it for scoped guns.

Jack-of-all etc - there is no restriction on size or official size. The following is rule 3.9 from the NRA rule book:
3.9 Shooting Kits - The shooting kit may be taken to the firing point when it is of such size and construction as to not interfere with shooters on adjacent firing points

September 28, 2005, 01:22 AM
Thanx everone for the input. Jaybar, yes, I could see how scopes may not fit. I plan on modifying this design to have two drawers that will hold two pistols. Making it a four gun case. But my buddy might want to go with clamp style holders.

Ah, the options.... :D

-Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "Let's see your Bullseye shooter's boxes." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!