steyr pistols

PDA

michiganfan
March 27, 2003, 10:30 PM
whats the scoop on the quality of these pistols. CDNN seems to be selling these in a varity of calibers for a pretty decent price. Was thinking of getting one in 357 sig for my collection any comments

If you enjoyed reading about "steyr pistols" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Coronach
March 28, 2003, 01:30 AM
1. There is a question as to their safety. There is a small, vocal group of people who claim that Steyr pistols are basically just ADs waiting for the right set of circumstances to go off. The rest seem satisfied with the setup. Do a search for "steyr" and "safety" here and on TFL and read up. I'm no expert, I don't own one, but I would not eschew one due to the safety issue. JMO.

2. The sights are...unique. Some love 'em, some hate them.

3. I've handled one (M9), and I found the ergonomics, handling and pointability to be superb. I *really* liked it.

4. Steyr recently went through a change of US distributors that can best be described as a fiasco. This caused a lack of marketing, questions about supply and service/support, etc etce tc. Last I heard, that is all resolved and hopefully the pistols will begin to flow again.

Bottom line? If I can find a S40 or (dream!) S357, I will probaably buy one.

Mike

macd
March 28, 2003, 10:12 AM
Let me chime in here. I bought a Steyr M40 from CDNN a couple months ago. I can report after 500 rounds this is one of the the best and most accurate pistols I've ever shot. I amazed everyone on my last outing by dumping 10 shots in a 1" circle at 35 ft, off hand no rest. I wish I could put those sights on every pistol I own.

It has been utteryly reliable not one single problem yet. I also have a HI-Power .40 and a CZ-75B both of which are less accurate than my Steyr.

As far as the AD arguement I have seen a posting by the designer of the weapon on another board saying that the gun will not AD if the sear fails. I've seen all kinds of discussion on the Steyr blowing up if its dropped from a 40 story building on and on.

If you are looking for a reliable accurate pistol for a killer price, jump on the Steyr.

aircarver
March 28, 2003, 11:00 AM
Could you post where to find that treatise on Steyer safety ? (Not what's on TFL...I read all that...) I own one and have utterly no confidence in carrying it cocked, what with the 'single point failure' mechanism the only thing blocking the cocked striker.

Gary G23
March 28, 2003, 02:45 PM
I really like my M357. My M40 was only 98% reliable but the 357 is 100%. It might be too because the 357 is newer. I heard they made improvements in the pistols with serial numbers >10000.

Coronach
March 28, 2003, 02:58 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?threadid=9001&highlight=steyr+safety

Is a pretty good thread. There are many others. A search with "steyr" and "safety" yields 26 results.

Mike

SouthpawShootr
March 28, 2003, 07:13 PM
Anybody know who the new importer is? I know it is not dynamit/nobel (or however it is spelled), so much the better. I have an M9 that I like and would be interested in getting another model (S9, M40, or S40), but I'm not willing to take the plunge unless support is available should I have any problems.

Beav
March 28, 2003, 09:06 PM
I decided to e-mail the Steyr offices on the status of an importer, this is what I got;

Dear Sir,
thank you for your e-mail of March 20.
Steyr Mannlicher started in December 2002 the cooperation with a new
importer for our Pistols in USA. Now you should get our pistols and
accessories from the distributor

DAVIDSON'S
or
CDNN

Concerning spare parts and after sales service you can also contact Diamond
Trail Shooter's Supply via the following means:

Diamond Trail Shooter's Supply
606 South Front Street
Montezuma, IA 50171
(641) 623-3098 telephone
(641)623-5672 fax
mshearn@netins.net

Michael Shearn
Marketing Director
Diamond Trail Shooter's Supply/Airgun Express

Hoping to be able to help you. If there are any problems please do not
hesitate to contact us again.

With best regards
STEYR MANNLICHER GmbH. & Co KG

> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: xxxxxxxx [SMTP:xxxxxxxxx.com]
> Gesendet am: Donnerstag, 20. März 2003 22:59
> An: office@steyr-mannlicher.com
> Betreff: USA Importer for M-Series handguns
>
> Hello,
>
> I understand that currently there is no importer for the Steyr M-series
> pistols in the US. Is this true, and if so, will there be an importer in
> the
> near future?
>
> Thank you,
> xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

SouthpawShootr
March 28, 2003, 09:14 PM
And how is warranty work handled?

If you enjoyed reading about "steyr pistols" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!