Flattening/serrating slide tops

PDA

natedog
September 22, 2005, 09:26 PM
I've noticed that several pistolsmiths offer a service to flatten and serrate the tops of various pistols. What purpose does this serve?

If you enjoyed reading about "Flattening/serrating slide tops" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Majik
September 23, 2005, 12:07 AM
Its suppose to reduce glare from the sight picture.

Personally, I see it more as an asthetic reason. But... I do like the way it looks :D

9mmepiphany
September 23, 2005, 12:08 AM
it gives you:
1. it gives you a flat plane to sight along the top of your slide...somthing that ties the front and rear sights together
2. the serrations break up glare and draw you eye toward the front sight.
3. gives you gun a "different" look...more different would be serrations without flattening the top of the slide.

it give the gunsmith:
1. an oppurtunity to show off his skill
2. more money

i personally like serrations on the frontstrap of pistols

Moonclip
September 23, 2005, 01:23 AM
I had a Colt that came that way from the factory. It was ok but I like the classic round top slide look better.

farscott
September 23, 2005, 05:53 AM
I have 1911's with the stock round slide, with a serrated round top, with unserrated flat tops, and with serrated flat tops. My preference is for the serrated flat top. The serrations do seem to reduce glare, especially on hard chromed slides. On blued slides, I have really noticed no difference. I very much like the aesthetic of a serrated flattened slide.

Flattening the slide top also makes the front sight appear taller. I seem to pick up the front sight a bit quicker on pistols with a flattened top.

If you enjoyed reading about "Flattening/serrating slide tops" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!