Are FAMAS bullpups sold in Canada?

PDA

MatthewVanitas
September 23, 2005, 12:38 AM
The recent thread on the legality of the SIG 550/551 in Canada got me to thinking: is the FAMAS sold in Canada?

I'm a bit unclear as to the intricacies of Canadian gunlaw, though I understand it's generally more restrictive than in the states. But Canadian import laws seem laxer, thus the SIGs, Norinco M14s, etc.

But the FAMAS? Do those float around in Canada? Are they particularly popular in Quebec? Inquiring minds want to know: any word from our Northern THRers?

http://world.guns.ru/assault/famas_f1.jpg

(pic from world.guns.ru , they rock)

If you enjoyed reading about "Are FAMAS bullpups sold in Canada?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
September 23, 2005, 02:04 AM
Nope. Famas and Spas-12's are prohibited up here. Just because of they look mean. Logic does not apply to any of our gun laws. Most of us suspect the twits got a copy of Small Arms of the World and picked the ones they didn't like the look of and banned them. One way or another. Either by an outright ban or making them restricted requiring special permits and courses to own. It costs about $500Cdn to get all the permits. There is a hidden agenda to eventually not permit the private ownership of firearms of any kind up here.
They wiped out private ownership of .25 and .32 cal and any handgun with a less than 4" barrel in one swoop. Yep, no 4" revolvers in any calibre unless you had one prior to the cut off date. We can own high end .32 target pistols though. There's a very specific list of which ones are ok.
You can't import a Norinco M305 due to Clinton's politically inspired ban in 1985. I suspect your ATF told him there'd be a flood of cheap "assault rifles" if he didn't ban them. There's not that many of 'em here either. Marstar sells every one they can get though. Real semi'd M-14's are prohibited here as they are Stateside. Converted FA's are a whole class of rifle unto themselves. If you had one prior to the cut off date you can keep it, but no more are being imported OR converted. M1A's are ok, but are also mucho expensive. 2 grand or more.
Please join us at http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/.

The Grand Inquisitor
September 23, 2005, 04:22 PM
I'd love to get a FAMAS, and I do know that there are some semi-auto's floating around here in the US, but there are only a few thousand, and since their owners will never be able to replace them, they hardly ever sell them.

If anyone knows of one, I'd love to get my hands on it - the FAMAS is a personal favorite.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are FAMAS bullpups sold in Canada?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!