How many rounds for a Glock 17

PDA

TonyB
September 23, 2005, 02:26 PM
I figured out the other day I have about 5000 rounds through my G17..it shows a little wear ,but not much.What should I be looking for,or is it too early to worry?Apart from the slide locking open when I switched to a lighter spring,I've had zero problems. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "How many rounds for a Glock 17" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tomkatz
September 23, 2005, 02:35 PM
I have a generation one g17 that probably has 7-8000 through it......new springs a couple times and it just keeps on ticking.............tom

ChristopherG
September 23, 2005, 02:44 PM
How many rounds 'til what? 'Til it's broken in? :p

Really, the beauty of the Glock is that it's so carefree (well, one of its beautiful attributes). Keep it clean--every thousand rounds, whether it needs it or not!--and replace anything that breaks with stock parts. If you start looking for things to replace, then you'll hear the siren song of aftermarket parts, and before you know it you'll manage to make your Glock stop working like a Glock.

Moonclip
September 23, 2005, 04:09 PM
Supposedly a gunwriter has put close to 200000 rounds thru a Glock 17 with few problems. He also claimed to take a game animal like a goat or something at 100 yards with such a pistol too so take that for what it's worth.

Who knows though, I've manged to hit a small aluminium cylinder at 80 or so yards more often than not with a 22short Beretta 950bs.

JohnKSa
September 23, 2005, 08:53 PM
Chuck Karwan is the writer. I think the total is 190,000 something. Glock has a 17 that has over 300K rounds through it with out a failure of any major component. (deputy tom is right, it's Chuck Taylor, not Chuck Karwan)

deputy tom
September 23, 2005, 09:04 PM
Chuck Taylor is the writer that supposedly put/had put by many students a zillion rounds thru a 17.He claimed only a few broken parts and a few sets of weakened mag. springs.I'm not sure I believe the hype.Sorry.tom.

ChristopherG
September 23, 2005, 09:23 PM
I've manged to hit a small aluminium cylinder at 80 or so yards more often than not with a 22short Beretta 950bs

Wait, I'm confused; is 950bs the model number of the Beretta, or is 950 the model number, and the rest is just some kind of truth-telling reflex your daddy beat into you? ;)

Edmond
September 23, 2005, 09:52 PM
That is a lot of rounds. Not saying that I doubt the claims of almost 200K but I'm sure that's also the exception rather than the rule. As for my Glock, it's had 2K without any problems at all. Then again, 2K is probably not even broken in for a Glock. Their out of the box reliability is incredible! :eek:

Navy joe
September 23, 2005, 11:18 PM
Who knows? It's a gun, it could break tomorrow. I have a thing for GenII G17s, owning 3. The one I actually shoot has 15K+ from me through it and it is a police refurb., so who knows how many more. I recently had the extractor break on it, I just grabbed one out of the other parts and kept going. As for weak links, I know of these parts breaking: Mag release spring(from someone who did intensive reload practice), Trigger pin, and trigger return springs. I keep spares of all parts. Your most likely loss will be that sorry front sight if you have not replaced it, it falls off. The adj. rears fall apart eventually, the one on my G34 took about 30K rounds to die. Of course the rear frame rail broke on that 34, kind of why I'm not fond of GenIII frame rails.

I have only had glocks for a little over 2 years, with time I hope to push my two primary pieces well up into the six digit round counts, I'm sure they will be fine.

NMshooter
September 23, 2005, 11:25 PM
Only 5K rounds?

Barely broken in. :D

Shoot it a lot and do not worry, you own one of the most trouble free pistols available.

HSMITH
September 24, 2005, 12:26 PM
Your G17 should go well over 100K rounds easily.

10-Ring
September 25, 2005, 02:39 AM
I bought a 19 this year w/ 1k+ rounds through it...judging from how it looks now, I'll lose the thing before I even get close to wearing it out! :evil: :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "How many rounds for a Glock 17" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!