Old tools = bad barrels?

PDA

ed dixon
March 28, 2003, 01:14 AM
Picked up my Win. Trapper from a smith last week. He only drilled and tapped the tang to accept a Marble's peep sight. Didn't know him before this, but we started shooting the shinola about .308 vs. .30-06 and his experience working on the more common bolt guns in these calibers. One (okay, yet another) sidenote, he recommends Savage and Ruger over Winchester or Remington for durability and reliability. But then he went on to say that the quality of just about any stock rifle's barrel depends on how early or late it was made in a particular "run." He further explained that when new machining tools are installed they'll produce the best barrels first and then as they wear will make progressively poorer, sloppier barrels. He also said that manufacturers deliberately set aside the early-run barrels for commemorative, limited-edition, or higher-grade offerings. Never heard this before. Not a lot that could be done if it were true I guess, but sheez, do Weatherby machines just wear out till they start stamping Daisy on the end result? Sound right to anybody? I've had enough trouble getting car salesmen to promise I wasn't getting a Monday hangover car or a Friday too-excited-about-the-weekend-to-install-brakes lemon. I'll leave the full moon phenomenon out of the mix since that's getting into astrophysics and werewolves and may be considered OT.

If you enjoyed reading about "Old tools = bad barrels?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wildalaska
March 28, 2003, 01:56 AM
he recommends Savage and Ruger over Winchester or Remington for durability and reliability

WODR to your smith, he is not giving you correct information here at all. For durability and reliability under SEVERE use, Winchester and Ruger are a touch better than Rem, with Savages last.

But then he went on to say that the quality of just about any stock rifle's barrel depends on how early or late it was made in a particular "run." He further explained that when new machining tools are installed they'll produce the best barrels first and then as they wear will make progressively poorer, sloppier barrels.

Theoretically he is correct...practically he is not. My uinderstanding is that the tools for machining are roatated and resharpenened during specified intervals to prevent this problem I have seen runs of guns with some sloppier chambers (ie 1 or two out od 250-300) due to bad reamers, but those are rare exceptions and usually caught by quality control before they reach the consumer.

WilanotherrumourshotdownAlaska

Art Eatman
March 28, 2003, 09:10 AM
Yeah, I'll go along with the Northern Wild Child. It's normal behavior for any machinist to keep his tools sharp. It's a point of pride, for many...

Art

If you enjoyed reading about "Old tools = bad barrels?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!