Taurus makes a revolver that shoots .410 , sweet!

PDA

glockrock
September 24, 2005, 11:58 PM
A knockout in a small package.

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus makes a revolver that shoots .410 , sweet!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chopinbloc
September 25, 2005, 12:04 AM
no link? no picture? i saw a .410 revolver a couple years ago but i don't think it was taurus. big, ugly sob, though.

glockrock
September 25, 2005, 12:18 AM
you guys think of it for carry purposes? Self defense?

Hawkmoon
September 25, 2005, 12:21 AM
Specs?

Is the barrel rifled? Will it shoot .45 Colt as well as .410?

Azrael256
September 25, 2005, 12:28 AM
Yes, it's rifled, and it will shoot .45LC. It also shoots .44-40. The website is somewhat less than impressive, but the link is here. (http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?series=FH2) They start with the fourth one down.

I could see it being useful for hunting or general outdoor work. I don't really see much application for defense, but I suppose anything that goes bang will work just fine for most situations. I certainly wouldn't mind having one, if only for the "neato" factor.

Taurus 66
September 25, 2005, 12:41 AM
Why not just get a Taurus .41 magnum and call it even?

c_yeager
September 25, 2005, 02:38 AM
I wonder why they made it a five shot. Do they actually expect someone to try to conceal it?

english kanigit
September 25, 2005, 03:14 AM
I've shot a .410 revolver. Lotsa fun...
I don't recall the maker but I believe it was called the 'Thunder 5' or something to that effect. It had a separate cylinder for .45 LC.

Majic
September 25, 2005, 04:54 AM
Yes, it's rifled, and it will shoot .45LC. It also shoots .44-40.
I seriously doubt it will shoot a .44-40. A .43 caliber bullet rattling down a .45 caliber bore would make for very poor accuracy.

jeff-10
September 25, 2005, 05:01 AM
Yes, it's rifled, and it will shoot .45LC. It also shoots .44-40.

Doubt it shoots 44-40 but probably 454. Though if you put a 454 in there you might not like the result.

Darth Ruger
September 25, 2005, 07:26 AM
Looks like it's available in both rifled and smoothbore. The rifled version has a short barrel:
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=4410TKR-2B&category=Revolver

And a longer barrel on the smoothie:
http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=4410TrackerB&category=Revolver

But it also says the smoothbore can shoot both 44-40 and 45LC. :confused: I'm not sure what to make of that, but the 6.5" smoothbore version with .410 shells might make a decent snake gun.

nipprdog
September 25, 2005, 07:36 AM
thanx, Darth, for posting the links that the thread starter should've posted.

Sewerman
September 25, 2005, 10:02 AM
Thats really cool. I have a taurus 38 spcl. that Ive had for years it shoots better groups than my glock 22 :D

Lone_Gunman
September 25, 2005, 10:46 AM
Being a gun snob, I have never owned a Taurus, but I think this is one I really need to consider.

craig
September 25, 2005, 10:56 AM
that would be the perfect snake gun for around here. we've been getting some rattlers passing thru because a development is going in up the road.

BluesBear
September 25, 2005, 11:13 AM
For those of you have the ability to search, do a search and you'll see we've been discussing this revolver for about eight months now.

Taurus is indeed touting that it will fire .410, .45 Colt and .44-40. :scrutiny:

I'm more worried about that .44-40 case splitting in the .45 chamber. :uhoh:

And they will all be rifled. To make one smoothbore would be highly unlawful. Remember a smoothbore has to have a barrel of at least 18" and an overall length of 26" or it becomes a sawed off shotgun and subject to the National Firearms Act of 1934.

zahc
September 25, 2005, 11:24 AM
Hmm, wonder if they could just make it a very shallow 1-in-25878 inch twist.

Waitone
September 25, 2005, 12:11 PM
Just added to my list.

PCGS65
September 25, 2005, 12:54 PM
I was thinking about S&W 686, but this taurus sounds better(more power)gotta love it with a lifetime warranty. Right now I can't afford both. What do you guys think?

The Grand Inquisitor
September 25, 2005, 02:27 PM
I also have a Taurus in .38Special/.357Mag and I love it. It's a great, accurate pistol, and the only revolver I need own.

Darth Ruger
September 25, 2005, 02:36 PM
This is the first time some of us have heard of this revolver. I guess it does have very shallow rifling, although Taurus' website lists no twist rate and zero grooves. :confused: Here's the previous thread:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=123611&highlight=410

nextjoe
September 25, 2005, 03:38 PM
With that massive cylinder, I bet the DA pull won't be anything to write home about.

GunGoBoom
September 25, 2005, 05:10 PM
"Pull"! I mean "Draw"! I mean both. It certainly is intriguing. The Tracker-framed Taurus in .45 acp I have fits my hand pretty well ideally, so I may have to get a few more of them trackers - looking at the .44 mag, the upcoming triad in .357 mag/9mm/.38 super, and this .410 bore. But 2" or 6", that's the question. And yes, it seems dubious about shooting .44-40, what with a .427 bullet (vs. a .451-.452 one for .45 colt), not to mention, blowing out the case to a straight-walled each time it is fired. And yeah, it's kinda too bad that .454 casull will likely fit in there, as someone *is* going to hurt themselves doing so, despite the warning against it that I'm sure will come with the gun. :uhoh:

Here's all the existing or supposed upcoming tracker-framed guns, also known as their 'compact' frame, between a 'small' and 'medium' frame:

http://www.taurususa.com/products/gunselector-results.cfm?series=CF2

I think I want the Triad in 4"/blue, the .44 mag tracker in 4"/SS, and the .410 tracker in 2"/SS. Wish the Triad would come without the porting.

This belongs in either Handguns-General or Revolvers.

loose cannon
September 25, 2005, 05:25 PM
i said i wanted 1 in the 1st thread months ago.that hasnt changed but i also have the delima of 2.25" or 6.5".im currently leaning toward the 2.25 right now.

a good question would be which length causes wider spread patterns??

if i had my way and the stupid sbs law didnt exist. id have it smooth bored and set up with 2 choke tubes; one full and the other with paradox type rifleing for the 45 colt rounds.id stay away from the 44/40s lest the cowboy crowd lynch me for trashing that expensive brass lol.

landon74
September 25, 2005, 05:25 PM
I saw that and immediately thought 'snake medicine', plus you can put some .45 LC's in your pocket and should be able to deal with other stuff as well, it's kinda ugly but oh well, i'll take function over form in the case

BluesBear
September 25, 2005, 08:48 PM
I can't understand why someone doesn't produce one with a standard rifled barrel but threaded for the old style Thompson Center external choke tubes.

And why didn't Taurus make it a fraction bigger so it would handle 3" shells?

Having done experimentation many years ago by firing .44-40 in .45 colt chambers I can tell you it won't be satisfactory.
.38-40 in a .45 Colt chamber works nearly as well. Or should I say, isn't much worse?

What I find interesting is, that at the 2005 SHOT show, it was then called the .44-Ten. Taurus displayed a prototype and made no mention at all of it being able to fire .45 Colt. It was touted only as .44-40 and .410.

Also having owned several Contender barrels chambered for .410 3" I can say that many people are going to be disappointed by the performance of .410 in a handgun. Ask anyone who's owned a Blunder Five or one of those .410 derringers if they think the ballistics are anything to write home about from that short barrel.

Also the accuracy of the .45 Colt does anything but benefit from that long chamber.

There will be a lot of used ones for sale shortly after they hit the market.

And don't forget I really am a long time Taurus fan. I just think they've missed the boat on this one.

Ryder
September 25, 2005, 09:08 PM
What's next a 4 shot 20 guage snubbie? :D

I'd buy one.

3rdpig
September 25, 2005, 09:23 PM
Well it's certainly better looking than the Thunder 5. Good snake gun, probably much better than anything that fits in a belt holster.

Thunder 5 (http://www.thunder5.com/docs1.html)

BluesBear
September 26, 2005, 05:12 AM
I think I have discovered why the only Thunder Five I ever fired was very inaccurate with .45 Colt ammo.

They make and sell a .45-70 cylinder for the Thunder Five. The .45-70 uses a larger diameter bullet.

So between the oversize bore and excessively long leades in the chambers any accuracy is more accidental than intrinsic.

Kharn
September 26, 2005, 08:50 AM
How's the smooth-bore version not classified as a short barreled shotgun?

Kharn

BluesBear
September 26, 2005, 08:59 AM
There is no smooth bore version.

Kharn
September 26, 2005, 09:18 PM
This one (http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=4410TrackerB&category=Revolver) doesnt list a twist rate and has Groves: 0. :scrutiny:

Kharn

Azrael256
September 26, 2005, 10:19 PM
It also says the grips are "ribber."

I think they make mistakes now and then.

EddieCoyle
September 26, 2005, 11:48 PM
Isn't this kind of a dumb gun? How much better is a .410 than a .45 ACP or .41 Mag, or even a .357? How many of you have ever had to shoot a snake? I wear boots and just kick them if I have to interact with them at all. Really, if you're within shooting distance, can't you just sidestep a snake? I live in Mass but have spent a lot of time in timber rattler country and have never ever felt the need to shoot a snake. If it's true that you can't get one with a smoothbore barrel (unless you get "ribber" grips) how's a rifled barrel do with shot loads? I'm thinking that I'll spend my money on something (anything?) else. I guess I don't have enough handguns to "need" one of these yet.

And why buy a Contender barrel for .410 when you can get a NEF .410 for about 1/2 the cost of a Contender barrel?

Cortland
September 27, 2005, 02:00 AM
How's the smooth-bore version not classified as a short barreled shotgun?
Yeah, smooth-bore pistols are AOWs. No way they'd bother with a smooth-bore (or maybe not?).

BluesBear
September 27, 2005, 03:31 AM
It also says the grips are "ribber."

I think they make mistakes now and then. They're not alone.

It does have Ribber™ grips Several Taurus models do.
That's Taurus' trademarked style of recoil absorbing grips. It has dozens of hozitontal ribs that compress to allow the grip to conform to the shape of your hand.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/images/5-20001.jpg

I find them to be very comfortable.
They work very well on the 2˝" .41 Magnum..

Moonclip
September 27, 2005, 04:48 AM
Wow, you all remember the Thunder 5! I really want a .410 derringer, but they are considered illegal in my area as well as .410 contender barrels.

Azrael256
September 27, 2005, 06:33 PM
It does have Ribber™ grips Several Taurus models do. D'OH! I was sure that was a typo. I'll go back to my corner now.

Marshall
September 27, 2005, 07:33 PM
Pretty cool little hand gun for snakes and sending dogs running. I've often wanted a nice small Cottonmouth killer, most agressive snakes I've been around. It would be a perfect hangun used to shoot cans after throwing them in the air, heck I can't think of all kinds of little fun stuff for it. I doub't I would have much use for it other than for the .410 part.

Grayrock
September 28, 2005, 01:40 AM
Don't hold your breath waiting for it to come out. Website says available 4th quarter. I have been waiting for their Thunderbolt rifle to come out for nearly 2 years!! :what: So, I don't think anyone is going to see one of these .410 revolvers for quite a while.

Master Blaster
September 29, 2005, 09:19 AM
How many of you have ever had to shoot a snake? I wear boots and just kick them if I have to interact with them at all. Really, if you're within shooting distance, can't you just sidestep a snake? I live in Mass but have spent a lot of time in timber rattler country and have never ever felt the need to shoot a snake

I know its tough to imagine, but picture yourself as a resident of Arizona living on the edge of the desert. Imagine you have two little children ages 3 and 5. They love to play outside, so do the rattle snakes who sometimes have an annoying habit of making nests in your yard under the kids jungle gym.............you know where the kids play...... :rolleyes:

BluesBear
September 29, 2005, 11:48 AM
I was trying to ignore that inane comment but since MasterBlaster commented on it...

I'm wondering what Eddie does to protect his enormous gonads after he royally pisses off a six or eight foot rattler by kicking it?

I also am curious if his attitude for asset salvation in bear country is to just bop a Grizzly Bear on the nose?

and...

Even with ribber grips there won't be a smoothbore Taurus for sale in the USA.
Proper shot loads do a lot better in a rifled bore at 15 feet than you obviously comprehend.

Master Blaster
September 29, 2005, 12:47 PM
I was trying real hard too. But it reminds me of what I have often heard HUNTERS say at my club. That they dont understand why I or anyone, should be allowed to own an AR-15 or an AK clone, because THEY dont need one to hunt 'casue after they fire one shot the deer runs away. They, of course, support the assault weapon Ban:barf:

EddieCoyle
September 29, 2005, 07:28 PM
Whoa there Master Blaster! I never said that people shouldn't be able own them because they don't need them. I just said it was a dumb gun. I own several dumb guns. In fact, I'm going to buy another one this weekend.

I'm all for protecting the kids too. My kids are a little older (8 & 10) and I live in a non-desert area free from rattlers in the sandbox. However, rabies is a huge problem here (raccoons, possums, coyotes, foxes, etc) and I've had to dispatch a rabid raccoon out by my wood pile. I used a shot load too (buckshot, that is). Just not a .410.

I'm wondering what Eddie does to protect his enormous gonads after he royally pisses off a six or eight foot rattler by kicking it?

I also am curious if his attitude for asset salvation in bear country is to just bop a Grizzly Bear on the nose?

If I saw an 8' rattler, I wouldn't kick it (on purpose). I'd protect my enormous gonads by bow-leggedly walking quickly in the opposite direction.

I do stand corrected on the Grizzly thing however. I'm sure that a .410 shot load is the ideal anti-grizzly weapon, seeing as they do more damage than I obviously comprehend. :rolleyes: :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Taurus makes a revolver that shoots .410 , sweet!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!