NRA question...

PDA

280PLUS
March 28, 2003, 08:07 AM
has the nra been um, not "hassling" but uhhhh,,,calling you up asking for donations?

i just upped my membership to 5 years a couple months ago per their request for additonal funds to aid the battle against the anti gunners but last nite they wanted $100 - $200 and when i said no they then asked for maybe just $50.

to which i politely refused...

what's up with this??

:confused: :scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
March 28, 2003, 09:25 AM
ALL, repeat, ALL organizations, once you're on their mailing lists, hit on you for money and more money. NRA, PETA, political parties, you name it.

I set up a budget for "political purposes" for the year. I decide who gets how much, and that's the end of it. Once I send my $50 or whatever, I send no more to that particular outfit.

Phone calls? Hey, I ask them where they are, what's their regular job, how's the weather where they are, who do they think will be in the Super Bowl...

"Give us $$$..." mail? The circular file.

:), Art

Quantrill
March 28, 2003, 09:29 AM
280plus,
I am an NRA Endowment Life member and I still get targeted for (in my opinion) too many cash requests. I am told that you can have your name wiped off their "request" list but I still haven't figured out how. I basically ignore most of their requests without even opening the envelopes. I give when I can. Quantrill

mpthole
March 28, 2003, 09:31 AM
I was able to get off of the mass-mailing and phone call lists for the NRA. Of course, I don't remember how exactly I did it... Probably just called up their 800 number and told them what I wanted. Wasn't hard. Now the only mail I get from them is the monthly America's 1st Freedom and a renewal notice. :)

Steve Smith
March 28, 2003, 10:01 AM
You can thank the Dems for all that mail. They got some laws through that prevent the NRA from using your membership dues to pay for lobbying congress. All your dues go to publications, administration, and membership programs. Only your DONATIONS go toward the legislative efforts of the NRA. Now do you understand why they ask for money all the time?

Bottom Gun
March 28, 2003, 10:22 AM
I wrote to the NRA years ago and asked them to stop begging me for money and they removed my name from their solicitation list.
Now I can donate if and when I choose without being bothered by them.

Bravo11
March 28, 2003, 10:47 AM
I get mail from the NRA all the time asking for money because of some new legislation that needs some immedate funds to stop it.
I usually just chunk the mail in the can. You have to remember thats what the NRA does. I have no problem with it, I think its the best organization we have promoting the gun lobby.

Mike Irwin
March 28, 2003, 11:13 AM
Quantrill,

You call the membership 1-800 number.

Steven is absolutely right.

By Federal law non-profit and not-for-profit membership organizations cannot use membership dues money for political activities.

All of that money must come from member donations.

We had a discussion about this some months ago, but it all boils down to this -- NRA solicits its members with phone calls and direct mail for two reasons: 1. It's cheap, and 2. It's effective.

sm
March 28, 2003, 11:35 AM
Your supposed to answer the phone ? :D OOPs

Caller ID , if I don't recognize , I don't answer.
Circular file for mail.

I have a set budget for what I can do. I'm honest about that. So far I've not been hounded. I simply state I have a budget as an older returning student, this is is my budget, and honestly it would save them money on mail-out and phone calls not to involve me. I did call and re-new and in the conversation I mentioned something I wished I'd read the article, or had a resource for. They sent a copy and links. Later rec'd a letter of thanks on a vacation spot I suggested in our state during the chew the fat part of conversation.

jsalcedo
March 28, 2003, 12:25 PM
I've not recieved much in the way of calls and only 2 pieces of mail recently.

I wish they had notified me that membership dues did not go to lobbying.

I'm calling to donate immediately.

Thanks for the good info

The only saving grace is the MMM and Brady bunch Coalition to end handgun violence folks can't use their dues to lobby either.

I have a feeling they are not abiding with the rules from what I've seen. Maybe the gun grabbers will go to jail

:neener:

Mike Irwin
March 28, 2003, 12:59 PM
Here's a thread that hit a number of interesting issues regaring NRA and money, including executive salaries, the salary I was making when I was laid off, and the purpose behind the direct mail.

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6729&highlight=nra+direct+mail

keano44
March 28, 2003, 02:12 PM
Good information. Thanks, Mike.
Informative thread!

280PLUS
March 28, 2003, 02:25 PM
now if they had made that clear on the phone i mighta coughed up a few more bucks

instead i had to listen to some overly loud blurb by i think the vp about pending legislation.
then she says, " did you hear (?) alright?"

and i'm like, "well, actually, he WAS a little loud."

then she said something about hillary and my hair bristled

:eek:

i answer the phone almost always casue its a biz line and if its a marketer i take the opportunity to tell them i'm too busy for this nonsense and to take me off their list using various terms and phrasings that fit my mood at the given moment.

my mood can change abruptly if i think things are getting too pushy...

but the nra i give the benefit of the doubt. problem is, if i give them more $ they'll probably call me back even more...

:what:

if theyre polite and give me a month or so, maybe i'll kick in a few bucks, hey, ain't that tax deductible??

take it from uncle sam and give it to the nra,,,hmmmmm

:D

Mike Irwin
March 28, 2003, 03:14 PM
"hey, ain't that tax deductible??"

Depends. Donations to some of the different organizations in NRA are tax deductible. I believe the Firearms Civil Rights Legal Defense Fund counts. Donations to the museum? I think so.

Hopefully TaxPhD will see this thread and respond.

Standing Wolf
March 28, 2003, 07:00 PM
I asked the N.R.A. to take me off the telephone list, but keep me on the mail list: telemarketers always call when you're busy, and anyway, I don't hear well.

I send both the N.R.A. and G.O.A. as much as I can afford, and do so gladly.

coop57
March 28, 2003, 07:12 PM
God Bless the NRA. If we should fail to preserve our rights, we will experience a bloody revolt that will make our Civil War look like a tea
party.

Wayne D
March 28, 2003, 07:16 PM
You can thank the Dems for all that mail. They got some laws through that prevent the NRA from using your membership dues to pay for lobbying congress. All your dues go to publications, administration, and membership programs. Only your DONATIONS go toward the legislative efforts of the NRA. Now do you understand why they ask for money all the time?

I hope that same law keeps labor unions from using member dues for politics.

Stevie-Ray
March 28, 2003, 11:22 PM
I give them hundreds every year. I don't give every time they want it, or I'd be broke. But they've sent me many awards and notices to show their appreciation. Hey, the wife gives to the Humane Society, I give to the NRA/ILA/PVF. No, it's not tax-deductible, but it's my pet foundation and I'll give to them when I can. God help us all when there is no NRA.

Snaps
March 28, 2003, 11:38 PM
They have since I joined, but so does everything else I have joined in my life. Even credit card companies want money;) Of course now that I'm a poor college kid they can't have what I don't have.:(

4 eyed six shooter
March 29, 2003, 01:59 AM
I find that the requests for money from the NRA remind me that I need to donate on a regular basis. Since I have been a life member for a number of years now it's the only way they continue to get support from me. I also get requests from some of the liberal groups sometimes also. If they include a postage paid envelope, I stuff all the material back into the return envelope and mail it back to them. Somehow I always forget to put the check in.:evil:
My best to all, John K

280PLUS
March 29, 2003, 08:22 AM
hmmm, i gotta look into the tax deductible thing because i believe it's every american's duty to pay as little in tax each year to the US govt.

social security is a farce too.

do you know you could die on the day you become eligible to receive benefits and all your years worth orf hard earned money goes in the "kitty" and your surviving family members get zip?

oh, you do get $250 for burial expenses, i think that covers half of one obit.

so when i learned all this upon dad's untimely demise i vowed to give them as little as possible and have done quite well at it for the last few years.

figure out a way to deduct my donations to the nra? i'd be happy to and i'll be working on it!

:D

justice4all
March 29, 2003, 01:50 PM
Keep in mind the Second Amendment Foundation. This group has helped fight many legal battles for us, and donations are definitely tax-deductible. I think that's because they do not actively lobby for/against particular legislation/candidates.

zahc
March 29, 2003, 04:21 PM
I send what I can afford every mail notice I get. I think you should too. Last time I sent 5 dollars. No joke. But I DID contribute. I do care! If everyone did they'd have millions of dollars. I contribute. The amount is unimportant.

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!