.40 S&W concealed carry?

PDA

Krenn
September 25, 2005, 05:06 PM
I was THINKING about getting a Glock, however the lack of a manual safety has me a bit disconcerted. I looked at Hi-point, but the prices are relativly low, meaning that I start to worry about reliability.

Whats a good, moderatly expensive, concealed carry semi-auto? (in .40) preferrably also one with a big brother for when I want something with a little more accuracy or capacity and have time to grab it.

If you enjoyed reading about ".40 S&W concealed carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Edmond
September 25, 2005, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't worry about the lack of a manual safety on the Glock. The gun will only fire if the trigger is pulled. There are thousands that carry the Glock that do not have a problem with it. Of course, when someone does have a problem with it, they want to blame the gun instead of the user.

Krenn
September 25, 2005, 05:37 PM
it's not that I don't trust glock... I'm just a touch obsessive.

also, since most of the people I know are NOT gun-familiar, and a few are headstrong teenagers convinced of their immortality...

I'd just as soon have it be the pulling the trigger NOT always result in the gun firing... While I would observe all gun safety rules, of course, I have this mental image of some young idiot reaching across my arms as I pull out my gun and get ready to safely store it, and their finger hitting the trigger.

granted, its paranoid, but I'M the consumer here.

IZinterrogator
September 25, 2005, 05:52 PM
HK USP Compact in .40 might fit your needs.

Edmond
September 25, 2005, 05:55 PM
I'm not trying to offend you or anything but when you put something in bold, it appears as if you're yelling.

Krenn
September 25, 2005, 05:56 PM
I'll try to use italics for emphasis next time then.

USPCompact45
September 25, 2005, 06:06 PM
The xd-40 subcompact has all the safety that the glock has and a grip safety. It is quite concealable and reliable. It has full support for the .40 if it matters at all.

Braden
September 25, 2005, 06:21 PM
I'd just as soon have it be the pulling the trigger NOT always result in the gun firing...

I'm just the opposite. When I pull the trigger I want to hear the gun go bang EVERY time. Anything less is unacceptable as a self defense tool in my opinion. That's why I carry a Glock (not that there aren't other guns that are just as reliable).

But, if you're worried about other people pulling your trigger for you, then perhaps a gun safety class would be appropriate for all of the folks in your household (I'm assuming you're talking about people in your house).

My only handgun experience is with Glock, Ruger, Taurus, S&W and one little Colt .380. Of the ones I've handled, I'd recommend the Glock hands down over the others. And, since you're wanting .40 S&W, I'd recommend either the Glock 27 or the Glock 23 for concealed carry (I carry the Glock 22 daily but it's a full size gun and some folks can't conceal full size very well).

Krenn
September 25, 2005, 06:31 PM
I'm confident I can train housmates. it's obnoxious cousins and presuming family friends who have me concerned. and that's really not a LARGE concern, or I'd be taking more punitive actions to correct it. I'm just obsessive and overly cautious.

for military or police uses, I tend to agree that pulled trigger=fired round is the best design.

Edmond
September 25, 2005, 06:40 PM
it's obnoxious cousins and presuming family friends who have me concerned.

Those are the worst! You can probably even throw in the neighbor who thinks he knows everything. :what: Next thing you know, that neighbor will be trying to field strip your Glock. :eek: Yes, that is based on a true story. :cuss:

CZ-100
September 25, 2005, 07:38 PM
I have a CZ RAMI in .40 S&W that I carry and like it.

drf
September 25, 2005, 08:50 PM
H&K P2000 in .40 with decocker and a smaller version would be the P2000 SK in .40...

I dont think the SK comes with a decocker as of yet though just the LEM..

Expensive YES! But a well built gun made for the .40 cartridge and they will go bang when you need them too........

I also refuse to buy a Glock for the fact I dont feel their trigger system is safe.
But in my opinion manual safeties are a false sense of security and I dont like them...

Decockers are my cup of tea

This is the gun you asked for in your criteria.....drf

cuervo
September 25, 2005, 08:55 PM
If CDNN still has any left, look at Steyr pistols.

Very good price and very reliable.

And, isn't there a kit to add a thumb safety to a Glock? I don't know how well they work, but thought I'd seen it mentioned somewhere.

sp40cal
September 25, 2005, 09:29 PM
I have both the xd40c in 40cal and a g32 in the 357sig they. teach the family to be gun safe.

sp40 cal

Braden
September 25, 2005, 09:30 PM
And, isn't there a kit to add a thumb safety to a Glock? I don't know how well they work, but thought I'd seen it mentioned somewhere.

Yes, there ARE kits to add a thumb safety to a Glock if that's your preference.

Marshall
September 25, 2005, 09:41 PM
Springfield XD-40.

Kitt
September 25, 2005, 09:57 PM
I second the HK compact...I carry mine every day and just bought a fullsize 40 HK last week. Both have Meprolite nightsights and shoot to point of aim. Whatever you buy try out the Double Tap 165 gr. Gold Dot 40 S&W ammo... ;)

chris in va
September 26, 2005, 12:44 AM
I was in your shoes last year when trying to find my first CCW. Looked at the Glocks, didn't like the lack of redundant safety, so settled on the XD9. It just made me feel better having a grip safety to back up the trigger one.

Unfortunately I found out it wasn't the gun for me, but that's a separate issue.

PCRCCW
September 26, 2005, 10:19 AM
There are PLENTY of great guns out there that offer safeties or not. HK, Taurus, CZ, Bla Bla Bla.......just look around and see what suits you. Just to ease your mind...Cops carry Lawyer approved guns, which ALOT of them are Glocks.
Shoot well.

armoredman
September 26, 2005, 10:26 AM
CZ 40P, semi compact 40 from J&G Sales for $299, or the new CZ75 Compact 40, ambi safety, M3 rail, all steel, about $450 I think.

Boss Spearman
September 26, 2005, 10:27 AM
Try a Glock first and shoot 200 rounds or so through it. I did, and found that Glocks and XDs both bite the heck out of my trigger finger.

litework
September 26, 2005, 12:54 PM
Krenn-

Your concerns about carrying a Glock concealed are shared by others. I got rid of my Glock 23 because I was not comfortable carrying it in an IWB holster. With the number of viable alternatives out there, I sought something I would be more comfortable with.

In addition to the others already mentioned, Sig and Smith&Wesson offer many excellent concealable weapons in .40.

Ala Dan
September 26, 2005, 01:01 PM
another vote for the H&K's :uhoh: :D

Edmond
September 26, 2005, 03:03 PM
The "Baby Glocks" are extremely small and easy to conceal. Depending on your body type, it may or may not be for you.

The USPc's are very nice weapons. Pricey but they do have a manual safety and a decocker. However, they are worth it, IMO. :D

obiwan1
September 26, 2005, 04:22 PM
Why don't you just carry what you want. When you're not carrying it put a pad lock BEHIND the trigger. The gun can't be fired that way.

By the way, look at the Kahr K40. It shoots hot loads very well and is very easy to conceal. It's a little heavy, but see the first six words of the last sentence. I love mine. :D Also download the CDNN catalog and look at J&G Sales website. Lots of nice things to see.

UPD3315
September 26, 2005, 09:26 PM
I am going to go off the beaten path on this one. Take a peek at some Smith's. Maybe the S&W 4003...mid size, stainless, safety, reliable. Heavy though. There are quite a few used ones out there and they are relatively inexpensive ($300 range for used.)

xv920j
September 26, 2005, 10:58 PM
Take a look at the Witness .40 compact. The manual safety can be used with the hammer down, at half cock, or fully cocked. The passive firing pin block makes it safer to carry in any of the three modes and since it is double action it can be fired from any of these once the manual safety is released. The trigger pull varies according to which position the hammer is carried in. Pick the one you're comfortable with.

medmo
September 27, 2005, 03:09 AM
If you are looking for a small CCW 40S&W check out the S&W 4040PD it has a lightweight scandium frame, 3.5"bbl and a decocker/safety.

CougarRed
September 27, 2005, 10:06 PM
I got a Kahr MK40. Fine CCW piece.

Major Beer
September 28, 2005, 12:21 AM
regradless of carry gun- you need to practice - want more safety - get an XD for the grip safety.

whatever you get, practice your draw / reholstering the pistol (unloaded of course)

If you enjoyed reading about ".40 S&W concealed carry?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!