Thinking about picking up a Glock 17 or 19

PDA

glockrock
September 25, 2005, 11:09 PM
Have some hesitation about it's effectiveness. I have heard stories about bad guys not going down after being hit with a 9mm. I wonder if +p ammo would make a difference? I doubt cops carry this ammo so results may be different.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking about picking up a Glock 17 or 19" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Justin
September 25, 2005, 11:41 PM
If 9mm were truly as ineffective as some would have you believe, people would have stopped using it decades ago.

Braden
September 25, 2005, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't count on 9 mm ball ammo for self defense, but if you get a good +P hollow point then it will do what you want. Besides, 9 mm mags tend to have more capacity, so if the first 1 or 2 shots don't work you've always got plenty more. ;)

The G17 is one of the guns on my wish list. :)

Graystar
September 26, 2005, 12:30 AM
I have heard stories about bad guys not going down after being hit with a 9mm.No round makes a bad guy go down reliably. 9mm is just fine for personal defense.

If you want to make a big hole reliably then carry Federal EFMJ rounds (expanding points.) They open up to about 1/2"...like shooting a guy with a 45! (Okay...not really...85 ft/lbs less energy...but it's still a pretty darn big hole!)

MaceWindu
September 26, 2005, 12:47 AM
I have heard stories about bad guys not going down after being hit with a 9mm.

Try pulling the trigger several more times, that usually helps. G19 = 15 + 1, G17 = 17 + 1. Oh, yeah "A" zone hits usually do the trick.

MaceWindu

chopinbloc
September 26, 2005, 01:17 AM
i've heard stories about people not going down to a .45 or 7.62 NATO for that matter.

premium JHP should do the job just fine. i carry a .40 but maybe i'm just compensating for my small, uh, well.... anyway, i recommend the 19, you'll carry it alot more than the full size and if you carry model 17 mags for reloads, you're not losing much in capacity.

Andrew Rothman
September 26, 2005, 01:37 AM
I wonder if +p ammo would make a difference? I doubt cops carry this ammo so results may be different.

I think, actually, that most departments do issue premium +P JHP ammo.

Any LEOs here care to let us know?

I carry 9mm and I sleep well at night. That said, a lot of departments, I understand, have moved from 9mm to 10mm or .40.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thinking about picking up a Glock 17 or 19" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!