Revolver Upgrades

PDA

The Dutchman
September 26, 2005, 02:24 AM
Can a modern new production Smith and Wesson revolver be retrofitted with a pinned barrel? I have heard that people whose revolvers are "pinned and recessed" are only the ones made before 1983. Is this true?

If you enjoyed reading about "Revolver Upgrades" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ChristopherG
September 26, 2005, 07:29 AM
Pinning was a technique S&W discontinued, you're right. I doubt you could get it retrofit; but I also doubt--very strongly--that there would be any benefit to doing it if you could. It's not like the crush-fit barrels are falling out of people's guns, or people are finding that they can shoot more accurately than their S&W's. The primary value of pinned barrels (and recessed cylinders) is for collectors, but having a pinned barrel added to a modern gun would not make it a collector's gun.

Peter M. Eick
September 26, 2005, 07:32 AM
Well like all things in life, "it depends".

Current production S&W use a 2 part barrel system swiped from Dan Wesson. No these cannot be pinned.

Recent production S&W's use a "crush fit" barrel indexing system which makes the pinned unnecessary.

If you want pinned, go buy a pinned gun, don't try to retrofit it. Remember the key gain is unless you are good (like Colt) getting the crush fit to work with out squishing the barrel a bit is hard. Using a pinned system allows one to not have to be so precise.

Ps: I am a gunsmith. I am just repeating what was explained to me.

Old Fuff
September 26, 2005, 08:07 AM
The principal negative with S&W's crush fit barrels is that once fitted (and the threads crushed) they shouldn't be removed. Therefore easy changing or replacing barrels usually requires a trip to the factory, and a new barrel (read that "expensive!").

Part of the reason for the new two-piece system is that it is much less costly to replace the tube, and re-use the shroud - which can usually be done, then replacing a whole barrel.

Since most owners don't change or replace barrels, some or all of this may be a moot point. But those who might buy a revolver for a project gun thould keep it in mind.

If you enjoyed reading about "Revolver Upgrades" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!