Loading Single Rounds in AR-15

PDA

TrapperReady
March 28, 2003, 01:23 PM
In another thread, I had mentioned that during the slow-fire stages of a highpower match, I had removed the magazine and loaded a single round into the magazine prior to each shot.

Steve then told me that this was unnecessary.

I just want to make 100% sure that I do this right next time.

Here is my description of the correct procedure. Please let me know if this is correct.

1) Ensure gun is unloaded, with bolt locked to the rear.
2) Insert an empty magazine.
3) Place a round through the ejection port, basically laying it on top of the magazine (not IN the magazine).
4) Hit the bolt release.
5) Aim, fire, repeat steps 3-5 until all rounds have been fired.

Is there any potential for damage to the bolt or chamber, since the round would be chambered faster and harder than if stripping the round out of the magazine?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Loading Single Rounds in AR-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve Smith
March 28, 2003, 01:39 PM
In between 3 and 4 you should tilt the barrel downward or push the round forward with your finger as far as you can so that its in the chamber a ways. This will prevent the bolt closing on the round and the round getting jammed in the action and tweaking your bullet. When you do this, the muzzle should be pointed toward the target before closing the bolt because of the possibility of a slamfire. Go to a match and you will see that this method is not only common, but standard operating procedure.

(BTW, we typically reach through the carry handle to hit the bolt release.)

Is there any potential for damage to the bolt or chamber, since the round would be chambered faster and harder than if stripping the round out of the magazine?

Nope, but again the possibilty for a slamfire does exist. Make sure your rounds are sized properly and this shouldn't happen. Of course, I suppose everyone will have one every once in a while. Maybe 1 in every 5 years (guess) even with god loading practices.

Do plan to change out your extractor, ejector, and firing pin and cam every two years or so, just out of general maintenance, not due to damage.

If you enjoyed reading about "Loading Single Rounds in AR-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!