Old Timey Slang

PDA

SpaceCowboy
September 26, 2005, 08:15 PM
What are some good old time slang for revolvers? Or new slang that anyone has heard. No real reason for this question, just wondering.

If you enjoyed reading about "Old Timey Slang" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shear_stress
September 26, 2005, 09:43 PM
"Hoglegs" and "wheelers" come to mind.

Jim K
September 26, 2005, 09:58 PM
"Iron" is another, as in "Watch out, he's toting iron." "He's walkin' heavy" meant the same thing.

Later, there were terms like "gat", "heater", and "rod", though none were specific to revolvers. "Piece" originated as a police/military term and generally meant an issue weapon.

Jim

EddieCoyle
September 26, 2005, 10:59 PM
My favorite is "Roscoe", as in "You got your Roscoe?"

WheelMan
September 26, 2005, 11:00 PM
It's not a name, but one of my favorite funny revolver phrases is: "I prefer the revolver, it doesn't spray evidense everywhere" :) or some variation of that.

Oh, and I've heard "Rosco" not sure if that's revolver specific.

EddieCoyle
September 26, 2005, 11:07 PM
Oh, and I've heard "Rosco" not sure if that's revolver specific.

Probably not. I think it's from the movie Dead End (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028773/) (1937).

A few months ago, my brother and I had the following exchange (as an Asian gang approached us in an alley in Boston):

HIM: You got your Roscoe?
ME: Yeah. You?
HIM: Two.
ME (To the gang): "HOW'RE YOU GUYS DOING THIS EVENING?"

They kept walking without incident.

Iggy
September 26, 2005, 11:29 PM
Old time Colt's Single Actions were referred to as Plow Handles... You have to have walked behind a horse drawn plow to understand the comparison..

mike45
September 26, 2005, 11:35 PM
My favorite: Heater

DorGunR
September 26, 2005, 11:59 PM
Hog leg.

xv920j
September 27, 2005, 12:08 AM
You mean like "six shooter"?

Gary A
September 27, 2005, 12:10 AM
"wheelgun" and "roundgun" are two that haven't been mentioned yet.

medmo
September 27, 2005, 03:00 AM
pocket revolver - "snubby"

gunfan
September 27, 2005, 04:35 AM
refers to a Zinc-cast revolver made in West Germany and in the USA (after passage of the 1968 Gun Control Act.) These are very inexpensive handguns chambered in .22 Short, .22 Long Rifle and .32 S&W Long. While not very robust they served a purpose... that of offering affordable protection to the working poor.

These handguns sell for about $60.00 today. I saw an example on the Gunbroker that had no reserve, was chambered in the .32 S&W Long cartridge, and was NIB. It will likely sell for between $45.00 and $55.00.

When new, these handguns are good for about 50 rounds. After that, their reliability becomes questionable.

I hope that this clears up the "Roscoe" question.

Scott

gunfan
September 27, 2005, 04:44 AM
homicide call: .22 LR performance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got back from a homicide call.
Two drunks were arguing over the last swallow of liquor in a bottle.
To settle the dispute, the perp pulled out a revolver and shot the victim one time in the front/side of the forehead. The victim died instantly.
The revolver was a true "Saturday Night Special":
A stamped-metal snub-nosed revolver, broken white plastic grips, with half the "bluing" worn off (the bluing looked like black spray paint).
The revolver was stamped "made in USA" but we could not find who the manufacturer was. The trigger guard was bent and mis-shapen.
The cylinder held 8 or 9 rounds, but only five rounds were in it when we found the perp. Only one round had been fired, presumably the killing round.
I did not see the brand of ammo, but it looked like cheap bulk-pack. Lead round nose .22 LR. Solid point.
Perp was drunk as a skunk when we found him. The murder weapon was in his pocket.
Anyway, I guess even a piece of junk can be deadly, even in the hands of a drunk...
Sad thing was, I got the call for this one while I was at the hospital for another homicide. I'll spare you the details, but it looks like someone raped and killed a two year old.
I'm glad I'm going to the feds to prosecute drug lords and bank robbers...Just 15 more days of the cess pool here in Atlanta...
-David

See what I mean?

Scott

Moonclip
September 27, 2005, 04:49 AM
How about horsepistol, for a large old time revolver I've heard it used.

Rock_Steady
September 27, 2005, 07:50 AM
How about one from "Tombstone"? Smokewagon - as in

"Skin that smokewagon and go to work!"

scbair
September 27, 2005, 08:32 AM
"Belly gun" used to refer to snubbies. Some question as to whether that referred to carry under the belt, next to the "belly," or to the preferred range for deployment ("belly to belly").

cortez kid
September 27, 2005, 09:39 AM
You weren't carrying nothing unless you were "heeled"
kid

pwrtool45
September 27, 2005, 12:10 PM
BRT-- "Big Round Thing."

TonyB
September 27, 2005, 12:40 PM
Hog leg is a fav.
six shooter
six gun
with apologies to Art's Grammaw:"horse c**k" :what:

Chuck R.
September 27, 2005, 12:40 PM
"Equalizer"

As in, God created man, but Col Colt made them equal.

Chuck

Dr.Rob
September 27, 2005, 02:02 PM
Smoke Box

Carver (with nods to Stephen King)

Medicine (as in big medicine)

"Fitz" (for a specific kind of custom Colt)

Six For Sure

Cowboy

TheEgg
September 27, 2005, 02:47 PM
Smokepole.

Quantrill
September 27, 2005, 02:59 PM
Sixgun

svtruth
September 27, 2005, 03:37 PM
Gat
Saturday night special
My Mom used to say hot as a three dollar pistol

Working Man
September 27, 2005, 03:45 PM
How about "rod" or "piece" although I am not sure if piece was
just for six guns.

cookekdjr
September 27, 2005, 03:56 PM
"Bubba".
As in, "Honey, don't worry about me going into the projects tonight, I'm bringin' Bubba with me".
-David

BluesBear
September 27, 2005, 06:35 PM
A good cowboy never went anywhere without hs "Shootin' Iron"

And several of Bogart's characters didn't care much for the cheap "Gunsels" that were always packing a rod.

gunfan - The term Roscoe was in use LOOOoooooong before there were Rohm/RG or Clerke Technicorp revolvers.

from The Hard Boiled Slang Dictionary (http://www.classiccrimefiction.com/hardboiled-slang.htm);

BEAN-SHOOTER, CANNON, GAT, HEAT, HEATER, ROD, RODNEY, ROSCOE - gun [usually pistol or revolver)

FunGunner
September 27, 2005, 07:01 PM
wad spitter, pea shooter, pocket popper, come to mind

Ala Dan
September 27, 2005, 07:42 PM
"Pocket Rocket"

but I think they were talking about NAA "mini magnums"~ :D

Onmilo
September 28, 2005, 09:53 AM
Gat
watch fob
blaster
I always liked deuce-deuce for a twenty-two.

oweno
September 28, 2005, 10:08 AM
Years ago I knew an FBI agent who called his carry piece 'my wee-walloper'.... a .357 mag S&W if memory serves...Model 19 maybe?

Thirties
September 29, 2005, 08:50 AM
In the movie The Big Sleep, Bogie called it a Gat, which is short for gattling gun. A couple of you mentioned Gat above.

I've not yet seen "piece" mentioned here. But piece isn't specific to a revolver as Gat or Hog Leg is.

45+
September 29, 2005, 02:20 PM
Sean Connery called it a "Mohaska" while talking with Kevin Costner during their first encounter in "The Untouchables."

Good shootin'....

shooter58
September 29, 2005, 05:06 PM
We used to "Pack heat"

Dr.Rob
September 29, 2005, 06:50 PM
Anyone mention "Burner?"

Or "Strap?" (as in packin' a strap)

some unusual ones:

Biscuit
4 pounda (.40 cal pistol)
shottie (usually for shotgun)

Gear (British)

Pooshka (Russian)

MM
September 29, 2005, 08:22 PM
Also nodding to Stephen King --
"Frenchman's Pecker"
SatKong

BADSBSNF81
September 30, 2005, 08:57 PM
In my younger days living on the border I often heard the phrases " Mexican Insurance", "Well heeled" and "Dressed for a BBQ"

mec
September 30, 2005, 11:02 PM
I believe roscoe wasin use before the Rohm "Roscoe Vest Pocket Model" got here.

"Thumb Buster" was used for single action colts and shotguns with hammers.

BluesBear
September 30, 2005, 11:43 PM
And then there's the trade names that were just popularized slang.

Snake Charmer

Knuckle Duster

Best Friend

Constant Companion

buttrap
October 1, 2005, 06:55 AM
Bull Dog.

Powderman
October 1, 2005, 07:07 AM
Barker.

"Got yer barker?"

If you enjoyed reading about "Old Timey Slang" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!