New 10/22 jamming

PDA

Lennyjoe
September 27, 2005, 11:12 AM
I recently picked up a 10/22 that hasn't been shot prior to me and am having problems with it.

I can't get thru a factory 10 round mag without a round failing to eject. The bolt extracts the spent case fine and feeds a new round in to the chamber but the expended brass gets wedged sideways above the new round that is 3/4 way into the barrel. Ammo is Federal bulk stuff they sell at Wally World.

Any thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "New 10/22 jamming" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
railroader
September 27, 2005, 11:31 AM
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/ Go here and ask the experts. You could also try a vc "exact edge" extractor. I have a bull barrel 10/22 that had extractor problems. The vc extractor fixed it. You can get them here for $10.80 shipped. http://www.hawktecharms.com/ Mark

R.H. Lee
September 27, 2005, 11:40 AM
Maybe the recoil spring is a little stiff? Or the ejector is a little short? Try shooting it some more, maybe another 500 or so rounds and if it still hangs up send it back to Ruger.

ocabj
September 27, 2005, 12:13 PM
While the Volquartsen exact edge extractor is a good upgrade to get for a 10/22, I do suggest you take some time to break in the gun first. Brand new 10/22s out of the box are finnicky like that and using the "high velocity" 22LR ammo helps to break it in.

I ran a brick through mine before it settled in and the extraction problems went away.

ID_shooting
September 27, 2005, 12:21 PM
My suggestion is to try differnt ammo. Cheap ammo gives you cheap performance. If CCI mini mags give you fits, then I would blame the gun. For bulk ammo and 95-98 % reliability through both of our 10/22s we use American Eagle.

pauli
September 27, 2005, 12:24 PM
i'll agree with the previous posts... run a box of minimags through it. if those work, then try some remington and winchester along with the federal, till you know what it likes.

Lennyjoe
September 27, 2005, 12:31 PM
I figured it would require a good break in period but was wondering if anyone else ran into the problems stated and how they fixed it.

Tropical Z
September 27, 2005, 01:52 PM
Ammo is Federal bulk stuff they sell at Wally World
That's your first problem.Bulk Federal is weak from my experience.Get a bulk pack of Remington's golden bullets and try them.If they don't work,get rid of the 10/22 and get a Remington 597 like you should have done in the first place. :D

jobu07
September 27, 2005, 01:54 PM
If it was never fired prior to you, make sure that the bolt and rails and such have all been properly lubed and greased. Little bit of grease can make all the difference in the world :)

Tom C.
September 27, 2005, 02:50 PM
If you have checked the recoil spring for excess tension, the extractor for proper function, the ejector for proper function, and lubed everything properly, check the chamber. If it is rough, with marjinal ammo, it will prevent proper bolt cycling and extraction and cause failures to eject. Polish the chamber, or just get some cheap high speed ammo and shoot a lot.

MTMilitiaman
September 27, 2005, 05:09 PM
That's your first problem.Bulk Federal is weak from my experience.Get a bulk pack of Remington's golden bullets and try them.If they don't work,get rid of the 10/22 and get a Remington 597 like you should have done in the first place.

:barf: :barf: :barf:

Not the 597 I had. I tried to get that thing working for over a year before I traded it for a nice SKS. It was purty and accurate, but I tried 5 or 6 different magazines, including the magnese steel ones Remington came out with, and 8 to 10 different kinds of ammo and couldn't find one that would reliably cycle more than a magazine without inventing some way to jam. Maybe they fixed em since then but IME, the 597 is best used as a paper weight. My 10/22 has been worlds more reliable and just as accurate. And if something goes wrong with it, I know I can probably find replacement parts easily and install them myself, which is more than I could say about the 597. Ick. That rifle almost makes me lose my appetite. Yuck. No thanks. Make mine a 10/22.

pbhome71
September 27, 2005, 05:27 PM
My 10/22 is well used, and it have similar problem with these bulk pack ammo. Every couple magazines, it experience a couple of jam like you described. I have no problem with non-bulk pack ammo.

I think the Win Xpert is a better bulk pack than the Remington, or Federal. However, I still see some issue with it, but with much less frequency.

pauli
September 27, 2005, 06:01 PM
if winchester would plate the darn stuff, i'd buy a lot more of it.

stevesmith7
September 27, 2005, 06:08 PM
Try the Win Dynapoints at Wallyworld. A couple of bucks more but all my .22's work best with them short of expensive stuff.
Steve

R.H. Lee
September 27, 2005, 06:17 PM
My 10/22's work flawlessy with Federal Lightning, about $8/brick at KMart. Until they get dirty, every 250-300 rounds or so, then I have to swab out the chamber, breechface and boltface. I don't use any lube, as it just combined with the carbon fouling and makes a gummy mess.

sumpnz
September 27, 2005, 06:39 PM
I have a Winchester 190, and I cannot recall ever having a single FTE, FTF or anything else (including duds) and all I've shot through it has been the Wally World bulk pack ammo. Of course, it was designed to shoot s, l and lr ammo, so it flings the lr brass a good long ways. That probably helps prevent any FTE's from ever being an issue.

P95Carry
September 27, 2005, 07:05 PM
Lenny - just my own 2c - indeed I do think the Volquartson extractor is worth fitting - it helped me with my 22/45 when having same type of failures - plus I switched to Fed Champion ammo - that is hot enough to run well .... tho not plated.

I have found another problem due to crud and I think the bullet lube on the Champion stuff is main culprit - there is a marked build up to left of chamber/breechface area over time - including on the front portion of the receiver wall. This shows itself by preventing a round going fully into battery and then a light strike and probably FTF. I scrape that off with a small aluminum scraper.

Some break-in too may still be useful.

Rockstar
September 27, 2005, 07:32 PM
When I first acquired a 10-22, mine jammed, until I learned how to disassemble it and properly clean and lube the bolt. It's worked like a charm for several thousand rounds now. I use el-cheapo Wally ammo.

saltydog452
September 30, 2005, 12:06 AM
..as advertised, I'd send it back.

salty.

shooten
September 30, 2005, 12:10 AM
It's the ammo. I have/had the same problem with the same ammo and my almost new 10/22. I've got a few hundred rounds through mine. The problem started with the Federal ammo and stopped when I stopped using it. Now I just use that ammo in my buckmark.

mrrev
September 30, 2005, 02:49 PM
I have to side with the Ammo being your problem. I had shot about 2K through mine before I pruchased a bring of Blazers. They started jamming so I went back to Remi's and have had not problem since. I just don't know what I'm going to do with 350 rounds of Blazer ammo....

R.H. Lee
September 30, 2005, 03:25 PM
Why does everybody have trouble with Federal except me? :confused: If it's the Federal Lightning, I use it in both 10/22's and a Ruger MK II Target without any problems whatsoever.

BamBam-31
September 30, 2005, 05:51 PM
+1 on the VQ extractor. Both my 10/22's have them, and both extract all kinds of ammo w/o problems. Quick, drop-in part for not too much $$. Definitely worth it.

countertop
September 30, 2005, 06:16 PM
+1 on try different ammo.

The bulk federal ammo at wal mart does an awful job with new guns. Gave me fits in a 10/22 and in a new Walther P22. It simply isn't powerful enough, consistently enough, to knock back new springs.

I like the bulk thunderbolt ammo I get from NatchezSS or the bulk Winchester White Box or Winchester X, but I agree - get some decent CCI.

After you put 500 rounds of decent ammo through it, it should be broken in enough to shoot cheap stuff all day and night.

timuchin
September 30, 2005, 09:07 PM
Does that mean new, or bought it from someone who just never fired it but played with it a lot? If it has been dry fired a lot, there might be a small burr in the chamber. A chamber iron is only about $30 from Brownell's. Polishing the chamber might help too, just don't try it in anything larger than a .22.

f4t9r
September 30, 2005, 10:23 PM
Call Ruger they will take care of it !!!!!

454c
October 1, 2005, 04:50 AM
I've shot 4 10/22s in the last month and they all had 2 things in common.

1-the triggers were terrible.

2-none of them liked federal bulk ammo.

R.H. Lee
October 1, 2005, 09:37 AM
Out of the box 10/22 triggers are terrible. But a Volquartsen hammer fixes that. It's a $30 drop in part that lightens up the trigger considerably.

I regularly pop golfballs @ 100yds with my 10/22's.

Ol` Joe
October 1, 2005, 01:49 PM
If you look in your manual it tells you not to use hyper velocity ammo such as CCI Mini Mag in the 10-22. The cases are longer in some of these and I "THINK" that`s the reason, at any rate they say to stay away from it and that may be your problem...............

wingman
October 10, 2005, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE] I don't use any lube, as it just combined with the carbon fouling and makes a gummy mess.Quote:

Cllean well and use FP10 in your 10/22 you will see a difference.

Average Joe
October 10, 2005, 09:51 PM
+4 change ammo, allow for 500 Rd's of high velocity ammo for break in.

Sir Aardvark
October 11, 2005, 01:58 AM
Since you've asked for everybody's opinion, I'll give mine, too:

First, clean the whole rifle really good before you even think about making the effort of sending it back to Ruger; why spend the time, effort, and money to ship your rifle back to the factory when you can probably fix it by spending $6.00 on a can of Gunscrubber, which is something you should be doing anyways?.
I've found the following process to cure many "New Gun Ills": hose everything out really good with a can of Gunscrubber, let it dry, and then hose it out again with Breakfree CLP, and follow all that with some blasts from the air compressor to get rid of the excess oil. Guns from the factory are sometimes filthy with machining gunk and dust from the production floor, and are oftentimes not well lubricated.

Second, don't buy the cheap ammo!. Some guns run fine on the stuff, but others are finicky. Also, most of the cheaper ammo is SO VERY DIRTY. This dirt will accumulate in the oil in the action and make a mess ( some people use REM-DRI dry film lubricant to lube thier 10/.22's ). Regardless, you should shoot different ammo through it anyways to find out what it likes best.

Third, get an Exact-Edge Extractor like other's have suggested, they do work well, and is probably a modification you'll end up doing anyways.

Lastly, you will find that the 10/.22 is one of the funnest, most modifiable firearms available on the market - you can go completely nuts in performing modifications if you wish. Have fun!

Steelcore
October 11, 2005, 03:14 PM
Its the ammo.Bulk pack ammo from all the manufacturers has going steadily downhil for past decade.

R.H. Lee
October 11, 2005, 03:23 PM
and then hose it out again with Breakfree CLP, and follow all that with some blasts from the air compressor to get rid of the excess oil. I haven't had good experience with BF CLP on my 10/22. It combines with the carbon fouling and makes a gooey mess. Even Mobil 1 works better, it seems to hold the fouling in suspension. I may try the FP10. In the meantime, I get the best results running without lube and cleaning with Hoppe's soaked Q-Tips every 300-400 rounds.

What does Ruger recommend re: 10/22 lubing? Some, none????

crt360
October 12, 2005, 12:16 AM
If you look in your manual it tells you not to use hyper velocity ammo such as CCI Mini Mag in the 10-22. The cases are longer in some of these and I "THINK" that`s the reason, at any rate they say to stay away from it and that may be your problem...............

You might be thinking of a different rifle or maybe a manual that came with a target barrel.

Copied from the manual available on the Ruger website:

The RUGER® 10/22® CARBINE and 10/22 RIFLE are chambered for,
and designed to properly function with, only the 22 caliber Long Rifle rimfire
cartridge, standard, high velocity, or hyper-velocity, manufactured to U.S. industry standards.

I have put many CCI Mini-Mags, Stingers (which actually are a little longer), and other hyper-velocity ammo through my standard 10/22 barrel with excellent results. I have not tried any of them through my target barrel.

Ammo that I have had problems with include the Federal American Eagle hollow-points (non-bulk pack) and Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack. The Federal AE was the absolute worst .22 ammo I've ever used - very inconsistent loads and some that wouldn't fire at all.

For good cheap plinking ammo I'd go with CCI Blazer and Federal Classic. I've shot many thousands of rounds of both with few problems. Old Winchester X stuff was really good, too, but I haven't bought any in years.

I've run my 10/22 super dirty and it doesn't seem to be a problem until the firing pin channel gets mucked up enough start deflecting the firing pin (causing failure to fire). Every once in a while you just have to take it apart and give it a good cleaning. It seems Ruger could have easily solved this problem by running a pin or something above the firing pin, but for some reason (maybe a good one that I haven't thought of yet) they didn't.

zemp
November 25, 2005, 09:00 PM
I shoot Remington Golden Bullet bulk ammo out of my 10-22 and it does just fine

deputy tom
November 25, 2005, 09:16 PM
Remmington Golden Bullets + FP-10 = a winning combo in your 10/22.tom.;)

nipprdog
November 25, 2005, 09:27 PM
please refrain from posting incorrect info.:rolleyes:

The manual refers to the 'stinger' ammo, not the Mini-mags, which is a very popular round for 10/22 users.

Ol` Joe
November 25, 2005, 11:42 PM
please refrain from posting incorrect info.:rolleyes:

The manual refers to the 'stinger' ammo, not the Mini-mags, which is a very popular round for 10/22 users.

I stand corrected. I was relying on memory when writing and should have double checked.

rustymaggot
November 26, 2005, 12:33 AM
R.H.LEE, your in slo county too? small world, cool beans. anyway, what i was gonna say is that running the ruger with no lube isnt good. try synthetic motor oil. you can dig thru a used oil container bin and get a empty one thatll have enough oil left in it to last a year or two. or, let me know and i can give you some to play with. i hang out in san luis on thursday nights at linneas coffee shop.
also, alot of my .22lr mags just wont feed unless you lube em up. my ruger mark1 mags need lube on the inside or the wax coatings of the bullets sieze it up and cause failue to feeds. at first i thought i had weak mag springs but thats not the case. wax gums the heck out of some mags.

to the original topic... run the hotter rounds thru it and see if it clears up. id bet it will.

Sactown
November 26, 2005, 12:46 AM
I had the same problem in my 10/22 and my Ruger MkII. I replaced both extractors with Exact Edge units and haven't had any problems through thousands of rounds. I'd recommend an extractor replacement. It's a relatively cheap part.

MDG1976
November 26, 2005, 01:05 AM
Try switching to some hot ammo. My Ruger Mark II pistol will not work with bulk or standard velocity stuff. It's a real charmer with CCI Mini Mags, though.

rustymaggot
November 26, 2005, 01:24 AM
keeping the mags oiled works best for mine. heck, my ruger mark1 even feeds aguila sss subsonics flawlessly. only problem its ever had was magazines getting waxed up and failing to slide up the magazine and into the gun.

greyeyezz
November 26, 2005, 03:50 AM
+1 on the Mini-Mags.

Nematocyst
November 26, 2005, 05:01 AM
With respect, I'd like to add two words: bolt action.

I ordered my CZ 452 today.

No truth implied. Only a hypothesis.

;)

Nem

dfaugh
November 26, 2005, 10:48 AM
Trade the 10/22 in for a Marlin 60...Have literally tried every every brand/type of ammo in my 60, in about 5000 rounds I've had 2 FTFeeds...It'll probably be way more accurate as well....

If you enjoyed reading about "New 10/22 jamming" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!