Pittsburgh, PA ranges

PDA

FallenAngel
September 27, 2005, 11:23 AM
I in Monroeville on the eastern side of Pittsburgh. Now, when I shoot, I go to Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club. The problem is, it is about a 30-45 minute drive (or more) depending on traffic. I was wondering if anyone knew of another place to shoot that is cheap, would allow me to shoot without becoming a member, and bring other people with me who like to shoot but do not shoot anywhere near enough to get a membership? I would not mind becoming a member of a good place that would allow me to bring others and that was pretty cheap.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pittsburgh, PA ranges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
41 Redhawk
September 27, 2005, 01:30 PM
Go here: http://forums.handloads.com/ and post to davemuzz. He is from that side of the 'burgh

James T Thomas
September 27, 2005, 07:59 PM
Please consider the state gamelands no. 203. Northbound on I79 to the exit no. 74, right, to Mingo Rd, less than a mile at the intersection where the "Tanzer" Kennel is. No minimum or maximum shooting requirements.

Free; paid by our taxes. Overhead shelter, shooting benches. Tax purchased target frames. 100 and 50 yd. rifle, and 25 and 10 yd. pistol. Safety controlled by Game Warden most of the time. Mon through Sun; daylight hours; hunting definition. Three round loading limits for rifle and six rounds for handguns. Paper targets only. Portajohn for emergencies. Nirvana, except for the occasional mental defective, but they seem to be everywhere.

"Millvale" club is just down the road if you want "Currier and Ives" atmosphere.

beardxxxd
September 28, 2005, 02:42 PM
if your in monroeville your pretty close to pitciarin / monroeville sportsman
they are close to the home depot at rt30 and rt48
they have a indoor range open to the public

website
http://www.pmsconline.com/

dont say i never helped u out :)

rbmcmjr
September 28, 2005, 09:21 PM
Anthony Arms, just outside the Allegheny County Airport (Lebanon Church Road) is where my friends from Greenville chose to shoot, but we worked not far from there (Bettis Lab). If you come across the Westinghouse bridge to North Versailles and then either the McKeesport-Duquesne or Dravosburg bridges, it wouldn't be too far, maybe twenty minutes. The only other range I've used in the area was all the way over by the 79/Parkway West interchange.

Rick - ex-Mt Lebanon resident

FallenAngel
September 29, 2005, 01:42 AM
if your in monroeville your pretty close to pitciarin / monroeville sportsman
they are close to the home depot at rt30 and rt48
they have a indoor range open to the public

website
http://www.pmsconline.com/

dont say i never helped u out

I stopped by there. Their indoor range is open to the public, but I like outdoor ranges better. Also, you have to be a member to use anything but the indoor pistol range and even if you are a member, you can only bring 3 guests a year.

I am looking more for an outdoor range that is cheap and I can bring as many people as I want to shoot with me.

Vitamin G
September 29, 2005, 01:43 AM
I'm in the same boat (I actually work with FallenAngel and we shoot together regularly).
Speaking for myself, I know I personally am looking for a club that :
1) Allows rifles
2) Allows guests regularly (I introduce ALOT of new people to shooting)
3) Allows me to go alone and practice from the draw, firing while moving, firing rapidly.
4) Allows me to load more than 6 rounds in a wondernine (Rules out the state gamelands) in conjuction with #3. (also rules out the state gamelands)
5) Allows me to shoot at nonstandard distances (State Gamelands has stands at 10yards, 25, 50, and 100. Want to practice drawing at 7? Too bad)
6) Prefer indoor\outdoor.

Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club is the only one that I know of that meets these. I'd be willing to sacrifice some of these if it was a good club, but not #1 or #2.

Thekatar
September 29, 2005, 03:21 PM
Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club charged me $147.00 for an FFL transfer. (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=99789&highlight=thekatar)

If you enjoyed reading about "Pittsburgh, PA ranges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!