Ruger Mark II and 22/45


Kramer Krazy
September 27, 2005, 06:26 PM
Back in '89 or so, my father bought me a Ruger Mark II pistol as a gift. I like shooting the gun, but the grip angle is just all wrong for me, since I mainly shoot 1911-angled autos. I've often wanted to buy a 22/45, but don't really want to have two of these guns, eventhough it wouldn't hurt my feelings. Anyway, I've often wondered if I could just swap the whole trigger housing assembly from a 22/45 onto my regular Mark II (5.5" bull barrel). I have no idea if the barrel/receivers are the same or if this is even possible. So, any of those more wise than I on THR have any ideas? Maybe I'll just break down and buy the 22/45, anyway, but I was thinking a nice S&W 617 revolver would be my next 22 purchase.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Mark II and 22/45" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
September 27, 2005, 06:42 PM
the lower recievers can be swapped, if you can find one though. I dont think Ruger sells just the lower...

head over to lots of good info there

September 27, 2005, 06:54 PM
Found this thread on the subject at as I have that bookmarked too. I have seen some guys selling the frames on Ebay now and again, but the 22/45 new and complete go for about $200-$250 around here when on sale. I say get a whole new one.

Kramer Krazy
September 28, 2005, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. I was suspecting that you can just swap them out, and casual searches over the last year have not shown a single one to be available. I believe that just buying another one would be the cheapest route to go, and I could get a different barrel length to make things more interesting.

I went to Ruger's website and looked at the parts manual for the gun. If I read correctly, it looks like you can get the complete trigger housing assembly for $70 or so, but they have to fit it at the factory. If they won't sell the assembly to you straight-out, I wonder if I could send in the barrel/reciever (minus current lower) and have them "fit" a new 22/45 lower. I'm surprised Ruger hasn't sold a special edition Mark II (or now, Mark III) that comes with both lowers.

August 29, 2007, 02:00 PM
Hi Gunners,

My aging eyeballs prompted me to purchase a set of high visibility replacement sights for my MkII. There's a scarcity of gunsmiths around here, but I figured I could change them out myself. The front sight was a no brainer but the rear looks like I have to just drift the existing sight out and insert the new one. I beat on that rear sight with a brass punch until the punch started to disintegrate. I can't move that rear sight. I am wary of going to bigger and badder punches, etc. Anybody got any advice for me on this subject before I do something stupid?


Al W

August 29, 2007, 07:36 PM
Take the rear sight hold-down screw out of the sight base and drop a few drops of penetrating oil down the hole. The this soak a while and give it another try. The sights can be a bear to get out, make sure the receiver is firmly secured in a well padded vise. You may have to use a little more elbow grease or a bigger hammer. Once you get it broke loose it will come out rather easily.

Here's a link that may help.

Hope this helps.

Bullseye (

August 29, 2007, 08:55 PM
Be sure to handle one before you lay out the money. The 22/45 is the .22LR pistol that is almost, but not completely, unlike the 1911. While the grip angle is agreeable, the balance, trigger, controls, and everything else is not like shooting a 1911 in .22LR.

August 29, 2007, 10:08 PM
Note the date of the last post before it was newbie-bumped. September 28, 2005. The OP has probably long since resolved his 22/45 dilemma.

August 31, 2007, 07:19 PM
And if he posted a new thread he would have been bashed for not using the search function.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Mark II and 22/45" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!