Loadbook has NO 303 brit loads?!

PDA

Third_Rail
September 28, 2005, 12:43 PM
My Nosler Loadbook has absolutely no 303 brit loads. At all.

I'm looking to buy powder, bullets, etc., so don't worry about my using components I already have. 125gr, 174gr, and 180gr loads would be nice.

The only thing I will be using that is set is the Remington brass.

Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Loadbook has NO 303 brit loads?!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ol` Joe
September 28, 2005, 12:52 PM
I don`t believe Nosler makes a .311" bullet, likely why they don`t list loads for one.

I`d try looking at the powder you plan on useing`s web site. I find most powder manufactures have most of their data on their sites, and will send you copies of their data booklets free for the asking. If you don`t see the cartridge you`re loading and powder or bullet listed call or e-mail them. They sometimes will provide data that they don`t have listed, or will help direct you to a place to find it.

Third_Rail
September 28, 2005, 01:11 PM
Ol` Joe - d'oh... That's probably why they don't have any loads listed! :D

jacobtowne
September 28, 2005, 01:36 PM
My Speer Manual has .303 loads for .311 bullets. Speer also make .311 bullets, or did at the time my manual was printed.
JT
Hornady and Sierra also list .311 bullets.

Murphster
September 28, 2005, 01:51 PM
I recommend this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=239458

rbernie
September 28, 2005, 03:00 PM
Most all of the major powder manufacturers have load data available from their web site. It's not as nice and neat as having it all laid out in front of you in a book, but it's a good start.

I have found that the Hodgdon, IMR, and Alliant data does NOT correlate really well with what I get in my Enfields; I suspect that they use standard 24" pressure barrels and SAAMI-spec chambers for their testing. My experience has been that the 303R likes pretty fast powders (H322 to H4895 to Varget) in general. When you couple that with the fact that they all pretty much have long throats, you'll find that the book results (max velocity, say from H4350) doesn't nearly line up with measured reality (max velocity really coming from H4895 or H322).

I would suggest that 38gr H322 or 41gr H4895 behind a Sierra 150gr PH @ 3.000 OAL is a good first load; reduce by 3 grains for 174gr-180gr bullets. Work these loads up as you would any other.

If you enjoyed reading about "Loadbook has NO 303 brit loads?!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!