Movie Pet Peeves

PDA

Urban Werewolf
September 28, 2005, 03:53 PM
Hey all,

I love movies, always have and always wille. I'm a movie nut. But I'm finding as I get into shooting and guns as a reality, certain little things in movies start to drive me crazy. It's strange, I don't seem to mind big glaring things like the Mystical Chow Yun Phat Ammo, I find I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for things like that for some reason. But one little thing in particular drives me nuts now.

Character A: *pointing a gun at Character B* Tell me where the device is!
Character B: *looking cool* Don't think so.
Character A: *racks the slide to "show CB how serious he is"* Tell me... now!
Character B: *utters generic "cool sounding" one liner, probably indicating that CA should attempt carnal relations with himself*

ARRRRGH! :banghead: Apparently in this scenario Character A was a forgetful moron that only recently remembered that he has to chamber a round to actually make a gun dangerous or mearly wanted to show Character B that he "was serious" about wasting ammunition! And much as I love the sound of a slide being racked when I'm starting out at the range (isn't that a great noise?) it's just asinine at that part in the movie.

Anyone else have little Hollyweird things that drive them up the wall?

If you enjoyed reading about "Movie Pet Peeves" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thereisnospoon
September 28, 2005, 04:18 PM
Let's see...

Sean Penn

Rosie O'Donnel

Pierce Brosnan

A.O.A.G.P (Any Other Anti-Gun Personality)

Is that what you meant???

CAS700850
September 28, 2005, 04:22 PM
My wife loves the show NCIS (big Mark Harmon fan). Anyways, every time they show one of the characters leaving the office, they pull the Sig 228 out of the desk, slap a clip in, and holster up. While I can understand taking the gun off in the office, why in God's name would you take the mag out? They never rack the slide, so it's purely a dramatic "Oh, he's serious now" kind of thing." Aggravating.

Oh yeah, I also hate in any movie or television show where someone (mainly bad guy) is using a 1911 and holding someone at gunpoint with the hammer down. Always makes me want to see the victim take it away from teh bad guy and show him how it's really used.

EddieCoyle
September 28, 2005, 04:27 PM
I can't remember which show it was but I once saw a character put his thumb on the back of the slide ON A GLOCK and cock the hammer (you could hear the clicks).

Rexrider
September 28, 2005, 04:30 PM
Some things in life you just have to let roll off your shoulders.

Hollywood is most definitely one of them. Since movies are not real life you can't expect anything shown, spoken, heard, and so on to be real.

If Hollywood did try to make a movie based on reality (our reality, not theirs), it would probably be the most boring unwatchable movie ever made. Gun play included.

I will use your example with Characters A and B. In real life there would not be a device. A and B would be at their respective homes watching the game having a beer in between the kids driving them nuts and the wife nagging about how the trash needs to go out.

That's real life and who wants to watch a movie about that? :neener:

KriegHund
September 28, 2005, 04:32 PM
Racking the slide is prolly the most often spiff. I counted how many times they did it in....hostage i think, or swat, with a shotgun. At the end of the movie it was 13 times.

Sharps Shooter
September 28, 2005, 04:39 PM
Yeah, that's one of my pet movie peeves too - where someone is holding someone else at gunpoint with a 1911 with the hammer down. But have you seen the movie "Stand By Me?" Near the end this kid fires a 1911 in the air to get the attention of the bad guys who are about to take a knife to his friend. Then he tells the bad guys to leave. When they don't comply, he cocks the hammer back on that 1911 he had just fired! :banghead:

Camp David
September 28, 2005, 04:44 PM
You ever notice how cowboys in movies shoot ammunition like a firing range instructor, yet historically cowboys were poor as Church mice? Always amazed me that Hollywood cowboys always seem to have 150+ rounds in their saddlebags! :mad:

M-Rex
September 28, 2005, 04:51 PM
I'm always amused at the number of 'pops' and 'clicks' that are edited in whenever any character pulls out a firearm.

LaVere
September 28, 2005, 05:01 PM
My wife loves the show NCIS (big Mark Harmon fan). Anyways, every time they show one of the characters leaving the office, they pull the Sig 228 out of the desk, slap a clip in, and holster up. While I can understand taking the gun off in the office, why in God's name would you take the mag out? They never rack the slide, so it's purely a dramatic "Oh, he's serious now" kind of thing." Aggravating.

I do let most gun error in movies and TV just go by. but this thing of NCIS gang leaving their gun in an unlocked drawer. While in the office is just nuts. It appears that visitors can't just walk around in there but other personel can ie Dr. Mallard ( Duckie) his intern,and the do all girl in the lab. I feel that the more times one handles a gun during a, say day, the more things that could go bang.
Can you immagine the SHTF if you or someong else in your office at NCIS had a ND with your gun.

Other than that I love the show. And I'm willing to over look anyother errors if there are any.

:rolleyes:

dolanp
September 28, 2005, 05:06 PM
I'm always amused at the number of 'pops' and 'clicks' that are edited in whenever any character pulls out a firearm.

Yeah especially if someone's about to get busted by a swarm of police. All of a sudden fifty car doors open and you hear "CHKCHK rattle rattle click click" fifty times. :rolleyes:

TexasRifleman
September 28, 2005, 05:09 PM
What you have to do is resign yourself to the fact that you can only watch 2 movies as a person that's interested in guns:

"Way of the Gun" and "Last Man Standing"

Way of the Gun in particular has some of the most realistic 1911 handling I've ever seen, including a very nicely executed one handed reload.

Bruce Willis is also very handy with the 1911 in Last Man Standing, and I can't seem to find any gripes with Christopher Walken on the Thompson either.

HEAT is borderline.....

Other than that, I'm with ya, they are pretty silly.

ReadyontheRight
September 28, 2005, 05:16 PM
IIRC, was there not a scene in "Way of the Gun" where two guys are firing rifles down at some other guys from an elevation at a distance and they end up being pinned down when a guy with a pistol fires back? It seems the distance would favor the rifle.

I suppose if we were car buffs we would be bothered by things like squealing tires on dirt roads. :)

TexasRifleman
September 28, 2005, 05:19 PM
Yes, the firefight favored the guy with the rifles. That's why the guys with the pistols ended up dead :D

Bringing the wrong weapon to a firefight isn't bad movie making, that's bad tactical thinking. And it played out like you'd expect.

KriegHund
September 28, 2005, 05:19 PM
Or the "click clack" whenever they so much as move the gun an inch.

beaucoup ammo
September 28, 2005, 05:21 PM
When the Foley operators go to work on post production, the audio track(s) are jacked up to the point of unrealistic cocking, etc. Listen to some fire fights in any recent cop / robber show.

"Band Of Brothers" easily offered the most realistic sounds of "war" however.

But, yea, more often than not the "cocking" of a pistol, "racking" of a shotgun or semi-auto are jacked up way to high. Not realistic..but sounds good and works in context of the escapism fare you pay to see.

In the old westerns I always got a kick out the way a guy would use the arm action of throwing a baseball when he fired the six shooter..maybe help that round get there faster! :O)

Take Care

Len
September 28, 2005, 05:27 PM
I've determined based on any movie I've ever seen, that if you have to get shot, make sure it's in your shoulder!!!!! Shoulder wounds are never fatal!!!! As any cowboy, crime boss or cop in the movies could tell you...get the bad guys to shoot you in the shoulder!!! [Don't worry, your lungs, major arteries and stuff that sits underneath won't be affected!!!]

Ian
September 28, 2005, 06:41 PM
I suppose if we were car buffs we would be bothered by things like squealing tires on dirt roads.

I have squealed tires on a dirt road. :p

Surprisingly, I found most of the gunplay in the recent flick "Sahara" to be pretty good. Fingers were kept off triggers when not shooting (at least by the two protagonists who are ex-special ops), guys check to see if weapons picked up off dead bad guys are loaded, etc. The plot is a bit thin, but it's a fun gun-nut movie.

Mulliga
September 28, 2005, 06:51 PM
including a very nicely executed one handed reload.

That was cool, but tactically unsound, at least from what I've read. Better to stick the gun in the holster and slap in the mag there instead of putting it between your legs and losing the ability to move.

IIRC, was there not a scene in "Way of the Gun" where two guys are firing rifles down at some other guys from an elevation at a distance and they end up being pinned down when a guy with a pistol fires back?

This bothered me too. In the movie's defense, Taye Diggs' character looked like he was aiming pretty high (which is correct, since the drop at that range for a pistol caliber must be insane).

Kharn
September 28, 2005, 07:30 PM
Incoming fire still has right of way, even if you're outside its normal effective range. :eek:

Kharn

Mastrogiacomo
September 28, 2005, 08:11 PM
The one pet peeve that really turns me off is an anti-gun celeb making money off of a gun movie and to add insult to injury, they handle the firearm like a toy.

MachIVshooter
September 28, 2005, 08:42 PM
When the Foley operators go to work on post production, the audio track(s) are jacked up to the point of unrealistic cocking, etc. Listen to some fire fights in any recent cop / robber show.

How true. Recorded gunfire in real life is little pops, usually the voices are more audible.

Anyone else notice that no matter what gun has the hammer being drawn back, the sound used is the three click monologue of a SAA? I have yet to find an auto that does this.

I'm also trying to figure out exactly which bullets will spark on impact with car deck lids and steel stairways. No luck yet.

And yeah, the hammer down SA thing bugs me too.

mustanger98
September 28, 2005, 09:26 PM
:scrutiny: Mastrogiacomo, I think you just nailed it. :scrutiny: :cuss:

torpid
September 28, 2005, 09:39 PM
Oh, man does this thread strike a nerve with me!

The one that drives me absolutely nuts everytime it comes on TV is when all the stormtroopers are firing up as the Falcon is flying out of Mos Eisely, and the one trooper with the long-barreled Zargonian PA-57 is firing red blaster bolts instead of green- I mean, ***?!!

:fire:

meef
September 28, 2005, 09:45 PM
Yeah.... Sparks!

Everything, literally everything, sparks when hit by bullets.

Cars, car tires, car grills, brick buildings, trash cans, sidewalks, trees....whatever.

Seems like you just can't get enough sparks during a decent gunbattle.

:cool:

zahc
September 28, 2005, 10:55 PM
My eye for realistic weapon depiction has increased my appreciation for certain anime shows.

EVIL5LITER
September 28, 2005, 11:29 PM
Not to mention the fact that Faye was hot... for a cartoon.

Agent P
September 28, 2005, 11:51 PM
The one that drives me absolutely nuts everytime it comes on TV is when all the stormtroopers are firing up as the Falcon is flying out of Mos Eisely, and the one trooper with the long-barreled Zargonian PA-57 is firing red blaster bolts instead of green- I mean, ***?!!

Well, Imperial stormtroopers normally use the DL series from BlasTech, so why wouldn't a PA-57 fire differently colored bolts?

Oh, wait, you're being sarcastic. :o

:D

torpid
September 29, 2005, 12:04 AM
Well, Imperial stormtroopers normally use the DL series from BlasTech, so why wouldn't a PA-57 fire differently colored bolts?

Oh, wait, you're being sarcastic. :o

But of course!

(otherwise I would have correctly called them sandtroopers)

:)

Agent P
September 29, 2005, 12:15 AM
Hmm. I Googled "sandtroopers" and only found some pics of grody stormtroopers. They should have cool sand camouflage armor if they're going to be called sandtroopers! And to continue in that vein, would there be marshtroopers? How about meadowtroopers? Where does the madness end?!?

mustanger98
September 29, 2005, 12:19 AM
Where does the madness end?!?

It don't. It just keeps getting more and more inane.

Gillster
September 29, 2005, 12:19 AM
I caught about 5 minutes of some dumba$$ Mario Van Peeples movie the other night (all I could stomach). There was a guy behind a sniper rifle with about a yard of night scope on it, as he got ready to fire, they zero'd in on the trigger squeeze and it was a Glock trigger, complete with mag release in the shot. I was still laughing as I flipped channels.

Agent P
September 29, 2005, 12:21 AM
It don't. It just keeps getting more and more inane.

Oh, good. I was just checking.

fiVe
September 29, 2005, 12:38 AM
Rambo 3. Richard Crenna is hanging from the ceiling by his wrists. The Russians are interrogating/torturing him--demanding information about the "missiles being given to the Afgan rebels". Finally the chief interrogator says, "You have tried my patience long enough!" He pulls his pistol, racks the slide, and presses the pistol--with the slide locked back OUT of battery and the barrel exposed--into Crenna's neck. He growls, "I won't ask you again...." (or something like that). It all just looked so cheesy and stupid..... :banghead:

On the other hand, I thought the gun fights in Open Range were fairly realistic.

M-Rex
September 29, 2005, 12:43 AM
Oh, man does this thread strike a nerve with me!

Actually, those were Blastech T-21 Light Repeating Blasters. They normally have a different power output setting than the standard Blastech E-11's, so they 'show' on a different section of the visible light spectrum.

They're nice blasters for small unit support. However, they are prone to heat build-up...and they're power hogs.

SRFL
September 29, 2005, 12:56 AM
Mastrogiacomo mentioned pet peeve #1 in my book....anti-gunner entertainment personalities profiting by using guns in their movies.

Others mentioned by members: LOUD gun noises whenever a gun is moved even an inch and the racking of slides "for effect".

A few others:
- round after round being discharged without a magazine exchange and
- characters flying through the air, firing their guns, and getting solid hits (especially common in Chow Yun Fat movies....the funniest had to be "Olivera" in Resident Evil: Apocalypse firing his two Desert Eagles while doing repelling off a helicopter at night getting head shot hits....okie dokie).

GregGry
September 29, 2005, 01:13 AM
I always find it funny when someone fires a round, and they do a slow motion shot of it. Its funny because sometimes the brass can be seen with the bullet, flying through the air :what: :barf:

Urban Werewolf
September 29, 2005, 05:19 PM
I can certainly agree with Mastrogiacamo and SRFL on the anti actors getting rich off of action movies. I'll find it laughable when one of them is somehow mugged and suddenly decides that they should go just as armed as all their characters.

Plenty of other good ones here. I almost forgot another one and haven't seen it mentioned that bugs the hell out of me and a few other people I've talked to. Holding the gun sideways because it "looks cool." No, it looks incredibly stupid. Think I'll hold my gun the right way and just shoot the "G" when his shot goes in the wrong direction or his gun jams. Jackass.

Oh and yes, Cowboy Bebop ROCKS! Great gunplay in general, and I don't care how animated she is, Faye is hot. :D And the overarching story has one of the best, boldest endings of anything out there, in my personal humble opinion.

Dirty Bob
September 29, 2005, 05:38 PM
Bottomless mags in SMGs, rifles, etc. (most Hollyweird flicks) :fire:

Removing and attaching a scope w/o having to re-zero (Private Ryan)

Firing such long "bursts" out of an MG that you'd melt the barrel (Private Ryan)

Some films do a good job, in large part due to the hard work of tech advisors, directors and others who are striving to get the details right. Dale Dye, Chris McQuarrie and a few others come to mind. Three Kings, for example, has a great discussion on the consequences of being shot.

Regards,
Bob

Moondoggie
September 29, 2005, 06:20 PM
I just watched "Sasquatch" with Lance Henrickeson (sp?) last Saturday.

There's a scene near the end where Lance is being pursued through the forest by the "Creature". Lance has acquired another guy's Rem 700 SS with at least a 24X scope.

In one scene Lance is racking the bolt (for the umpteenth round without reloading, or having access to additional ammo) on a right handed rifle. Next camera shot he's definately working the bolt on a left handed rifle. I've got a DVR, so I can pause/rewind whatever I'm watching so I checked it out "frame by frame". What's the point of obtaining an identical left handed rifle/scope to put in his hands for about 2 seconds of film, especially when the segment wasn't particularly important to the plot???

Geesh!

SalukiFan
September 29, 2005, 06:42 PM
Ooh, my favorite are Lifetime movies. When those women snap, they can make guns do amazing things!

I was watching one a couple months ago where the woman shot the engine block of a car racing towards her to run her over. Apparently, her one shot hit the 'splode button because the car was annihilated in a huge fireball. :what:

Urban Werewolf
September 29, 2005, 06:44 PM
Ah, yes, the "everything that is remotely flammable/explosive will explode when shot once" thing. That's gets annoying too. Don't get me wrong, I can still enjoy some regular action movies when that happens, but sometimes it's just too cheesy.

Kjervin
September 29, 2005, 06:47 PM
Is it possible that they just reversed the frame. They do all kinds of stuff like that in editing if they think it looks better artistically. In the 13th Warrior, there is a scene where rain is running upwards on Antonio Banderis's face.

I saw "Liberty Stands Still" today, so my pet peeves are these:

1)packaging/ commercials that lead one to expect one kind of movie when in fact it as another (LSS as an action movie instead of a political anti gun ad, or runaway jury as a thriller instead of a political gun ad) which I am sure happens because a lot of people would not pay money to see the movie if they knew what is really about. (makes me want to go out and buy another gun just for spite).

2)That Wesley Snipes is ever allowed to use a gun in a movie after that stinker (LSS). Danny Glover is another actor who should be be banned from using guns in movies, because he's a big stinkin' hypocrite.

Kj

Fortunately, I also rented Alone in the Dark to get the taste out of my mouth. If that doesn't work, I will put in my copy of Quigley Down Under. That should do the trick. :cool:

Justin
September 29, 2005, 06:57 PM
DO NOT WATCH ALONE IN THE DARK!

Uwe Boll (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uwe_Boll) is to film what colorectal cancer is to good health.

torpid
September 29, 2005, 07:27 PM
Actually, those were Blastech T-21 Light Repeating Blasters. They normally have a different power output setting than the standard Blastech E-11's, so they 'show' on a different section of the visible light spectrum.

They're nice blasters for small unit support. However, they are prone to heat build-up...and they're power hogs.

Thanks, I needed that!

Kjervin
September 29, 2005, 07:35 PM
He did house of the dead? That was AWEFUL!!

KJ

DevLcL
September 29, 2005, 08:03 PM

I believe there is probably a pointless "click" whenever a gun is pulled out (at least once) in just about every movie ever made.

I've been studying to become a director at various schools while I work. I own some very nifty video equip and I've filmed alot of shooting. :D Most of it is pointless range-time. I think I want to start filming it and somehow adding a plot (safety first)... maybe incorporate hunting or something.

At any rate I'll try and post some stuff from time to time...without the "hammer down, give me the goods now" nonsense.

-Dev

DJJ
September 29, 2005, 09:15 PM

I believe there is probably a pointless "click" whenever a gun is pulled out (at least once) in just about every movie ever made.
Don't forget the "shiiiiing!" whenever any bladed weapon is handled.

I've never even gotten that far. I always go into a ranting harangue at the scene where Obi-Wan and Luke are up on the plateau looking down into the valley at Mos Eisley. Who would build a spaceport in a valley??! Why not build it UP ON THE PLATEAU?? :banghead:

3rdpig
September 29, 2005, 10:46 PM
Besides all the dumb gun stuff that's been mentioned, a couple of things that bother me are the constantly squealing tires, even on sand or dirt, and the weird fact that all WWII Army Jeeps in Hollywood have brakes that squeel.

Oh, anyone remember Starsky and Hutch? The original TV show? They'd show an interior view of the car and it had an auto transmission with the shifter on the steering column, then the car would take off from a stop light and you'd get the 4 speed sound effects.

Oh, and there's a commercial for some financial services where some guy is trying to listen to what's being said at the table next to him, But a motorcycle pulls up, one that obviously has a 4 cyl jap motocycle engine in it, but the sound it's making is 100% Harley Davidson.

MountainPeak
September 29, 2005, 10:55 PM
With out a doubt, the way producers edit Charlize Theron's movies. I have it on good authority, she always slips in a "I love you MountainPeak", but it always ends up on the cutting room floor! Life ain't fair!!!! :)

Rob1035
September 30, 2005, 12:05 AM
wesley snipes in just about anything....

saspic
October 1, 2005, 03:49 AM
DJJ: I've never even gotten that far. I always go into a ranting harangue at the scene where Obi-Wan and Luke are up on the plateau looking down into the valley at Mos Eisley. Who would build a spaceport in a valley??! Why not build it UP ON THE PLATEAU??
Because water flows downhill? Lots of modern cities are on rivers since, way back when the first people thought, "This would be a good place for a village," they needed drinking water.
As far as those knifes constantly "shiiiing"ing in the air, Roger Ebert has an entry about that in his movie glossary with "special" laws that only happen in films. http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=GLOSSARY
Here's a couple more: Magic Bullets
If someone is firing a machine gun at someone's upper body, any bullets which do not hit them will make a ninety-degree turn in the plane of their body and kick up dust at their feet. BRANNON MOORE Seattle, WA
Who got shot?
When two characters struggle for a gun, one shot will go off. Then nobody moves for a few seconds, and we can't tell which one got shot. Finally, one character dramatically drops dead.

TIM ZABLOCKI, HACKETTSTOWN, N.J.

saspic
October 1, 2005, 04:11 AM
Hey, I found it!
Ca-Chuck! Rule
All movie guns will need to be "cocked" before firing, and the sound made is always the "ca-chuck" sound made by a pump shotgun. Bad guys will never cock their guns until the last instant before firing at the good guys, and the ca-chuck sound will always alert the good guys in time for them to duck. In some movies, such as "Runaway," this rule even applies to revolvers. Tom Helderman, Grand Rapids, Mich. (Published: 4/4/04)

iapetus
October 1, 2005, 07:02 AM
Unsafe gun-handling by characters who should know better.

In one of the recent James Bond films, Bond (Pierce Brosnan) goes into the back room of a casino to have a meeting with some mafia-type (Robbie Coltrane).

Coltrane is surrounded by concubines. Bond gestures for them to leave by waving his gun at them (with his finger on the trigger).

Effective/uneffective cover:
A car door provides inpenetrable protection against gun-fire.
Yet a few shots fired into the rear of a car will cause it to explode.

And of course, its impossible to hit someone running up a ladder or along a metal walkway. (Presumably whatever they coat the metal with to cause all the sparks also attracts bullets).

And since several people brought up Starwars:
High-tech sci-fi blaster weapons that have inferior range, power and accuracy to present-day firearms.

Then there's the Startrek modification to gun safety: "Never point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy. Unless they are annoying you, and its set to stun".

Lo.Com.Denom
October 1, 2005, 07:45 AM
But that's what concubines are for ! If you accidentally shoot one, you've at least got some spare! :D

For me, if a movie starts out with realistic gun-usage, then degenerates towards the end - that's worse. Why, at the end of "Way Of The Gun" does matey start hosing down the walls with automatic fire? And, IIRC, with one of those bottomless-magazines? Doesn't he want all that ammo?

dfaugh
October 1, 2005, 11:08 AM
Jsut watched it again- overall a VERY good movie---

Pluses---for the most part they got the gun stuff pretty much right---Guns sound the way they should-- m-16s sound like M-16s, AKs sound like AKs---suppressed pistols/rifles make the right sounds (meaning you can hear the actions working, not just a pfffft like they usually use)...

Minuses--all come during the big firefight at the end---While Bruce Willis and the other Seals have all been armed with Berrettas (as should be)throughout the movie, at one point he clearly draws a Glock...Two of the guys have scoped M16s thoughout the movie, but all of a sudden, one has a scoped M-14(M24)...And the squad fires AT LEAST 3000 rounds in the firefight, but we never see any extra magazines, being carried (we'll forgive the fact that they never show anyone reloading, we'll assumethat's all done off-camera). The SAW gunner alone probably fires several hundred rounds.....

Oh well,if you don't sweat the details, its a very good movie, highly recommended

Balog
October 1, 2005, 11:24 AM
Couple points about Private Ryan.

The issued scopes were supposed to retain zero after removal and reinstallation. Dunno how well they worked, but that was the theory.

You might be surprised how much it takes to melt a barrel. As I recall it didn't show any egregiously long bursts, but it's been awhile since I've seen it.

ZenMasterJG
October 1, 2005, 11:44 AM
my favorite is when you see them rack the slide when they're about to get into a firefight or somthing, and then 45 seconds later thumb the hammer back to add emphasis, as in the original example.
:cuss:

mbs357
October 1, 2005, 12:02 PM
What erks me the most is when they research so many other things so heavily, but forget about the guns.
They do this in games too.

mordrid52
October 1, 2005, 02:10 PM
For me, if a movie starts out with realistic gun-usage, then degenerates towards the end - that's worse. Why, at the end of "Way Of The Gun" does matey start hosing down the walls with automatic fire? And, IIRC, with one of those bottomless-magazines? Doesn't he want all that ammo?

If you know your opponent is on the other side of a wall but you don't know exactly where he is, you're not just going to fire a couple of shots and hope you get lucky. While they do seem to go over the round count a little, it's not that bad. In the first burst, he fires off what sounds like ~20 rounds to me, then there is an pause of several seconds while they show the hallway before he resumes firing. The next burst does sound like it goes over a little, maybe ~30 rounds. But with all of the editing and switching back and forth between the room and the hall, they are probably duplicating shots. He then changes the mag and fires of another ~30 shots (with lots more cutting back and forth) before he runs dry.

As for the rifle vs pistol scene, I thought that was very well done. Jeffers and Oberks are both highly trained and would have no problem returning fire at ~100 yards. They are even holding their pistols at the high angle needed to get that kind of range.

PaladinVC
October 1, 2005, 03:45 PM
I like when someone swings out the cylinder on their double-action revolver, loads it, then spins it. My revolvers never make that ratchetting sound when I spin the cylinder before closing it.

beaucoup ammo
October 1, 2005, 05:26 PM
I received 8 tickets to an advance screening next Wednesday of "Domino...I Am A Bounty Hunter."

Mickey Rourke, Lucy Liu, Christopher Walken, etc...with the shows on the tube, this was bound to come down the pike.

Poster on the tickets has weapons aplenty!! Who knows..but it's free.

The wife and I can't go. If you live in SA and want to attend (281 & 1604) let me know...I'll get 'em to you.

Take Care

Phyphor
October 1, 2005, 07:42 PM
when they just flick the damned revolver closed! Can we say "bent crane?" I knew we could! :cuss: :cuss:

Working Man
October 1, 2005, 08:14 PM
The thing that really bothered me in "Way Of The Gun" was the 50 foot shot
by the father at the end with the 2" snubby. :what:

wesley snipes in just about anything....

I whole-heartedly agree. :evil:

Bill2k1
October 1, 2005, 08:50 PM
my biggest pet peeve is on the show Wildest police chases on spike tv. I hate the narrator, but I really hate how you can hear sirens wail and tires screech when they are showing video from a helicopter! That and the editing they do to make it appear as if the police always catch the bad guy. There is a video of a BMW chase where the kids get away but the show makes it appear as though they are caught.

Ky Larry
October 2, 2005, 08:46 AM
When movie actors get shot, they either die instantly or the suffer in silence until they get to make their final speech. They don't yell or scream in pain or flop around. Also, how did they manage to shoot a 6-gun while galloping a horse at full speed while pointing the gun to the rear and hit 2 Indians with every shot?

beaucoup ammo
October 2, 2005, 09:24 AM
It was the extra "push" they gave the shooter..like throwing a baseball! Gives you that extra speed and accuracy!

Bill..TV underestimates the intelligence of their viewers..a sad commentary on how "they" view "us."

Take Care

Dirty Bob
October 2, 2005, 02:52 PM
Balog noted:
Couple points about Private Ryan.

The issued scopes were supposed to retain zero after removal and reinstallation. Dunno how well they worked, but that was the theory.

You might be surprised how much it takes to melt a barrel. As I recall it didn't show any egregiously long bursts, but it's been awhile since I've seen it.
I didn't know about the scopes, but would a sniper carry more than one and switch back and forth during a mission? If anything, I would have expected one to be carefully stored as a spare, and the other one left on the gun once a zero had been verified. Confused...

Re: the MG: I shouldn't have said "melt" What I meant was that the German gunners (was that an MG-42?) on D-Day were firing hellaciously long bursts at the landing craft. My commanding officer on the FFG I served on once did something similar -- playing Rambo on the bridge wing with an M-60, with belts linked together -- and the gunner's mates had to retire the barrel when he was done. :banghead:

Benicio's "mad minute" with the Galil in "Way of the Gun" seemed out of character, considering that "Parker" and "Longbaugh" had been competent with guns up to that point. I do love the scene where the bagman's foot is exposed at the corner, so they shoot the foot!

All my best,
Dirty Bob

grimjaw
October 2, 2005, 04:20 PM
The guns with unlimited ammo always trip me out. I'd love to have one of those.

A situation close to the original post happens in one of my favorite movies, though.

In John Carpenter's 1982 remake of "The Thing", a revolver of some type gets passed back and forth between the characters over the course of the film. Kurt Russel's character, MacReady, ends up with it. In scene involving a confrontation with several of the characters, Keith David's character, Childs, says, "He (referring to MacReady) ain't tying me up."

"Then I'll have to kill you Childs," says MacReady.

Childs responds, "Then kill me."

MacReady first points the gun at Childs at very close range and says, "I mean it." When Childs doesn't immediately back down, MacReady cocks the hammer on the revolver. After a few seconds, Childs swallows meaningfully and says, "I guess you do."

Immediately following this, Richard Masur's character, Clark, tries to rush MacReady from a different angle with a scalpel, and gets the shot to the forehead. Another lesson on why you shouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight.

I've never been able to tell what kind of revolver it is. Something like a S&W or a Colt, .357 or up. There's also a G3 type rifle wielded by a strung out Norwegian at the first of the film.

jmm

wolf_from_wv
October 2, 2005, 11:46 PM
Shredders... Police and DEA use them to blow locks. They explode on impact and kill everything in a ten foot radius...

=================

That doesn't sound to me like something I would want to shoot out of a shotgun... What happens if, "Oops, someone stop that before it rolls off the table..."? Maybe everyone else used them, and that is why he was "the last boyscout"... :rolleyes:

RRTX
October 3, 2005, 01:17 AM
Minuses--all come during the big firefight at the end---While Bruce Willis and the other Seals have all been armed with Berrettas (as should be)throughout the movie, at one point he clearly draws a Glock...Two of the guys have scoped M16s thoughout the movie, but all of a sudden, one has a scoped M-14(M24)...And the squad fires AT LEAST 3000 rounds in the firefight, but we never see any extra magazines, being carried (we'll forgive the fact that they never show anyone reloading, we'll assumethat's all done off-camera). The SAW gunner alone probably fires several hundred rounds.....

That wasn't a glock, it was the HK Mk23/SOCOM that he had throughout the movie, a couple of the other guys had them too. Same goes for the guy with the M-14, he had it the entire time..remember he shoots the guy with the tracking device with it earlier in the movie. One more major mistake is that at least one of them has their aimpoint mounted backwards through part of the movie lol.

zastros
October 3, 2005, 03:12 AM
"In the old westerns I always got a kick out the way a guy would use the arm action of throwing a baseball when he fired the six shooter..maybe help that round get there faster! :O)"

I read in a film history that William S. Hart, who had been a real cowboy, would fire like that. All the other western actors who watched him figured, 'if that's the way they did it back then, that's the way we'll do it.' And so they did.

At least that's the story.
zastros

dolanp
October 3, 2005, 08:54 AM
Another one I just noticed while watching TV last night. What is up with these 'stealthy snipers' who want to assassinate somebody... then use a big red laser on their rifle?? I mean sheesh. Lasers are for fast target aquisition. Is it so hard to look down the scope and actually use the reticle? Did we not think that we might be giving our intentions away by putting a red dot on somebody right before we try and kill them?

Heh, it's just so dumb. Unless I'm missing something 'tactical' about it. :cool:

MuzzleBlast
October 3, 2005, 01:02 PM
Horses are very quiet animals. They only whinny when they are trying to locate each other, and nicker when they are greeting. If they really did make as much noise as they do in the movies, they would be very annoying to be around.

mustanger98
October 3, 2005, 04:21 PM
MuzzleBlast:
Horses are very quiet animals. They only whinny when they are trying to locate each other, and nicker when they are greeting. If they really did make as much noise as they do in the movies, they would be very annoying to be around.

I understand horses will whinny when other horses, unknown/unidentified to them, are present. I recall in a Charles M. Russell painting there are these mountain men hiding down over a cliff trying to keep their horses from whinnying and giving them away. Or, and I know this being a horse guy, they'll whinny when they'd rather be in another pasture/lot with other horses they know are there. Some real cowboys on here can probably tell you about the reality of weaning time on a working horse/cow ranch too. That said, movies get editted to the point of being real annoying animalwise.

I read in a film history that William S. Hart, who had been a real cowboy, would fire like that. All the other western actors who watched him figured, 'if that's the way they did it back then, that's the way we'll do it.' And so they did.

At least that's the story.
zastros

I haven't read that so I don't know, but I've done a little instinctive shooting and that ain't how it's done.

Sharps Shooter
October 3, 2005, 05:33 PM
Phyphor - I actually saw a young punk at a gun show repeatedly "fliking" a brand new S&W snubby closed and the dealer didn't say a word to him. :fire: I suppose I should have said something, but didn't have the nerve. I just made a mental note to not purchase anything at that dealers booth.
Sorry - I guess that was kind of off-topic.

Yardstick
October 3, 2005, 06:03 PM
I've got one to add besides all the bottomless mags, poor/unsafe gun handling and bullets given that extra flick of the wrist in the old westerns.

Motorcycle engine noises and the sound of shifting gears. Terminator 2 is the goofiest example that I can think of off the top of my head -and happens to have both problems. The kid is riding a Honda XR200 or maybe 250, 4-stroke and the sound is clearly that of a 2-stroke. When the bad guy is chasing him with the semi the kid shifts that bike through about 20 gears! :what:

scout26
October 3, 2005, 06:24 PM
My favorite is Carry Fisher's "adjustable rate of fire" M16 in the Blues Brothers. Seems the longer you mash the trigger the faster the rate of fire.

Bang

Bang

Bang

Bang
Bang
Bang
Bangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbang.

Still my all time favorite movie.

Plus the unlimited ammo supply that comes with all movie guns. :D

ckyllo
October 4, 2005, 11:11 AM
"In the old westerns I always got a kick out the way a guy would use the arm action of throwing a baseball when he fired the six shooter..maybe help that round get there faster! :O)"

at one time with the precussion cap revolvers it was common to point the gun up to cock it. sometimes the spent caps would fall off during cocking and could jam in action. by pointing the pistol up the loose cap would fall clear and keep the gun working. when the precussion cap era passed so did throwing a baseball to shoot era. I remember reading about a us marshall that was in a gun fight with a bad guy but got the bad guy because he knew when he was about to shoot from him pointing the gun up.

Turtle Club
October 4, 2005, 11:20 PM
I love that in the movie "Walking Tall" (the second on with "The Rock"). The scene where all the old Sheriff Depuities shoot up the Sheriff's Office. Their is a woman there at the time whom was fireing a gun. It looks like its a GLOCK. She fires it and empties the magazine.

1.)The slide does not stay back
2.)The trigger clicks

I dont know but my glock, you can only dry fire once then you can pull the trigger again because its locked back.

CannonFodder
October 4, 2005, 11:46 PM
I can't remember which show it was but I once saw a character put his thumb on the back of the slide ON A GLOCK and cock the hammer (you could hear the clicks).
For about 5 seasons of The X Files, that was Fox Mulder's patented "I am REALLY MAD at you and I'm trying to intimidate you" move.

bigun15
October 5, 2005, 12:01 AM
I'm going for the movie "Phone Booth". For those who didn't see it, a guy is stuck in a phone booth with a sniper watching him through the scope with a bolt action rifle. Every once ina while, he will open/close the bolt. This makes the "dramatic noise that everyone knows", but the problem is that he did it about five times. I said to the guys I was watching with,"He wasted half of the magazine just making noises."

mustanger98
October 5, 2005, 12:09 AM
Every once ina while, he will open/close the bolt. This makes the "dramatic noise that everyone knows", but the problem is that he did it about five times. I said to the guys I was watching with,"He wasted half of the magazine just making noises."

:scrutiny: Sounds pretty dumb. Did they splice the same clip in over and over or was it different each time? Maybe he couldn't remember whether or not he'd loaded his rifle? :p

Moparmike
October 5, 2005, 01:39 AM
When the bad guy is chasing him with the semi the kid shifts that bike through about 20 gears! That is the sound from the Kenworth that the T1000 is driving. Cab-overs are 2-strokes, dontchyaknow... ;)

Well, all the good peeves are taken, but I love the scene in Hot Shots Part Deux where he is buried chest-deep in brass, and throws a handfull of it to kill some bad guys when that 10,000rd belt finally ends. :D

afasano
October 5, 2005, 06:54 PM
In the movie "The Big Red One" in the free the death camp scene a GI fires his M1 Garand into an oven 18 times before the clip ejects.

In "Phone Booth" do people in the big city answer a pay phone when they hear it ring? That must be for me.

Luchtaine
October 5, 2005, 07:46 PM
well its not really a peeve because it was pretty intentional least I think. But army of darkness where Ash is shooting the witch or watever toward the beggining and has his double barreled shot gun which he fires about 4 times with the slide racking noise.

I'm pretty sure its a joke on the endless magazines in movies.

Turtle Club
October 5, 2005, 09:56 PM
I'm going for the movie "Phone Booth". For those who didn't see it, a guy is stuck in a phone booth with a sniper watching him through the scope with a bolt action rifle. Every once ina while, he will open/close the bolt. This makes the "dramatic noise that everyone knows", but the problem is that he did it about five times. I said to the guys I was watching with,"He wasted half of the magazine just making noises."

How about when the Pimp gets shot. That is basicly why phone booth guy is stuck in the phone booth because the Police think he shot the Pimp, right? But as you should recall...the Pimp got shot in the back from the sniper guy in the building. Well when the Parametics take the Pimp away they could clearly see that the entrance wound was in his back, not his front. As logic would dictate that when the witnesses said they saw phone booth guy shoot the Pimp in the chest...well DUH! I refused to watch any further in that unaccurate movie.

If you enjoyed reading about "Movie Pet Peeves" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!