Hornady 155 TAP FPD in a Garand?

PDA

DMK
September 28, 2005, 09:23 PM
Is it safe to shoot Hornady 155gr TAP FPD in my Garand without it wrapping the oprod into a pretzel?

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?page=ballistics/popup&product_sku=80928

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=149

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady 155 TAP FPD in a Garand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NMshooter
September 28, 2005, 09:45 PM
Good choice of ammo!

It is OK for use in the M1A/M-14, should be OK for you, but do not take my word for it.

Sam
September 28, 2005, 10:37 PM
DMK,
The M1 will handle it just fine.
What to look out for in ammo for an M1
approx 150 grain bullets that have a vel over 2850 fps
Approx 173 grain bullets with a Vel over 2650
I will write off any factory ammo with 180gr or heavier bullets although I know a lot of folks that use them.
Handloads with powders slower than 4320

Of course you can always pick up a vented gas plug. That will permit you to adjust the volume/pressure of the gas to a level you and the rifle will both like. Probably the most common one on the market is the one sold by Fulton Armory. Runs about $40. With that you can set up to run any load you can get into an 06. I made my own from an old "solid"gas plug.

Sam

Bartholomew Roberts
September 28, 2005, 10:44 PM
As an aside, those who still have the old-fashioned .30-06 Garands can get ballistic performance similar to the 155gr TAP from the Federal 150gr Ballistic Tip load.

Guy B. Meredith
September 29, 2005, 03:03 AM
How does the Fulton Armory vented gas plug differ from the Schuster adjustable plug?

http://www.adcofirearms.com/gasnuts.cfm

Sam
September 29, 2005, 01:26 PM
Actually I think the Schustr and Fulton are identical. Not going to bet on it though.
I like mine a bit better than either. I can adjust for volume and pressure.

Sam

USSR
September 29, 2005, 03:59 PM
DMK,

I wouldn't, without knowing what powder Hornady uses for the load. It's not only the weight of the bullet, but the burn rate of the powder used that determines the port pressure created. Excessive port pressure is what bends op rods. Give Hornady a call and ask them.

Don

ziadel
September 29, 2005, 06:10 PM
As an aside, those who still have the old-fashioned .30-06 Garands can get ballistic performance similar to the 155gr TAP from the Federal 150gr Ballistic Tip load.

I was told not to do this because of the soft primers that Federal uses...

was it BS?

DMK
September 29, 2005, 07:28 PM
Thanks guys.

Guy B. Meredith
September 29, 2005, 07:38 PM
Do the Schuster and Fulton plugs allow use of heavy loads, i.e., do they vent? The descriptions say they vent, but the Schuster write up is unclear as to which it is talking about and whether the M1 version is vented. Further it describes changing the volume, but does not speak to venting.

DO these two work for heavy loads?

Bartholomew Roberts
September 29, 2005, 08:18 PM
I was told not to do this because of the soft primers that Federal uses...

I haven't had any problems with it yet; but I've only fired 20rds of it because at $23/box of 20 it isn't very affordable for plinking.

Sam
September 29, 2005, 08:43 PM
Again Don't know for sure on the Schuster, i think it is the same as the Fulto but not sure.
Contact schuster and ask.
I know that Fulton vents.
I have used the Sierra 190 Matchking over 59.0 grains of H4350 in MY '06 M1 2800 fps. without making pretzels. THAT IS SAFE IN MY RIFLE. IF YOU USE IT YOU'RE NUTS.
Disclaimer over now. A vented plug is necessary to use slow powders, one that allows varying volume is helpful, if it does both it is ideal. It is no trick to make one of your own by drilling out a lat model plug, threading a plug and drilling a vent. Make several plugs with different vents for different loads

Sam

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady 155 TAP FPD in a Garand?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!