CBS bogus reporting of "Cop Killer"

PDA

Texshooter
September 28, 2005, 10:52 PM
bullets.

If anyone remembers this, from the 80's I believe, were the bogus reports based on a round called the

KTK

KTM

KTW

???

Anyone? I believe the initials were those of the inventors.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "CBS bogus reporting of "Cop Killer"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TonkinTwentyMil
September 28, 2005, 11:59 PM
It was KTW.

They manufactured ammo with a steel bullet, hardened, I believe, with tungsten.

Because any steel bullet is hard on pistol barrels, KTW was coated with a teflon substance to protect the barrel.

Certain "Ballistic Illiterates" in the media decried this ammunition because they incorrectly believed the teflon enabled it to penetrate bullet-resistant vests. It was the hard steel bullet itself that gave KTW ammo the ability to do that... not the teflon coating.

dfariswheel
September 29, 2005, 01:38 AM
As I recall it wasn't CBS, but NBC that did the first big report.

Officials BEGGED them not to do the report, because very few people, especially criminals had ever heard of the round, or knew that police were wearing the then new lightweight bullet resistant vests.

NBC did the report in spite of the pleas not to, and within weeks there were cases of police shot in the head, because the criminals were made more aware of the vests.

In any event, the special ammo was ONLY available to police and military, NOT civilians, and the company VERY tightly controlled it.

In other words, NBC took a non-issue, non-story, and got good policemen killed just to make a splashy story.

When an NBC official was informed as to the result of the story, and the pleas not to publish it, he stated arrogantly that "The People Have A Right To Know" and dismissed the complaints.

Old Fuff
September 29, 2005, 08:36 AM
dfariswheel:

You are absolutely right, and no one should ever forget that some fine law enforcement officers died because of the "national media's" attitude. From their point of view, ratings and circlulation numbers that reflect on their bottom lines are more important then lives. Never hesitate to point this out, and that it's a matter of record that they're is not one single documented case of a police officer ever having being shot, let alone killed, with a KTW bullet. :cuss:

Tory
September 29, 2005, 08:54 AM
Which is where your search SHOULD have started:

"The 'teflon-coated armour-piercing bullet' does not
exist. A company called KTW developed a teflon-tipped
bullet for penetrating car doors, but when fired into
standard Kevlar body armour, it was even less effective
than ordinary bullets, contrary to the claims of
fanatical anti-gun lobbyists who trumpeted that this
"new bullet rendered cops helpless, even with body
armour." No police officer in the USA has been ever shot
with armour piercing handgun ammunition."

Does that help?

HankB
September 29, 2005, 09:07 AM
Introduced somewhere around 1970 or so, the original KTW bullet was made of "Kennertium," a tungsten alloy with a name coined after one of the inventors. Tungsten is both much harder and around 50% denser than lead. The Teflon coating was used to take the rifling, as a bore-diameter slug of tungsten alloy, besides raising pressures astronomically, would tend to swage out the rifling.

Never sold commercially to non-LEOs, inert rounds were made available to collectors for around $1 each, pretty pricey 35 years ago.

High prices eventually prompted KTW to discontinue the tungsten slugs and switch to a bronze alloy, though I believe the teflon coating was retained.

benEzra
September 29, 2005, 09:09 AM
Best overview of the topic on the 'net, AFAIK:

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvcopk.html

Jet22
September 29, 2005, 10:06 AM
not one single documented case of a police officer ever having being shot, let alone killed, with a KTW bullet

I seem to remember congress jumping on this "cop killer bullet" and drafting a law that would levie more punisment than if you killed the president just for posession of such a round (even though no cops were ever shot with one). I believe it came out that they weren't worried about protecting the cops lives but were concerned that these bullets could penetrate their own bullet proof cars and houses. Protecting the cops on the beat was never a priority. Imagine that. :scrutiny:

Zach S
September 29, 2005, 11:41 AM
Certain "Ballistic Illiterates" in the media decried this ammunition because they incorrectly believed the teflon enabled it to penetrate bullet-resistant vests.
And as a result of their idiocy, teflon-coated ammo was probably deemed illegal in a few states. One that I know of for sure, NC.

Jet22
September 29, 2005, 02:32 PM
teflon-coated ammo was probably deemed illegal

The funny thing is the teflon coating was put there to help stop the lead poisoning of cops at indoor ranges!! :neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "CBS bogus reporting of "Cop Killer"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!