Oregon handgun registration?

PDA

natedog
September 28, 2005, 11:21 PM
I got this off the NRA's website. Do the police keep the record of sale (de facto registration?)

"All dealers, pawnbrokers or otherwise must keep a record of every handgun sold. This record shall contain the time, date and place of the sale or trade, the name of the salesperson making the sale or trade, the make, model and manufacturer`s number on the handgun. The purchaser must sign his name and affix his address to the register. Thumbprints are taken. The purchaser must present clear evidence of his identity.

A copy of the record must be mailed to the local police and state police on the day of the sale for a record check.

A gun dealer shall request by telephone that the Dept. of State Police conduct a criminal history record check on the purchaser. The Dept. of State Police shall immediately or by return call determine whether the purchaser is qualified to complete the purchase. The fee for the criminal history record check may not exceed $10. The handgun must be unloaded when delivered."

If you enjoyed reading about "Oregon handgun registration?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
No_Brakes23
September 29, 2005, 01:21 AM
Say it ain't so...Beaverland is my first choice of pro-RKBA states to move to if/when I bail on Cali.

Technosavant
September 29, 2005, 01:45 AM
MO has the same thing, without the thumbprint.

These things predate the NICS checks brought about through the Brady Law. Since we have been winning lately in MO, attention is now turning to this sort of stupid stuff. MO people: write your state congressfolk to get the permit to purchase eliminated. As for you folks in Oregon, you might as well try too.

Be sure to play the "it is unnecessary and not as thorough as the NICS check" card, as well as the "handing a gun to a family member at the range is illegal because of this" card. A strict reading of these laws (especially in MO) can mean even handing your gun (for ANY reason) to somebody without one of these stupid permits is illegal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oregon handgun registration?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!