A "professor" wishes death upon our military

PDA

Drjones
March 28, 2003, 07:15 PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- A Columbia University professor told an anti-war gathering that he would like to see "a million Mogadishus" -- referring to the 1993 ambush in Somalia that killed 18 American servicemen.

At Wednesday night's "teach-in" on the Columbia campus, Nicholas De Genova also called for the defeat of U.S. forces in Iraq and said, "The only true heroes are those who find ways that help defeat the U.S. military." And he asserted that Americans who call themselves "patriots" are white supremacists.

De Genova's comments about defeating the United States in Iraq were cheered by the crowd of 3,000, Newsday reported. But his mention of the Somali ambush -- "I personally would like to see a million Mogadishus" -- was largely met with silence.

A call Friday to De Genova, 35, an assistant professor of anthropology, was answered with a recording that said his voice mailbox was full.

Columbia spokesman Joe Kennedy said the university was preparing a statement about the event.

History professor Eric Foner, who helped organize the teach-in and spoke after De Genova, said Friday, "I disagreed strongly and I said so. If I had known what he was going to say I would have been reluctant to have him speak."

He said De Genova was a last-minute invitee, was just one of about 25 speakers and "did not represent the general tone of the event, which was highly educational."

I bet this turd doesn't realize conservative estimates indicate we inflicted 27 times as many casualties on the enemy as we received,

Express your displeasure:

NICHOLAS DE GENOVA, Assistant Professor
Ph.D., University of Chicago
Telephone: (212) 854-0199
office: 416 Hamilton
email: npd18@columbia.edu

His boss:

NICHOLAS B. DIRKS, Professor and Chair
Ph.D., University of Chicago
Telephone: (212) 854-7785
Office: 960 Schermerhorn Ext.
e-mail: nbd7@columbia.edu

My email to this sicko:

Hello sir.

I read an article that had some colorful quotes from you on the topic of our American troops in Iraq.

“At Wednesday night's "teach-in" on the Columbia campus, Nicholas De Genova also called for the defeat of U.S. forces in Iraq and said, "The only true heroes are those who find ways that help defeat the U.S. military." And he asserted that Americans who call themselves "patriots" are white supremacists.”

You sir, are a pathetic excuse for a human being. You should struggle and strive with all of your pathetic being for the rest of your sad life to reach the point at which you could receive the honor of being called “scum” by a true American.
Even then, calling you “scum” would be an insult to scum, and the highest praise to you.

You clearly have no understanding of the fact that brave men like the ones fighting and dying in Iraq are cast from the same mold as the heroes who fought and died to provide you with a free country.
These giants among men fought and died to provide you with the freedom of speech you enjoy.
These men fought and died for your right to speak your wish of death for them.
The fact that you have the audacity to wish death upon such noble men is sickening and only exposes the vileness of your character, the blind hatred in your soul, and the foul substance that makes up Nicholas De Genova.

You are wholly undeserving of the freedoms protected by the noble men that make up the United States Armed Forces.

:fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "A "professor" wishes death upon our military" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackhawk
March 28, 2003, 07:33 PM
:banghead:

Write to Dirks about the dork. :cuss:

Slotback
March 28, 2003, 07:34 PM
What a jerk. I would use harsher language, but this is a tightly run ship, per Oleg.

Standing Wolf
March 28, 2003, 07:36 PM
Leftists are moral and intellectual parasites—and shameless America haters into the bargain.

Oleg Volk
March 28, 2003, 07:41 PM
I personally would like to see a million Mogadishus

Hmmm...he wants American forces to kill 2,000,000,000 Black Africans at the cost of 19,000,000 dead of our own....who's being a racist and a genocidal maniac here? No swearing is needed as the degree of disapproval for that ghoul masquarading as a human-American cannot be expressed with mere four-letter terms. Oxygen thief would be too mild and the sound of a war-ax hitting flesh just right...but we are Americans and will let him talk nonsense. Remember: better to be quiet and possibly be thought a fool than to speak up and remove all doubts...professor chose the second option, much to the detriment of his standing with actual humans around him.

Monkeyleg
March 28, 2003, 07:50 PM
"Columbia spokesman Joe Kennedy said the university was preparing a statement about the event."

That statement had better read, "he's been fired."

Coronach
March 28, 2003, 08:35 PM
Query:

He is a professor at Columbia?

Why are we emailing University of Chicago, at columbia.edu?

We might want to make sure we have the email/name/title right before we send out mass rants.

Just a thought,
Mike

Trisha
March 28, 2003, 08:40 PM
Too cute for words! I'm a Patriot, and I'm neither white, nor do I endorse and "Supremacy" mentality. This guy was after attention, and he succeeded in getting it.

I'd rather see him overwhelmed with deafening silence, with a spontaneous boycott of any venture he participates in.

That he has equal rights to speak his mind is not in doubt - but I sincerely hope the withering of his current and future prospects chill his very soul. . .

Airwolf
March 28, 2003, 08:51 PM
I have MANY words to describe what I think of this scum sucking worm but they would get me banned.

The word I CAN use is TRAITOR.

This is nothing more than a public act of sedition and should be handled by law enforcement officials accordingly.

Mastrogiacomo
March 28, 2003, 08:55 PM
If this ***:cuss: is Italian, his family must be from the continent. I'd want to :barf: if this idiot is Sicilian American and ashamed at that...what a loser.:fire:

Mastrogiacomo
March 28, 2003, 08:57 PM
No offense to my fellow Italian Americans here on the forum that are no doubt equally disgusted by this "professor.":scrutiny:

P95Carry
March 28, 2003, 09:00 PM
I http://www.patriotnetwork.net/images/smilies/puke.gif on this apolagy for a human being.:fire:

LostOneToo
March 28, 2003, 09:50 PM
While i most certainly for freedom of speech, I still think he'd make a truly great telephone pole decoration!!!!!:fire: :cuss:

Admiral Thrawn
March 28, 2003, 10:02 PM
What a putrescent walking vomit. Someone should give him a good beating. :cuss:

Prodigalshooter
March 28, 2003, 10:14 PM
Here's my email to him;

I think you should go and live in Iraq, if you are so enamored with it. Perhaps take up arms to defend the goverment there, because you sure don't deserve to live here. Calling for the deaths of American servicepeople is an incredibly insensitive and foolish thing to do. If I were involved with your university I would do everything in my power to have you ejected from the school. I won't make physical threats or the sort of mindless drivel you seem to delight in, that would be stooping to a level I didn't know existed till I read your comments.
You are a blight on humanity.
Brian Lavin
San Diego CA.

pax
March 28, 2003, 11:55 PM
:banghead:

Belongs in L&P, though.

pax

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty. -- Robert A.Heinlein

Sir Galahad
March 29, 2003, 12:06 AM
That "perfesser" needs to return to Gilligan's Island, because he ain't from anywhere in reality! He has his head so far up his fourth point of contact, he probably needed a porthole in his belly button to read that speech.

ed dixon
March 29, 2003, 12:10 AM
I want to hug the nutty professor real bad right now (BECAUSE MY HEAD'S ABOUT TO EXPLODE).

Sergeant Bob
March 29, 2003, 12:38 AM
“At Wednesday night's "teach-in" on the Columbia campus, Nicholas De Genova also called for the defeat of U.S. forces in Iraq and said, "The only true heroes are those who find ways that help defeat the U.S. military." And he asserted that Americans who call themselves "patriots" are white supremacists.”
This goes way beyond freedom of speech. This is sedition. He is advocating the death of U.S. servicemen! Why doesn't this ratbag, scumsucking, bottom dweller go over to Iraq and be a Hero himself? I'm sure he could find someone to engage him in his elitist fantasies. I'll spring for the plane ticket.

jmbg29
March 29, 2003, 12:44 AM
A "professor" wishes death upon our military Find me a college (other than Hillsdale, or George Mason, or B.Y.U.) where the majority of professors don't.

I promise that I'll be extremely shocked and amazed. :rolleyes:

Stevie-Ray
March 29, 2003, 12:56 AM
E-mail:
Regarding your speech at Columbia's recent 'teach-in" if what I read is true:
I think you are right. Why don't you be one of those "heroes" you talked about and go immediately to Iraq and give your all to destroy the United States Armed Forces. Please place yourself squarely in front of our forces when they march into Baghdad. I promise you we will laud you with all the reverence you so richly deserve, which, I'm sure, will consist of maybe a few open mouths before the whole of us erupt in raucous laughter at another moronic "target."

Shoeless
March 29, 2003, 01:24 AM
I sent my email to his boss and CC'd the dirtbag himself.

Coronach, in answer to your question about University of Chicago, I suspect that is the credentials of each professor. They each got their Ph.D's from the U of Chicago, is what it looks like.

Shoeless

BigG
March 29, 2003, 04:56 AM
Classic example of an education that did not take. :scrutiny:

benEzra
March 29, 2003, 03:07 PM
CNN said he was a "professor of anthropology." I would suggest that his qualification for the field of anthropology is rather suspect if he is so ignorant of his OWN culture that he thinks anyone who identifies with the term "patriot" is a white supremacist.

And he feels entitled to our paying his salary . . .

bE

JoeSF
March 29, 2003, 04:31 PM
here is a link to the Columbia Univsersity Newspaper with the artilce as it appeared...

http://www.columbiaspectator.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/03/27/3e82ec7193097?in_archive=1

Here is an excerpt that Newsday Missed...
"Peace is not patriotic," DeGenova began. "Peace is subversive, because peace anticipates a very different world than the one in which we live--a world where the U.S. would have no place."

"U.S. patriotism is inseparable from imperial warfare and white supremacy," he said. "U.S. flags are the emblem of the invading war machine in Iraq today. They are the emblem of the occupying power. The only true heroes are those who find ways that help defeat the U.S. military."

Between DeGenova's condemnation of patriotism and his call for "fragging"--"I wish," he said, "for a million Mogadishus"--his speech provoked many of the professors who spoke later in the night to assert their disagreement.

http://www.columbiaspectator.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2003/03/27/3e82ec7193097?in_archive=1

There is interesting feedback such as this on the page ...

"Presumably these professors who have such contempt for the United States will put their money where their mouth is and force Columbia to refuse all forms of federal funding? "

Drjones
March 29, 2003, 04:48 PM
Joe:

Thank you, but neither of your links work.

Thanks

JoeSF
March 29, 2003, 05:00 PM
Drjones
Fixed them try it now...

Russ
March 29, 2003, 05:08 PM
This guy needs to be fired and go teach in Mogadishu. Probably tenured and can't be fired. What a waste of air and space this guy is.

JoeSF
March 29, 2003, 10:35 PM
This comment about the teach in from a columbia student is worth reading....
here is an excerpt ...

"At the teach-in, only one set of facts was acknowledged, and it said that an unelected, plutocratic White House junta was engaged in a war of aggression in order to cement an American empire."

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-continetti032803.asp

DeltaElite
March 29, 2003, 10:40 PM
Piled High and Deep, the true meaning of PhD. :D

This guy is a prime example.

Pward
March 30, 2003, 10:10 AM
Robbins offered a different approach to coping with the current administration. "Lately, I have taken to sitting around fantasizing about being liberated at any moment by the European invasion," he said. "I figure the Europeans will realize that I live under an unelected government that has no respect for the rule of law, and that nothing short of violence can lead to regime change. Maybe they'll call their operation 'American Freedom.:confused: :what: :barf: :barf:

Monkeyleg
March 30, 2003, 07:28 PM
Here's the university's statement:

"I am shocked that someone would make such statements," declared Columbia
University President Lee Bollinger in response to comments made by Prof.
Nicky "The Weasel" De Genova calling for "a million Mogadishus" leading to
defeat of the U.S. in Iraq, as well as referring to all "patriots" as white
supremacists.

"Because of the University's tradition of academic freedom, I normally don't
comment about statements made by faculty members," Bollinger continued in a
prepared statement. "However, this one crosses the line and I really feel
the need to say something. I am especially saddened for the families of
those whose lives are at risk," he concluded.

Zander
March 30, 2003, 09:57 PM
"I am especially saddened for the families of
those whose lives are at risk," he concluded."

Then he should have the guts to do the correct thing to correct such outrageous conduct:

Call the "professor" in tomorrow morning and give him his termination notice, effective immediately.

Afterwards, call a press conference and state that he will instruct his lawyers to defend the inevitable "wrongful dismissal" suit sure to be filed by the enablers of the ACLU.

I won't be holding my breath...

Tommy Gunn
March 31, 2003, 03:14 AM
Our univerisities have become marxist brainwashing dens.

"Political Correctness" on our universities is cultural marxism.

tyme
March 31, 2003, 05:26 AM
I agree with TG (though I'd have to think through whether they're really brainwashing graduates with Marxism or with something else - maybe pure stupidity). I'd submit that state schools are better, the obvious reason being they have significant connections to the current local/state political structure which, though it varies by state, is roughly representative of the political views of the population. Private universities are not subject to such tempering. They're good for studying in non-political areas like sciences, arts, and even literature, but as soon as you stop talking about fiction and utopias, such universities suffer from a lack of significant contact with reality. They concoct more utopias and label them reality, and the students' parents are paying so much money that it's presumed the colleges are teaching something useful.

I bet one could make the case that the degeneration of sociopolitical studies at Ivy League campuses is at least partly responsible for the degeneration of the CIA.

CZ-75
March 31, 2003, 01:06 PM
I'll second Tyme about stupidity. I read the Nat. Review link JoeSF provided. The flyer he received from one of the Columbia students was so poorly written that stupidity is the only answer.

TKHover
March 31, 2003, 04:47 PM
After reading about this moron's statement, I felt that I had to repond. I sent the following email to Lee Bollinger, President of Columbia University (bollinger@columbia.edu); Jonathan C. Cole, Provost & Dean of Faculties (jrc5@columbia.edu); Dirks & De Genova, (email addresses above). I think evryone should write and express their feelings about this issue. I'm sorry for the length of this post.
---------------------------------------------
Dear President Bollinger,

I am sure that I speak for many Americans when I say that I am extremely upset at the words spoken by Dr. Nicholas De Genova at a recent Columbia University teach in. What upsets me even more is that this individual is still employed by your university after this event. I emphatically support our First Amendment right to free speech. What Dr. De Genova did went over the boundaries of this right and crossed over into treason….the aiding and comfort of our enemies. To wish for the defeat and death of our military troops is an outrage. Think of how the families of those fine men and women must feel hearing these words at a time when they are worried sick over the safety of their loved ones. I have strong feelings about this issue because my son is a naval aviator.

I retired from two different professions that give me the knowledge and right to give my opinion. I retired after thirty years as a public school teacher. I also served thirty-seven years as a military aviator, most of which was spent in the reserves while teaching school. By the way, my old guard unit is now deployed. I very well know the responsibilities that come with being a teacher. Influencing the minds of our students with our political agenda has never been appropriate.

Columbia University is one of our most prestigious institutions of higher learning. It, therefore, has an imperative obligation and responsibility to insure that objective and balanced views are given in all areas of discussion and controversy. I do not see this being done at your university. I know that a statement was issued by the administration saying that Dr. De Genova had crossed the line. Actions, however, speak louder than words. The man should be fired!

In closing, I would like to ask, other than poisoning the minds of his students, just what has Dr. De Genova ever done for this country other that nursing on the nipple of its resources? He is a disgrace and unfit to be in the same room with anyone who has ever put on the uniform of this great country.

Sincerely,

Tom Kanas
God Bless America, our President, and most importantly,
our Men and Women in Uniform

Drjones
March 31, 2003, 05:18 PM
Tom:

What an eloquent letter!

Thank you for sending it to Columbia, and thank you for sharing it here with us.

Did you read mine above?

I chose to speak with anger.

I just let my true feelings at the time speak for me. :cuss:

:D

Drjones
March 31, 2003, 05:20 PM
Everyone:

Between here, and the thread that I first learned about this on Glocktalk, I would think that Columbia is recieving more than a few VERY upset letters and phone calls.

GREAT JOB, AND THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO CONTACTED THEM!!!

:D

Shoeless
April 1, 2003, 12:35 AM
I sent mine days ago. This POS needs to be fired.

Shoeless

ojibweindian
April 1, 2003, 09:34 AM
I :barf: on the professor and Columbia University.

:cuss: :cuss: :banghead: :banghead:
JERKS!

If you enjoyed reading about "A "professor" wishes death upon our military" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!