An observation from highway driving...

PDA

bogie
September 29, 2005, 07:12 AM
Why is it that we see little memorial shrines every few miles, and there are still parents giving their teenage kids these fast cars? I mean, the things are all over the place. Must be thousands...

tbc....

If you enjoyed reading about "An observation from highway driving..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Waffen
September 29, 2005, 07:13 AM
The parrents giving the kids fast has almost nothing to do with the memorials on the side of the road. I could see if every memorial you pass is because kids were driving their cars too fast, but that is not the case.

If anything they should be a reminder not to drink and drive, and to wear you're seatbelt. I don't see any direct correlation between kids and fast cards, and memorials.

bogie
September 29, 2005, 07:24 AM
...So, these parents, who wouldn't even _dream_ of allowing little Junior to handle an "instrument of death"*, don't see anything wrong with something that'll go 55 miles an hour, and requires conscious thought and decision making to avoid disaster?

FWIW, a lot of the removals from the gene pool seem to be on relatively straight sections of road - I'm guessing that was where Junior decided to see what happens when you perform the automotive equivalant of trying to load a .22-250 with a case full of Bullseye...

*If guns kill people, I must be in real danger - I'm around hundreds, if not thousands, all week long at the benchrest nationals...

Waffen
September 29, 2005, 07:30 AM
I guess I don't see the point you are trying to make. Here is my point. I have seen several 12-15 year olds handle guns much better than I have some 40 year olds. Age alone does not mean somone will be irresponsible or vice versa. It's kind of like giving a kid a .22lr. The kid can still kill the same ammount of people with it as he could a 338-378, and if the kid can handle and shoot that 338-378 why not?

Personally if I feel the kid is responsible enough why not let him have a fast car? A kid can go 90MPH in a 89 mazda 626 or he can go 90 in a 2006 Mustang GT. It really does not matter. Responsible kids will make the right choice no matter what car they are in.

Have you stopped at thoes memorials to see how thoes people died, and think of the much greater ammout of people that have died with no memorial. I am willing to bet speed and youth had much less to do with it than alcohol and seat belts.

Would I give my kid a fast car? Probably not, but only because I couldn't afford the gas :neener:

EddieCoyle
September 29, 2005, 08:36 AM
What Bogie said. A 1978 VW Rabbit Diesel (with the AC on) can go fast enough to kill. Irresponsible, immature, and unlucky people are going to get killed.

Big_R
September 29, 2005, 09:46 AM
Ironic timing for this post, as I almost caused an accident this morning. I forgot something at my house, and was going to flip a u-turn about a mile up the road (I live on a state highway). I checked my rearview, side mirror, and turned around to check the blind spot, as I pulled out, I saw headlights. I floored my car as the Misubishi 3000 GT skidded to a stop (I know who's car it is). My guess is he was doing around 80 in order for me to have not seen him when I looked and been on me when I turned. At least he was paying attention (it was around 5:45 am). I had my CCW sitting on the passenger seat, which fell on the floor. Didn't need any coffee.

Ryan

XLMiguel
September 29, 2005, 11:21 AM
NHTSA (IIRC, aka "the Safety Nazis') says teenaged drivers make up 7% of registered rivers, but are involved in 14% of fatal accidents. They cite inexperience, poor judgment, and too many distractions (cellphones, food, other kids in car) as primary contributors.

FWIW, most of the little 'shrines' but the side of the roads I'm familiar with have a whole lot more to dowith DWI than young drivers, though some are attributable to both.

Re: young people and guns - I suspect that when they're new to guns and the training is fresh, they're more conscientious about safe practice. As people spend more time with guns (or cars) and become familiar, they tend to get lax, e.g. familiarity breeds contempt, and sheet happens :eek: :uhoh:

Responsible kids tend to do OK. Sometimes stupidity hurts, and is even fatal, regardless of the intrumentality, and the bliss-ninnies can't mitigate but so much Natural Selection.

JamisJockey
September 29, 2005, 11:36 AM
Completely off topic. Reported.

Pilgrim
September 29, 2005, 12:38 PM
Not far from my old place in the PDRK stands a memorial to a three month old baby. Her mother had enough money left over after buying a new SUV to get high on 'crank' and run a stop sign.

Pilgrim

torpid
September 29, 2005, 01:14 PM
:mad: Completely off topic. Reported.

Hee hee, and yet this thread lasted longer than your "Off topic topics" thread.
:neener:

But I know you're trying to help keep the clutter down.
:)

Oleg Volk
September 29, 2005, 01:18 PM
Please take this to APS forum.

pax
September 29, 2005, 01:19 PM
Closed as off topic.

pax

If you enjoyed reading about "An observation from highway driving..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!