Refinishing a S&W model 908

PDA

Alex
March 28, 2003, 07:08 PM
This afternoon I saw a deal I could not pass up at a local gunstore. They had a S&W model 908 for $199. I figured it would make a good pistol for my girlfriend who is interested in shooting IDPA this summer. The only problem with it is that the finish is worn off the slide pretty badly, the alloy frame is un-marred, but the slide looks pretty bad. I'm not too interested in rust blueing it which is the only blueing that I use, but I was kind of curious about using Brownells Moly coat that you spray and bake on. Does anyone have any experience with this finish and are there any tricks or things I should watch out for if I choose to use it. Basically I would just like to strip the slide down and blue it and perhaps the decocker lever and slide catch. I might replace the sights with Ashley's and I probably will also make a new set out of rosewood. Should be a pretty fair IDPA piece when it's done. I had it down to the range this afternoon and put around 200 rounds of mixed ammo through it without a hiccup.

If you enjoyed reading about "Refinishing a S&W model 908" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DeBee
March 29, 2003, 12:27 AM
If you have the necessary talent and alchemy to rust blue, I suggest you take the time to polish the slide (it is steel right?) and rust blue it...

IMHO, the Brownells bake on finish looks like crap.

4 eyed six shooter
March 29, 2003, 01:24 AM
Alex, I wouldn't say the Brownells finish looks like crap, but it is kinda thick looking when done. If you are going to use the finish, bead blast the slide, degrease and follow the instructions. The finish will wear off in time. It may be best to just send it out and have it blued.
Good shooting, John K

If you enjoyed reading about "Refinishing a S&W model 908" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!