Anyone Load This?

PDA

LAH
September 29, 2005, 07:39 PM
The Lyman Postell 45 Rifle Bullet.

http://ourworld.cs.com/BHALSTE/creekerpics/Reloading/HPIM0447.JPG

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone Load This?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sharps Shooter
September 29, 2005, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I'm experimenting with some very similar bullets from Montana Precision Swaging in my .45-110 Sharps. The bullets I'm trying look identical to the Lyman Postells except they have 5 lube grooves instead of 4. They weigh 525 grains. I can't tell you much about them yet, except their front ends are so big around for my rifle that I have to swab the black powder fouling out of my barrel after two shots in order to chamber another round.

LAH
September 30, 2005, 10:57 AM
I cast these from a borrowed mould. Used bottom pour pot and the bullets weren't the most consistant weight wise. If I ever do it again I use a ladle. Any way I haven't tried them yet.

Gewehr98
September 30, 2005, 11:42 AM
I'd like to see somebody come out with a 405-450gr spitzer for .45-70, that doesn't intrude so far into the case and limit powder capacity, particulary for my blackpowder cartridge loads in the Ruger #1S and Remington Rolling Block.

LAH
September 30, 2005, 11:59 AM

Sharps Shooter
September 30, 2005, 12:09 PM
Those two in the picture look real good. Which rifle(s) are you intending to try them in?
I've always had better luck with a ladle rather a bottom pour pot. But that may be because a ladle is what I started with and I'm more practiced with it. However, I've only cast handgun bullets and some 30-caliber rifle bullets. I really didn't want to get into casting bullets for my Sharps, but it's starting to look like I might have to. The available commercially cast bullets I've tried so far just aren't working too well for me. From talking to other BPCR shooters, and from what I've read, I understand for best accuracy the front end of the bullet must be nearly "bore riding" in diameter. But it's ridiculous that with some of the commercially cast bullets I've tried, I have to swab out my barrel between every round.

LAH
September 30, 2005, 12:13 PM
I'll be shooting these in a Repo. 74 Sharps. I'm packing for a move so haven't any of these handy to measure the nose.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone Load This?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!