Dale City, Virginia, gun show ...

PDA

Mike Irwin
March 28, 2003, 07:42 PM
Anyone going?

I'm going to be there around 10 a.m.

Anyone else?

If you enjoyed reading about "Dale City, Virginia, gun show ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
22x9
March 28, 2003, 08:16 PM
That's typical. So far everytime there's a gun show in Northern VA, I've had to go out of town. Same thing this weekend. Cod Sarn It...

4Truck
March 28, 2003, 08:26 PM
I would love to go, if only I knew where they were having it...

I had heard it is at the VFW hall, is this correct??

Mal H
March 28, 2003, 09:56 PM
Correct, it's at the VFW Hall on Minnieville Rd.

SapperLeader
March 29, 2003, 01:12 PM
Yes, Im definitly going on sunday morning. Im looking forward to going to a local show rather than having to drive down to richmond.

MJRW
March 29, 2003, 01:25 PM
Well, being that close I think I have to go.

Mike Irwin
March 29, 2003, 04:05 PM
Well, Mr. Mal and I will be there, but Mr. James won't, unfortunately.

I'll be wearing one of my green TFL Alumni shirts. Watch for it!

trvlr905
March 29, 2003, 04:12 PM
Just got back from there. Ahhh....it was alright. Definitely the place you want to go if you're looking for knives. Saw a coupla tables with decent prices for handguns, a coupla tables with parts, and some racks of C&Rs (kinda expensive). I couldn't find much in the way of ammo, though. Oh, well, maybe next time.

tankertom
March 29, 2003, 06:22 PM
I may head down there. I have a Finnish M39 Nagant I am thinking of taking down to sell. I'll keep an eye out for Mike and Mal.

TT

Mike Irwin
March 30, 2003, 02:37 PM
Jesus, I should have stayed in bed. 60 mile round trip for SQUAT.

It wasn't a gun show, folks. I'd say close to HALF of the tables were given over to assorted crap only peripherally related to guns.

There were more knife dealers than gun dealers.

There were several dealers in paper money.

There were at least 2 beef jerkey dealers.

There was one dealer, always there, who deals in beanie babies, cheezy watches, knockoff crap of all types... The only thing even remotely related to guns was the cap gun in her one case.

There were two dealers in new handguns. Decent assortment.

There were a couple of people with some new rifles.

There were a fair number of tables with military surplus rifles, and older sporting rifles and shotguns.

There were some older handguns scattered about.

Prices? Not any bargains, that's for sure.

My two favorites?

How about a Smith & Wesson Model 27-2. Decent shape, a few minor dings & scratches, probably qualified as 95 to 98 percent.

Had some jackass sign on it that said something about "One of the last made with the milled receiver!"

Say what?

The price? A bargain at $895! I think I've found out where Kid Billions hangs out!

The other one was even worse.

What the guy claimed was a pre-Model 29 in .44 Mag. OK, there were only about 6,000 of them made, so it commands a premium.

But, then we have the scratches. The pretty bad holster wear on the muzzle & cylinder. At least one ding. And I don't think the grips were original...

I could only JUST keep myself from purchasing this little bargain for $1,400!

What was lacking at this show?

Anyone who carried cleaning rods, cleaning supplies or grips. There were some ammo dealers there, but certainly no true deals. Blue Ridge Arsenal in Virginia may have better prices on some of their ammo, and if you're familiar with Blue Ridge, you know how tough that would be.

The only saving grace was that I was able to get bullets for my .32-20.

I felt like bitching at the guy running the show, but I figured why bother.

Dale City has been something of a dog for a long time, so that's it. It has just sucked one too many times. I'm not going back to the Dale City show again any time soon.

MBG
March 30, 2003, 02:50 PM
Was it an Old Dominion Show, or was someone else hosting it?

Marty

guy293
March 30, 2003, 02:57 PM
It did suck kinda bad as far as the number of firearms dealers. Trader Jerry's usually has a good selection and some of his prices are average. Dark Sun wasn't there--they usually have pretty good prices, you just never know what kind of inventory they will have.

I would like to see more ammunition dealers and some quality holster vendors.

Next weekend is Bealton, but that is a good hour drive for me without traffic on 95--not sure if it's worth the drive either. On that note I made the trip from Alexandria to Richmond several months ago to the Showplace. Hadn't been there in several years--huge place but just more room for all the junk vendors--very few firearms dealers.:rolleyes:

Mike Irwin
March 30, 2003, 03:06 PM
Marty,

It was the Old Dominion Show.

Guy,

I don't even bother with 95 when I head to the Bealton show. I head out 66 and catch it that way.

Mal H
March 30, 2003, 03:19 PM
Dang, trvlr905! You should have hit Mike and me over the head with some bold lettering or something. You were right, if you're after a knife or some coins that's the place to be. We were both dissapointed. I came close to buying a very nice Argentine Mauser, but didn't knowing it would only be a frustration purchase, nothing more. We both got some reloading supplies, but that's it.

trvlr905
March 30, 2003, 06:22 PM
Ok, now that I've seen the Dale City gunshow, how are the other ones? I was thinking about making a trip down to Richmond to check out the shows down there. Are the other Dominion shows in NoVa any better?

mtnbkr
March 30, 2003, 07:09 PM
Glad I didn't miss anything. Dale City was my first gunshow EVER, so I hold a tender spot for it in my heart, but it's nowhere near as good as Bealton. Old Dominion shows are going downhill fast. It's almost at the point where I won't go to an OD show anymore. The other show organizer, can't remember it's name, is much better. Last time I went to one of those shows, I found everything I needed.

BTW, next weekend, in Harrisonburg, there's a custom knife show.

Chris

gun-fucious
March 30, 2003, 08:17 PM
'cross the potomac next weekend
Frederick MD Silverado show

Mike Irwin
March 30, 2003, 10:15 PM
I've been to the Fredneck show once. Good selection, good prices on ammo, but hey, I'm from Virginia. I can't guy any revolvers.

Chris,

You're right, the Old Dominion Shows are getting to be pretty crappy. It's really disappointing. The first one I was to in this area was the OD show at Bealton probably 1991/1992. Great show.

Mike Irwin
March 30, 2003, 10:18 PM
I opened a review thread for the Dale City Show that's active right now.

Mal's being nice.

The show sucked on snow balls, which is what I was driving on to get to the show in the first place! 123 South down through Occoquon was NOT pleasant around 9:45 this morning.

I really think that this was the last Dale City show for me. They have been going down hill for some time, and this one just couldn't have been worse.

4thHorseman
March 30, 2003, 10:34 PM
Does the dealer Dark Sun have a web site anybody know?

Mike Irwin
March 30, 2003, 10:56 PM
Best of my knowled no, they don't.

Mal H
March 31, 2003, 07:58 AM
I was hoping to see Dark Sun in Dale City, but the dealer from Patriot Arms said they were in Richmond at a simultaneous show there. Two shows within 75 miles of each other means one of them is going to suffer, and it was Dale City that did.

[Note - The two Dale City GS threads are now merged and title changed.]

22x9
March 31, 2003, 08:08 AM
The last few Old Dominion Shows in Leesburg have also sucked eggs. I couln't even find the Jerky Lady. I'm gonna give `em one last shot at the April Show. I just need to buy some ammo, hopefully they'll have it.

esef
March 31, 2003, 09:57 AM
I'm glad that I didn't make it after all. I had planned on going but last minute business kept me form going plus the weather sucked. I think I'll head down to Bealton if I can find the time, but even the Richmond show a few months back wasn't that great but at least it had about three times the gun dealers than what Old Dominion ussually brings. That's not saying much though.

Poodleshooter
March 31, 2003, 04:11 PM
You guys should have hit the show at the Raceway/Fairgrounds in Richmond. I would have, but I received the postcard ad for it in the mail this afternoon. :rolleyes: They used to attract mostly collector/antique guns (which sucked), but with the Showplace competition, they have had to improve their shows and cater more to to the mainstream shooters. Now, I even find reloading and ammo vendors at that show. It's been my impression that all of the shows in NoVa are puny and tend to suck. I've never heard anyone really speak well of them.

beckrodgers
April 1, 2003, 09:35 PM
Sounds bad, we did not bother w/the show here this week end in Memphis. We got good info on the show while we were at the range shooting ,the description you gave fit not only the past weekend,but all we have gone to here over the last 2 years. I have no good idea on a solution,for this problem. Thanks

ChuteTheMall
April 2, 2003, 11:13 AM
Although the Dale City shows are closest to me, I rarely bother anymore. Same with Leesburg, too small, no bargains.

For ammo, I prefer the MD shows. For guns & ammo, I'll drive 80 miles down I-95 to Richmond, preferably at the Showplace instead of the RRC.

Once in a while I'll go to Bealeton, but it's usually a 60 mile waste of time, overcrowded and no bargains, same old stuff every show.

Ol' Badger
April 2, 2003, 11:39 AM
I was going to go. Sad now to hear there were Knife dealer and Beef Jerky dealers there:(

David Park
April 2, 2003, 12:25 PM
Mike, you must have left Dale City before I got there. I worked the VCDL table in the afternoon.

The show was pretty lousy, but like Mal said, another gunshow will split your true dealers, so the rest of the tables get filled with junk traders. I worked a couple Dale City shows late last year that were pretty good. Bealeton is usually better, but the last Bealeton show also conflicted with another gunshow, so it was pretty light on dealers too.

22x9, I believe the next Leesburg show has been "postponed" (i.e., cancelled). I don't think it's worth attending anyway unless you like big yard sales.

Mike Irwin
April 2, 2003, 01:38 PM
"so the rest of the tables
get filled with junk traders."

Dale City for some reason has always had a very high proportion of junk dealers, even when there isn't another show for hundreds of miles.

I'm sorry, I'm going for a goddamned gun and related products show, not a paper money/beanie babies/slot machine and other assorted complete crap show.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dale City, Virginia, gun show ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!