Magazine Spring Goo- Wipe it off or leave it on?

PDA

marklbucla
September 29, 2005, 11:01 PM
What's that goo for and do I need to leave it on?

If you enjoyed reading about "Magazine Spring Goo- Wipe it off or leave it on?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
forquidder
September 29, 2005, 11:35 PM
First time cleaning your magazine? It's probably grease that was used when the magazine was assembled at the factory. Wipe it off the spring then wipe down the inside of the magazine with a good cleaner/lubricant then wipe on a light coat of gun oil on the spring and the inside of the magazine and reassemble.

nyresq
September 30, 2005, 12:12 AM
I wipe it off because most times its sticky... sticky can't be good.

use a little gun scrubber and the stuff comes right off.

Preacherman
September 30, 2005, 04:03 AM
As a general rule of thumb, anything sticky will attract dust, dirt and grime, and eventually turn into an abrasive paste. Even oil will do it if left uncleaned and exposed to the elements for long enough. This is bad enough in a gun's action, but infinitely worse in a magazine - too much sticky crud in there, and your rounds may not feed when you really, really need them to!

I'd suggest thoroughly de-greasing the spring and the mag interior (Gun Scrubber, or the cheaper generic brake parts cleaner from Wal-Mart will do a good job). Reassemble and test thoroughly - no lubrication should be needed. Some folks put a very light dusting of graphite powder in the magazine... this works, but is also rather dirty, so you pays your money and takes your choice. Personally, I've never needed it.

Carl N. Brown
October 3, 2005, 12:43 PM
Sticky lube in cold weather gets, well, stickier
and can gum up the works on a cold day.

If you enjoyed reading about "Magazine Spring Goo- Wipe it off or leave it on?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!