Gunbroker.com

PDA

Phaetos
September 30, 2005, 12:36 AM
I see links to this site all the time and decided to look at it. Is this supposed to be like an auction site, wholesale pricing, or what? Prices don't seem to look any better than what I see around town. Anyone used this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunbroker.com" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hotpig
September 30, 2005, 12:42 AM
Yes it is a auction site. Just like Ebay you have to decide what you are willing to pay. The big advantage is you can find stuff there that you can not find locally. New guns sell at or just above dealer price and there are thousands of new and used guns to look at.

Phaetos
September 30, 2005, 12:55 AM
Hmmm.. sounds interesting. Any experience with it?

hotpig
September 30, 2005, 01:08 AM
I have bought and sold many things there. I have been with them since they started. Here is one of mine.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=37839929

Beetle Bailey
September 30, 2005, 01:40 AM
It's a auction site. I've used it a few times to find a few milsurp rifles. Always had a good experience, as I always check the feedback rating and ask questions. The way I see it is, it gives me more options than just my local gunshops. YMMV.

Tim3256
September 30, 2005, 09:10 AM
I know that alot of folks like them, and that's great.

But since you asked...
My advice to you is to stay away, but if you must use their "services", be very careful with GB. They are VERY biased towards the seller. If you have a problem with a transaction, don't expect GB to help AT ALL. In fact, expect them to actively protect the seller, and censor your negative feedback. Their "rating" system is a joke. There are other, better sites, but I don't want you to think I'm doing a commercial for someone else. My advice is based on experience.

Tim

rbernie
September 30, 2005, 09:37 AM
Tim speaks the truth. Use AuctionArms - they're much more interested in keeping the site free from both deatbeat buyers and deadbeat sellers than GunBroker, and they offer some really nice selling amenities (free automatic relisting, etc.).

I won't buy or sell on GunBroker ever again. I've sold at least 25 items on AuctionArms, and bought at least ten firearms there.

thatguy
September 30, 2005, 11:52 AM
I haven't experienced any real differences between AA and GB. Both are auction sites but GB is much bigger. Also see far more dealers there offering new items. Often the prices aren't good on these when shipping and transfer fees are added. Buyer beware.

I have bought about 35 guns and many other items from both sites with no real complaints. One or two of the guns weren't quite as good as I thought they would be but I always buy at my price so that makes it OK.

I got this Model 14-3 two months ago for $100. That was the starting price and nobody else bid on it.

http://www.fototime.com/5F3C0F2977EE447/standard.jpg

TJ
September 30, 2005, 04:44 PM
Tim3256 speaks the truth. I ordered a magazine from a fellow who seemed very confused about what he was selling. I tried to get gunbroker to help sort it out, but after several emails, I got no answers from them.
But, that being said, I have bought several things that were great deals. You can find good deals, but make sure you check the buyers or sellers feedback.

Fastlane
September 30, 2005, 05:50 PM
Thatguy, you are a lucky man. I have been browsing GB and AA for several years and never seen any S&W in the condition of your 14 go for less than $200.00. I must have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Good find. :)

countertop
September 30, 2005, 06:19 PM
I got this Model 14-3 two months ago for $100. That was the starting price and nobody else bid on it.

Hot Damn! :what:

I used to cruise the listings of both every night, but haven't in some time.

Maybe I need to check them out some more.

thatguy
September 30, 2005, 07:55 PM
I got this one, nearly a twin to the one pictured above, about 4 months earlier for $165 off GB. At the time I thought that was a great deal until I bagged the other one for $65 less.

I don't know what I'll do with two of them, though...

http://www.fototime.com/24FC83A7BD949C6/standard.jpg

rick_reno
September 30, 2005, 08:41 PM
I only buy from GunBroker - much more stuff and NEVER have had a problem.

Azrael256
September 30, 2005, 08:44 PM
I don't know what I'll do with two of them, though Revolvers akimbo, anyone?

Seriously, if you're all out of ideas, just send them to me and I'll come up with something.

Standing Wolf
September 30, 2005, 10:33 PM
Prices don't seem to look any better than what I see around town.

They're not. Many of the guns include sucker price tags. Sellers just leave them on the site untilódays or weeks or months laterócomplete suckers come along.

It costs a lot less to list a gun on an auction site than keep it in a display case in a brick and mortar gun shop for months on end.

Kman
September 30, 2005, 11:02 PM
You are sooo right, it's merely another avenue to display guns, at full retail. "Auction" doesn't even apply to these sites very often. Once in a great while a pawn shop or individual will actually auction a gun off, it's rare but does happen. Most are marked at full retail with shipping to boot,, then those transfer fees come later,,,by the time you've got the thing your in so deep you might as well marry it!!

ezypikns
September 30, 2005, 11:25 PM
Know whether you're getting a deal or not. I've purchased a number of firearms from both auction sites. Never had a problem.
Anyone who thinks you can just pop on the sites and pick up a bargain, is sadly mistaken. Most of these sellers know exactly what their product is worth. But as seen, bargains are there. For every good deal I've gotten I've spent dozens of hours looking. But looking is half the fun.

res1b3uq
October 1, 2005, 01:00 AM
I still look, but I am usually looking for a specific item, and don't plow thru the whole thing. I missed a LW Colt Commander a few days ago by a dollar. Didn't need it anyway. (dangit) Most of the stuff is by dealers, and they put a high reserve or starting price on it, so there are a lot of no bids. I have gotten some good deals in both places, and Ebay, but you have to watch the shipping.

hotpig
October 1, 2005, 01:35 AM
You just have to shop around. Most of the new guns sold by dealers come from Davidson's. I also use Davidsons sometimes so I know what the dealer price is. I often see new guns sold at cost with a little fluff added to the shipping to cover the fees. They will often charge a credit card fee also. Remember to compare these extras when you are shopping.

I do not sell guns to make a big profit. There is no way to do this on the net unless you just happen across suckers. For example I have a new G39 here that a customer is going to pick up in a few days. My profit will be 6.00 after I pay the invoice and State of Illinois. The funny thing is if he purchased it from some other dealer and I did the transfer for him I would make 8.00 after paying the State.

I have to sell guns in order to keep my FFL. In a town of 2800 and a State that does not allow honest citizens to carry weapons to protect themselves I have to move units even if there is no profit.

Coltdriver
October 1, 2005, 08:31 PM
I have bought and sold a lot of guns on Gunbroker.

I have never had a bad experience.

However, I always check the feedback of the seller if I am buying. If they don't have a lot of transactions and all positives, I just don't bid.

I have picked up some good bargains there too. I got a Belgian Browning HP for $360.

The key is the sellers feedback and the quantity of transactions with perfect results.

MountainPeak
October 1, 2005, 08:53 PM
I guess I'm old fashion. I like to handle a firearm, inspect, and check the action out before I shell out my money. I do browse the auction sites on occasion. I see a whole lot more over priced than under priced. In all honesty though, I've also seen a couple of great deals sold(assuming thy were as represented). To each his own!!!!

Rufus Pisanus
October 1, 2005, 10:20 PM
I have bought a few guns at Gunbroker and had no problems so far. In a few cases it was fair prices for rare things that I wouldn't find easily. In one case it was a really good price. I have the feeling that prices in Baltimore are higher than elsewhere so while convenient for me, GB may be expensive for those of you lucky enough to live in better parts of the country...

I also like the GB interface better than AA. I am not saying it is better just that it suits me better. I second the comment that checking feedback is essential...

If you enjoyed reading about "Gunbroker.com" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!