35 Whelen with pistol bullets

PDA

SDGlock23
September 30, 2005, 12:45 AM
Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone here has good experience with .357 pistol bullets in the 35 Whelen? I've heard even 9mm bullets will work, albeit with a deficiency in accuracy. In general, can one expect sufficient accuracy from loading the 35 Whelen with pistol bullets? I'm using my Remington 700 CDL I bought last week. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "35 Whelen with pistol bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
only1asterisk
September 30, 2005, 01:28 AM
Some revolver bullets work great in the 35 Whelen, some are too lightly constructed and will come apart. I've had good results loading various 158 JHPs for plinking/varmit/practice. The 180's tend to be a bit heavier construction and you can drive some to full velocity. They aren't as explosive as the 158's but most don't hold together well enough to use on deer size game.

David

pete f
September 30, 2005, 03:25 AM
the 125 golden sabre's from remington are just the bee's knees on rabbits not intended for consumption. loaded to about 1500 Fps out of a 35 rem bunnies go poof!! extremely spectacular. I would look at a load using sr4579

critter
September 30, 2005, 08:13 AM
They make WONDERFUL low level plinking loads and are usually exceptionally accurate. Vastly diffierent POI though. This is a magnificient way to introduce a new, young shooter to a centerfire rifle. Have fun!

cracked butt
September 30, 2005, 08:48 AM
I would try them with 16 gr. of 2400 behind them as a starting load.

thatguy
September 30, 2005, 10:58 AM
I have loaded .454 Colt .45 lead bullets in my 45/70s for plinking and they work great. I don't see why it would be any different with .357s in a .35 rifle.

Bear in mind that pistol bullets are made to work at much lower velocities than rifles so if you load them too high they will explode on impact or even fly apart in mid-air before reaching the target. Plinking and small game loads, only.

If you enjoyed reading about "35 Whelen with pistol bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!