What is the worst recoil you have ever endured?

PDA

jsalcedo
March 28, 2003, 09:11 PM
Recently I went plinking with some 3inch 12 gauge 000 buck
out of my mossberg persuader.

The recoil was horrendous.
Me, my step brother and my dad all of us 6ft 3 plus and at least 260 pounds fired off a few of these shells.

We were nearly brought to tears from the sadistic pounding
of these innocuous looking 12 gauge rounds.

What is the worst recoil you have endured and lived to write about.

Handgun, rifle, shotgun, launcher etc.. I want to hear about it.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the worst recoil you have ever endured?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nightcrawler
March 28, 2003, 09:14 PM
New England Firearms 12 gauge "pardner" single shot shotgun, with barrel shortened to 20".

Fired about seven rounds, mixed, 3" 00 buck and 1oz slugs, without any kind of recoil pad, just the plastic buttplate, wearing a t-shirt.

After the third or fourth shot, my arm went tingly, and I had a buttplate shaped bruise in my shoulder for over a week, complete with phillps-head-screw-shaped welts.

Learned fast.

Charles S
March 28, 2003, 09:19 PM
I once took care of a "Gentleman" in the ER who had taken off his muzzle brake to try and shoot his single shot 50 BMP. He had managed to detach his retina. I think that is the worst recoil I am aware of.

Myself and the ER doc were both shooters, but I don't think we were all that sympathetic.

Charles

PerfectGlock
March 28, 2003, 09:22 PM
The hardest: Enfield No.5 MK1, 150 rounds fired in a row.:what: . If you put it on your shoulder wrong, it smacks your bones together. Hard.:cuss:

This was while wearing a thick, German military winter jacket (the flags on the arm have been covered by American flags now.)

Don't get me started on firing .357 Magnum 125 grain softpoints out of a COP derringer.:what: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Navy joe
March 28, 2003, 09:22 PM
Single shot 20ga launching a "max" dram slug. For my money 20s almost always are more miserable about kick than 12s. I was a kid then, now I don't think a 12 ga kicks at all. Never shot a rifle bigger than .30-06 so I don't know what kick feels like there. Biggest handgun fired was .454Casull out of a Taurus, Even with the worst handloads someone can dream up for it I enjoy shooting it. The pistol I will put down the quickest is my MK40 Kahr firing full power defense ammo. Most folks hand it back after one or two, I pass after about 20.

CWL
March 28, 2003, 09:25 PM
3in Magnum slugs for 12ga.

Back when I thought size was more important than practice. ;)

coonan357
March 28, 2003, 09:28 PM
my8MM lebel berthier over loaded it 6 grs of xmr 4350 with a 235 gr cupro nickle N bullet(.327 which is the tight fitting one ) , I thought I blew the gun up it kicked so hard left a black and blue mark over my whole collarbone area for a couple of weeks . I pulled down the rest of the rounds (19) and double checked them . confusion existe from writting out the loads and getting the powders swapped .. glad french army rifles are only shot once..:D

Bonker
March 28, 2003, 09:28 PM
I have an old 1930's 12ga pump that kicks harder with standard shells than any of my other 12 ga pumps with magnums.
I have no clue why it kicks so much harder. It's all steel and heavy as hell. It will bruise you badly in just 2 or 3 rounds.

I also have a 20mm cannon that is impossible to hold. We just lay it on the ground to fire. Loud as a grenade too!

454 casul hurts a lot too.

Slotback
March 28, 2003, 09:30 PM
454 Casul is a brute.

bobs1066
March 28, 2003, 09:31 PM
A 152mm conventional round out of a Sheridan armored recon vehicle, sitting in the TC hatch was like being in a rocking chair during an earthquake.

4Truck
March 28, 2003, 09:32 PM
A Benelli Nova firing 3 1/2" magnum turkey loads, kicks worse than my 7lb .300 win mag!!!

cola8d8
March 28, 2003, 09:41 PM
I thought heavy loads in 45-70 out of a Contender was pretty bad...

PerfectGlock
March 28, 2003, 09:42 PM
I have no clue why it kicks so much harder. It's all steel and heavy as hell. It will bruise you badly in just 2 or 3 rounds.

Could it be the choke? I've just been learning about chokes and shotguns from many searches on TFL, and I heard chokes might affect recoil.

Bonker
March 28, 2003, 09:43 PM
It has no choke in it. It's a mystery! Ooohhhh !!! :)

Greg L
March 28, 2003, 09:58 PM
A .458 Win. Mag. offhand.

A bit of a bang. :D

tomkatz
March 28, 2003, 10:28 PM
I pretty much agree with the bennelli nova, but the worst I have felt was today, my friends new ti/scandium 329 smith 44 mag, OMG it is insanity to put full power loads in there!!:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

tom
ps....I can now say the ti scandium 357 guns are nothing, just pussycats compared to this beast

Pilgrim
March 28, 2003, 10:38 PM
I thought the recoil of an M-79 grenade launcher was interesting.

Bainx
March 28, 2003, 10:39 PM
Just a few weeks ago as a matter of fact, I fired a 50 BMG bolt action. Hope to post a photo of the "State Arms" rifle that looked like nothing more than a Remmington 700. It shoved more than kicked but still felt like both barrels of a 12 ga going off at the same time!:cool:

Hutch
March 28, 2003, 10:51 PM
Buddy's .454 C in a SRedhawk was pretty awe-inspiring. Full-house .357.s in an SP101 were VERY unpleasant. Ain't never shot one of the TiScan Smifs in .357, I can't imagine....

A full-tilt .375 H&H off the bench was quite a shove. Concur with the others that an allow-framed 12g pump w/ slugs is sets the old butt back right smartly.

telewinz
March 28, 2003, 10:56 PM
Ruger #3 carbine with 500 grain, 45/70 loaded to near 458 magnum velocity. It drew a crowd at the range.:what:

foghornl
March 28, 2003, 10:59 PM
First shotgun I used...A Stevens/Savage Model 94B break-open single shot. Stock and forend were of some nylon material named [as I sort of vaguely recall} "tenite" Didn't weigh a whole lot more than my Rem Nylon 66 .22

Shooting buddy bought one of the American Derringer brand 2-shot over/unders in 357 Mag. Last time I asked, he still had 49/50 of the original ammo Rem 158 Gr SJHP. When I pressed about why he didn't shoot it more, he muttered something about "...A tiny fractional bit more 'Kick' than I expected...":what:

Steve in PA
March 28, 2003, 11:02 PM
Winchester 12ga 3" magnum turkey loads, #4 shot???? out of a Savage 311 double barrel.

I made the mistake of saying..."gee, lets see what happens when I pull both triggers!!!!! :what:

Smoke
March 28, 2003, 11:14 PM
When I was a kid I had my Granddads .300 Savage, I thought it was the king of all kickers. Now that I'm grown it doesn't seem like much.

I purchased a used Savage in .300WinMag. Light weight rifle, no brake. I sighted it in 3 shots at a time. Wait a week, 3 more shots. I still have it but don't shoot it much.

willp58
March 28, 2003, 11:20 PM
I shot a buddies 10 gauge single shot with hot turkey loads and that was worse than anything I've ever shot so far..
If anyone shot one of those while sitting against a tree I know it would break your shoulder.

Combat-wombat
March 28, 2003, 11:22 PM
Damn! My plans were to buy a mossberg persuader! I'm only 13 so I sure as hell can't handle the recoil of that if a full-grown adult can't. But hey, the serbu super-shorty 12-ga. has gotta be ALOT worse!http://serbu.com/shorty.htm/ss3s.jpeg

Stevie-Ray
March 28, 2003, 11:42 PM
I thought heavy loads in 45-70 out of a Contender was pretty bad... Same here. Most unpleasant gun I've ever fired was my own .45-70 Contender, shooting Remington 300s. Didn't even finish out the box. Left about 8 rounds, as recoil shattered nerves were beginning to cause excess flinch. Not to mention all 4 wall furnaces were being blown out with every shot. Immediately made a trip to Magnaport International to have a rifle type Magnaport job done on it. It's still unfriendly as hell.

Shot .375 H&H Mag, many years ago. Hurts, but not as unpleasant as above.

cool45auto
March 28, 2003, 11:51 PM
I agree with the 3 1/2 inch loads out of a 12 gauge shotgun, they are pretty stout.

jsalcedo
March 28, 2003, 11:51 PM
I just bought one of the H&R handi rifles in 45/70

I took it out with winchester 350 grain hollowpoints.

Let me tell you this is a tiny light weight rifle.

I'm going to call it the meat tenderizer from now on......

ed dixon
March 29, 2003, 12:16 AM
By far the most painful ever was when my wife threw my Wingmaster in the rocks and mud after firing it the first time. My girl almost got hurt real bad... oh yeah, and my wife's shoulder was bruised.:D

ahadams
March 29, 2003, 01:37 AM
combat-wombat - the regular shoulderstock and the recoil pad are worth the effort - just ask the dad of my Goddaughter who was 4 years older than you when he fired a persuader with a slug for the first (and last) time. :D

worst recoil personally: I thought a single shot (I forget the brand ) 10 gauge 3.5" magnum (at least I think it was a 3.5") with no recoil pad was the worst. Definitely worse than an M203 and not nearly as much fun. HOWEVER the LOUDEST, even with hearing protection, was a DRAGON antitank guided Missile which had a charge that pushed it out of the tube before the main motor ignited - think of having someone shoot a 10 gauge with the muzzle about 3 inches in front of your ear and 3 inches away from your ear, and you get the idea.

mons meg
March 29, 2003, 02:07 AM
I would have said my Mossy 590 with the 3" magnum 000 loads, but then I remembered the time witht the M203 on the grenade launcher range at Lejeune...

I did put the "powder" round through the open window of the old car door they were using as a target... :)

S_O_Laban
March 29, 2003, 02:23 AM
Worst rifle 458 Win mag with IIRC 450 grain soft nose, I thought it might be worse than it was but hurt my finger worse than anything.

Shotgun: SS 10 guage don't remember the load

Handgun: haven't shot many big handguns, Dan Wesson 44mag with hot loads was the worst, nice gun though and I didn't think the recoil was all that bad

4 eyed six shooter
March 29, 2003, 02:50 AM
A 30-06 Magnum Research single shot handgun with no muzzle brake. It hurt soo good!:D

Mike Irwin
March 29, 2003, 03:21 AM
.505 Gibbs was pretty unpleasant.

.460 Weatherby is something I really don't want to try again.

.405 Winchester in a Model 95 with that crappy narrow crescent buttplate was nasty.

Worst, though?

Probably the 1 1/8 ounce slug out of my Father's Ithaca Model 37 Featherweight.

firestar
March 29, 2003, 04:24 AM
.340 Weatherby Mag out of a lightweight Rem 700 rifle. Worse than any 12 ga I have fired.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
March 29, 2003, 05:11 AM
The worst I ever had the misfortune to shoot was a Pachmayr Dominator (anyone remember those?) in .308 Winchester. The Dominator was a barrel converion (upper) that bolted to a 1911A1 frame. Recoil was somewhat akin to extending your arms straight out with elbows locked and palms out, held up like the stop! position, with Andre Aggasi whapping a tennis racket into your palms.

IIRC, they made this aberration in .223, 44 magnum, and 30-06 in addition to the .308. Glad now I didn't have the 30-06 hand howitzer to shoot.

Second only to that would be the Auto-Burglar in 12 gauge. Guaranteed radial nerve damage with more than 2 shots.

Of course, for pure entertainment value for your pleasure and someone else's discomfort and amazement, there's the wonderfully brutal .577 T-Rex. I love those videos.

Regards,
Rabbit.
"If we could just get everyone to close their eyes and visualize world
peace for an hour, imagine how serene and quiet it would be until
the looting started..."

38snapcaps
March 29, 2003, 07:45 AM
At the range one day a friend of my brother's handed me a .44 magnum snub to try. I pulled the trigger and could not believe the recoil! I even felt the shock wave hit my face.

I gave it another shot and that was enough. The owner couldn't understand why I was giving it back.

In rifles it would be a German Mauser 8mm. Now I know why those WWII German soldiers felt they were the elite, they had to be some really tough dudes to fight with that rifle for YEARS!

Imagine a day of combat on the Eastern Front, round after round after round and Ivan is STLL coming. And you do it again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next. Just amazing.

Dannyboy
March 29, 2003, 08:08 AM
The worst recoil I have ever felt was my buddy's .338 Lapua. He had the trigger set way too light. As I was getting on the bench I touched the trigger with the second knuckle on the inside of my finger. I'm trying to get comfy there and BOOM! I never knew what hit me. It wasn't so bad after that though.

I wussed out on the .416 Rigby. Didn't want no part of that bad boy whatsoever.

IRONFIST
March 29, 2003, 08:59 AM
Years ago, when I was maybe 7 or 8(I'm 36 now), my dad drank a couple of six-packs and killed the bottom half of a cheap whiskey bottle.This was a normal occurence. As the sun was setting he decides to show me how a man shoots a rifle. Staggered into the hovel we lived in at the time and returned shortly with a big old .270 Stands behind me, sits it kinda loosely on my shoulder, has me put both hands under the stock and jerks the trigger himself. No warning at all, just yanked the trigger. That rifle BOOMED!, slammed back and tried to tear my shoulder off. Knocked me down and I passed out. Turns out that it dislocated my shoulder and I had to go to the hospital. I can still remember the beautiful bloom of fire that came out the muzzle against the evening sky. My Pop no longer drinks like that(he had the choice to lose the booze or lose me and mom) and I still shoot his .270 on occasion... but I cant seem to forget the pain of that first time.

Michael in Sandy, OR

280PLUS
March 29, 2003, 09:11 AM
glad he chose to lose the booze...

well, don't get ME started on the s&w j frame airlite .357 with the big nasty rounds in it.

:what:

but i see now they got the lightweight .44 so i gotta wonder how THAT compares. don't know if i'll try it. i may...

if so i'll be sure to file my report right here on thr first

:D

stevelyn
March 29, 2003, 10:06 AM
I'm still trying to decide. I have three memorable experiences with recoil. The first was an out-of-the-box, wood stocked, Ruger 77 in .338 WinMag. For no particular reason it just hurt. I fired two shots and layed it down.
Never ever fire magnum 00Buck or slug loads loads from a pistol grip or wire stock shotgun. And never listen when your friends tell you you have to empty the magazine just because they did.
There isn't a situation I can think of that necessitates firing all five rounds from a .454 Casull revolver.

jsalcedo
March 29, 2003, 11:28 AM
When I was in my early 20's I had 3 friends (actually a couple more but thats not important now)

One had bought an Ithaca double barrel from around 1920

One had bought a big bag of 2 3/4 mqagnum slugs (for no reason
he had no shotgun)

The last friend had an insane drunk for a father that collected old broken television sets.

What a fortuitous combination.

Firing the slugs out of the shotgun was pretty stout (we didn't know that we were destroying the choke)

Exploding TV's was the best entertainment the tube had offered since Captain Kangaroo.

Then someone gets the bright idea: If one magnum slug is good
than two is better.
So he proceeds to put the Ithaca next to his hip and pull both triggers. at once.

The gun flew out of his hands nearly ripping his fingers off in the process luckily landing in a pile of dirt and leaves.

After cleaning the bits of skin and blood out of the trigger guard
I decide to give it a try.

This time I brace the gun on the top part of my leg aim and fire.

All of the sudden I have the stock and lock in one hand and the barrels in the other...

We never found the piece that connected the two.......

I also didn't walk right for a couple days and my voice went up a few octaves....

dev_null
March 29, 2003, 11:55 AM
I don't mind the shotgun, even though I have a glass shoulder, coz I can always use reduced recoil loads and a recoil pad.

I have two votes.

One is the Taurus ultralight snubbie with .357 loads. The recoil would have been OK but the rubber grips did just that (gripped, that is), and 6 shots tore the skin right off of the base of my thumb. If you've got hands that get torn up easily (hey, I used to do construction but I'm a computer geek these days), I recommend going with polished wood grips.

The other is my T/C Encore in .308. Nothing I can't handle -- in fact, I get a charge out of shooting this bad boy! -- but it will definitely rattle your teeth. After one box of ammo my hands are shaking badly enough to affect accuracy.

-0-

12-34hom
March 29, 2003, 12:07 PM
Rhodesian 22, buy far the most recoil from any weapon i've fired so far.

12-34hom.

March 29, 2003, 01:08 PM
Friend who was a dealer back in the early 70's got an original Pasadena .44 Automag and a box of original Norma ammo for it. We took off for the range and proceeded to (literally) tear one of the overhead sheet-metal roof panels loose by firing with the muzzle under instead of outside of the roofline. Recoil would kick the muzzle to about a 12 o'clock position everytime. But WOW was it fun!!!

hksw
March 29, 2003, 01:29 PM
About 3 years ago, some of the first shots through my then new Benelli NOVA Tactical (not recoil reducer installed at the time) were with a couple Sauvestre sabots:

http://www.sauvestre.tm.fr/jpeg/12-76.jpg

1900 fps/muzzle.

2 rounds were all I could handle. The rest of the rounds went through an 1187 which was a little more tolerable but still very stiff.

cratz2
March 29, 2003, 02:02 PM
For shotguns, 3" Remington Sluggers at 17xx fps out of a lightweight 870 Express. It was the first shotgun I bought and the slugs were cheap, the cheapest at the sporting goods store as I recall. I was not pleased. It was so much more than I expected that I wrote Remington a letter letting them know that they should warn poor kids about this. I'm not a big believer in extreme warnings on boxes but they were so cheap that I figured most kids wanting a few slugs to shoot were bound to get them. I shot five shots that were in the box and my buddy shot five though his 11/87 the rest are still in the bottom of one of my gun cabinets.

I figured it out one time. I think the recoil was around 45 ft/lbs. This is more than the Garrett hot 45/70 loads and equal to about the hotter 375 H&H loads or light 416 Rigby loads.

meathammer
March 29, 2003, 02:06 PM
Probably shooting 12ga. 3 1/2 inch magnum "T" shot out of my Browning BPS. That'll wake you up in the morning. My buddy's Weatherby .30-378 was pretty stout too.

ed dixon
March 29, 2003, 02:25 PM
So far, 158 gr. high-velocity loads out of a .357 snubnose.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
March 29, 2003, 02:55 PM
When my brother was about 8 and I was about 10, our grandfather had a bolt-action 20 gauge shotgun, maybe a Glenfield or something equally cheap. One crisp fall afternoon we had been pestering him to let us 'go shoot'. I had more experience with longarms than my brother, naturally, and Papa let him fire first. My brother prompty figured out that his heavy coat kept him too far from the trigger and placed the butt of the shotgun under his arm, between his ribs and his upper arm and lit it up.

At least it didn't cost him his front teeth (he didn't have his permanent ones in yet at the time) when the recoil gave him a harelip. One thing about bolt-action shotguns...sometimes the back of the bolt is pointy.

He screamed, dropped the shotgun and ran wailing all the way back to the cabin. My grandfather would deny this now, but we looked at eash other and laughed the whole way as we watched him imitating a firetruck all the way back. My grandmother made a a chocolate pie for my brother who soon lost interest in shooting shotguns for several years after that.

Regards,
Rabbit.

"If we could just get everyone to close their eyes and visualize world
peace for an hour, imagine how serene and quiet it would be until
the looting started..."

Tamara
March 29, 2003, 03:01 PM
Ruger No.1 in .416 Rigby, firing really stout handloads.

I was pretty much done for the day halfway through the first shot. :eek:

280PLUS
March 29, 2003, 03:30 PM
the clip ofthe middle eastern gentleman popping off some heavy duty looking rifle? it knocks him down, spins back over his shoulder and breaks the glass in the door behind him (indoor range) he then utters something in arabic that probably translated to "HOLY S***"

it was great cause you could go frame by frame and have a great laugh all the way through, i wish i could find it...

lmao @ Tamara "1/2 way through the first shot"

uh oh, getting too much time on puter grief from so

l-l-l-later...

:evil:

Drjones
March 29, 2003, 06:48 PM
280:

That would be the .577 T-Rex.

Someone mentioned it above, and this link was at the top of the search list:

http://www.accuratereloading.com/videos.html

They are HYSTERICAL!!!

Be warned: They are large vids...several mb each...

Not a prob for me since I have fiberoptic internet. :cool:

:neener:

Thumper
March 29, 2003, 06:51 PM
Not a prob for me since I have fiberoptic internet.

Pshaw...get current! I have the .500 Tyrannosaur video on my Pocket PC phone edition. :neener:

Drjones
March 29, 2003, 07:01 PM
Pshaw...get current! I have the .500 Tyrannosaur video on my Pocket PC phone edition

You have a cell phone that shoots the .500 T-Rex???

;)

sanchezero
March 29, 2003, 08:31 PM
Rapid firing the .50 Beowulf.

Lots of fun, but there was a price...

:)

ArMa
March 30, 2003, 03:10 AM
I shot my buddy's .338 lapua mag whew that damn near took my sholder off, he only had like a 1/2" recoil pad on it. Hes personally only shot it about 10 times 5 to sight in and 5 for 5 elk.

nczervik
March 30, 2003, 06:49 AM
My Uncle's 10 ga. single shot w/3.5" 00 buck.1 box of shells will
last 5 years!:eek:

Butch
March 30, 2003, 09:37 AM
What only an idiot would try; 45-70 American derringer.

What does that say about me?

http://www.emotipad.com/emoticons/Beam%20Up.gif

45King
March 30, 2003, 09:39 AM
I once had a Ruger M77 in .30-06 that would cause "scope eye" no matter how it was held, no matter what load was used. I would prefer to shoot a .458 Win Mag or a .375 H&H Mag over that particular gun.
Worst was when I was 11 yrs old at the Citadel Summer Camp. I had signed up for trap shooting as an extracuricular activity, and I was the youngest and smallest one. I got stuck with a standard Browning A-5 in 12 ga., using trap loads. They only threw 16 birds for me, and I broke 'em all-at the cost of creating a bruise that covered my right arm from elbow to shoulder, and the right half of my ribcage, too. It hurt like all get out if I thought about it, but I was so pleased at having shot 100%, it didn't bother me too much at the time.

.454 Casull in a Raging Bull is no fun, period. One round is two too many.

280PLUS
March 30, 2003, 09:49 PM
still as funny as ever, i never knew there were so many.

even with all the towels and stuff i couldnt help laughing along with them guys,,,

oh, i got the dsl...

so back at ya...

:neener:

JOE MACK
March 30, 2003, 10:31 PM
:what: The upper limit in a handgun for me would be my .416 Rigby Encore. In a rifle, probably the Nyati as I've broken collar bones and shoulders several times and am getting a little sensitive in the area. RKBA!

TechBrute
March 30, 2003, 11:07 PM
Shotgun: Both barrels with 3" loads. Stupid stupid stupid...
Handgun: .454 Casull (spelling?)
Rifle: A 460 something-or-other. Ouch.

I'd have to say that the shotgun was the worst. I literally saw stars after that.

landon74
March 30, 2003, 11:22 PM
My scandium framed smith, in .357 Magnum, is without question the worst I've ever felt. As bad as 129 gr Hydrashocks are, the 158 gr softpoints are twice as bad.

Big_R
March 30, 2003, 11:46 PM
I have three to mention:

First is a first generation AMT backup in .380. That spur on top of the grip is no fun.

Second is a Ruger SP101 in .357. Handloads are fun, but painful.

The only firearm that ever injured me is a NEF Tamer Tracker (the only one I've ever seen). It's a single shot 12 ga with a pistol grip, and a 20 inch barrel. I have handguns that weigh more than this shotgun. Anyway, a 3" 000 buck dislocated my right trigger finger. I remember the fingers on my left hand snapping the palm of my hand as the gun jumped from my grip. Took a while for my finger to heal.

Ryan

Drundel
March 30, 2003, 11:53 PM
I have had two .454, I traded my Taurus on a SRH 9.5 and thats not that bad. .44 Vaquero has been the worst I've ever shot.

Shooting 3.5 goose loads knock me pretty good too.

jhisaac1
March 31, 2003, 12:34 AM
Ah, the memories.
My dad has a JC Penney's bolt 16 gauge shotgun that he got back in the nether reaches of time. Whatever material they made the butt pad out of has long since petrified. The first time I shot it I was probably 12 +/- a year or two. He really should have stressed the importance of holding the gun tight into my shoulder. I guess that lesson is one you have to learn.

The other memorable time was shooting some clay pigeons with a guys goose loads. 10 Guage, 3-1/2", 2-1/2 oz. It was cool, but I felt like I was shooting pigeons with a mule.

Not me, but when I was in basic back at Ft. Leonard Wood, we had one guy in the company who just wasn't clicking with military life. He complained, in front of the company, to the DI's, that his M-16 had heavy recoil.:rolleyes: (I kind of felt sorry for him, on top of everything else, and there was plenty, he was blessed with an easily modified name.)

jhisaac1

Archie
March 31, 2003, 12:34 AM
It's a two shot "howdah" pistol, chambered for 577 Snyder. It shoots 28 guage shotgun shells, too.

Somewhere, I have a picture of me shooting it, but I can't find that one right now.

Okay... the picture isn't attaching.:(

natedog
March 31, 2003, 12:51 AM
Well, one time when I tried to shoot my friend's 1911 with defensive loads, it knocked me back and I flew ablout 20 feet threw the air. Also, the beavertail had to be surgically removed from my forehead. :neener:

Andrew Wyatt
March 31, 2003, 01:14 AM
nate dog: hrrm. that's odd. I started shooting my daddy's lightweight commander at age seven, and found the recoil with remington golden saber +P 230 grain ammo to be mild and easily controllable. are you considerably smaller than avarage and/or have a chronic muscle disease?

actually the stoutest recoil i have ever experienced was out of a savage scout in .308. i think the recoil pad actually accellerates the rifle.

Mike Irwin
March 31, 2003, 01:41 AM
You know, I forgot to mention Moderator Mal's NAA .380...

I fired it a few months ago at the NRA range. No way, no how, never again!

The shape of the grip and whatnot made it PERFECT for catching the ball of the first joint on my thumb with every shot. 1 shot stang, 3 shots hurt like hell, and by the end of the 6 shot (?) magazine I had decided that that gun was NOT for me. Ever.

Azrael256
March 31, 2003, 01:48 AM
*sigh*... mine had more to do with stupidity.

Took some friends clay shooting for the first time. A friend had a misfire, and he immediately ejected the shell. So, after waiting to see if it would go off, I picked it up and said "lemme show ya' something," like I'm some kind of big badass. I drop it in an Ithica double 12, snap it shut, and pull the trigger... now, here's the deal. I only half expected the shell to go off, and I only half expected that I had the right trigger, so I didn't bother to tuck in the gun nice and close. I'm talking 2-3" between the butt and my shoulder... *BOOM* Turns out it was a soft pin strike. I demolished a clay doing it, and everybody was real impressed, but oh man did that hurt.

Didorian
March 31, 2003, 02:10 AM
I don't get to shoot often, and when I do, it isn't much...
So far.... the worst recoil I've felt is from my model97 winchester in 30/30....

HOWEVER...... I was sitting on the back of a duce and a half when I think the sargent said somewhere around 100lbs of C4 was detonated on the range....
The "recoil" tossed medium sized pieces of steel out of the range and out for about a good 70-80 yards... and rocks, well I was more concerned about the ones comeing down ONmy head than the ones that went OVER my head...LoL

beemerb
March 31, 2003, 02:49 AM
510 express.It is a 460 necked to 50 cal.Gun was a model 70 winchester.No muzzle break.I shot it twice to prove how tough I was.Stupid but fun
Bob

NRA4LIFE
March 31, 2003, 03:21 PM
My single shot 10 gauge loaded with 3 1/2" mag turkey loads, shot for the first time. I was sitting on the ground up against the front of a shooting bench. Bad idea. Recoil was horrendous. Darn near cracked my skull open when my head slammed into the shooting bench after the shot.

rock jock
March 31, 2003, 03:59 PM
I used to think that 3 1/2 "T" loads for Goose hunting were bad until I tried 3" magnum slugs. After 5 I had a serious headache.

For handguns, I guess .44 magnum 330-gr. Garrett Hammerheads out of a Ruger SRH.

Jmurman
March 31, 2003, 04:19 PM
.340 Weatherby Mag...to be sure

aerod1
March 31, 2003, 04:46 PM
Handgun would have to be a 454 Casull.
Rifle would be NEF Handi-Rifle in 45-70
Shotgun would be a 10 ga. while goose hunting.

Jim Hall

Mike Irwin
March 31, 2003, 04:48 PM
"510 express.It is a 460 necked to 50 cal.Gun was a model 70 winchester.No muzzle break.I shot it twice to prove how tough I was.Stupid but fun"

Bob,

Is the .510 express the same as the .495 A-Squre, or is it a different cartridge?

Blackhawk
March 31, 2003, 04:52 PM
12 guage as a kid. Learned to never give a shotgun a running start.... :uhoh:

P95Carry
March 31, 2003, 05:14 PM
Cannot remember now if I posted earlier! :p

Anyways ..... my Parker Hale copy of the Enfield 2 Band Musketoon is I think the most vicious for recoil ... if really ''stoked''! I can load from 2 1/2 drams to 3 1/2 drams of powder ...... FFF usually ........ behind a .577 cal minnie ....... the gun is not that heavy and when really stoked is BRUTAL!!!

Anyone seen those vid clips of the Tyranosaurus being shot?? It's not too far off that!:D

NukemJim
March 31, 2003, 05:29 PM
"What only an idiot would try; 45-70 American derringer.

What does that say about me?"

Do not feel bad I did the same thing. Top barrell was .357 Ouch!
even after firing that I was crazy/stupid enough to fire the bottom barrell of .45-70. !#@%$&* my hand hurt for a month I considered getting a Nuclear Med Bone Scan to see if the bone was broken ( see my tag ) I KNOW it was bruised.

But at least I can rest assured no other handgun will be that bad.

NukemJim

Strings
March 31, 2003, 06:04 PM
When I picked up my 'Mag, I did some checking to make sure I was loading safe ammo. The Automag was designed to throw a 240gr @ 1250fps... no more, no less. At more than that, you run a risk of damaging the pistol (and it's my understanding that Norma ammo was actually hotloaded). At less than 1250, she doesn't cycle (1250, ok. 1220, doesn't lock back reliably)...

So... the Automag has never presented a problem for me (as much steel as it has out away from ya, there ain't much recoil). However, shooting a 3" mag 00 out of a pistol grip Mossy 500 was interesting. Shot from the hip, and punched myself in the navel in the process...

rick458
March 31, 2003, 06:10 PM
My Winchester Super Express in .458 Win Mag, 510 gr softpoints
8.5 lb stock recoil pad. shooting it felt like getting hit by a toyota
but 1.5 lb of lead shot in the butt, a Muzzlebrake, and 400 gr trophy bondeds made her a pussycat

beemerb
March 31, 2003, 06:58 PM
Mike a different caridge.According to caridges of the world(Had to look it up as I never heard of the .495 A-square) it is made on th e458 win mag case.The .510 isn't in the book at all but I found out it was designed by Fred Wells here in Prescott.
Bob

Mastrogiacomo
March 31, 2003, 07:10 PM
Scary how many long guns are mentioned because I was hoping to buy a good shotgun.:uhoh: By far the worst for me was the S&W 442 -- never made it through a box -- three rows left when I sold it. I'll stick with my Berettas...:D

Mike Irwin
March 31, 2003, 09:43 PM
Beem,

Which edition of COTW do you have? Mine's the 7th, and is admittedly out of date and falling apart. I need to get to the book store.

I'm a little confused, though. Your COTW says the .495 A-Square is made on the .458 Win. Mag. case? Mine says it's based on the .460 Weatherby case because Alphin had a bad experience with the .458 Win. Mag.

I

Mk VII
April 1, 2003, 04:00 AM
a Boyes anti-tank rifle converted to .50 BMG without a muzzle brake. Definitely too much gun.
The same thing in .55 Boyes with the brake was much better, a good solid shove but not intolerable (decent ear protection a must though)

Labinnac
April 1, 2003, 11:49 AM
My friends and I did lots of stupid things while we were in high school. Most of the time it involved doing cruel things to each other "jackass" style.

My one friend had acquired a .32 muzzleloaded 3 barrel duckfoot pistol that had a rather quirky firing mechanism. It would usually fire within 4 or 5 attempts. One day, he decides to triple load all three barrels with wadding and no bullets. He asks if I'd like to shoot it, and of course I fell for it. It went off on the first pull, probably for the first time ever since he owned it. I remember standing in a huge white cloud with a numb hand for a while...

Carlos Cabeza
April 1, 2003, 12:01 PM
I have shot that Garrett stuff out of my Vaquero, OUCH !:D
I guess I wasn't holding the gun securely or something, but I
decided to save them for hunting only....... :o

Tamara
April 1, 2003, 12:58 PM
But at least I can rest assured no other handgun will be that bad.

Sort of a "eat a live frog for breakfast, and nothing worse will happen for the rest of the day" thing, huh? ;)

RustyHammer
April 1, 2003, 02:11 PM
Does the Bean Burrito "surprise" at Taco Bell count? (It should!)

Missouri Mule
April 1, 2003, 02:34 PM
it was from the fyin pan the old lady smacked me up sid ethe head with when she found my last unauthorized gun purchase.:neener: :neener: :neener:

FNFiveSeven
April 1, 2003, 03:03 PM
is one of those rounds that can be anywhere between not-so-bad and the worst ever... it all depends on what bullet out of which model revolver. I have a 7 1/2 inch bbl FA revolver with double trapezoidal magnaports and if you fire 260 grainers out of it, it's got less perceived recoil than most .44 mags. On the other hand, go try to shoot one of those 360 grainers out of the 5 inch unported bbl version, and... well.... :what: :uhoh:

Johnny Guest
May 6, 2003, 12:58 PM
- - -I had a Browning .375 H&H bolt rifle. A friend gave it to me to "try it out." This was an original, built on the slickest Mauser action I've handled. Beautifully figured wood, finely checked. A blue job you could almost look down into. Fairly heavy, with a modest little recoil pad. A really great looking rifle, which felt very good.

One box of 270 gr. factory loads came with it. I was so certain I would love shooting this classic rifle that I bought a box of new brass, dies, bullets, etc., and assembled some less-than-max loads. Purchased and mounted a receiver peep sight.

This was a horrible afternoon! I shot a .30'06 and a light 8X57 for fun back then, but I couldn't find a way to hold that .375 so it wouldn't hurt. Finally got it sighted in from a standing rest, with a sandbag between my shoulder and the butt. Couple of decent groups, but at the price of a LOT of pain.

I believe I lasted about 15 rounds total. Went back to the seller and cried "UNCLE!" I was grateful he was a good enough pal that he'd insisted on my shooting it before closing the deal. I gave him the dies, sight, and components . . . .

Several years later, another friend had a .375 Model 70 at the range. He wasn't shooting well that day, and insisted I check it out. I must explain that this was one of the fairly early POST 64 M70s, with all that was wrong with 'em. Cruddy looking piece, muddy blue, light-colored stock with zero grain, crude checking, not near heavy enough for the big ol' cartridge - - -everything wrong. It DID have a decent trigger, though, and a mid-grade scope.

My first three shots, Winchester factory ammo, went under an inch-and-a-half! Recoil seemed no worse than my .30'06! The judge insisted that I try another load. This group was just under an inch! Just the difference in rifles, I guess . . . :D

Best,
Johnny

braindead0
May 6, 2003, 01:05 PM
Shot a 12ga pistol grip aluminum and titanium shotgun with 3" slugs, darn near broke my wrist! Thing couldn't have weight more than 2 pounds...

My friend traded it off for something else shortly thereafter.

Calamity Jane
May 6, 2003, 01:21 PM
Me: Ruger .454 Casull. YEE-OUCH!!!! :what:

Hubby: Marlin .45-70 with Buffalo Bore ammo. Without a recoil pad. He had a big ol' bruise on his shoulder for a week. He loved shooting, it though. Guess he's a glutton for recoil. :p

Darrin
May 6, 2003, 01:28 PM
My buddy at work had me take his pistol grip 12 guage to the range for him. He had shells that were getting old and asked me to shoot them up. It wasn't until after I fired it and it came out of my hand that I noticed he had magnums in it. That was 4 weeks or so ago and I still feel it at the bottom of my thumb when I shoot my 9mm now.

Aside from that, my other buddy's Rem 700 in 7mm magnum has been shot by myself only once. It hurt, I won't do it again. (I'm only 130lbs... :rolleyes: )

D.W. Drang
May 6, 2003, 01:33 PM
"No 'squat', there I was on the DFMZ, outta linked ammo for Ma Deuce so I picked her up and fired her offhand one round at a time... When I ran out of .50 BMG I grabbed the Mk19, but the tripod was smashed so I had to fire it from the hip..." :neener:

"But seriously folks..." Based on eyewitness acconts it wuld have to be the time I wasofffered a chance to try a few rounds from the sprterized Springfield this old (then; now I would say he was on the young side of middle age) gentleman had at the range. It was my first "shot", so to speak, at a full sized rifle, and I honestly didn't think it kicked so bad, but the witnesses were laughing their @$$es off because my shoulder went back about a foot.
My father was rolling on the ground, which considering that I KNOW how recoil-sensative he is, I now think was kinda unfair...:mad:
I remember Dad coming home from annual qualification at the Detroit PD range with bruises all over his upper right arm from the "Start at port arms and quickly aim and fire your shotgun" exercise--he always qualified expert but he was so fast about it that he usually mounted that 12 gauge pump on his upper arm instead of his shoulder...:cuss:

And, Jane, the Marlin w/straight stock, no recoil pad and shooting Garret .45-70 loads is pretty brisk too...:what:

Gmac
May 6, 2003, 01:41 PM
155 mm. split trail howitzer. Lanyard rope was always in short supply so the A.G. had to slap the hammer with his hand to fire. Wasn't quick enough once when using maximum charge----- it really hurt!!!!!! (Still have scars on my hand 34 years later.)

H Romberg
May 6, 2003, 01:49 PM
I once loaded up my .50 hawken with WAY too much fffg and a 550 gr. Maxi Ball. It would have been allright if I hadn't been young, stupid, and had my finger on the (don't breathe on it) set trigger with the brass pointy part of the butt plate still on its way to firing position. I thought I'd broken my shoulder, and the bruise from that brass piece stayed with me for months. Taught me the lesson though. I NEVER touch the trigger till I'm ready to fire. :o

12.7x99mm
May 6, 2003, 01:49 PM
In the words of Jeff Cooper - " Recoil - Ignore it"

First time I ever fired a 45/70 was just after I saw a 12 year old little skinny girl shoot four rounds and then her pop handed me two rounds and I looked at them and then I looked at her.

:confused: :uhoh: Sure why not...BANG ! BANG! :D

Maddock
May 6, 2003, 02:19 PM
Rifle -
When I was eighteen, a family friend let me shoot his Model 70 in 375 H&H. He had lightened it up for ease of carrying. All up, it probably weighed 7½ pounds. After a dozen or so practice rounds that had a 220gr. cast at about 1600fps, I tried some 270 silvertips. OUCH. Being eighteen and male, I kept firing. After the first four or so the shoulder started to turn numb. By the time I finished a half box, I couldn’t lift my elbow above my shoulder. The next day I had a bruise the size of my hand with the fingers spread.

Shotgun –
When I was thirteen, I fired BOTH barrels of a SxS 20 gauge at once without the butt firmly in the pocket of my shoulder. Knocked me on my backside, but I kept the kept the muzzle downrange and the gun didn’t get a scratch.

Handgun – three way tie –
Ithaca stakeout in 12 gauge with a 2 3/4” magnum slug, fired one-handed.
Four inch Model 29 with Magna stocks firing LBT 320s at about 1400fps.
Titanium Chiefs Special with full bore .357 mag.

CMichael
May 6, 2003, 02:26 PM
I recently had an experience with 1750 FPS slugs for my 12 gauge. It bruised my cheek.

MeekandMild
May 6, 2003, 02:49 PM
Walther PPK-S shooting .32 hardball nearly tore the top of my hand off. Blood everywhere.

RandyB
May 6, 2003, 07:11 PM
12 hour old bean buritos from the Mexican phone company (Taco Bell):D

a .62 smoothbore loaded with a "huge amount" of #6 shot behind 80 grains of FFF.

Bowlcut
May 6, 2003, 08:34 PM
As Darrin said....our friends Rem 700 in 7mm mag kicks like a donkey. I got a bit of scope eye....well forhead cause of it :D.

Or other coworkers 12 guage mossburg loaded with 3 1/2 inch magnums 00 buck I do believe. Thought about grabing some slugs for it to really pound our hands ... But that thing was a hand full thats for sure. Dang pistol grips bite ya a bit

OEF_VET
May 6, 2003, 11:05 PM
An old H&R Topper single shot 12 ga., put about 20 3" slugs and about 20 rounds of 00 buck through it. When I got to Ft. Benning a week later, the Drill Sgt's were curious as to where the bruise came from.

enfield
May 7, 2003, 11:14 AM
12 gauge slugs in a pump gun from the prone position. Each shot moved me backwards in the gravel.

mohican
May 7, 2003, 11:43 AM
.460 Weatherby Magnum has the most recoil of any gun I've fired

My NEF single shot rifled 12 gauge with 3" activs or brennekes is also quite stout. I've destroyed several shotgun specific scopes on it.

general
May 8, 2003, 09:29 AM
For pain - not much beats the poor design of a Lorcin 9mm grip safety... Designed by a master of pain. Had a bone bruise on the base of my thumb for at least a month.

duckfoot
July 23, 2003, 03:46 AM
Unknown 10 gauge bolt action shooting ammo as follows

Federal slugshell
No. Gauge Slug LengthInches/MM Slug Wgt.Ounces / Grains
F103RS 10 3 1/2 / 89 1 3/4 / 766

Velocity in Feet Per Second
(To Nearest 10 FPS)
Muzzle 25 Yds 50 Yds 75 Yds 100 Yds
1280 1160 1080 1020 970

OUCH!!!

only1asterisk
July 23, 2003, 04:09 AM
See video at the link marked Ignorance in my signature.

I'm going to get one of these soon.

The line to shoot it starts in front of me!

David

Stoker
July 23, 2003, 04:43 AM
Last weekend I fired my new Marlin 1894 with factory 44 magnum ammunition - don't know the propellant load but 240 grain bullets marked on the box. A very painful recoil! Much worse than the 7.62 NATO and 0.303 Brit I was also firing.

But a very flat trajectory - fired to point of aim at 100 yards with the lowest sight setting. Still, I'm going to get some padding for my shirt for the next time I shoot this stuff.

goalie
July 23, 2003, 04:48 AM
470 NE double rifle with solids. Made my .375 H&H seem like a .22

P95Carry
July 23, 2003, 12:08 PM
Duckfoot ........ hell man ........ I hope that gun was heavy!!

MV 1280 ...... projectile 766grn

Damn that's 2787 ft lbs at muzzle ....... ''Elephant gun''??!!:D Ouch indeed.

RocketMan
July 23, 2003, 12:47 PM
A long time ago, on an ocean far, far away, had a 3"-50 mount fire almost over my shoulder. At least it seemed that way.
I was on deck on an LST, leaning over the railing admiring the view, when they decided to do a little gunnery practice. I guess the swabbies forgot to notify anyone they were going to do that.
No restrictions on being on deck, no PA announcements, nothing.
I was back through the hatch and down below before the sound cleared.

Does that count?

mephisto
July 23, 2003, 12:50 PM
.454, not fun.

4v50 Gary
July 23, 2003, 12:54 PM
Rifle - 416 Rigby. Much worse than the .458 Win Mag. that was ported.

Handgun - Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casull. Three shots and my wrists were painfully limp. Don't need joint problems when I'm older so I desisted after only three. Even the .44 Mag felt light in comparison.

I doubt though that either was like GMAC's slapping a 155 mm howitizer. :) Man, I'd use a stick and beat it instead.

Dannyboy
July 23, 2003, 03:39 PM
After 4th of July weekend, I would definitely say it's my buddy's 25lb. .50 cal rifle. Every time I squeezed te trigger it was like being punched in the head. Cool as hell to shoot but not too comfy.

mjydrafter
July 23, 2003, 04:54 PM
In high school I had a friend who's dad had a nice collection of lefty Weatherbys, he was feeling generous and let us try the .460 (I'm sure he was giggling when he let us try it). Good experience, but I won't be adding one to my collection. 1 round was enough, plus the whole $8 p/rd, I don't think he would've let us fire it any more, and like I said 1 was plenty. I guess the adrenilene of a 5000 lb Cape or an elephant running at you would make it a little less noticeable, but that immobile paper target didn't get it pumping. I actually hit it, though.:)

McPherson
July 23, 2003, 05:33 PM
The worst recoil from a handgun that i've endured was from a friend's 3" lightweight .357 mag. After 7 rds i was completely dissuaded from the concept of lightweight small-frame magnums.

The worst recoil from a rifle i've felt was a Rem 700 in .300 win mag with no muzzlebrake that a friend of mine has. That is a gun that will make you flinch.

tango3065
July 23, 2003, 05:49 PM
The first time I fired a 50cal bmg, the second time I had learnt to put it tight against my shoulder!:D

bogie
July 23, 2003, 05:55 PM
Mossy 500 with a pistol grip.

12 gauge magnum buckshot.

Ain't gonna do that again unless someone is gonna shoot me, _and_ it looks like they might aim.

dave5339
July 23, 2003, 05:58 PM
Try a TC Encore Super 16" in 45-70. Loaded to a max load for a strong action, shooting a 405 grn bullet.

The owner of this creation had put the little plastic carbine stock on it.

After shooting 4 rounds out of this thing I was MORE than ready to stop, not even I was dumb enough to pull the trigger a fifth time!

Semper Fi

Gewehr98
July 23, 2003, 06:24 PM
405gr hard-cast gas-checked Beartooth Bullets, an ungawdly amount of Reloder 7, and a chronograph that read 2100fps. That was gonna be my pig-hunting load. I've since scaled it back to a more sedate 2000fps. ;)

kudu
July 23, 2003, 08:41 PM
.500 Nitro in a Ruger No.1 rifle. I hit the paper plate centered on th efirst round, the second i flinched so bad I missed by two feet. It was only 40 yards away. :o

45R
July 23, 2003, 09:45 PM
During the last THR Shoot at Los Gatos I manage to fire off 15 slugs in less than a minutes. After that I put the 870 down. The rest of the day shooting other folks Garands and SKSs....it seemed like I was shooting BB guns.

I dont recommend shooting a lb on lead in under a minute. :evil:

KC
July 23, 2003, 09:53 PM
I dunno...this months "Double Gun Journal" has an article about some maniac who built himself an 2-bore rifle. Bohze moi, are those shells friggen huge.

KC

nextjoe
July 24, 2003, 12:17 AM
Least fun I've had was a Steyr 8x56R when I was a lil' critter. Plenty of kick, not a whole lot of gun weight to soak it up.

An interesting thing I've noticed is that a light .300 or .338 hurts all out of proportion to what it should. In one afternoon I shot a fair amount with both my .416 Rigby and a friend's lightweight .300 Win Mag. The Rigby was actually more pleasant. There's more recoil with it, it moves you back more, but it's not the nasty, sharp jab I got from the .300. I mentioned this to my gunsmith, and he told me he'd noticed the same thing and had discussed it with Jerry Fisher, who agreed. Light .300s can be nasty.

Of course, it helped that the Rigby weighed around 9.5 pounds and had a Pachmayr Decelerator, and the .300 was maybe 7 pounds all-up and had a hard rubber pad...

Best,
Joe

5ptdeerhunter
July 24, 2003, 12:25 AM
The most recoil was from my NEF 10ga. but the most painful for me was my Mosin Nagant M44, but I have learned to tolerate it most of the time.

coldshot03/04
July 24, 2003, 12:41 AM
Magnum Research Lone Eagle 30-06.
Stoeger 10ga. Double barrel.

New_comer
July 24, 2003, 02:43 AM
My first shot with a 12 ga shotgun firing 00 buck.

I forgot to squeeze the butt into my shoulder hard enough... :(

Sactown
July 24, 2003, 02:49 AM
Mosin Nagant M38 and M44 pretty much did it for me so far. I usually have to take a break after 20rnd out of the M38. Just not comfortable...then you start to develop a twitch and cringe when you squeeze the trigger.

Bostonterrier97
July 24, 2003, 03:08 AM
Red Ryder BB Gun...

hansolo
July 24, 2003, 03:33 AM
I also felt the "mule kick" of the 12 Gauge: I recently visited my brother-in-law in Texas. We saw a rattler slithering down his driveway. "Wanna blow it apart?", he said. "Sure!", I responded. This is the closest I've come to hunting. He handed me his Remington pump and a box of shells. I sheepishly told him I have a lot more experience with handguns. He said to just shove the shells in and kill the damn snake. I knew enough to pull the butt really tightly intomy shoulder: see snake, shoulder the shotgun ....KABOOM....OWWWWW! The stock slid off my shoulder and slamed into my right bicep....really interesting colors
of bruising. Later that day, I "got back on the horse" and let my shoulder take the pounding. I guess I need to work out.:rolleyes:

TekChef
July 24, 2003, 03:49 AM
Being the little guy that I am-5'8", 130 lbs...them big bore rifles have a tendancy to really whallop and move me!

I had fired my stepfather's 7mm rem mag....I can handle it quite well ifI crank it down tight.

I went to the range with his boss who wanted to go safari hunting(red light number 1!).
I fired his Garand..I LOVE that rifle!
HE then said...try this one...

I took of my glasses, got into position, cranked it as hard as Ic ould into me...squeezed the trigger...

WHAM!!! :what:

Darn thing snapped up, the scope ring gave me a small cut on my forehead and it about knocked me out of the seat.

I think it was a .375H&H..or some other .370 area magnum(Weatherby, etc)..and these we hot hand loads!

That was my whole day of shooting right there! Gave me a huge bruise, and it hurt to raise my arm for a few days.

Rule of thumb-
.300winmag is the LIMIT for me and that sucker HURTS.
...a .460 weatherby would prob break my collarbone!

.30-04 and .308 are enough for me thanks!:D

KRAUTGUNNER
July 24, 2003, 05:07 AM
The worst recoil I've had experienced was from a .378 Weatherby Magnum (Weatherby Mark V).

A so-called "hunter" had bought that rifle to hunt wild boar out to 300 meters.

After he realized that the .378 is totally unsuitable for wild boar due to tremendous destruction of the venison, he never used it again for hunting purposes.

A few times he took it to the shooting range (that's where I tried it), but the recoil was too much for him.

Nowadays that awesome shooting stick is just a safe queen! :banghead:

WHAT A LOUSY NERD!!! :mad: :fire: :cuss: :barf:

only1asterisk
July 24, 2003, 05:18 AM
The 378 Weatherby is the queen of nasty kickers! High recoil velocity makes for some serious pain. Such rifles could make a person's flinch permanent. I don't use muzzlebrakes, but it one rifle might make then worth the hearing loss, this is it.

Good thing is that they can be rebarrel to other fun calibers.

David

bogie
July 24, 2003, 11:56 AM
First rule of thumb: If it hurts to fire it offhand, standin' up, it'll REALLY hurt if you shoot it off the bench.

lee n. field
July 24, 2003, 01:47 PM
AYA Matador, 20gauge side-by-side. Funky trigger -- if the selector is to one side (I forget which), both barrels fire. BOOM! A bit stout.

Rickstir
July 24, 2003, 03:13 PM
"Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

"I do."

Haven't stopped reeling since :D

RandyB
July 24, 2003, 05:06 PM
"Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

Preach it brother.

Dionysusigma
July 24, 2003, 06:13 PM
Not the first, or second, but the 440th consecutive 7.62 x 54R I put through my M44 today. What can I say, I had to let off some steam... :banghead:

...ow...:uhoh:

dandean316
July 25, 2003, 10:48 AM
I was pretty bummed a lot of you mentioned the kick of the S&W airlights. I was all set to pick up the 342PD which is 10.8 oz, or the .357 version which is 12 oz., but I think I will have to ask around and see if I can fire one first. I think I'd be ok with .38's, but was more thinking of one for my wife, who is a little recoil sensative. Add that to the stress of a CC situation, and who knows where the 5 shots would go.

Newt
July 25, 2003, 11:06 AM
When you're shooting at a Turkey, you don't really feel much, but when you're trying to pattern your gun and see which shells shoots best out of which choke, you start hurtin' after a while. Remington 870 Express Magnum with 3 1/2" Turkey loads has got to be the hardest hitting load/gun I've ever shot. Left my shoulder bruised for a week and a half, and I don't bruise easily either.

Newt

Zeke Menuar
July 25, 2003, 02:12 PM
3" Magnum 00 buckshot from a Winchester M1300 Defender. My shoulder still hurts and I sold that gun three years ago.

ZM

JSolie
July 25, 2003, 02:54 PM
I haven't fired anything larger than my Mosin-Nagant M91/30, and that thing kicks like a mule!! Hardwood stock with the metal butt-plate---ouch!

As a souvenier, it gave me a bruise after shooting it about 11 or 12 times last weekend. I wonder how my wife's cousin fared....he helped me finish the box. :confused:

-- John

Chugach
July 25, 2003, 10:40 PM
First rule of thumb: If it hurts to fire it offhand, standin' up, it'll REALLY hurt if you shoot it off the bench.

What bogie said...

.300 Win Mag off the bench hurt more than a .375 H&H offhand.

LeonCarr
July 25, 2003, 11:21 PM
IMNSHO, the .378 Weatherby has more recoil than the .460 Weatherby. I shot one of each at the range one day. I will swear on a stack of 300 grain solids I felt the fillings in my teeth leave after firing the .378.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Schuey2002
July 25, 2003, 11:21 PM
I can't say what it was on the internet. If I did, the BATF would be knocking on my door in the morning.

:uhoh: :uhoh:

[Thankfully, it happened a long.. long time ago and that the gun (which belonged to a friend) no longer exists! ]

Stevie-Ray
July 26, 2003, 12:40 AM
I dunno...this months "Double Gun Journal" has an article about some maniac who built himself an 2-bore rifle. :uhoh: Kee-ripes! That's a half-pound of lead in every shot!

OK, who wants to try it? (crickets chirping )

After reading about Frederick Courtney Selous' adventures with 4-bore rifles, I cannot even fathom a 2-bore.

Legionnaire
July 26, 2003, 12:54 AM
Worst is the one you don't expect. My father-in-law handed me a Mossberg 500 supposedly loaded with 2-3/4" slugs. We were practicing on moving targets by rolling a tire with a cardboard insert down a hill. But he had inserted a 3" magnum 00 buck round into the magazine first, so my last shot was a surprise!

Other than that, most unpleasant recoil has been a T/C Contender in .35 Remington. A couple of shots and the heel of the hand says it's done for the day.

RangerHAAF
July 26, 2003, 02:21 AM
Without a doubt the most powerful rifle that I've ever shot was a .378 Weatherby that a guy in my platoon owned. It felt and sounded like an artillery piece on my shoulder. I've read that it is the most powerful rifle in the world and this notation includes the larger caliber Weatherbys and the famous Nitro Express elephant guns. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the worst recoil you have ever endured?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!