I wasnt trying to troll.. or make a "hate" thread...

PDA

ruger270man
September 30, 2005, 03:37 PM
I was just stating that I must be an odd-ball, because I have no desire for a 1911. :confused:

I'm not saying theyre bad guns.. they must be great. Geez

If you enjoyed reading about "I wasnt trying to troll.. or make a "hate" thread..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasRifleman
September 30, 2005, 03:44 PM
Well, you certainly have the right to not like the 1911, but you've chosen the one that the largest percentage of gun folks DO like to be the one you don't, so you'll have to expect some friction :D

I have to say I used to feel the same way about revolvers.

I always laughed at the wheelgun folks, growing up in the 80's watching all the TV shows and movie stars with their fancy Bren Tens etc. and only lowly old John Wayne with his silly old revolver in black and white on Saturday mornings.

Spend 15 years making fun of them.

Then out of nowhere I tried one again, now that's pretty much all I buy.

Strange.

So what is it that the 1911 does to you you don't like? It is my favorite of the autoloaders, and I'm genuinely curious why someone wouldn't like it.

Paco
September 30, 2005, 04:08 PM
Ruger270man,

If this was 1692, and we were in a quaint little town called Salem, I think you'd wind up on a stake and me setting the torch to the pile beneath your feet. :evil:

You'll find that the 1911 is a things that's far more than the sum of its parts. It's a sub-culture, an artifact of history, a theme. It's far, far more than just 'something that goes bang'.

I commend you for the fortitude it takes to be a black sheep among sheep armed with 1911s!

at-home-daddy
September 30, 2005, 05:23 PM
I'd tread softly, R270...creating a new thread to complain about a previous one that got locked is probably not too smart and a good way to get yourself banned. But this isn't my sandbox and I don't set the rules, so do as you will.

Stephen A. Camp
September 30, 2005, 05:23 PM
Hello. I don't think you're an "oddball" because of your preference for Glocks. They are a most popular pistol in most calibers. I own a couple of them and they've never failed to fire or function properly and this (rightfully in my view) endears them to many shooters.

Speaking only for myself, they don't point as well for me. That obviously isn't true for others.

Lots of Glock pistols out there and lots of Glock fans; not a thing in the world wrong about that in my opinion.

Best.

MTMilitiaman
September 30, 2005, 05:43 PM
You'll find that the 1911 is a things that's far more that the sum of its parts. It's a sub-culture, an artifact of history, a theme. It's far, far more than just 'something that goes bang'.

You mean when, and if, it does actually go "bang?" :uhoh: :neener:

I think that of the four or five autopistols I have experience on, my preferences are:

1. Glock 20
2. HK USP 45
3. Ruger P90
4. Springfield Mil-Spec, slightly customized
5. Beretta M92FS--and it's Taurus cousin

The 1911 seems less comfortable to shoot than the other .45s, to me. That narrow grip gets the web of my hand. Considering he's now dumped over $600 into it, my brother's Springfield is less reliable than all but the HK, IMO has worse sights than the rest of them, including the Glock, which I apparently happen to be the minority in actually getting along with, has less magazine capacity than all but the Ruger, is heavier...I just don't see what all the hubub is about with 1911s and I am sick and tired of reading about them like it is possible to do anything new, exciting, or noteworthy with the design. It may be a good design but I think there are better and I certainly don't see how a market already flooded with the things allows X-manufacture to introduce a 1911 and somehow become front page on all the gun rags. I realize some people get along with them, I am not one, so you can keep them. I think they are rather overrated and if I decide to get a 1911, it will be far in the future when I have nothing else to do and a safe full of pretty much every other design out there.

AirForceShooter
September 30, 2005, 06:07 PM
ohh
towns people with torches, pitchforks, clubs, knives.
It's ok they're not after you.
They're after the monster.
We never told them you didn't like 1911's. Really we didn't.
At least I don't think we did.
Now if you said you liked Glocks, that would be a whole different thing.
Let the burning begin.

AFS

R.H. Lee
September 30, 2005, 06:13 PM
Downright un-'merican. Get a rope. :p

Onmilo
September 30, 2005, 06:17 PM
Awww, I don't care for Rugers.
You have a right to your dislike for 1911s.
People that do like them really don't care if other people don't. :)

torpid
September 30, 2005, 06:20 PM
I find them handsome guns.. I even think it looks better than a Glock.. and I like grip safeties.. i like safeties on a pistol. And they aim well for me.. when I bring them up, the front sight isn't naturally low, and i don't have to tilt the front up just to see the front sight.

Deja vu?
:p

gunfan
September 30, 2005, 06:22 PM
"Holy Jit, Batman!" :what: :eek: :p :banghead: :fire:

Aw, dat's okay. 1911's aren't for everyone. My Mrs. prefers a revolver. I grew up with revovers, but autoloaders have their place too!

"God help me, I DO love it so!" - George Simpson Patton

Me too, General... me too!

Scott

Lone_Gunman
September 30, 2005, 06:45 PM
I don't think anyone with "ruger" in their name out to complain about 1911s.

JohnKSa
September 30, 2005, 11:22 PM
You can not like Glocks or Rugers and say so...but keep it to yourself if you don't like BHPs or 1911s.

Do a search and you'll find innumerable threads about Glocks & Rugers with negative comments about pointability, appearance and safety design--but make identical comments about a 1911 and you're a troll.

Clearly the superiority of some guns will see them through a storm of diatribe while other designs need to be protected from even mildly negative comments. ;)

ruger270man
October 1, 2005, 01:42 AM
I don't think anyone with "ruger" in their name out to complain about 1911s.

I'm not COMPLAINING! I'm just stating that, as of now, I have no desire for them. Obviously they must be a great gun for so many others to like them. Maybe some day I'll change my preference.

But, I dont like the looks of the 1911. Again, this is simply opinion, I think a glock is a better looking pistol. But then again, I used to thiink glocks were hideous looking. Preferences change. Also, a 1911 doesnt point well for me, it points naturally low, and when I bring it up, the front sight is nowhere to be found. Not every gun is for everyone.. many people dislike the feel and grip of a glock, they happen to fit me quite nicely.

I think all black 1911's look pretty good though, like the Kimber LAPD model.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/HGkimber0402_225A.jpg

Powderman
October 1, 2005, 04:24 AM
Hey, MT Militiaman:

The beauty about the 1911 is that you can configure them every which way you want.

Now, if that backstrap is too narrow for your hand, you can cure that in two ways. One is to experiment with grip panels of different thicknesses. The next is to buy a double stack, like a Para or an STI. The nice wide frame really helps to cut down on the recoil.

pauli
October 1, 2005, 07:55 AM
I wasnt trying to troll.. or make a "hate" thread...way i read it, while there was definitely trolling going on, you weren't the one trolling in that thread.

wingman
October 1, 2005, 08:19 AM
1911 are a work of art, Glocks well, they are fine door stops not as good
as steel but function. :D

CajunBass
October 1, 2005, 08:28 AM
I had a 1911 once. A Colt GM, 70 series, 45. It was a really nice gun.

But it was just another gun. I might get another one, one of these days.

DorGunR
October 1, 2005, 08:32 AM
1911 are a work of art, Glocks well, they are fine door stops not as good
as steel but function.

My wife also likes Tupperware.............But I love the 1911. ;)

1 old 0311
October 1, 2005, 09:37 AM
Hi Ruger,

Carried one in Vietnam. Have had two since. Don't have one now and can't see me getting another. I have no need for one.Plenty of better, more modern guns out there that you don't need to spend $1000.00 on just to get to be reliable. Others like them? Good for them.Everybody spends their money in different ways.

Kevin

CAnnoneer
October 1, 2005, 06:17 PM
1911 is a beautiful piece of history, but there simply are far better guns nowadays. Same goes for C96, P08, P38, TT, Nagant. Besides, a 2k price tag makes a normal person stick it in a display box and never fire it. I don't have one and won't get one for these reasons.

Rinehartdv
October 1, 2005, 08:11 PM
I had a fifty year old Colt LW Commander awhile back. I have a 1991a1 LW SS Colt Commander now. Both pistols 100% reliable and dead-on. I've owned just about one of everything it seems, over the years. I keep coming back to the 1911 in pistols and S&W in revolvers. To each his own. Ray

Lonestar.45
October 1, 2005, 08:23 PM
To each his own. There's such variety of handguns these days, there's no reason to be peer pressured into getting something you don't want just because everyone else loves it.

That said, I love my SA GI Champion. It is good and broken in now, has had zero hiccups, and is as smooth as glass. Everyone complains about the small sights, but I'm so used to them it is like second nature. It hits what I am at. In a defensive situation at 7 yds or less (where most likely I'd be using it), I don't need custom low mount tritium sights or one ragged hole type accuracy. Reliability is all I ask. You don't need to spend $1,000 to get one that is reliable either. My GI has proven that to me.

1911 guy
October 2, 2005, 11:19 PM
For me, anyway. I like the 1911 and find many other autos to be lacking in the "pointability" department. So, it stands to reason that if you like the grip angle of the many others, you will not like the 1911. different strokes for different folks, I guess. As for looks, I prefer "classic" (whatever that actually means) in guns as well as cars. Maybe that's why I like muscle cars but can only afford a 6 cyl. Pontiac.

cookekdjr
October 3, 2005, 11:48 AM
I'd never shot a 1911 before. I picked up a friend's mil-spec Springfield 1911 the same day he bought it. Offhand, I emptied the clip as fast as I could pull the trigger, and shot the best group I'd shot in months.
Something about 1911's design makes it a natural pointer for many people, and its a inherently accurate design.
That being said, I prefer the SIG p220. :)
-David

TimboKhan
October 4, 2005, 01:38 AM
Ruger270man,

I am with you on this one. I got no particular problem with 1911's, except for the fact that most of them are way, way to expensive, but when it comes down to it, I love my P90, and I wouldn't trade it off for any 1911. I can't say that I have no desire to own one (again), but if I could only have one .45, my P90 would be it.

dsk
October 4, 2005, 02:25 AM
The reason why there are so many people b****ing about 1911's not being reliable is because there are so many manufacturers of both pistols and aftermarket parts, and quality control is all over the place. I'm talking about the Kimber I had that often wouldn't fire because of a dimensional problem, the Colt that wouldn't feed because of a poorly-fitted extractor, the Auto-Ordinance that was just plain FUBAR, the replacement McCormick thumb safety with a warped through-pin, the Les Baer MS housing with the mainspring hole drilled off-center, and the three Metalform mags with insufficient spot-welding of the baseplates (which fell off).

Don't blame the original design, please. Otherwise feel free to cuss out 1911's all you want.

MTMilitiaman
October 4, 2005, 03:21 AM
Exactly. I see a 1911 and all I see is the price tag, which doesn't seem to fit the features. Why do people complain about the price of SIGs and HKs yet drool over adding yet another $1000+ 1911 to their inventory? Face it--even a cheap 1911 isn't really that cheap when you compare what it offers to other designs. And the expensive ones are ridiculous. I just looked at Detonics web page to day and had to shake my head in amazement. "How is that $1200 worth of pistol?" :scrutiny: :rolleyes:

Whatever. You guys can have em.

foghornl
October 4, 2005, 09:38 AM
My humble 1/50th of $1....

Not everyone is a fan of the 1911-style handgun.

That being said, I have shot a few Gaston's offerings, and they just didn't 'fit' my hands properly...I don't feel that I have a good 'hold' on them. Have shot a Sig once (229 model, maybe ? ?), and while it felt good in my mitts, I couldn't put the lead where I wanted. As far as I know, I have never shot an H&K pistol.

So, I'll stick with JMB's design, and my Ruger KP-90. I am a better shot with those than the Sig & Glock models I have tried.

Stinkyshoe
October 4, 2005, 10:59 AM
I used to be in the tupperware bashing club, and just thought the world of the 1911. While I still admire the history of the 1911, and all the folks that carry it for duty and ccw, my preference is now for the tupperware I swore I'd never love. It comes down partly to economics. Glocks are cheaper and yet provide the same level of combat accuracy(utility). The opportunity cost for owning a 1911 is much greater, therefore the Glock wins. The glock holds more ammo. They point more naturally. With a G21, there is actually something to get ahold of when you grab it. There isn't much that has to be done to make it work and feel right. But for a 1911, a beaver tail is a must, as well as a magwell to make the grip longer. I know I deserve to burn with melting tupperware in hand...but I like glocks more! :eek: :D :p

TimboKhan
October 4, 2005, 02:09 PM
I used to be down on plastic pistols too, but now I own a Taurus 24/7, and I love it. Now, I still prefer steel, and every other one of my 6 pistols is steel, and chances are my next few pistols will be steel, but I opened up my mind a little bit and realized that plastic isn't horrible.

Marshall
October 4, 2005, 05:54 PM
My only problem with the 1911 is the potential for problems seems to be higher than on any guns I have spent my money on. I don't own one but I sure read and hear a lot of troubles with various 1911's. Maybe it's just the ones people jack with that screw up? Other than that, I think they're stud!

Mark8252
October 4, 2005, 10:24 PM
I have a lot of handguns. Both auto and revolvers.
I have two 1911 45's.
I like them but no more than the others.
I like all guns not just one specific type or make.

:) :) :) :)

TonyB
October 5, 2005, 12:10 PM
I shoot Idpa....by far 1911's have the most jams.....Now I'm sure there are ones that are 100%..I just haven't seen them..I owned a Combat Commander that not only jammed,but beat the crap out of the web of my hand...Plus I don't want to have to buy a gun and then put all kinds of money to get it to work.That being said......if YOU love them..go for it....I've seen guys who shoot waaaay better than me use them like they were born with one in their hands.
That's why they make different guns..... ;)

Vitamin G
October 5, 2005, 02:40 PM
I've only shot 2 IDPA matches, but the jam total in my experience is 1911's 0, Glocks 1

If you enjoyed reading about "I wasnt trying to troll.. or make a "hate" thread..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!