Need guidance picking a gun (or two)

PDA

Dollar An Hour
September 30, 2005, 05:21 PM
Hello guys, I'm new to the forum.

First a little background. I know when alot of guys come to a gun forum and ask "which gun" they're a beginner. Also I'm trying to figure out if what I want from a handgun can be done with one piece, or better attempted with two. :)

I've owned a few guns over the years and due to poor judgement and youth ended up selling them all. :banghead: Currently I don't have a handgun at all, sold my last one about a year ago - a S&W .380 Sigma - what a disappointment that thing was. :mad: I bought it after getting my CCW permit. Then I spent some time with it and found it unreliable and not much fun to shoot.

I'm looking to get a gun (maybe two guns) and get back into shooting.

I'm thinking 9mm, for the following uses:

1. Range/Plinker - Needs to be reliable & fun to shoot, would like to get to be a good shot with said weapon.

2. Car Gun - Taking CCW course soon to renew permit. I guess a car gun should be fairly compact. Thought about a .357 revolver, but probably too much muzzle blast. :eek: Unless I can put my earplugs in first. :rolleyes:

3. Home Defense - .357 revolver was my first thought again but the muzzle blast/flash got me thinking maybe a snub .38 or 9mm is a better choice inside a room, and perhaps in the dark?

I've looked around quite a bit and handled quite a few pistols, here is a quick rundown of what I like and don't like. BTW my hands are on the small side of medium so some double stack guns feel too blocky to me or I get into trigger reach issues.

Like - Sig Pro, CZ-75B, Springfield XD :D

Dislike - Walther P99 (uncomfortable grip), HK (pricey!), Glock (feels odd), Beretta (too large), Ruger P89/95 (big blocky grip). :(

Undecided - Kahr (need more info about these, they look great though)

==========================================================

I think it's too much to ask all the above of a gun and expect it to be a decent CCW as well, so I'd probably get a 2nd gun strictly for CCW. The XD Subcompact & Kahr K-9 look good.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Need guidance picking a gun (or two)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pax
September 30, 2005, 05:27 PM
If you're only going to get one gun, I think the SubCompact XD is a decent size for carry, comfortable to shoot, and would be entirely adequate for either home defense or car use. Additionally, if you got the 9mm version, it's really inexpensive to shoot, which is a good thing for someone who is just getting back into shooting and wants to do a lot of it.

Off hand, I'd say you're better off getting one gun for defensive purposes, and becoming entirely familiar with it and able to use it well, than you would be getting two different guns. You could use the money you save to get a basic pistol class or two under your belt -- just for fun, and also because someone who intends to use a weapon in self defense can simply never be too well trained.

But if you would rather get two guns, one for range use and one for HD, I'd suggest getting a subcompact and full-size version of the same basic gun. This makes your practice time much more effective and pertinent.

pax

BamBam-31
September 30, 2005, 05:38 PM
Welcome to THR. :)

First off, when Pax speaks, it's usually best to listen. She's spot on with her advice. ;)

As for which gun, I'd heartily recommend the CZ 75B, plus a Kadet .22 conversion kit. 9mm is plenty for defense, not too hard on the wallet, and the .22 conversion kit will allow you lots of range time with the same exact platform for pennies a shot. If you're looking for something more compact, look at the CZ 75B Compact or the CZ P-01. The Kadet kit works for all of the above.

Good luck.

todd-45
September 30, 2005, 06:34 PM
Sig or XD either one. Both are great. I own one of each, both in 9mm.

HD
September 30, 2005, 07:05 PM
i really like my CZP01 9mm , i can't tell you how happy i am ith CZ's quality and reliability without sounding like an ad for them...
give CZ a major looking at , its worth the time ...
ETA) they make a a 22lr conversion that works great , gives you 2 guns in one ...

f4t9r
September 30, 2005, 09:44 PM
Im a big Sig fan
very reliable and well made check out the P226 in 9mm
or the P220 in 45

A great plinker and cheap to shoot see the Sig Trailside 22

Pietro Beretta
September 30, 2005, 11:01 PM
I have a Springfield XD40 Sub-Compact as my bedside gun. I also have the Insight/Springfield XML light on the rail.
My only real complaint about this gun is there is no place for my pinky to go. However that can be remedied with Pearce Grip Extensions (http://www.xd-hs2000.com/images/New_Ext_03.jpg) If you are going to carry this piece, you might want to budget in a re-finishing job, I hate to admit it but the XD Finnish is sub-par than most.

I have put about 1000 rounds through the XD now, I had 1 failure when a round failed to seat completely in the chamber at about round 80.

I also own the CZ75 Compact, it is also an excellent shooter. Recoil will be less in this all steel firearm. However since it is all steel, it will be heavier as well.
I have put 300 rounds through the CZ withought a failure to speak of.

Personally I like both of these firearms equally, they shoot great, you can't go wrong with either of these firearms.

It just depends if you prefer a DAO firearm or a DA/SA type firearm.

Dollar An Hour
October 1, 2005, 10:04 PM
I think the front runners right now are the CZ-75 Compact, the Kahr K-9 and the XD-9 Service 4". These all feel great in hand and I think they could serve as range gun, car gun and house gun pretty well.

With a good rig, they could all carry concealed fairly well too, although the CZ is on the heavy side. It's so hot so much of the year here in AZ with the light amount of clothing I guess it limits our choice of CCW weapons. If I'm a shorts & t-shirts guy, what's the best option for CCW?

JDGray
October 1, 2005, 11:19 PM
You said the Ruger P89 & P95 has big blocky grips, did you pick up a P345? Most comfortable I found. XD felt good too.

procomps
October 2, 2005, 03:05 PM
Not saying these are the best, but what I use:

Home defense/range/plinking: Taurus 24/7 9mm 17+1, removable weaponlight

CCW/car gun: Taurus PT111 Pro Titanium 9mm 10+1

Small CCW/pocket: Kel-Tec P-3AT in pocket holster

Dollar An Hour
October 2, 2005, 04:00 PM
You said the Ruger P89 & P95 has big blocky grips, did you pick up a P345? Most comfortable I found.

Yeah it was a little better. But it's a .45 which is kinda expensive to shoot. Would rather get a 9mm and shoot more.

BamBam-31
October 2, 2005, 04:20 PM
With a good rig, they could all carry concealed fairly well too, although the CZ is on the heavy side.

CZ P-01 is lighter. Aluminum frame vs. steel frame. It's prolly worth your time to look into one. ;)

Dollar An Hour
October 2, 2005, 04:34 PM
CZ P-01 is lighter. Aluminum frame vs. steel frame. It's prolly worth your time to look into one.

I've handled a couple P-01s. For me, DA trigger reach is on the long side of comfortable on CZ's. And since the P-01 cannot be carried cocked & locked that's a negative. The 75B Compact fixes this at least, but it is a heavy gun for CCW. So is the K-9 Kahr. Not that a K-9 or CZ 75B Compact wouldn't carry OK with the right rig...

Woody_in_MN
October 2, 2005, 06:21 PM
Dollar,

I can not comment on the other guns, but I have a CZ75B Compact 9mm, and really like it - very accurate, and good looking. Unfortunately CZ's are no longer sleepers, too many people know they are very good guns. But on a full moon I'm sure you can get a new CZ75 NIB for abourt $350 plus shipping. 9mm is a great ammo - if I only had one gun, it would be a 9mm. They may not be any cheaper than a CZ, but look at the Taurus PT911. They are a bit smaller, and just as accurate - I have one of those too.

But for shorts/t-shirt, a CZ compact will be too big. BUT, if you look around there are holsters that are built into fanny packs, and then you will have no problem. If you don't go that route, then you probably are looking at a small glock, or Makarov. Another gun around that size is a Bersa thunder 380. I have nver had one, but most people like them, and as the price of Makarov's go up, and up, the Bersa seems a legitimate option.

For a car gun you might as well get something big. My gun in a zipped bag behind the driver's seat (I think this is legal) is a Ruger P97 45 Auto. If I hit you once out of 8 shots, you are going down. You also might want to think about a 357 for the car. For around $225 - $250, you s/b able to find a Ruger Security Six 357. I have one in a four inch, and it is one kick ass gun. Plus you could plunk with 38 spl's.

For home defense, 45 auto, 357 or better yet, american made 12-gauge pump. There are tons of them out there available in decent shape for under $200.

Good luck,

- w

If you enjoyed reading about "Need guidance picking a gun (or two)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!