Mounting a pistol on a 1911

PDA

IrvJr
September 30, 2005, 10:03 PM
Hi folks,

I recently bought a Kimber rimfire conversion kit for my 1911's and I thought it might be fun to mount a handgun scope to use with the 22LR slide. Is there a good way to securely mount a scope on a 1911 that does not require any permanent modifications (such as drilling and tapping the frame) to the gun?

Thanks!

IrvJr

If you enjoyed reading about "Mounting a pistol on a 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smoke
September 30, 2005, 10:05 PM
Your title is a little misleading.

TO answer your question.....not that I know of.

Smoke

Sunray
September 30, 2005, 10:41 PM
There's a mount that is attached to the grip panel that'd do. Forget who makes it.

SpookyPistolero
September 30, 2005, 10:45 PM
I was worried, so very worried, when I first saw this title.

gbran
October 1, 2005, 01:05 AM
There are several small heads-up display red dot scopes that mount using a dove-tail mount that replaces the rear sight. JPoint, Docter, etc.

chopinbloc
October 1, 2005, 01:49 AM
maybe you could mount a keltec p32 under the dust cover using a custom mount that would lock on the same way their little pocket clip does.

IrvJr
October 1, 2005, 07:35 AM
Sorry guys, I meant mounting a "scope".

I found a company called Aimtech that makes scope mounts for the 1911 that attach to the frame via the grip screws. I'm going to look into this option.

IrvJr

JoeHatley
October 2, 2005, 06:48 PM
A grip replacement mount, like this NPC, should work well for you.

http://www.iowatelecom.net/~hatley/sw1911_sf.jpg

In addition to AimTech, I think Clark Custom and B-Square also offer similar mounts.

Good Luck...

Joe

IrvJr
October 2, 2005, 08:31 PM
Hey Joe Hatley,

Thanks for the info...

That NPC mount looks nice, since it can be used with a 1911 with an ambi safety. The description on Brownell's website said that the Aimtech cannot be used with 1911's with an ambi safety.

Where did you find your NPC mount? I couldn't find it on the brownell's online catalog.

Thanks,

IrvJr

ranger7
October 2, 2005, 10:36 PM
I don't think a mount that attaches to the slide (as suggested using the slide dovetail) would work on a .22LR conversion. I doubt that the .22 LR cartridge has enough recoil energy to fully operate the slide reliably with the scope attached (unless you wanted to manuallly operate the slide.)

I have a slide mounted red dot on a 1911, but it's not a .22 conversion. The .45ACP has more than enough energy to operate the slide with the scope mounted but it has been necessary to use a lighter recoil spring when shooting light .45 loads.

JoeHatley
October 3, 2005, 07:04 PM
IrvJr,

I bought my NPC mounts from Brownells for $60, but I don't think they carry them anymore. The contact info that cam in the package is:

Glen Cove Sports Shop, Inc.
189 Forest Ave.
Glen Cove, NY 11542
(516) 676-7210
www.glencovesportsshop.com

Note: I would work witha n ambi thumb safety, but most come with an extended
thumb lever. That would probably cause clearance problems. I replaced my safety with a stock version.

Good Luck...

Joe

IrvJr
October 3, 2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks Joe. I'll check it out. If I can't find one, I may have to go for the Aimtech, and switch to a single-sided, non-ambi safety.

IRvJr

If you enjoyed reading about "Mounting a pistol on a 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!