Walther P22 owners: how durable are your pistols?

PDA

Oleg Volk
September 30, 2005, 11:49 PM
I heard one report of range-owned P22s falling apart...anyone had wear problems with prsonal pistols?

If you enjoyed reading about "Walther P22 owners: how durable are your pistols?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
atblis
September 30, 2005, 11:51 PM
How do you determine if something is broken when it never worked right from the start?

:neener:

Donning flame proof suit.

GregGry
October 1, 2005, 12:04 AM
All I know is my buddy rented a .22 walther semi auto, and the mag would fall out, it jammed alot, and it was overall a tin can that needed to be melted for scrap a long time ago. lol

pauli
October 1, 2005, 12:23 AM
well, durability and reliability are different things...

various portions of the slide and rails on my p22 have worn themselves to fit each other, and did so in rather short order. the metal is soft - it's sintered, and you can tell. the plastic is plastic, no issues there for me.

these are not the sort of guns that will last for generations. supposedly, the factory only expects them to last for 10-20k rounds. there are, however, plenty of stories of them lasting much longer.

properly maintained and fed, i don't see them dying that early. a range rental? there's no way to tell how horribly they've mistreated the gun.

every catastrophically broken p22 i've read about had one of two things in common: either mis/over lubrication, or hypervelocity ammo. these are *not* designed for stingers and velocitors.

AirPower
October 1, 2005, 12:35 AM
With 22LR gun, you'd expect it to last 100s thousands of rounds.

kahr404life
October 1, 2005, 12:45 AM
My p22 did not work right at first. Every couple of rounds the safety would engage as I fired the gun. After 500 rounds it stopped engaging the safety. I like my p22. It is very accurate and it fits my kids hands well.

kart racer
October 1, 2005, 01:11 AM
I'm going to MS to work hurricane claims and it is one of the guns I'm taking w/me.Mine is/has been very reliable,especially w/cci stingers..

countertop
October 1, 2005, 01:14 AM
Only problem I had was it has always had trouble feeding cheap bulk .22s.

Of course, I don't fire it as much as a range gun gets fired (or as much as I fire my MkII) but it has held up fine over the last couple of years or so.

Soap
October 1, 2005, 10:38 AM
Mine works just fine. Although it isn't a Model 41 or MkII...

bulbboy
October 1, 2005, 01:40 PM
I have one with about 3000 rounds through it so far and love it! Zero misfeeds or jams! I hear bad things about them - maybe I got the only good one?

atblis
October 1, 2005, 05:03 PM
Companies that make good guns occassionally turn out a lemon. I suppose that it's entirely possible for a company that seems to be in the lemon business might occassionally turn out a decent pistol (maybe).

wally
October 2, 2005, 12:11 PM
Only issue with mine is the barrel nut started working itself lose after ~2000 rounds. A drop of blue loc-tite seems to have cured it. Fun little gun, mine works with all the cheap ammo Federal Champion, Remington Golden Bulled bulk-pak, Remington Thunderbolt, Winchester Wildcat.

One weird thing is the most recent brick of Federal Champion no longer fully cycles the slide often ejecting the empty but failing to pick up a new round from the mag. Don't know what's up with this, but for now I've stopped shooting Federal Champion in it.

--wally.

SgtGunner
October 2, 2005, 12:27 PM
I bought mine when they first came out before we shut down the store, I thought it would be a neat lil plinker, I can't think of anything positive about that gun, or 3 or 4 that I sold (brand new) and had to take back becasue they were such unrivaled garbage.

That said I have heard a few people that had p22's that actually worked....urban legend??? you decide,

best
Bill

Kruzr
October 2, 2005, 12:38 PM
We've got a P22 rental at our range. We've had it 3 weeks now and it is very finicky about the ammo like many rimfire semi-autos. It seems to run best with Federal Game Shok high velocity. These are the ones in the blue and gray boxes.

I do find I have to keep it clean..........more so than other guns. I don't particularly like the PPK type of takedown and the little spring line-up tool is hardly worth the effort. They are a cute looking little gun but I wouldn't recommend it over a Ruger or a Buckmark.

marklbucla
October 2, 2005, 12:49 PM
I haven't had any problems with mine except for a bit of rust on the inside of the gun. It eats anything I feed it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Walther P22 owners: how durable are your pistols?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!