Magpul floorplate & follower = 29 rounds

PDA

artherd
October 1, 2005, 07:08 AM
Not a huge issue, but I can only fit 29 rounds into my recently rebuilt mags (Wolf CS spring, Magpul anti-tilt followers, Magpul Ranger floorplate)

This combo can only accomodate 29 rounds. Did I do anything wrong?

Zak? ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Magpul floorplate & follower = 29 rounds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Chris Rhines
October 1, 2005, 08:59 AM
Same for me. I can stuff 30 in with a LULA, but there is NO slack at all in the cartridge stack - no way could I load the magazine on a closed bolt. It's not easy even with 29.

- Chris

Bartholomew Roberts
October 1, 2005, 11:45 AM
If you go with any kind of "extra power" magazine spring (Wolf +10%, SAW Heavy Duty, etc.) you can only load 29 rounds in the mags even with the magpul follower.

If you use a regular GI mag spring, you can fit 30.

Zak Smith
October 2, 2005, 12:33 AM
I am not exactly sure what is supposed to fit, but mine all hold 29 rounds comfortably-- I could jam in a 30th but don't.

artherd
October 2, 2005, 04:34 AM
Zak- what springs are you using? I can *aaalmost* jam a 30th in there but not quite. With 29 loaded I can latch a mag on a closed bolt.

Zak Smith
October 2, 2005, 10:25 AM
I don't think I can consistently jam one in on a closed bolt with 30.

I am using either stock springs (OKay) or replacement ones from CMMG.

1911 guy
October 2, 2005, 07:48 PM
My magpulls are GI originals. A length of riser cord and a wrap of ordinance tape. work fine, look ugly, no impact on mag capacity.

Thin Black Line
October 3, 2005, 05:15 AM
Well, there's also the magpuls that wrap on the outside of the mag.
I have no problem with fitting them in mag pouches.

jkr266
October 3, 2005, 07:03 PM
Just to clear some things up, the ranger plates arent what is causing you to lose capacity, its the followers. Alot of people actualy lose two rounds if they just install the magpul followers, but will gain at least one, sometimes both back when putting the ranger plates on.

ny32182
October 3, 2005, 07:11 PM
What does a Magpul floorplate do that a normal one doesn't?

Bartholomew Roberts
October 4, 2005, 12:01 AM
The Magpul Ranger Plates have a rigid loop built into the plate to allw you to manipulate the magazine. They also have an attachment system that lets you remove the floorplate without breaking the aluminium tabs off, which I like.

Just to clear some things up, the ranger plates arent what is causing you to lose capacity, its the followers. Alot of people actualy lose two rounds if they just install the magpul followers, but will gain at least one, sometimes both back when putting the ranger plates on.

Well, I have the Magpul followers, the Magpul Ranger plates and both extra power and regular magazine springs and this has not been my experience at all. My experience has been that the Magpul Ranger plates reduce capacity and the Magpul followers do not.

No_Brakes23
October 4, 2005, 12:52 AM
A length of riser cord and a wrap of ordinance tape. nitpicking here, but it is Ordnance, not ordinance. The one with the I is like a civic code.

Good hack though.

1911 guy
October 4, 2005, 01:36 AM
Quote:
A length of riser cord and a wrap of ordinance tape.

nitpicking here, but it is Ordnance, not ordinance. The one with the I is like a civic code.

I should'a caught that, brain fart. Won't happen again, I promise. :evil:

Kamicosmos
October 4, 2005, 03:05 AM
Course....only supposed to load 28 rounds in a 30 for various reasons... ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Magpul floorplate & follower = 29 rounds" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!