Rossi vs NEF single shot .223

PDA

squirrel-shooter
October 1, 2005, 09:31 AM
I am looking at buying a new .223 break action single shot and wanted some opinions on the above two rifle. Both come in either standard or heavy barrel configuration, for this purchase I am looking specifically at the standard barrel rifle with open sights. It will be used with a scope but I still want the open sight option, already have a heavy barrel rifle in another caliber so dont need another.

Anyone owned either of the rifles in this caliber? If so how did it perform?

squirrel-shooter

If you enjoyed reading about "Rossi vs NEF single shot .223" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Byron
October 1, 2005, 09:37 AM
I have owned the NEF.It was easy to carry, balanced and accurate.I have no experience with the Rossi. try a search in this forum.
Welcome to The High Road. Byron

Preacherman
October 1, 2005, 10:21 AM
What's the twist rate of the rifling? This will affect the bullet weight you're able to shoot accurately. Look for 1:9 or tighter if you plan to use heavier bullets (i.e. over 62 grains). I don't know how the Rossi and NEF compare in this respect.

I've owned the NEF in .308 and .223, in heavy-barrel Survivor configuration, and both were wonderfully accurate. I'm sure the Rossi will also be a good, accurate rifle, but I don't know it personally.

GunGoBoom
October 1, 2005, 10:26 AM
It's a good question, and I don't know the answer yet either, as to which is 'better'. But ask here:

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=126

and here:

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=154

You'll likely get 2 different answers but you'll gain some insight surely.
The twist rate of NEF is 1 in 12". Not sure about the Rossi. I can tell you that the NEF is American made and the Rossi is furrin-made, if that matters to you - this accounts for the difference in price. The Rossi has a manual safety; the NEF doesn't.

Byron
October 1, 2005, 10:38 AM
I called NEF a few months ago and ask of the twist on 223. It was 1 in 12 but I was told NEF was changing to 1 in 9. I do not know where the change will be in the serial number.Give them a call as it is probably changed by now. Byron

ID_shooting
October 1, 2005, 10:55 AM
I had an NEF in the "Ulitmate Varminter" configuration. It shot very well but was a bit unwieldly on the bench and I had extraction issues with Wolf steel cased ammo.

dennisH87
January 26, 2006, 12:41 AM
im also looking to buy a single shot rifle thats either a .223 or .204. i can get either of them from my work (Dicks Sporting Goods) but i have to order the ultra, and they dont have any in now, so it may take a while. We have one of the rossi .223's and it comes with a simmons, i beilieve, 6-24x50 scope.they both have heavy barrels. they are selling it for 300, but in the gun order book the rifle itself lists at 170. is this a good buy? i still need to look around a little bit and then make my decision. im just looking for a little info on these two rifles tho, maybe even is somone would be kind enough post a link to field reports that would be nice, thanks

dennis:confused:

clone
January 26, 2006, 12:56 AM
both nef and rossi bull barrels have 1in9 twist. the standard barrels are 1in12 if i remember correctly.

Dave R
January 26, 2006, 12:35 PM
I have the NEF bull barrel in .223. See the attached target to see how it shoots (1/2MOA or so.) Its twist is 1:12, but I also hear they are moving to 1:9

Oddly enough, I loaded up some 70gr. Speer spitzers, just to see how they'd shoot in this 1:12 gun. They shot fine, which surprises me. Bullets that heavy are not supposed to stabilize in a 1:12 barrel.

Byron
January 26, 2006, 12:44 PM
Dave, the Speer 70 grain is a semi spitzer having a lower BC. Speer designed this for 1 in 12. I have shot from Mini and it did well. The 70 grain is a very poplar bullet in the N GA mountains for deer and those wanting to use a 223. Find an old Speer #10 manual as it has good data. Byron

If you enjoyed reading about "Rossi vs NEF single shot .223" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!