How to get rid of a skunk?

PDA

imas
October 1, 2005, 03:28 PM
Well I have an old garage and the doors are rusted in the up position and part of the floor is dirt. It seems a skunk has taken residence in the back corner. It seems to be somewhat more aggitated than those I have read about. I caught a glimpse of it and I think it may be the spotted variety which are supposed to be more difficult to deal with.

A friend of mine gave me some of the Aguilla primer only (no powder) low velocity rounds to keep it quiet. Do you think these will work ok? I thought I would send two rounds out the window and then third when I got closer just to be sure.

I have serious doubts about landing a perfect spinal shot at fifteen yards since I will have to guess the exact location of the spine. I think a head shot will do it but I really am not sure. I don't want to have it empty its stink bags after I shoot it. So to those of you with experience:

Will a good head shot drop it without releasing the nastiness?

Afterwards I thought I would bag it in three or four scented trash bags and go bury it somewhere.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to get rid of a skunk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
imas
October 1, 2005, 03:30 PM
I did read something that said if you mix plaster of paris and sugar half and half the skunk will eat it then have a drink of water and the problem will just go away. Would that even work? It seems like it might be a little cruel.

What about rat poison? Do they still sell that anywhere? Can I just sprinkle some on a piece of bread with peanut butter on it?

Kurush
October 1, 2005, 03:42 PM
DON'T shoot the skunk, he'll spray reflexively and it'll take a year to clean your garage out. I'd try setting a live animal trap just outside the garage baited with some stinky cat food. Then call animal control when it gets trapped.

CletusFudd
October 1, 2005, 03:45 PM
I was awakened one morning about 1 am to the sound of my dogs going berserk in the garage. We left the side door open so they could go in and out when they needed to. I went downstairs in my underwear to check out the commotion and noticed that they were all barking at an old cedar chest that I had against the wall. I figured snake, so I grabbed the chest and pulled it back to see what was going on. My lab jumped and grabbed something and started shaking it and then got the oddest expression on his face and started spitting. Ever seen a dog spit? Me either. It was a skunk!

The darned thing sprayed all the dogs, the cars, and the basement. Worse yet, it wasn't dead, it's back was broken. I had to take a .22 and shoot the thing in the head to kill it. I had to wash the garage and we moved out of our upstairs bedroom and slept on the couch for several days.

The worst thing of the whole episode was that the dogs started hunting skunks after that!

imas
October 1, 2005, 04:03 PM
DON'T shoot the skunk, he'll spray reflexively and it'll take a year to clean your garage out. I'd try setting a live animal trap just outside the garage baited with some stinky cat food. Then call animal control when it gets trapped.

I was planning on luring it out of the garage with some food.

I was trying to ignore the skunk but it seems to be acting more and more territorial. It sprayed out back last night and it stunk up my whole house. It keeps hiding under the cars and giving us warning scents when we go out there.

I will call animal control to see if they will loan me a cage and deal with the skunk after its caught.

brerrabbit
October 1, 2005, 04:13 PM
In most states spotted skunks are a protected species. :D . might wanna check in your state before you kill it

XLMiguel
October 1, 2005, 04:18 PM
Skunks behaving wierdly/aggressively would raise my suspicions of rabies. Call animal control.

Waitone
October 1, 2005, 04:57 PM
Some jobs are just meant for other people to do; sheetrock, roofing, AND GETTING A FREAKIN' SKUNK OUTTA BUILDING. Now is not the time for amateurs. Call a pro. The cost of your failure is high.

imas
October 1, 2005, 04:57 PM
In most states spotted skunks are a protected species

Well I'm not quite sure about what kind it is. I could only see a bit of a stripe on the head and neck. It didn't look like it went all down the back. So I'm wondering if maybe it is a spotted skunk.

rhubarb
October 1, 2005, 05:05 PM
Whoo! Nasty!

I had a skunk problem a few years back when I lived in a trailer and they took to staying under the trailer. I shot one about thirty feet from the back door in the head seven times with a .22 and although only the lower half of his head was left, he was still hissing at me and spraying. The stink! Golly! I would wash my clothes and take a shower before going to work and people still cut a wide swath around me. People told me to bath in tomato juice. I did. Then I smelt like skunk and rotten tomatos. Most of my clothes I eventually threw away.

Whatever you do, don't shoot it unless you have to. If you can, get animal control to come round it up, but I bet they don't mess with them stinkers. Hey, I know! Call PETA. Maybe they'll save him. :p

imas
October 1, 2005, 05:08 PM
PETA hehe they'll find it in a dumpster behind walmart. :D

Warren
October 1, 2005, 05:24 PM
Ask it to come by tommorrow and help you move.

You won't ever see it again.

Technosavant
October 1, 2005, 05:28 PM
This is a 2 pronged problem.

1) The Skunk. I like the idea of calling a pest control/animal control service. No point in doing it the hard way. If it is legal to shoot pests on your property, you can try it, but be prepared for it to shoot back.

2) The Garage Door. I understand that it is rusted in the up position, but seeing as how this is what aided and abetted the skunk, I might suggest fixing it. You can remove this animal, but another might move right on in. Nip this problem in the bud for good.

rufus1
October 1, 2005, 05:35 PM
I took a trapping course 10 years ago and was told that if caught in a trap and they spray, the trap will be scented for life, Basically worthless. The correct way to remove a skunk from a trap as told by the instructor is to cover the trap with a blanket/sheet and talk softly to it while picking it up (keeping it calm) and then slowley imerse in water deeper then the cage.

MDG1976
October 1, 2005, 05:38 PM
Definetly call a pro. A skunk is a worthy adversary.

imas
October 1, 2005, 06:16 PM
I'll give animal control a call on monday and see if they want to take a crack at it. Some areas will and some will tell you you're on your own. If not then I will buy a cage and cover it with something then when I have trapped the skunk I'll either take it and release it or put it in some deep water. I guess in that case I'll see how calm it is.

As for the two garage doors...they are never coming down. I spent an afternoon working on them and confirmed the are not budging. (these things look like they've been submerged for twenty years) They will be replaced eventually and the floor in the garage will be completely repaved. But that is low on my list of priorities in the stage of the renovations. The house comes first. I will deal with these critters if and when they come along.

Bill2k1
October 1, 2005, 06:34 PM
don't mothballs work? I mean if the skunk is already spraying, the area stinks already so go buy a box and throw a ton in the garage and around your house to get rid of it. My neighbor did that when he has skunks under his deck and they left.

Gunpacker
October 1, 2005, 07:41 PM
What a bunch of cowards!! :D :D

MountainPeak
October 1, 2005, 08:35 PM
Leave a trail of food for it to follow. Preferably ending up with a BIG supply in a neighbors(one you don't like) yard. Increase the distance from your place, with the food, for a few days. Shoot it in your neighbors yard. Cat food works!!

creekerdoug
October 1, 2005, 08:37 PM
I have 4 skunks that live around my house. I would never kill one. They don't spray unless provoked. When we go out in the morning we clap our hands and they move off. The wife and I enjoy sitting on the front porch and watching them dig in the yard. We've been here six years and haven't been sprayed yet. This property has been in the family for 4 generations and according to family history, skunks have always been here. The thing I like best about skunks is their willingness to dig up and destroy yellow jacket nests. For that they get free passage.

And no I'm not some kind of tree hugging troll. I kill every racoon and possum that attempts to get to our bird feeders.

Pilgrim
October 1, 2005, 08:41 PM
A true sportsman hunts skunk with a baseball bat and a feed sack.

Pilgrim

:D

swampsniper
October 1, 2005, 08:43 PM
Hey, there is good money in collecting skunk musk and putting it in little bottles, all you need to do now is train the skunk! :D

MountainPeak
October 1, 2005, 08:44 PM
My friend "Stinky" O'Brien uses a hand held taser!

matis
October 1, 2005, 08:54 PM
How to get rid of a skunk?

Forget it, Imas.

I suggest just moving out. (How do you get this darn smilies to work??)

matis

MikeIsaj
October 1, 2005, 09:02 PM
Mothballs work. Wait until nighttime when it is out. Put lots where he's nesting and put some all around the garage. He won't come back. It worked for me in my 29 Palms days.

Fix the door.

Spotted skunks I've seen are smaller, have no stripe at all and are more brown than black. The need to do a hand stand to spray, it's fun to watch with binoculars.

Funny this post should be here today. I was tearing down a tool shed today. Lifted the old wooden base and guess what I found living in the basement? Fortunatly he went one way and I went the other. You could not pay me enough to confront a skunk.

Model520Fan
October 1, 2005, 10:37 PM
Some years ago,we had one around (not in the garage). Some people told me fox urine would make them feel unwelcome. It seemed to work for us.

As you probably know, you can buy fox urine in a bottle at the same place where you buy turkey calls, cleaning patches, and Pyrodex pellets.

BobHAJ
October 1, 2005, 10:47 PM
Take 5# of Lutifisk and throw it where the skunks are and guaranteed they will be gone soon...........But I have no idea how you get of them damn Norweigens

BobHAJ

Hardtarget
October 1, 2005, 10:52 PM
10 ga. ,20 feet, mod. choke..................................right.
Mark.

garrett1955
October 1, 2005, 11:24 PM
you can shoot them. there is a trick. you must shoot them in the back, this will break their back o they cant hunch up to spray. the last one i shot was with a 20 ga. single shot. shot it in the back and it died w/ out spraying. works well.

Dave R
October 2, 2005, 12:36 AM
Here's what worked for me. I've told the long version of this several times. Here's the short version. Put a radio in the garage, set to a hard rock station, with the volume set just to where it doesn't bug you in the house (not battery-powered, gott be a plug-in.) In a day or two the skunk will find someplace quieter to live.

mustanger98
October 2, 2005, 01:11 AM
We have skunks here too. They're always coming through the yard at night and spraying. :uhoh: Opens up your sinuses better than Vicks vapo-rub. :neener:

The thing I like best about skunks is their willingness to dig up and destroy yellow jacket nests. For that they get free passage.

:cool: Yeah. A few weeks ago, we were out on the porch watching one digging around our propane tank. All of a sudden, he went to doing flips and biting at himself and ran off. Got himself straightened out, then charged in and tore up that yellow jacket nest under the end of the gas tank. :evil: DIE, YELLOW JACKETS, DIE!!! :evil: Yeah, I know, yellow jackets have a purpose too... but, when they nest too close to people they can be worse than the skunk. :cuss:

Sam
October 2, 2005, 01:20 AM
Garret1955 has it right.
Break the spine, actually easier to do it at the neck.
You only get 1 chance :D, that shot has to count.
It's what we did with trapped skunks.
Didn't go to school though, is that OK?

Sam

joab
October 2, 2005, 01:27 AM
The four principles of pest control are

Cultural
Skunks like debris, clean up any trash or lumber piles or any permanent or semi permanent shelter that they can get under or just shoot it.

Obnoxious noise will also work, Jimmy Hendrix's natioal anthem has a lot of high pitched off key notes that should send them scurrying

Skunks feed on insects and rodents eliminate these populations and you lessen the attractiveness of the location

Biological
Introduce and skunk predator, good luck

Mechanical
Repair the broken door and patch any holes that he may be getting access through

Chemical

Moth balls or camphor flakes are about the cheapest deterrents.
Put them out in small baskets or little bags like garlic comes in, placed in locations where they can be easily retrieved later if the smell bothers you.

Rodenticides probably wont work because they are designed for rodents.
Rodents are not capable of regurgitation so an emetic is added to most rodenticides which would make the skunk throw up alot but probably would not kill it.

Strychnine ,red squill or Compound 1080 injected into an egg would work but that method is illegal now

If you can get ahold of some Zinc Phosphide you could dust it's harborage area but it may kill you also

Silent-Snail
October 2, 2005, 03:30 AM
I've heard that beer makes superb skunk bait.

imas
October 2, 2005, 08:24 AM
I don't care if it kills yellow jackets or not. I can buy a can of spray and take care of those yellow jackets myself. That only takes a couple seconds. I did try to ignore the skunk because many times they are nomadic but it is really starting to be a nusance. I'm going to have to take care of him. I don't think I want to try the one shot stop.

I can't be too loud about it so shotgun is out of the question. If I shoot it will be with primer only 22lr at about 500fps or so. :uhoh: I don't like my odds.

If I lived farther out in the country it would be a different story. I would choose between a 12ga slug or 7.62X39.

No I'm ordering a cage. Anyone know any good places to buy one online? I found one for $25. Hopefully I can continue to use it in the future. Never know when this might come up again.

mussi
October 2, 2005, 10:31 AM
A frangible .223 will do the trick as well. One of my army buddies once used a GP90 on one, and it sprayed.

My uncle used some commercial hunting ammo, and hit the beast right in the guts. The bullet disintegrated, as did the skunk gut. Without muscles and gut, they aren't going to spray very far. Just make sure that you use a bag when disposing them.

gunsmith
October 2, 2005, 07:35 PM
I heard they are frightened of them.
Also I hear that coyotes eat them so make friends wih some coyotes

Moondoggie
October 2, 2005, 07:49 PM
I shot one in my back yard about a yr ago. Caught him from behind as he was burrowing under our privacy fence into neighbor's back yard. 12 ga 00 Buck in the heinie + one in the head to finish him off. No spray. Cops said it was OK to shoot him as it was a weekend and our small town had no animal control officer on duty. We had 4 confirmed cases of rabid skunks in our county last yr, so one wandering around in my back yard in broad daylight was an immediate problem IMHO. We have 4 cats & 2 dogs. BTW, I sprayed the area where I shot him liberally with bleach and kept our animals inside for a couple of days.

Day before yesterday I borrowed a live trap from the city and relocated a Possum from under my back deck. He now resides waaaaay out in the boonies near a creek. The city employee mentioned that for skunk disposal they normally submerge the cage for awhile....only way they have figured out to not get sprayed. For transport, they cover the cage with a blanket.

I've also heard that the radio method will encourage them to look for a new place to live.

1911Ron
October 2, 2005, 07:54 PM
If you want to get rid of it with no fuss and no muss, get some carbon fiber and some pictures of korean girls :evil: :p (sorry had to do it the voices told me to :D )

mustanger98
October 2, 2005, 10:00 PM
The skunk was supposed to be spotted. Did it look anything like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/snipehunter/untitled.jpg

HadEmAll
October 3, 2005, 01:25 AM
Quote:
"I took a trapping course 10 years ago and was told that if caught in a trap and they spray, the trap will be scented for life, Basically worthless."

I haven't found the above to be true. I have caught 1 to 3 skunks each of the last 5 years in the same Have-a-Heart trap. Mostly on succeeding nights. I use .22 CB caps and with a good head shot, the spray is minimal, but there's always some scent, and it doesn't seem to deter the next skunk. I've used just about everything for bait, apples (quartered), tuna fish, cheetohs.........

All this is only to draw them out from under my deck after they've taken residence. I'd leave 'em alone but they like to get under my deck and the scent (I believe they get into combat with the local cats and dogs during their early morning hunting) comes up through the siding.

Jim March
October 3, 2005, 03:34 AM
Cut off it's campaign contributions.

rustymaggot
October 3, 2005, 04:07 AM
aguilla sss brand .22lr. it is a full length round but a short case. the rest of the length is lead. 60 grain bullet with small ammount of powder. hits pretty hard and quiet as heck if you have a long barrel. the manufacturer says they are good for 22 inches of penetration in ballistic gelatin at 200 yards. i donno bout all that, but i do know they have good penetration past 100 yards cause of the weight.

before id shoot it id try noise. move speakers into the garage and play the most anoying music you can find. put wierd al yancovic on repeat or somthing. or the benny hill theme song.

if you can get the garage door shut try a raid indoor fogger. seal it in with a fogger and the skunk will be very unhappy.

Randy in Arizona
October 3, 2005, 05:00 AM
Elect the skunk to Congress! The US Marshals will transport it to Washington. The skunk odor will go un-noticed among the likes of Hitlery, Fineswine, and Chucky Scummer, and the skunk will probably attain a better voting record (from our point of view) than most of the RINOs anyway! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SoonerGunner
October 3, 2005, 05:02 AM
Try a cage trap.

MAURICE
October 3, 2005, 06:21 AM
Gas mask, tongs, nerves of steel.
Good luck!

280PLUS
October 3, 2005, 09:06 AM
Try the moth balls if it doesn't work then call Animal control...

Other than that, you're on your own!

:p

imas
October 3, 2005, 08:21 PM
No I was wrong about the spotted thing. It just doesn't have too much of a stripe.

I did the moth balls thing last night. I will sprinkle some flour in the garage to see if it is still around.

If it's still hanging around then I'll buy a trap and catch it. In which case I'll probably just turn it loose somewhere.

Dionysusigma
October 3, 2005, 09:31 PM
Why not just ask him to leave? :confused: Doesn't seem like he's such a bad guy.

:D

JeanC
October 3, 2005, 09:48 PM
I used to work for a wildlife rehab place when I was in high school. We trapped skunks all the time and didn't have much of a spraying problem at all. They stayed pretty calm when we'd push them into the corner of the have a heart trap to give them a rabies shot before hauling them off into the boonies for release. We continued to use the traps for other species such as racoons and such. Peanut butter works pretty good as bait.

We got the contract for catching them when we proved to the county that skunks were not a problem and didn't need to be killed when one was found (they decided every skunk had rabies, so it was instant death the minute one was trapped. We got the carcasses, sent them to the vet school for analysis and not one out of several hundred even showed a trace of rabies. Now the BATS of the county were another story. Rabies was pretty rampant in those communities. My mom worked in a bat infested county building and they were always finding rabid bats flopping around the floor).

We hosted a litter of baby skunks for a while, they were the cutest little critters. I would have loved to taken one home as a pet (after de-scenting of course :D ), but my parents already were having a fit about the poor little kitties who followed me home. Wildlife would have been the last straw hehehehe

bamawrx
October 3, 2005, 11:59 PM
I blew one away with a 12 ga bird shot. No big deal. I did leave him there in the yard for a day prior to placing him into a garbage bag and getting rid of him.

And just the other evening I dispatched a full grown possum with a head shot from a super colibri. Those have much more power than the low power colibri's. The kill was clean. I recommend everyone keep a box of those handy as they are very quite in a rifle and do the job nicely on small game.

cracked butt
October 4, 2005, 12:22 AM
A guy I work with accidentally caught a skunk in one of his cage traps, this is what he did:

Made a tent out of wire, sheets of plastic and duct tape big enough to fit over the cage. He attached 15 ft of flexible dryer vent to the tent. He moved very slowly and cautiously and set the tent over the cage. He then backed up his truck until the exhaust was within reach of the dryer vent and attached the vent line to the exhaust. Idled his truck until the skunk took a permanant nap.

Using this idea and maybe draping something over a trap before it is set might be a good, clean way to dispatch the varmint.

dpesec
October 4, 2005, 01:22 AM
Randy,
You owe me a keyboard. I was laughing so hard my sides hurt.

Darth Ruger
October 4, 2005, 04:49 AM
Obnoxious noise will also work...
In that case, a Dixie Chicks CD oughtta do the trick. :D

stealthmode
October 4, 2005, 05:25 AM
soak some rags in ammonia and place them near the entrance where the skunk sneaks in and throw some where it is actually making its home. it also works with other animals.

or get a live animal trap, catch it, and let it loose somewhere else.

JeanC
October 4, 2005, 01:57 PM
Imas, I live in Moscow, about 90 miles south of Coeur d'Alene. The home of the University of Idaho Vandals :D

bubbygator
October 4, 2005, 03:31 PM
We had success with a racoon using Capsiesum (spelling) spray (the hot stuff). Our local nursery sold it along with fox urine & bobcat urine spray. I heard the racoon hit the hot stuff while climbing up to the eave of our roof at night - then a "thump" of him hitting the ground. Haven't seen him since.

Cost me over $1000 in roof repairs (water-damaged wood underlay + soffit damage from the racoon), but I would never have found the water-damage until it dripped inside - if the racoon hadn't gotten after the bugs in the rotted wood.

As an aside, here in Florida only licensed trappers are allowed to remove an animal pest to another location. Seems the thinking is that most removals cause more problems at the other site than the original. And killing is allowed with only a .22 or a .410.... no reason given. But looking up the law gave me an excuse to add to my collection by buying a .410!!! :) Got a Stoeger O/U Condor. :D

bakert
October 5, 2005, 01:15 AM
Get rid of a skunk? Just pick him/her up by the scruff of the neck like picking up a cat and hold it's tail down with the other hand. Don't let the little sucker bite you. Lot of them carry rabies. If this doesn't work don't blame me, you probably didn't follow directions properly. :D

mustanger98
October 5, 2005, 01:16 AM
They can't spray if you pick 'em up by the tail. There's a guy lives right up the road from me carried one into the schoolhouse like that.

M2 Carbine
October 5, 2005, 01:39 AM
The Skunk might have a litter it's protecting.
I shot one that I couldn't chase away, then found out she had four little ones in the barn.
Lucky they were big enough to eat cat food and drink milk. Bottle feeding them would have been interesting.

They were a lot of fun. You never knew where they were in the barn.

When they were big enough they left home.

Damned ungrateful kids, they never even call. :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Bell406_206B/Skunks.jpg

NHBB
October 5, 2005, 02:35 AM
funny this subject comes up, apparently I have a new skunk hanging out on my property cause my neighbors/tenants thought it would be cool to put the trash out in bags a week before the garbage man comes... nearly got sprayed 2 nights ago, thing was right at my feet, then I take some trash out the other night... holy crap! he was digging in again... if I had the funds available I think I would be looking into a suppressed 10/22 right now since its not a far distance from my surrounding neighbors.

how much does a "have a heart" trap cost anyways? I would just as soon put out a great white jaw sized trap and crush him.

cracked butt
October 5, 2005, 03:06 AM
I would just as soon put out a great white jaw sized trap and crush him.

Seems like a good idea until you catch your neighbors cat, dog or toddler in it.

Darth Ruger
October 5, 2005, 01:59 PM
Is a .177 or .22 air rifle powerful enough to kill a skunk?

cracked butt
October 5, 2005, 02:03 PM
Is a .177 or .22 air rifle powerful enough to kill a skunk?

Yes, but shot placement would have to be absolutely perfect.
I tried shooting a porcupine with a air rifle and it hardly even fazed him, but made him angry. I wouldn't reccommend it for skunks.

mustanger98
October 5, 2005, 05:05 PM
Put about 6 pumps on a Benjamin/Sheridan .20caliber and put it in his head and it'll stop him.

docfubar
October 5, 2005, 06:38 PM
When I lived in Illinois, we had a skunk problem. Animal control wouldn't do anything unles we knew exactly were it was, but they did LOAN us a live trap.
When we caught it they took the trap and skunk all at once.

To get rid of the smell that blew in to the houses we took an old pot, put coffee grounds in it and hit the grounds with a propane torch. The grounds got to smoldering and smoking and I just walked through the house. NO skunk smell and the burned coffee smell dissapated real quick.

Koobuh
October 5, 2005, 07:26 PM
OMG so cute! :)

We get skunks under our hay shed every so often, but they don't tend to stay very long. It seems coyotes consider skunks a fine delicacy.

M2 Carbine
October 5, 2005, 10:36 PM
Those little Skunks played around and got into everything just like little kittens.
They gave just a little spray twice when they were startled and the smell went away quickly.
As long as we didn't scare them they would just walk away.
It was funny to open the garage door and a little Skunk would be sitting there.

This stuff works wonders on Skunk smell.

http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/wildlife/nf646.htm

308win
October 5, 2005, 10:50 PM
Maybe Duuuhbya will appoint it to the Supreme Court. It would fit right in with the other 8 and infact would probably raise the ethical makeup about 25 points.

Horsesense
October 6, 2005, 12:15 AM
I have heard that this works, I haven't had occasion to try it, but an old trapper told me about it and says It works.

Mix in a spray bottle:

2 quarts hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 shot liquid soap (any kind)

Or

You could get one of the cheep wading pools or something similar, and place the trap in it. After you catch it, turn on the waterhose (that you already have placed in the pool) to a slow trickle, and drowned it.

I have had limited luck shooting skunks, double lung shot, but have never had one not spray when I use a head shot. I never tried a spine shot…. I'll try that next time.

The last polecat (skunk) I killed was two days before a family reunion was scheduled for the same spot. It was running, in hindsight I should have let it go the shot was off and I hit it in the shoulder, with a .22. The shoulder shot anchored it pretty good but it began spraying so I shot it again and an again. About this time I'm asking myself why I did that and I was trying to figure out a way to kill the smell, I ended up piling a huge brush pile on top of the skunk and effected area. The pile burned up, talk about an odd odor, and the next day there was a faint skunk smell and the charred remains of the skunk, so I repeated the cleansing by fire deal then hauled off the ashes, and it worked fairly well. This was in the barnyard where everyone parked and noone mentioned smelling a skunk.

imas
October 6, 2005, 02:03 AM
how much does a "have a heart" trap cost anyways?

Sportsman's Guide has this trap for $25. (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=210612)

carterbeauford
October 30, 2006, 10:54 PM
If you're feeling kind: find the little guy's hole and throw in some chocolate laxatives.

If you're me and there's no closed season, drill the little guy in the head with an Aguila Supermax .22 because he looked at your dog wrong.

el44vaquero
October 30, 2006, 11:25 PM
Just get you a radio. Put it on a radio station that plays around the clock and turn it up to a reasonable level and the skunks will stay out. That's what I've done for the last several years and haven't had any of them make a home in my barn.

enkindler
October 30, 2006, 11:33 PM
Skunks typically will not spray if they are in a trap, we use to have people bring them in all the time to be descented at the vet clinic at and they never sprayed while in a cage or a box.

Our main method of catching wild ones was to put a normal wire live trap across a water trough, when we caught a skunk we would simply kick it in the water and let it drown.

One gentleman in town constructed a wooden live trap with an old lawn mower engine attached. After catching one he would simply start up the motor and let them pass that way. He had quite a bird fancy and I'm not quite sure if he was really using it for skunks or cats though.

jeepmor
October 30, 2006, 11:38 PM
And just shoot it. The thought of drowning or suffocating on engine exhaust sound much less humane than a well placed 22LR round.

Gun Geezer
October 30, 2006, 11:45 PM
Buy a live trap called "The Skunker". Just google it up.

It is a cylindrical live animal trap. It is sized such that the skunk gets in but cannot raise up on its front legs to spray after being caught. Both ends are solid except for a small air hole. The body of cage is basically thin gauge metal. It has a set of "legs" on each end that keep it from rolling.

Tie a rope on it so you can drag it off from a distance. Don't want to get too close even if the sucker can't spray! Bait and wait. Then just take the rope and drag it over to a 55-gallon drum full of water and drown the skunk. That is what the "air hole" is for.

The employ the 2nd and 3rd "S's": Shovel and Shut-up.

We use it at the power plant where I work. The Skunker is the best solution we have ever seen.

mustanger98
October 31, 2006, 12:21 AM
...just shoot it. The thought of drowning or suffocating on engine exhaust sound much less humane than a well placed 22LR round.

I agree. If you hafta kill something, you owe it a humane end. The well placed .22LR seems to be the quickest way.

rallyhound
October 31, 2006, 01:02 AM
i wonder if a blast of pepper spray might work and out stink the stinker

Mark Whiteman
October 31, 2006, 02:20 AM
Depending on your local government, Animal Control may not mess with it. In that case, Fish and Wildlife or Fish and Game may have to deal with it. I knew a guy that had a skunk problem once. He waited it out until the middle of summer and gave it one round from his AR-15 to the chest. All that was left was a hollow skin, but the atomized guts included the spray parts, so it stank anyway. Nobody in the neighborhood thought anything of one more firecracker.

12GA00buck
October 31, 2006, 03:30 AM
You could try poison. Figure out what skunks like to eat, then add something toxic, and tasteless. I'd call animal control first, they probably have a good idea on how to deal with them. If you concerned about gun noise, a sub-sonic .22 in a garage wont be noticeable to your neighbor. I'd wear eye protection though, as shooting in a garage seems likely to have a ricochet. Depending of safety concerns, you could pump carbon monoxide from your car into the garage. If the garage is connected to your house though, defiantly don’t! With CO2 the skunk would die in its sleep, so I doubt if it would spray. Just a thought if your garage is NOT connected to your house.

Koobuh
October 31, 2006, 05:23 AM
"I agree. If you hafta kill something, you owe it a humane end. The well placed .22LR seems to be the quickest way."

Actually, drowning is very humane. Once the lungs fill the body shuts the nervous system down within a few seconds and death occurs in the midst of sleep. Carbon monoxide is even more humane- there is absolutely no trauma other than the fear it's already experiencing, and again it passes on in the midst of sleep.
Shooting CAN be humane, too, but I would not choose to do it if I had a choice; I'm not that good of a marksman. What would happen if you didn't kill it with the first shot? You would be subjecting it to unfathomable agony as it emptied its scent glands, subjecting you to unfathomable misery.

Drowning is a much better method; works first time, every time, and is as humane as you can get without putting it to sleep with an injection.

Poison is worse if you care about humane treatment, much worse.

Ryder
October 31, 2006, 06:47 AM
I've killed a lot of things but Skunk is not one of them. I've had the opportunity just not the curiosity. Can't say I've ever regretted my decidion to leave them alone.

Sometimes critters will take up residence under my back porch. Usually during severe weather. I ignore them (live and let live) and they've always moved on once the weather cleared up. Guess I'm glad to have been of utmost assistance :)

According to studies by our natural resources department skunks are said to have the highest incidence of rabies. There's another good reason to leave them alone. As if you need two :D

murph50
October 31, 2006, 11:46 AM
I am a Wildlife Control Operator by trade. I use a 1 way door most times to get animals to move. An easy way to do this would be to cut some wire mesh(I use 1"x2" welded wire) that's at least 2 " bigger than the hole on each side.Bend a 90 degree angle at the bottom to form a 2" lip. Then attach over the entry with nail staples(u-shaped nails). The skunk will be able to push this open with his head but cannot open it to re-enter.
Or
Sprinkle some baking flour around or in front of the entry. Check it out after about 9pm and if you see footprints heading out--seal the entry.
The radio suggestions may work also.
Hope this helps

Lonestar
October 31, 2006, 12:11 PM
If your skunk is French, get a pretty female black cat and paint a white strip down its back

http://users.bendnet.com/storm/thumbs/browse_by_character_or_movie/pepe_le_pew.jpg

Master Blaster
October 31, 2006, 12:40 PM
Replying to a one year old thread Anyone?

Oct 5, 2005

BTW put a loud radio in the Garage with the Skunk, it will move after a day or two.

Justin
October 31, 2006, 12:52 PM
And one that's barely on topic, at that.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to get rid of a skunk?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!