I've never been a big revolver fan, until today!

PDA

Exposure
October 1, 2005, 06:00 PM
This morning I went to my local indoor range and met a friend and his son. As a surprise we were going to rent the MP5 they have there and let his son rip through a bunch of 9mm. Sadly they said you had to be at least 21 to fire the MP5. He and I have been burning up 9mm like there is no tomorrow every trip there and we were amped for his son to get a chance. Oh well.

I had brought my Mini-14 and my Remington 721 bolt action as well as my Walther P-22 and CZ-52. We had a blast for a while then my friend said maybe we could try a revolver, he thought his son might enjoy that.

I went back up front and looked at the rental guns. I was taken with a Ruger GP100 in .357 with a 4 inch barrel. Well long story short we all fell in love with this thing!!!!

I was stunned by how easy it was to achieve fantastic accuracy. I found it far easier to shoot than any of the automatics I own. The heavy report and concussion you could feel in your whole body only added to the cool factor. I am smitten to say the least. Looks like it is time to start saving for another new pistol. :)

As a scary side note it was the three of us on the indoor rifle range for a while. Then a father and his two kids came in. They had an AR15. None of them seemed to be overly familiar with how to act on a rifle range, they just seemed kind of uncomfortable. When the girl, about 13 or 14, got her chance to shoot I was watching. The target carrier was at about the 7 meter range (that is not a typo, only 21 feet) when her first shot hit the carrier itself sending a terrific shower of sparks flying. I looked at her dad and he just smiled. The next round did the same thing, sparks everywhere, the third round went into the ceiling, and the fourth severed the line and everything came crashing to the floor and they all had a good laugh. Scary to say the least. Of my many trips to this range it was the first where I was uncomfortable with the other shooters there.

If you enjoyed reading about "I've never been a big revolver fan, until today!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Working Man
October 1, 2005, 06:04 PM
The GP100 is a great gun and you will be very happy if you buy one. I
have the 4" and 6" and will never sell them.

and the fourth severed the line and everything came crashing to the floor and they all had a good laugh.
Wow.... did anyone come in and ask them to leave?

Exposure
October 1, 2005, 06:20 PM
Wow.... did anyone come in and ask them to leave?

There was an exchange between the counter person and the dad and they were allowed to stay. Although they left not long after. I think the charge is $35.00 when you bring down the carrier. Ouch. I have never done it but there is a sign to that effect up front.

It was just about when I brought in the GP100 that they decided to pack it up. I think the report actually was scaring them! It really had a distinctive sound on the range. I shoot my Garand in there regularly and I think the .357 had a MUCH larger report and greater felt concussion than even the mighty .30-06!!

pezo
October 1, 2005, 06:38 PM
I have the 6" and the 3" The fixed sight smaller grip 3" gp100's are the cats meow :D

c_yeager
October 1, 2005, 06:52 PM
It was just about when I brought in the GP100 that they decided to pack it up. I think the report actually was scaring them! It really had a distinctive sound on the range. I shoot my Garand in there regularly and I think the .357 had a MUCH larger report and greater felt concussion than even the mighty .30-06!!

Try a 2" .357 some time. It makes for pretty fine jerk-repellant at the range.

Grats on discovering revolvers, its just a matter of time for all shooters.

AirForceShooter
October 1, 2005, 06:54 PM
wheel guns are fun. And the nest part is their accurate out of the box.

Get one, or 2.
Shoot the crap out of it. You'll go throught less ammo per hour.

AFS

pezo
October 1, 2005, 07:14 PM
to the contrary I find for myself I shoot thru ammo faster in wheelguns than auto's at the range do to the fact I load directly into the gun rather than take time to load a magazine. I fired 250 rounds rather quickly last session.

Dollar An Hour
October 1, 2005, 10:47 PM
Good story - get a GP100 and keep it forever, really solid handguns.

That's pretty crazy about those other people though. Doesn't sound like they should be there at all.

dasmi
October 1, 2005, 10:52 PM
and the fourth severed the line and everything came crashing to the floor and they all had a good laugh.
If you do that where I shoot, you pay for the repair.

Arch
October 1, 2005, 11:52 PM
I was an auto-guy, but eventually I just couldn't resist the advantages of a revolver either. The look, the feel, the robustness, the reliability, the ease of cleaning, the fun-to-tinker-with, the old world charm, that uncanny feeling of safety, the accuracy, the fact that it holds onto your brass, the caliber choices.....lol I love em.

So now I am an auto&revolver-guy.

Yeah, ranges. Over here we have "ranges" which are pay your money at the counter type deals, and go out there with every other idiot cowboy and his dog. Or we have "clubs" which are a little more snooty, and competition oriiented, with commitie hearings, and lots and lots of rules, and regulations. I love being part of a snobby club, and would never ever go back to a range.

CAnnoneer
October 2, 2005, 01:05 AM
I see idiots like that at the range, I leave. No dignity in being killed by a fool's ricochet.

robert garner
October 2, 2005, 02:16 AM
357 is my dink go back and try a 41 or44!

Nematocyst
October 2, 2005, 02:39 AM
Funny you mention the GP-100. Thanks to several other threads, one of them started by me, I suspect that it (with a 4" barrel) will be my next one. (Now, only one is a Kahr K9, which I love and will keep as carry.)

All I've got to do is find a set of grips that will allow my smaller hands to feel comfortable with it. The factory grips are a tad too big.

Thanks to the help of others, I think I've got that sussed.

Gary A
October 2, 2005, 12:50 PM
Nematocyst-870 - When you get your GP-100, look in the owner's manual at the parts list. You should find the parts listing for the compact grip that is on the fixed sight GPs. I don't think you'll find the compact grips on the website but if you call Ruger you can order the smaller grip. I like the smaller grip myself, however, when I installed them on my adjustable 4 inch, I was surprised to find that on that revolver I like the larger grips better. The heavy barrel of the adjustable-sighted revolver feels muzzle heavy to me with the smaller grips but just right with the larger grips. The fixed-sight revolvers, on the other hand, feel just right with the compact grips. Something else to try on the adjustable-sighted GPs might be Hogue grips if the factory grips feel a bit large.

Nematocyst
October 2, 2005, 06:03 PM
Gary A, thanks! PM sent.

If you enjoyed reading about "I've never been a big revolver fan, until today!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!