Where to keep guns when staying on campus?

PDA

natedog
October 2, 2005, 02:49 AM
I've started looking at prospective colleges, and I've noticed that none of the schools that interest me allow firearms in the dorms. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can keep my guns handy without them being in the dorm? Perhaps locked in the trunk of my car?

If you enjoyed reading about "Where to keep guns when staying on campus?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Alex45ACP
October 2, 2005, 02:50 AM
On my campus you cannot bring any weapons onto the property.

Off campus housing maybe.

firefighter4884
October 2, 2005, 03:16 AM
Nate...

I'm a senior in college this year. I purchased my first pistols this summer (curses on NJ...) anyway... I live off campus, and store my pistols at my house. I also hold onto a friend's pistol (he's a good friend, and I know the firearms history). I also hold onto proof that he purchased the firearm and owns it legally in case I ever have an issue with an LEO.

My suggestion, find out if there is some kind of firearms or shooting club at yoru school. You may find someone who lives close by that is willing to hold onto your pistol or rifle for you. Alternatively, if you find a school that still has a competitive team, you MIGHT be able to store you weapon where the school stores the teams rifles and pistols.

--Jim

zahc
October 2, 2005, 03:27 AM
Live off campus. I always have and have never regretted it. There is no way I could ever live on campus.

natedog
October 2, 2005, 03:50 AM
I've always heard that its best to live on campus your freshman year to make friends and such. Any truth to that?

Azrael256
October 2, 2005, 03:51 AM
Live off campus That one is going to be tricky. If you do it, you'll have to rent the apartment in your parents' name. Every campus I've been on has a rule about freshmen living on campus or with the 'rents. My school makes you stay on campus until you're 21.

My guns stay at Dionysusigma's house. I wouldn't have left them there the day I moved in here, but I've gotten to know him well enough that leaving just about anything at his place is perfectly safe. It may take you a little while to develop those kinds of contacts, particularly because you won't have so much association with upperclassmen (who are more likely to live off campus) your first year. I couldn't leave my guns at his place before because he was my roommate here on campus.

The only other option I can think of is to find a gun club with lockers. I have only seen such a club a few times, but it's worth looking into. It shouldn't cost but a few dollars a month to rent a locker, although you may have to buy a membership to be able to store it there.

Koobuh
October 2, 2005, 04:10 AM
At least, when I brought my Mosin back to college with me, I stored it there initially. Special window on the station and everything, the officer was even friendly. :what:

Of course it was Washington State University, WA's cow college, and many of the students needed somewhere to keep their deer rifles and shotguns, since on-campus housing doesn't allow firearms. Your situation may differ.

I would start by contacting the campus security/LEO department and asking if they offer on-campus secure storage. That is, if you're interested in having a 3rd party hold onto your baby, in unknown conditions.

FWIW, I only kept my Mosin there for a couple weeks, then kept it at my shooting buddy's apartment, off campus.

chopinbloc
October 2, 2005, 04:15 AM
on your person.

without getting into a discussion about the morality of obeying immoral laws and regulations the fact is that if you want to bring a firearm onto campus it will have to be on your person.

Pietro Beretta
October 2, 2005, 04:18 AM
Some people carry withought a Carry Permit, is it legal NO but they do it.

If your that worried about your well-being I say break the law :scrutiny:
You can hide a firearm withought any one knowing, you just need to be smart/responsible about it.

Evin if you do rent an apartment, their are quite a few people who do NOT allow firearms in their house. Be sure to read the rental agreement and to make sure they dont prohibit them in that rental.

HOWEVER again, if your that worried about your saftey.............

natedog
October 2, 2005, 04:25 AM
Oh, its not necessarily to keep them handy for defense, just to be able to have them available to go shooting once in a while.

Robert Hairless
October 2, 2005, 04:25 AM
I understand that some colleges or universities still have a rifle or pistol team, and that at least some of them have facilities for securing firearms owned by students. My information on that point is a couple of years old and might be obsolete. But it would be worth looking in the catalog to see if the schools that interest you have such a team.

Don't tell anyone connected with other schools about your interest in firearms. You might not get admitted. Colleges and universities are completely open to every idea that has received group approval, but not to other ideas. That's not the way they used to be but that is the way they are and have been for the past several years. I am not advocating that you lie if you are asked directly. I can't imagine that you will be asked, though, unless you initiate questions.

The suggestions about off-campus storage are good suggestions. Another possibility for storing handguns is a safety deposit box. That suggestion might provoke cries of "that's illegal" but so far as I know the issue is decided by each state's laws about where firearms are prohibited. I haven't checked any but my own home state's law on the subject and there is no such prohibition. You can check a summary of each state's laws online through packing.org (http://www.packing.org). Look at the top of the page for "state ccw info." Of course you should be discreet.

Me, I would not simply ask an off-campus friend or relative to store your guns. You would have responsibility if they were misused or stolen.

I urge you to not break the law by carrying illegally, especially not on or near any school. It's likely that you will be discovered. Then you face the prospect of becoming a felon, spend time in jail, be expelled from school, and find yourself unable to get admitted to another school. Think it through. What do you do with the gun when you take a shower, strip for physical education courses, or go on a date? What happens when people bump into you as you walk through crowded halls or stairways or take a crowded elevator? What prevents a roommate or acquaintance from reporting you or sharing your secret with other people? More important, to me at least, why start this phase of your life by making a deliberate decision to cheat and lie? Use the university to develop your moral and ethical capacity, not to destroy it. Become a better person, not worse.

Whoever advised you that it's a good idea to live on campus for at least your freshman year has given you excellent advice. It's not only a matter of making friends but also a way to get some of the pressure daily life off you so you can cope better with all the other pressures you'll encounter in a new environment. Student residences also are information distribution centers for such things as local and school events, clubs, and policies. Unfortunately they're often noisy places that are more conducive to partying than studying. Whether that's what you want depends on why you're in school. They're certainly a valid part of the university experience, though, and it might be a shame to miss that part.

GunnySkox
October 2, 2005, 04:31 AM
Here at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi!), it's really easy to just roll on down to the Campus PD and register/store your firearms. You fill out a form with your name, the serial number, make and model of your guns, and all you have to do to check them in and out is pop down to the PD, flash your student ID, grab your gun, and go (unfortunately, they don't store ammo [not enough space in the lockers], so there's, like, 250 rounds of ammunition just hanging around in my car, in a locked box).

~GnSx
"That was FUN!" ~Friend Nina, after shooting for the first time today.

c_yeager
October 2, 2005, 05:22 AM
A lot of large schools have public safety/police buildings that provide storage for student's firearms. This used to be the normal way of doing things. Even the liberal mecca of Western Washington University (putting the L into Liberal Arts since 1800 and something) provided firearms storage with 24/7 access. You usually have to dig pretty deep into the handbook to find out about it though. Don't even bother asking your R.A. about it unless you know for a fact that they arent a jerk (and you dont know this, ever).

Alternatly I suppose that you could rent out a nice secure storage unit, prefferably climate controlled, although that seems like a silly way of spending money to me.

El Tejon
October 2, 2005, 10:23 AM
We used our guitar cases in the dorm rooms. A lot of people at Indiana University played "guitar". :D

I'd go off-campus if you can arrange it.

So, to which universities are you applying, nate?

natedog
October 2, 2005, 11:26 AM
I haven't applied anywhere yet, but I'm looking at Rice University, Vanderbilt University, UC Santa Barbara, and Reed College, with a pretty strong preference towards Reed. The plan right now is for a Political Science major (or pre-law if I go to Rice), followed up by law school somewhere.

ChickenHawk
October 2, 2005, 12:25 PM
+1 on checking the rules in the state where you will go to school.

In Texas it is illegal to carry (even if you have a CHL) at any school. You can drive through and drop your kid off, but if you set foot on their property (which you kinda have to do if you are the student!) you may not carry.

Absolutely do not disregard the law. If you do and you get caught you may well regret the results.

BTW- Anyone recommending you break the law is also violating the rules of THR.

Regards,
ChickenHawk

Flyboy
October 2, 2005, 12:38 PM
Azrael:
What school? PM if you prefer.

Rob1035
October 2, 2005, 12:50 PM
I've always heard that its best to live on campus your freshman year to make friends and such. Any truth to that?

I wholeheartedly agree.

johnmcl
October 2, 2005, 12:52 PM
Hi all,

When I was in college during the Civil War, more appropriately known as the War of Northern Agression (WONA), I rented a closet at a commercial storage facility and put a hundred dollar Stack-on type gun unit in there. It worked out fine for the $50 a month in rent.

John

The Grand Inquisitor
October 2, 2005, 02:04 PM
Reed!!!! Wow, that's a pretty out there school, but I almost went there myself (I go to the University of Iowa).

First off, you may just want to leave them home for a year with your parents until next year when you can get your own apartment and freely store them. Don;t listen to any of the yutzes here and bring them with you into the dorm, as you are liable to get arrested, kicked out of the dorm, and possibly kick out of school for doing that. Bringing any contraband into dorms is becoming increasingly verboten, but guns are light years ahead of bongs and bottles of cheap vodka - don't do it!

That being said, unless your school has one of those awful "must live in dorm" policies you really should take out a few grand extra from your student loan (I don;t have any help paying for school so I take out big loans every semester) and get a nice, small apartment for yourself.

You won't have to put up with fellow annoying 18 year olds (sorry...they just are), you won't get fat eating all that tasty dorm food, you won;t have to use communal toilets and showers (Ach du Lieber!) and you'll be able to have whatever the hel| you want in your apartment! Yes, that means you'll be able to set your bong right next to the bed if you like!

All that being said, I wouldn't skip living on campus out of hand just because you can't keep your guns with you. Illicit sex is always just around the corner when you live in the dorms (and if you go to a school like Reed...well, you will likely have *quite* a bit of enjoyment) and you're usually in the center of campus life. When you go away to school you should concentrate on getting yourself ready to have a bang-up first semester - pure 5.0 GPA (although at Reed you don't really get grades...) so that you can set a pace for yourself that will lead to excellence. Don't worry so much about your guns while you are at school - it will be nice once and a while to go to the range (if you don;t have a car to get to a range...why bother even having them?) but that should not be your main concern - you need to concentrate on your studies.

PS - Don't do pre-law - it looks bad on a law school application. Poly Sci isn't much better - Everyone who wants to go to law school does Poly Sci. Do something different, and show that you are an individual with real interests that really wants to get new things done. Almost all of the top Med and Law schools are looking for people who do more than the traditional tracks to get there because it shows that they have tried new things and been put in new situations that they can think themselves through. Do what you are interested in (and if that *really* is Poly Sci then go for it) and work hard, and nothing will be out of your reach.

Azrael256
October 2, 2005, 04:52 PM
Azrael: What school? PM if you prefer. Oklahoma City University. The university in the Metro without suicide bombers. You know, serving the community in the United Methodist tradition in the middle of a thriving metropolis. Nobody knows just what that means, but apparently it's what we do. Come by, we can go have a beer.

marklbucla
October 2, 2005, 05:08 PM

Yes. I'm not the most social person in the world and staying in the dorms the first two years of my undergrad made a big difference. It has its ups and downs, but I'd highly recommend it through it all. College wouldn't have been the same had I stayed at home or in an apartment the whole time.

About your major: If you're considering something different for your undergrad en route to Law School, try looking into Philosophy, Math, or some sort of engineering degree. I've heard that philosophy is actually a great major because you're doing a lot of argument writing, or at least I did in the two or three lower division classes I took. Same idea behind Math. Both majors are about writing proofs which would be good for a Pre-Law background.

About your guns: I'm pretty sure in ********** that you're allowed to keep unloaded guns in your trunk. At least I believe it was legal after reading that 60 some page book or whatever. Just don't even open up your trunk within 1000 feet or yards of the school.

BTW, how did you narrow your list down to those schools? No matter what you do, just make sure that you know what you're getting into when committing to a school. There's a lot of stuff to ask that you can't find out by just looking at an online catalog/website.

greg531mi
October 2, 2005, 05:20 PM
Try Michigan Tech, in the UP of Michigan. The Dorms have Gun Lockers. So many hunters there, and thousands of acres of Public Hunting lands!!!!
They even have an indoor shooting range, and you can rent a 22 pistol there for practice!!!

Scottmkiv
October 2, 2005, 05:29 PM
I would be very hesitant to bring a gun into a campus dorm where it is agaisnt the rules/illegal.

Campus security can pretty much wander in whenever they please, and they very well might if they here a rumor that you have a gun, or if you are justhaving a party. Maintenance, and other staff will have keys to your room, and will come in from time to time without any sort of warning.

Telperion
October 2, 2005, 06:05 PM
Living on-campus for at least your first year is something I would recommend. Most of my good friends from college are people who lived in the same dorm, same floor as I did my freshman year. It is likely you will end up being closer friends with your collegemates than any of your high school friends, simply because you are living with them. At my school, there were some incoming freshmen who turned in their housing deposits late and either got stuck in university-owned off-campus apartments or stuffed into upperclassmen dorm vacancies when somebody decided last-minute to live off-campus. These people eventually did fine (or maybe I just met the most outgoing of them), but they missed out on an important social experience. Apartments and upperclassmen dorms are like hotels -- people come in, go out, but don't talk much; by the end of your second year, you've mostly found your place socially, and people tend to be less outgoing with their neighbors.

I didn't get interested in shooting until about the time I graduated, but I would not recommend keeping guns on-campus even if you wish to disregard the rules. In my freshman year, people left their doors open almost all of the time, and people would come by all the time to visit. This can be a great social environment, but is sure not a secure environment. Theft is assuredly the most prevalent crime on any college campus. If the college doesn't have a shooting club with storage, consider renting your own storage at a secure, climate controlled facility.

odysseus
October 2, 2005, 06:15 PM
A lot of sage advice here.

Look, don't bring your weapons on campus period unless it is a sanctioned event such as target shooting (which anyway those are controlled pretty strictly).

Bottomline, if you don't want to get into possible jail time and definite expulsion just realize that they have their rules. Right or wrong, it's in most every campus I know. Even knives are controlled, now while those are often overlooked, if wanted it can be used against you. If you want to live on campus, you voluntarily have chosen to accept those rules. Get your education, make good friends, and move on in life.

I like what another also said here. I lived on campus for a time during my collegiate times, and in no way would consider my area secure for storaging items I would care for being secured.

If you can, live off campus. There your privacy and rights are more in place - but there is a cost/benefit to everything.

Zonamo
October 2, 2005, 07:02 PM
a pretty strong preference towards Reed
Reed? You're a masochist, aren't you?

For what it is worth, here is Reed's weapons policy. Note that unlike many universities they don't bother to mention the exclusion "except as allowed by law."

Weapons
Firearms are prohibited on the Reed College campus. Anyone found to be in possession of a firearm will be subject to the appropriate college disciplinary procedure, and the firearm will be remanded to the care of the community safety office. Ammunition, explosive devices, fireworks, weapons of any kind, and any other material or device determined by the college to pose a present or potential danger to people or property are strictly forbidden in the residence halls.

What Oregon law says is:

166.370 Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building or court facility; exceptions; discharging firearm at school.

(1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

(f) Possession of a firearm on school property if the firearm:
(A) Is possessed by a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing the firearm; and
(B) Is unloaded and locked in a motor vehicle."

So, it is apparently legal under Oregon law for you to keep your firearm unloaded and locked in your car, even if it is parked on campus. Not the best solution, but legal. And no guarantee you won't still get expelled at a place like Reed and have to fight for your right, legal or not.

If you do decide to leave your weapon in a vehicle, you might want to invest in one of these:

http://www.truckvault.com/products/sports/sedan/trunkvault.asp

Fletchette
October 2, 2005, 07:48 PM
Natedog,

Do NOT store them in your car - they will get stolen. All campuses are notorious for auto theft/ break in.

Also, do NOT store them at the local campus police station. They will also get stolen, "misplaced" or taken to the range. Personal experience here.

Eh. I met a couple of friends in the dorms, but by and large you make friends doing what you like to do. So don't do anything simply to "make friends" if you wouldn't otherwise find it remotely interesting. Also, dorms are very noisy. I don't know what your study habits are, or your major, but don't plan on getting good grades if you live in the dorms.

MillCreek
October 2, 2005, 08:06 PM
I heartily endorse the comments as to not break the law and possibly commit a felony by bringing firearms onto a campus that bans them. If you do so, are caught and convicted, you will likely be unable to ever get a carry permit. Since you are also interested in the law, know that a felony conviction is usually sufficient cause to reject an application to be admitted to the state bar or other types of professional licensing bodies, such as a license to practice medicine, depending on the type of felony. If the college does not offer secure on-site storage, than renting a storage locker is probably the best option.

I finished undergrad and grad school before the original poster was born. :cool: If you want to be a serious student, not all of the dorms will facilitate this. I never lived in on-campus housing; having rented various houses with roommates up until my senior year, when I was able to afford my own apartment. So I would tend to have a bias towards off-campus housing, but I realize that university rules and/or finances may not permit this.

But the bottom line of my posting is to not knowingly violate the law and risk the serious legal consequences that may ensue for someone in your situation.

Andrew Rothman
October 2, 2005, 08:21 PM
I urge you to not break the law by carrying illegally, especially not on or near any school...More important, to me at least, why start this phase of your life by making a deliberate decision to cheat and lie? Use the university to develop your moral and ethical capacity, not to destroy it. Become a better person, not worse.

I vigorously reject the premise that legality defines ethics or morality.

Would you lie to the Third Reich? Would you cheat the Devil?

Being a moral and ethical person is ever so much more difficult than being a law-abiding one.

If you decide disobeying the law is the ethical thing to do, however, you must be prepared to accept the consequences.

As for living on campus, I agree that there are many benefits. Dormitory situations vary widely, from very decent on-campus places to live, all the way to barracks of immature, drunken slobs who will make your life a living hell.

I know -- I've lived in both.

Let your investigations involve a visit. Find out WHICH dorm the freshmen males will be herded into, then visit it on a Friday morning and a Friday night.

natedog
October 2, 2005, 10:55 PM
Zonamo, would you describe Reed as being particuarly punishing because of its academics, or some other reason?

MillCreek
October 3, 2005, 01:45 AM
I am familiar with Reed College, having been accepted as a student there and knowing many alumni. I chose not to go there, but only since it was not very strong in my chosen major and due to the cost. Reed is famous for the rigor of its academic curriculum. I was a National Merit scholar, and at any one time, Reed has many such among its student body. It is also in a beautiful setting in metropolitan Portland.

Reed is a very strong school in many different academic areas, although it does tend to specialize in liberal arts majors. It is not all that strong in the physical sciences. Although at one time, Reed was one of the very few undergrad schools to have a working nuclear reactor on campus, for its nuclear engineering curriculum.

jefnvk
October 3, 2005, 01:44 PM
I understand that some colleges or universities still have a rifle or pistol team, and that at least some of them have facilities for securing firearms owned by students.

Time for my MI Tech plug, that greg already threw in. If you are considering engineering of some sort (seems like you aren't), give it a thought.

What happens here is you fill out a 'Weapons Registration' form. It has your name, local address, and make/model/caliber of the weapon. Take that to the dorm's MA, she'll give you a lock. In the basement is a gun room, everyone gets their own locker. Your guns go in your locker, which you have the combo for. The only other person with the combo for your locker is the MA, and to actually open your locker without your permission involves paperwork on their part.

The only bad part is that the room remains locked, you need an RA to open the outer door for you. Usually isn't a problem, but the on-duty RA's have a habit of not being where they are supposed to be. And there really isn;t anywhere to clean guns, you gotta do that before leaving wherever you were shooting.

Try Michigan Tech, in the UP of Michigan. The Dorms have Gun Lockers. So many hunters there, and thousands of acres of Public Hunting lands!!!!
They even have an indoor shooting range, and you can rent a 22 pistol there for practice!!!

Yep, indoor pistol range, there is a bullseye pistol club, an IDPA type club, and competition rifle team. Pistol club does rent .22 pistols, and I believe some .357 revolvers. Rifle team provides the rifles, Win 52's and Anschutz somethings. And LOTS of paper company land for shooting/hunting.

For other colleges, you gotta weigh the risks. Sure, you could probably get away with hiding a pistol somewhere in your room. BUT, if you are caught, you could be in lots of trouble. Personally, getting kicked out of college is not worth it to me to go shooting, but that is a decision only you can make.

Another thing I know a few ranges do is to provide gun lockers for a monthly fee. Maybe somewhere around there has something like that.

Oh, and dorms are great (and usually mandatory for some time). Spend a year or two there, and then get with some buddies and get a house. That is my plan.

8Balls
October 3, 2005, 02:11 PM
Heh, I always thought you guys lived in CIVILIZED[ country...
I live in campus area. Booze is allowed, ammo is limited 20 000 /apartment, guns allowed too. Actually right now I have:
AK103 in my closet
Silenced CZ Kadet pistol in my drawer, next to G17. And we have IPSC team, hunting club and organization for ex-mil types... :D

Kramer Krazy
October 3, 2005, 02:34 PM
For a month or so, I kept a two 1989 Colt Government Model 1911s and a 1990 Colt AR-15 in my dorm room at Clemson University with about 200-300 rounds of ammo. I had a buddy with a Springfield 1911 in his room, and another guy (the son of the guy I got my AR-15 from) sometimes would have one (Springfield 1911) in his room. Did anyone else know of the firearms on our hall? Nope.......Would I do it, again?....Officially speaking...Nope, probably not. :evil:

Billy the Kid
October 3, 2005, 02:46 PM
You keep it in your dorm, just like everyone who isnt supposed to have drugs or alcohol does. I dont see why this would be any differnt. Bring a little safe with you and keep it in your closet.

My roomate and I had 2 refrigerators when we lived on campus, both filled with alcohol and jello shots all the time. And we were both underaged and living in a "dry" house. Which meant they were illegal. The RA's never found it because we kept the fridges in our closets and our jackets on top of them.

Guy de Loimbard
October 3, 2005, 04:09 PM
Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm currently attending Mich. Tech in Houghton, and live in one of the halls. They do have armories in the basements, but it is a pain to have to ask the RA every time you want to go shooting, and every time you get back. One of my MA's told me if I couldn't find the RA (when I got back) to just keep it in my dorm until the RA was in. I've done that on three separate occasions now, and probably have had it in my dorm a total of one week out of the six I've been here.

It wouldn't be hard at all to keep it in my dorm room all the time providing that it couldn't be seen with the door open. The RA's here don't care about things that aren't blatently obvious. If you want to get the RA's attention, you have to do something on the order of what someone a few doors down from me did (microwave a lightbulb).

jefnvk
October 3, 2005, 04:53 PM
Hey, you anyone I know Guy? And what MA told you that? You must not be in DHH.

idakfan
October 3, 2005, 05:25 PM
Rent off campus. Don't get a downstairs apartment either, and try to find something QUIET.

Who can sleep without a SLR w/30round mag next to them?!

I think that at the University of Montana Missoula you can carry handguns in your backpack (read up on this). Pretty sure the only University where you're not a sitting duck for a madman on a shooting rampage.

Creeping Incrementalism
October 3, 2005, 05:26 PM
I live in campus area. Booze is allowed, ammo is limited 20 000 /apartment, guns allowed too. Actually right now I have:
AK103 in my closet
Silenced CZ Kadet pistol in my drawer, next to G17. And we have IPSC team, hunting club and organization for ex-mil types...

Is the ammo limit to keep the upper-story floors from collapsing?

Anyway, regarding college, I would say live off-campus if you have the money, having done both for a number of years. The only advantage to living on-campus is that on Friday or Saturday night, you can wander around asking everyone you know "So what are you doing tonight" until you hear something that sounds good, and the drunk bus will bring you home for free. Also it's really convenient to go home if you happen to be partying in someone else's room.

A better way to make friends is to join clubs. It's like when you were a little kid... at first, your friends were just whoever you lived next to but only because you didn't know any better, and once you got older, you started hanging out with people you really liked. I don't know why you'd want to go back once you get to college.

Ditto on what everyone else said about the problems of keeping guns or anything else in college. At my school there were a ton of break-ins over winter break one year. They even stole people's pillowcases to put their loot into. There was no forced entry in this incident, and about 6 rooms got hit.

marklbucla, in California you are not allowed to possess any guns in your car unless you are allowed to carry concealed (CA is a gun-unfriendly shall-issue state), or you are going to/coming from a place where it's legal to shoot.

Fletchette
October 3, 2005, 11:21 PM
Land of the free?

AK103 in my closet
Silenced CZ Kadet pistol in my drawer, next to G17. And we have IPSC team, hunting club and organization for ex-mil types...

I wish I could disagree, but I can't. You are witnessing a great nation in its death throws. Pay attention. Don't allow it to happen in your country.

jefnvk
October 3, 2005, 11:41 PM
Another thing to think about if you decide to keep it in your room. Your room is not necessarialy a private place. Even if you keep to yourself and don't socialize much, chances are that your roommate will.

Most everyone around here constantly has people in and out of their rooms. Many times, people you don't know. People drift in and out, your roommate may have buddies over, people looking for help with work, people wanting to do stuff. That is what concerns me the most with leaving them in a room, just the amount of people that are in and out every day, especially the ones I don't know.

And if you do not know your roommate(s), it is probably not a good idea, at least until you do get to know them. First off, you can't keep track of your stuff when they are there and you aren't. And they have access to anything in the room, just like you. Second, if you are ever caught, you could potentially drag them into trouble too. Third, and probably the most likely, if they know you have a gun (probably won't be a secret forever), and things don't end up going so well between you two, it is one more thing you have to worry about, them turning you in or claiming you threatened them.

8balls, you can do that in the dorms of Finland?

8Balls
October 4, 2005, 05:01 AM
Jep, dorms are just like any other apartment. Doesnt matter whether its on/off-campus... 20k limit= in case of fire/accidents.

jefnvk
October 4, 2005, 09:04 AM
Ah. Here, for the most part, dorms are not treated as any other apartment. They are quite a bit more regulated in everything you do.

Guy de Loimbard
October 4, 2005, 09:49 AM
I can't remember the MA's name, but I know it was the one who lives closer to the laundromat in our building. I'm in Mcnair hall.

My roomies socializing doesn't bother me. When I have it in my dorm room, I keep my piece locked up with the rest of my valubles (ammunition, DVD collection etc).

You just might know me jef. PM me if you would please.

NoahFN
October 4, 2005, 10:18 AM
While I was in college I kept most of my firearms at my parents house. They lived within a 2 hour drive, so I could go home and shoot them when I wanted for the most part.

I did choose to live off of campus with some friends from highschool. In Ohio, having any firearm on state university property means immediate and automatic expulsion. I lived in an apartment complex right next to campus and kept atleast 1 pistol there with me. One of my roomates was gun friendly, 2 weren't. I recommend you try to find someone gun friendly to live with, if at all possible.

I do believe there is value to living in the dorms. Sometimes wish I had spent atleast a year there, developing friends and getting a little taste of that part of the college experience. The group of friends I have now all met while living in the dorm, and I later found out that my girlfriend was in the same dorm at the same time.

k_dawg
October 4, 2005, 03:30 PM
You should look up the laws for your specific state.

In Florida, the law explicitely says you may have a firearm on school property, provided it is locked in your vehicle ( there's a few other details, I can pull the law if anyone wants ).

You may also have it unlocked in your vehicle, should you have a CWP. Of course, you may not remove it from your vehicle on school property.

perception
October 4, 2005, 04:13 PM
Vanderbilt University

Note that in Tennessee, you cannot have a firearm on campus PERIOD. Not in the car, or even just passing through.

Turtle Club
October 4, 2005, 06:38 PM
I went to Ohio State University, when I was a Freshmen they tryed to tell me I had to live on campus untill my junior year. I was not about to live in such filth, grime and chaos such as having 6 or more suitemates (1 dormate, 4 dorms to a suite) with the whole floor sharing a bathroom. So I went to the doctor and told him about my fear of public restroom facilities, public housing quarters. I was able to convince him that I had chronic obsession compusive disorder regarding cleanliness, and that a public dormroom would be determental to my learning capabilites. I was granted off campus privledges. If we pay for college, I do not see that they have the right to babysit me and tell me where to sleep, when to be in my dorm and when to eat. If I wanted that, I would have joined the Army. So I rented a room from a very nice elderly woman for $50,plus I mowed her lawn weekly and kept her car in tune and helped her with shopping. The point is..think outside the box.

Zonamo
October 4, 2005, 11:43 PM
Zonamo, would you describe Reed as being particuarly punishing because of its academics, or some other reason?

It's not the academics. Princeton Review ranks Reed as number 1 in overall academic experience.

It's because they also make the list at 6th for

Birkenstock-Wearing, Tree-Hugging, Clove-Smoking Vegetarians

8th for schools

Most nostalgic for Bill Clinton

and 11th for

Dodgeball Targets

Like I said, your a masochist. :neener:

And I agree with those above who say don't use your car-was just pointing out that it appears to be the only legal way to have your guns on campus.

natedog
October 5, 2005, 12:02 AM
Those things tend not to bother me. One and two would pretty accurately describe most of the friends I have now (but not myself). The hippies at my school are generally friendlier, smarter, and kinder than the vast majority of other students, who are usually only interested in dipping, pick-up trucks, and football. If I want an intelligent discussion on literature, music, movies, etc, I know where to turn.

Zonamo
October 5, 2005, 12:14 AM
If I want an intelligent discussion on literature, music, movies, etc, I know where to turn.

All kiddin' aside, Reed is a great school and you will be sure to get a lot of intelligent discussion there. It was on my own son's list when he was deciding on a college last year.

I called him a masochist too :p

natedog
October 5, 2005, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the advice. None of these places are set in stone, who knows where I'll want to go next week...

Zonamo
October 5, 2005, 12:39 AM
I wish you good luck on the search natedog. I know its a tough decision, especially for a bright and accomplished young man who has many opportunities to choose from.

Have you seen this site yet? It has info on schools that goes beyond just academics. They consider Reed a great school too:

Colleges That Change Lives (http://www.ctcl.com/index.php)

If you enjoyed reading about "Where to keep guns when staying on campus?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!